Author Topic: Air Canada to Acquire 30 ES-30 Electric Regional Aircraft from Heart Aerospace  (Read 7594 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
200km electric range…Here I thought 150kms in a EV car was low.  How many flights in Canada are 200kms?

Smells like a PR stunt to me. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
200km electric range…Here I thought 150kms in a EV car was low.  How many flights in Canada are 200kms?

Smells like a PR stunt to me.

Expensive PR stunt. Besides, it can go up to 800 km depending on number of passengers.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
How much is this going to cost? How long for ROI? Last I checked the airline industry wasn’t exactly overflowing with capital….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
I suppose that due to lower operating costs this will allow Air Canada to offer more regional flights.

Does anyone know what percentage of the operating costs go towards fuel?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I suppose that due to lower operating costs this will allow Air Canada to offer more regional flights.

Does anyone know what percentage of the operating costs go towards fuel?

There's no way Air Canada passes ANY of the savings to the customer. IMO of course.

And you'll probably end up paying more because "green".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:48:08 pm by rrocket »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Count me  out, not getting on electric plane :shake:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Same.

Not as an "early adopter" anyways.

Maybe when the tech is REALLY matured.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron

Same.

Not as an "early adopter" anyways.

Maybe when the tech is REALLY matured.
Going to take some time. Remember, planes take off heavy and land light. That’s not possible with electric. Even a hybrid will have many compromises in this regard.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile

There's no way Air Canada passes ANY of the savings to the customer. IMO of course.

And you'll probably end up paying more because "green".

Maybe.

But if fuel costs are a prohibitive factor for short flights, at least this will allow them to offer them.  From what I've gathered the airlines have been cutting back on these over the last few years.

I'd have no problem getting on an electric plane.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
How much is this going to cost? How long for ROI? Last I checked the airline industry wasn’t exactly overflowing with capital….

:rofl2: As if Air Canada applies practical thinking like ROI to any of their decisions.

Total PR stunt, to distract from the absolute :censor: show that Air Canada is. I'd be surprised if these planes materialize at all, shocked if all 30 turn up.

200km is a short drive BTW....who gets on a flight to travel 200km? By the time you travel to the airport, clear security, board, fly, get through another airport and then get some type of transit to your final destination you're not likely saving any time at all.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
Planes, maybe in future, Aviation is learned though crashes, and it is those early learning first improvement I'd be nervous for sure.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Victoria-Vancouver 64km, normally a 1.5 hour trip on the ferry plus wait times.
Comox-Vancouver 137km,  normally a 1.5 hour ferry trip plus 2 hour drive.
Ottawa-Montreal 150km on the dot
London-Toronto 143km

Lots of little connector flights all around.

Who? Oh lots of people will avoid driving that length of time. Or people who are traveling to a farther destination anyway.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
London-Toronto 143km

Who? Oh lots of people will avoid driving that length of time. Or people who are traveling to a farther destination anyway.

Forgot about the ferry crossings, probably relevant to some spots in NFLD too. Toronto-London or Ottawa - Montreal is ridiculous to fly.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

:rofl2: As if Air Canada applies practical thinking like ROI to any of their decisions.

Total PR stunt, to distract from the absolute :censor: show that Air Canada is. I'd be surprised if these planes materialize at all, shocked if all 30 turn up.

200km is a short drive BTW....who gets on a flight to travel 200km? By the time you travel to the airport, clear security, board, fly, get through another airport and then get some type of transit to your final destination you're not likely saving any time at all.

It could work, but only if you de-content the security/check-in process. 

Carry-on baggage only, minimal security process, etc.  Make it so that it's 15 min from your car until boarding.  Like a train.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Carry-on baggage only, minimal security process, etc.  Make it so that it's 15 min from your car until boarding.  Like a train.

Funny guy.

Have you considered a career in stand-up?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile

Funny guy.

Lol, my understanding is that air travel was like that - pre 9/11. It'll never be that way again, and frankly, as much as I hate the hassle of going through security and whatnot, I am not sure I'd feel comfortable getting on a plane with 'minimal security' either.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
London-Toronto 143km

Forgot about the ferry crossings, probably relevant to some spots in NFLD too. Toronto-London or Ottawa - Montreal is ridiculous to fly.

Hardly ridiculous if you have to connect somewhere anyways. Easy to say if you've lived in a place like Toronto your whole life though.  ;D

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

Funny guy.

Lol, my understanding is that air travel was like that - pre 9/11. It'll never be that way again, and frankly, as much as I hate the hassle of going through security and whatnot, I am not sure I'd feel comfortable getting on a plane with 'minimal security' either.

I'm old enough to remember the Eastern shuttle that ran every 60 minutes between Boston, NYC and Washington. No reservations and no buying tickets in advance. You went to the gate and lined up.  If the plane got full they just brought another one to the gate.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Funny guy.

I'm old enough to remember the Eastern shuttle that ran every 60 minutes between Boston, NYC and Washington. No reservations and no buying tickets in advance. You went to the gate and lined up.  If the plane got full they just brought another one to the gate.

Interesting, had never heard of that. Of course it was sold off to Donald Trump.  ;D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Shuttle

And it still exists to some extent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Shuttle