Author Topic: 2023 BMW M2 OFFICIAL  (Read 16197 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2023 BMW M2 OFFICIAL
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2023, 08:48:26 am »
I've now started to engage with the local (2 hours away) dealer just to see if I were interested in ordering an M2, when should I start the process and put a deposit down.  I also have a lot of questions about dealer markups, forced options, and other dealer add ons.  I may have to put a deposit down sooner rather than later even though I have no plans or ability to buy until April 2025.  It's the world we live in though.  I've already accepted that the majority of vehicles I have on my list won't be available for test drives so I'll be relying heavily from reviews and other people's experience with them.

Surely you could test drive some used stuff if you visit Montreal or Toronto at some point.
I don't think there is much chance that even in a years time, there will be a current generation M2 available for test drive anywhere in the country.  The best I can do is test drive a current M240.  Which is okay because I ordered my old Golf R without test driving one and basing my decision off the current gen GTI of that time.

Nah man, there is always availability of lightly used hot models on the market not long after they go on sale for everything but the most obscure models. There over 40 2022 GT3s on AutoTrader right now, for example.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2023, 08:52:58 am »
I've now started to engage with the local (2 hours away) dealer just to see if I were interested in ordering an M2, when should I start the process and put a deposit down.  I also have a lot of questions about dealer markups, forced options, and other dealer add ons.  I may have to put a deposit down sooner rather than later even though I have no plans or ability to buy until April 2025.  It's the world we live in though.  I've already accepted that the majority of vehicles I have on my list won't be available for test drives so I'll be relying heavily from reviews and other people's experience with them.

Surely you could test drive some used stuff if you visit Montreal or Toronto at some point.
I don't think there is much chance that even in a years time, there will be a current generation M2 available for test drive anywhere in the country.  The best I can do is test drive a current M240.  Which is okay because I ordered my old Golf R without test driving one and basing my decision off the current gen GTI of that time.

Nah man, there is always availability of lightly used hot models on the market not long after they go on sale for everything but the most obscure models. There over 40 2022 GT3s on AutoTrader right now, for example.
I'm comfortable doing what I did when I bought the Golf R, basing my decision on reviews and test driving the model below it.  This could end up being the least amount of vehicles I've ever test drove before buying and by far the biggest purchase outside our home.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2023, 09:27:46 am »
I'm with you, I don't have a problem buying cars sight unseen.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2023, 09:39:03 am »
Oh :censor:, the sales person just got back to me from the BMW dealer.  I asked about "market adjustments", he originally said "Market adjustments can be expected these days."  But it almost seemed like he wasn't really understanding what I was asking.  So I clarified that I didn't mean changes to the MSRP, but a mark up that a dealer adds and controls above MSRP.  This is what he said back "Our dealership does not charge additional premiums on new cars."  So I'm going to assume that means no dealer mark ups under any term.  Mind you there is a $499 admin fee, but I'm fine with that.

Now if only there was a lift on reviews of the new BMW M2 and I could actually gauge how good it is.  If it's as good as I expect, it could be the one.  Might have to start a new thread discussing my thought process.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2023, 12:29:13 pm »
Oh :censor:, the sales person just got back to me from the BMW dealer.  I asked about "market adjustments", he originally said "Market adjustments can be expected these days."  But it almost seemed like he wasn't really understanding what I was asking.  So I clarified that I didn't mean changes to the MSRP, but a mark up that a dealer adds and controls above MSRP.  This is what he said back "Our dealership does not charge additional premiums on new cars."  So I'm going to assume that means no dealer mark ups under any term.  Mind you there is a $499 admin fee, but I'm fine with that.

Now if only there was a lift on reviews of the new BMW M2 and I could actually gauge how good it is.  If it's as good as I expect, it could be the one.  Might have to start a new thread discussing my thought process.

A buddy just bought a new M3 locally and there was no ADM.  Seems like BMW is at least holding MSRP which is good. 

I drove his M3 (albeit with winter tires and it is AWD) and it is faking superb.  I can only imagine what the M2 will be like.  Future classic, no doubt as well.  In fact, I am thinking of selling the Lexus for one....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2023, 12:56:19 pm »

A buddy just bought a new M3 locally and there was no ADM.  Seems like BMW is at least holding MSRP which is good. 

There are some loopholes but for the most part, there should not be ADM in Canada...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2023, 12:57:40 pm »

I drove his M3 (albeit with winter tires and it is AWD) and it is faking superb.  I can only imagine what the M2 will be like.  Future classic, no doubt as well.  In fact, I am thinking of selling the Lexus for one....
Very nice, did he have an existing relationship with that BMW dealer prior to that purchase?  I don't mind a $499 admin as long as I don't get hit with some crazy market adjustment/dealer markup BS.  I know they don't make a mountain of money on new car sales and it is kind of a privilege to buy a vehicle like this or your friends M3.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2023, 12:59:03 pm »

There are some loopholes but for the most part, there should not be ADM in Canada...
From what I see, the Admin fee is typically some kind of added roadside hazard, key replacement, BS coverage that they tack on.  I think that's likely how most dealers get past the whole "no ADM" loophole.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2023, 12:59:26 pm »

I remember when I was looking at the first gen (to Canada) Type R Civic.  Local dealers would add $800 worth of add ons and price it an additional $10K.  A local dealer had an auction on one unit.  I am not sure how (or why) Honda Canada permitted this trickery.  Or when the Dodge Demon came out.  Local dealer asking $200K for it.

So what are these loopholes?

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:21 pm »

Very nice, did he have an existing relationship with that BMW dealer prior to that purchase?  I don't mind a $499 admin as long as I don't get hit with some crazy market adjustment/dealer markup BS.  I know they don't make a mountain of money on new car sales and it is kind of a privilege to buy a vehicle like this or your friends M3.

Good question.  It is his second BMW but I am not sure if his relationship with the dealer is anything special. Let me ask.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2023, 01:01:31 pm »

Good question.  It is his second BMW but I am not sure if his relationship with the dealer is anything special. Let me ask.
Only reason I ask was maybe they didn't charge him the admin fee because he was a returning customer and a bit of good will.  Would make sense.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2023, 04:32:45 pm »

Only reason I ask was maybe they didn't charge him the admin fee because he was a returning customer and a bit of good will.  Would make sense.

OK they charged him the admin fee, however, knocked 500 bucks off the selling price. Which tells me that there’s room that BMW Canada gives them to play with without affecting the dealers bottom line.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2023, 03:38:01 pm »

The PR guy at BMW Canada posted a pic of two M2s being off-loaded at HQ this week, so reviews should be forthcoming.  ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2023, 08:32:13 am »
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a43452901/2023-bmw-m2-drive/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-bmw-m2-first-drive-review/

https://driving.ca/reviews/first-drive/2023-bmw-m2-first-drive

Looks like a very decent sports car for the money.  Other than the exterior looks (which I'm only okay with), the only thing that is a bit disappointing is how heavy these have gotten.  At 3,800lbs it's a bit heavier than I'd like.  I know it's grown in size, features, etc, but I do wish they'd have made more of an effort to reduce the weight.  Especially considering the Toyota Supra weighs 3,343lbs with the manual and 3,400lbs with the automatic.  That's a sizeable 400+ pound difference.

If I was buying a BMW M car this would be it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2023, 08:49:02 am »

Looks like a very decent sports car for the money.  Other than the exterior looks (which I'm only okay with), the only thing that is a bit disappointing is how heavy these have gotten.  At 3,800lbs it's a bit heavier than I'd like.  I know it's grown in size, features, etc, but I do wish they'd have made more of an effort to reduce the weight.  Especially considering the Toyota Supra weighs 3,343lbs with the manual and 3,400lbs with the automatic.  That's a sizeable 400+ pound difference.

BMW Moncton's web site has one in inventory – no idea if it's actually there or just incoming, or if it's pre-sold.

I'm not sure whether I'd pick the M2 or the M3. The M3 is $15-20k more expensive as I'd spec it but also offers more interesting colours inside and out. And is obviously more practical.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2023, 09:14:21 am »

BMW Moncton's web site has one in inventory – no idea if it's actually there or just incoming, or if it's pre-sold.

I'm not sure whether I'd pick the M2 or the M3. The M3 is $15-20k more expensive as I'd spec it but also offers more interesting colours inside and out. And is obviously more practical.
Those are all fair things and consideration.  I prefer the color options on the M3 as well, at least on the outside.  I just don't want another sedan, don't want to pay $15-$20K more, and I HATE the front end on the M3/4 beaver tooth.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2023, 09:27:13 am »
Yeah that's fair as well. I am glad BMW at least offers us a few choices still.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2023, 09:44:34 am »
Yeah that's fair as well. I am glad BMW at least offers us a few choices still.
And manuals.  Have to give them props for staying in these categories and offering a choice of transmissions. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2023, 11:25:26 am »
Throttle House review....not the most flattering.  Hmmmm, this isn't exactly selling me on spending the extra money on this over a manual Supra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT4s_NWBN0

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2023, 11:56:32 am »
The Straight Pipes review was quite positive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGc8AC0Dcnw