Author Topic: Firm's Keeper MGB  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Firm's Keeper MGB
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:12:27 am »
So, I finally did something with this car, came here to post an update and realized that I never even had an S&S on it - poor thing. The deal with this car, essentially, is that when I was 5 years old, my dad, as a serious MG guy at the time, had some foresight to buy MGBs for his kids while they were still cheap used cars, and stick them away for when we were old enough to enjoy them. Mine was purchased in 1994, I was 5, and my brother got one a year or so later, he was 3...Both super low mileage cars (21K on mine, 13K on my brothers) original cars.

Both cars got stored in the garage at the grandparents place and as little kids we'd play around in them when we'd visit, but they essentially sat. We would start them up once a year, take them around the block, maybe do a bit of maintenance, and put them back....By the time I was old enough to drive, I had already accumulated a couple other vehicles on my own, had multiple jobs, a girlfriend, etc....So interest at the time in putting the old MGB on the road was kinda limited. Life only got busier from there, so the annual ritual of pulling it out and spinning it around the block continued, but that's about it. So while I've revived a dozen or so MGBs, I've hardly touched this one, despite owning it forever.

In 2018 when I went to start it, it was really running bad, old fuel (even though I had been stabilizing it....we're talking a decade or more old) had gunked up the carb, which is the factory single Zenith Stromberg with the water choke. I pulled the carb, rebuilt it and got the car running well, then put it on casters and pushed it against the back wall. Where it sat until now.

I needed to physically move the car, so took the opportunity to get it properly registered, and put a bit of work in. I dropped in a battery and it shockingly started right up, and idled nicely, the brake and clutch hydraulics worked great having been rebuilt maybe 5-6 years ago, so I made the ~30 minute drive home to my place with it. On the drive it started running really rich, like richer than Bill Gates rich, and one of the front brakes was starting to bind up....minor issues I guess considering it's been off the road for 28 years.

The old ZS carb is known to be really finicky, and I spent a couple hours tuning it without much luck brining the mixture down. So, I turned my attention to the much hated water controlled automatic choke assembly. Disconnected it from the carb, used some masking tape as a make-shift choke-delete plate, and the car ran great! So, now I had to venture into rebuilding the choke assembly....Fortunately YouTube has some very helpful videos, and I happened to have a rebuild kit on hand, so an evening worth of work and the choke was fixed. Turns out it had a stuck jet that was just dumping extra fuel into the carb.

Bolted the choke back on, checked the tuning on the carb again, and boom, she's running perfect....As hated as these carbs are, a properly tuned one is an excellent performer.

The sticky caliper was a failing front flex line, also had a set of those on hand, so I swapped those this morning, bled the system, and went for a nice long shakedown run - trouble free! Still a couple little things to sort out, the horn is intermittent, and the fuel gauge is dead (I suspect a sunk float in the tank), but otherwise a nice driving car.

With it running well I tackled a couple little cosmetic things today. First replaced the falling under hood insulation with some of that reflective foil stuff I had pre-cut extras when I did another project MGB. Then, I installed an accessory (MOSS Motors) trunk carpet kit that I had gotten for Christmas in 2006! The trunk was ugly as someone had crudely undercoated it, this really tidied it up.

I am on vacation this week, so between family day-trips I'll continue tinkering. I'd like to do a paint correction and a good detail, and maybe tackle that fuel sending unit if I can source the gasket I need this week. The whole thing is sorta surreal to me as I am working on this car with my 4 year old son, who is only a little younger than I was when I started working on this car with my dad.

Where it sat, at least since 2018....It was on the adjacent wall before that.

Home after it's maiden voyage

BEFORE of the trunk

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:32:09 am by Firm »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Firm's Keeper MGB
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 12:45:52 am »
Amazing story. That thing looks new!

Remember reading back in the day that Brits did not spare the materials to build their cars

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 07:38:15 am »
Such a pity it has those rubber bumpers.  apart from that...awesome.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:02:44 am »
Man, what a cool story.  Props to your dad for planning the car bug.

It's so so clean!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:08:21 am »
Great story!  The car looks great and appears to have Firm Jr's approval.  :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:12:35 am »
Geat update and great story! Oh to have a warehouse full of them when they were cheap, plentiful and still in faire shape...

I never disliked the rubber bumpers on the B and the Midget - they did a fine job of integrating them to the body's design.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 10:44:54 am »
Car looks fantastic. Nice to hear it needed only minor fettling.

One the "rubber" bumpers I think they did a great job on the MG B. The Midget is less successful in my eyes.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 10:52:02 am »

One the "rubber" bumpers I think they did a great job on the MG B. The Midget is less successful in my eyes.

The Spitfire had the less successful integration...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 11:06:17 am »
Love that this thing is finally out. I think this is finally the year that Firm tosses me the keys to an MG to try - it's been on my car guy to-drive list forever!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 11:38:18 am »
Cool story Firm, and I love the colour.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 12:02:17 pm »

Sure. The Spitfire is worst but at least impacted for the least amount of time. The add on bumper :censor: on the Jaguar E-Type were pretty bad too. Most of the MG Midgets I've seen have had their front bumper warp in the middle from heat/exposure. The Midget was more impacted by the massive weight increase on either end as well (plus it got the 1500 engine out of the Spitfire which is generally considered not an upgrade).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 12:13:42 pm »

Sure. The Spitfire is worst but at least impacted for the least amount of time. The add on bumper :censor: on the Jaguar E-Type were pretty bad too. Most of the MG Midgets I've seen have had their front bumper warp in the middle from heat/exposure. The Midget was more impacted by the massive weight increase on either end as well (plus it got the 1500 engine out of the Spitfire which is generally considered not an upgrade).

I prefer the rubber battering rams on my TR6, and those that were added to the '74¼ MGB for a few months - elegance of the chrome bumpers and pratical protection from parking mishaps.

E-Type wasn't perfect up front, but not too bad in the rear:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 09:04:49 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Firm Jr's impression has made a total 180, when he first saw it, it was spewing black smoke and making loud pops, and Mrs.Firm was in the driveway registering her displeasure with the thing. So the poor kid said "It's garbage, get a new one"  ::) I told him that we'd fix it...and he spent the better part of the day working on it with me, and the next morning when it was running properly couldn't wait to go for a ride. Now he's been telling everyone that'll listen that we 'fixed the MGB', most of these people (neighbors, strangers at the park, etc) have no clue what he's on about....

As for the rubber bumpers, I agree that the MGB execution was definitely the best styling wise...And Dent is right about the Midgets warping - looks terrible. I am just generally not a big fan of Midgets....MGBs are small enough, if I was going to go smaller than that I'd have a Spitfire over a Midget.

There's more to the rubber bumper thing on MGBs than just the appearance of the bumpers though. Both positive and negatives; higher ride height (softer handling), the change to the single Stromberg carb and all the smog junk also coincide with the bumpers, and I think those are all good reasons to prefer the earlier cars - if that's your thing. On the benefits side though though you get the most modern interior the MGB was given with comfy seats, a real glove box, center console. The ride quality is better, it's got electric fan(s) instead of belt driven, the failure prone electric fuel pump is moved to an easier location to access and I am sure there's more I am forgetting.

I am biased for sure, but I've always liked the rubber bumper cars, mostly because they just feel a little more modern. I also grew up riding in MGAs, which are very similar mechanically, but feel like ancient carriages compared to a later MGB. So I see the late MGBs as the final evolution, and the different phases of change the B went through over it's 18 years just steps in that evolution.

That said, if I was spec'ing out my ideal MGB I'd chose between either (a) a 1980 MGB LE (like the one in BP's photo), it's just a standard rubber bumper B, but had special black paint and stripe kit, along with a couple other nice accessories (steering wheel, dash plaque, etc) to commemorate the end of the MGB. Or (b) a 1972/73...The very end of the chrome bumper cars, and therefore the most modern of the chrome; decently comfortable interior, good seats with headrests, older dual SU carb setup, etc. Some of you will remember the orange 72 I had a few years ago....In Blaze Red with factory Wire Wheels, that was pretty well peak MGB for my personal tastes. Earlier cars (60's) command the most $, but at that point I'd rather have an MGA - similar experience, but with the gorgeous vintage curves of the A.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 10:31:57 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Firm Jr's impression has made a total 180, when he first saw it, it was spewing black smoke and making loud pops, and Mrs.Firm was in the driveway registering her displeasure with the thing. So the poor kid said "It's garbage, get a new one"  ::) I told him that we'd fix it...and he spent the better part of the day working on it with me, and the next morning when it was running properly couldn't wait to go for a ride. Now he's been telling everyone that'll listen that we 'fixed the MGB', most of these people (neighbors, strangers at the park, etc) have no clue what he's on about....

He's wise beyond his years and 100% adorable.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 10:53:21 pm »
Such a neat car and great story along with it. It’s neat how some kids connect with cars. He’ll enjoy growing up around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »
What a wonderful story!  Body and interior look great!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 08:14:42 pm »
Great story Firm!  Jr looks to be a natural.  No surprise there!   :thumbup:

That orange one is drop dead gorgeous.   :love:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 10:37:55 am »
Well, finished off a bunch of little jobs on the MGB over the weekend; paint correction, mixed up some touchup paint (homebrew match) and touched up a bunch of chips, installed a new set of horns (oddly the wiring was good, the horns themselves were bad...weird), refilled one of the factory lever shocks that had leaked out, and replaced the old ugly non-retractable antenna with a nice retracting one (for ease of car-cover fit).

Also took it to a local cruise-in show, which meant taking it on the highway for the first time, and driving back in the dark. Did great on both counts, though 115km/h has it sitting over 3500RPM, so not exactly a highway cruiser, lol.

Unfortunately I don't have enough parking at my place to keep it here, so moved it to my buddy's barn about 15 minutes away...close enough to access it when I want to drive, but the likelihood of making the effort to do so is pretty limited. I will give it at least one more good run before winter storage though.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 06:51:06 pm »
Also took it to a local cruise-in show, which meant taking it on the highway for the first time, and driving back in the dark. Did great on both counts, though 115km/h has it sitting over 3500RPM, so not exactly a highway cruiser, lol.

Time for a 6-spd conversion! 

The car looks amazing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 08:46:25 pm »

Time for a 6-spd conversion! 

The car looks amazing.

There was a factory electronic overdrive available, my Chartreuse colored '77 had it. It is a big upgrade for highway motoring, but I think a good overdrive trans is $1500-2000 these days. Plus the effort to install it....Not something I see myself doing with this car, at least not in the foreseeable future, if I ever become one of those retired MG guys who tours around to different shows all the time it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, this is just for bombing around locally and enjoying the backroads.