Author Topic: public level 3 charging stations both plugs CCS combo  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
public level 3 charging stations both plugs CCS combo
« on: October 03, 2022, 08:28:02 pm »
We went over the Coquihalla and, of course, used several public level 3 charging stations.   We are wondering why many public level 3 charging stations are equipped with both plugs CCS combo when only one can be used at a time.  As an example, the Electrify Canada site in Hope, BC has four stations.  There are seven CCS combo plugs and one Chademo.  On three of the towers both plugs are CCS.  Why?  Only one plug can be used, only one car can be charged at a time.   Why not one of each type, CCS and Chademo at each station?

It was painful to watch and be a part of the lineup of Leaf's waiting for the Chademo sole plug when all four towers could be used by the CCS users. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: public level 3 charging stations both plugs CCS combo
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 04:48:52 pm »
 Yup . That 's why it must be painful owning an electric car and you want to make a long trip somewhere. Lineups to wait and charge . No thanks.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 06:36:10 pm »
Never happened to me.

BTW, lining up at Costco to save a few cents a litre is ok?   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:40:14 pm by Guy »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 07:08:41 pm »
Never could understand lining up at Costco to save a few pennies. I go to co-op, my fuel rewards were $478 last year, they work on a percentage of what you spend annually.

I refuse to line up for gas. Charging a car? No way. I’ll wait to zap up at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 07:34:28 pm »
Yup, that’s the way to go.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 07:44:58 pm »
Yup . That 's why it must be painful owning an electric car and you want to make a long trip somewhere. Lineups to wait and charge . No thanks.

Understood.  However our 796.12 km round trip plus run-about cost less than $30.  Can you do that with gas?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 07:58:32 pm »
Never happened to me.

I frequently go to Costco to fill up for gas because:

1) It's close to IQs work
2) It's Top Tier Gas
3) Savings are significant for Premium, as 3 of our 4 cars are Premium.  Today Premium is 20 cents per L cheaper at Costco. Plus we get another 5 cents off by using our Costco Mastercard. So 25 cents, per litre!  Our 3 cars have 65 lite fuel tanks, so do the math. So easily $10+ per car or so saved.  This is  significant sum over the course of a month.

I also have to wait in line, which sucks. A lot.  So I time it to see how long the wait is + fill up time.  Total time is 12-16 minutes.

So wake me up when you can wait in line in an EV AND have it fully charged in 15 minutes.   ;D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:15:22 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 07:52:58 am »
Never happened to me.

2) It's Top Tier Gas
3) Savings are significant for Premium, as 3 of our 4 cars are Premium.  Today Premium is 20 cents per L cheaper at Costco. Plus we get another 5 cents off by using our Costco Mastercard. So 25 cents, per litre!  Our 3 cars have 65 lite fuel tanks, so do the math. So easily $10+ per car or so saved.  This is  significant sum over the course of a month.

I also have to wait in line, which sucks. A lot.  So I time it to see how long the wait is + fill up time.  Total time is 12-16 minutes.

So wake me up when you can wait in line in an EV AND have it fully charged in 15 minutes.   ;D
With your shift, why aren't you in line at 6am when there is no line? I used to work near the Costco, so I'd fill up in the mornings on the way to work, at least 5 - 6 pumps free.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 08:06:14 am »
Never happened to me.

2) It's Top Tier Gas

You fill at Costco when you are local, not on a road trip right?

When I'm local, I recharge at home while I sleep.  ;)

So yes, go ahead and wake up.  ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 09:14:31 am »
Never happened to me.

I won't line up for anything.  ;D

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 02:18:21 pm »
Now that we have had our fun with lineups at Cosco, can we get back to the opening post question, why are many public level 3 charging stations are equipped with both plugs CCS combo when only one can be used at a time?  It is like having two identical nozzles on a gas pump when only one can be used.  We are all used to a choice at the pump for gas or diesel but never two gas nozzles.  That's my puzzle on charging stations.  Set up properly there is one CCS and one Chademo; take your choice.  Two CCS plugs makes no sense. 

My suspicion is that the squeeze is on to get rid of Chademo even though it is technically better.  We are reminded of the battle between VHS and Betamax cassette systems. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 03:02:51 pm »

Never happened to me.

2) It's Top Tier Gas

With your shift, why aren't you in line at 6am when there is no line? I used to work near the Costco, so I'd fill up in the mornings on the way to work, at least 5 - 6 pumps free.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Actually I usually slide in just before it closes at 930pm. No wait.

But on the days I wait it's typically in the mid afternoon.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:16 pm »
Now that we have had our fun with lineups at Cosco, can we get back to the opening post question, why are many public level 3 charging stations are equipped with both plugs CCS combo when only one can be used at a time? It is like having two identical nozzles on a gas pump when only one can be used.  We are all used to a choice at the pump for gas or diesel but never two gas nozzles.  That's my puzzle on charging stations.  Set up properly there is one CCS and one Chademo; take your choice.  Two CCS plugs makes no sense. 

My suspicion is that the squeeze is on to get rid of Chademo even though it is technically better.  We are reminded of the battle between VHS and Betamax cassette systems.

Edit: I believe new DC Fast charger with 2 CCS plug "would" have been design to deserve simultaneously two EV but never were those with both standard.
Have you notice/picture the model with 2 CCS that doesn't ?     

My guess for older one with ChadeMo & CCS is a) to support both "standard", older ChaDeMo that came here first from Japan with the Leaf & S.Korea with Soul but later, CCS becoming the facto standard, b) to avoid expensive grid fee (power demand), bigger transformer & distribution, avoid duplicate internal power electronics and dual user interface (HMI) but with the capability o deserve both client type. 

ChadeMo here N-A is close/almost already obsolete by today "standard". Sorry  :shuffle:

Incoming 2023 Nissan Ariya would carry CCS https://canada.nissannews.com/en-CA/releases/release-48d1dc0aafbda02de4f21b1680054503-nissan-ariya-press-kit
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:41:15 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 07:48:05 pm »
Is there a ChaDeMo to CCS adapter?

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 08:25:10 pm »

No; not yet.  I've seen some rather spurious ads online but they don't look right.  Curiously, there is a ChaDeMo to Tesla adapter.  There are over a million ChaDeMo users around the world so I expect pressure to make adapters or conversion kits but it is easier said than done.   CCS and ChaDeMo use different locking mechanisms so some micro processor interface is required. 

Personally, I'm not in a hurry but I can see the handwriting on the wall.  CCS is going to become the North American standard.   When that happens I'd like an adapter.  Until then the suppliers should continue to support ChaDeMo. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 08:26:45 pm »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 08:28:04 pm »

No, not to my knowledge.

Tesla had a ChadeMO to Tesla port but just made on sale in N-A, a CCS(-1) to Tesla port.CCS combo 1 Adapter for newer Tesla, older one need a hardware update.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:30:09 pm by me_2 »

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 02:43:06 pm »

No; not yet. 

No, not ever.

There's a very good chance you are right.   Vested interests and all that. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 03:47:53 pm »

No; not yet. 

No, not ever.

There's a very good chance you are right.   Vested interests and all that.
Well it's more complex.

You can't just make an adapter UNLESS there's electronics inside it because there's electronic "handshakes" that occur when you plug a charger in.

The adapter is the easy part...you could 3D print one.

The electronic handshake is the tricky part.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 08:50:04 pm »
You can't just make an adapter UNLESS there's electronics inside it because there's electronic "handshakes" that occur when you plug a charger in.

Yeah, I know.  Muxsan in the Netherlands makes a refit.  (scroll down to CCS fast charging upgrade. 

The number of electric vehicles adapted to CHAdeMO is very high. For example, CHAdeMO EVs, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi Outlander plug-in hybrid, Citroen C-ZERO, Peugeot iON, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, and Mitsubishi MINICAB-MiEV, Mitsubishi MINICAB-MiEV truck, Honda Fit electric version, Mazda DEMIO EV, Subaru Stella plug-in hybrid, Nissan eEV200, etc. 
Setek Power

Quite simply, as Chademo chargers are fazed out there will be increasing demand for a fix.