Author Topic: 2023 Toyota Crown Returns to Canada as a High-Performance Hybrid Sedan  (Read 4169 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Is it just like how the Harrier used to be the basis for the Lexus RX in North America and now it's just a Toyota Venza, the Toyota Crown which used to be the basis for the Lexus LS is just a Toyota here now?
The Crown was the basis for the Lexus GS.

The Crown looks very LS like to me.

I believe it was the Aristo that was the basis for GS.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Saw this all over social media, and my first thoughts were 1) no one asked for this, 2) its fugly.

If you're gonna introduce a sedan, make it a proper one, not a Legacy Outback CUV wannabe like Fob said.
Sadly, I think people are asking for this. Everyone wants CUVs/SUVs...so a vehicle that's similar but not as cookie cutter might be worthwhile for many.

Kinda like a CH-R but way nicer then. Don't really get the point of that model either except for style (questionable :P ) and ride height.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
*checks the date.

Nope, not April 1st.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Is it just like how the Harrier used to be the basis for the Lexus RX in North America and now it's just a Toyota Venza, the Toyota Crown which used to be the basis for the Lexus LS is just a Toyota here now?
The Crown was the basis for the Lexus GS.

The Crown looks very LS like to me.

I believe it was the Aristo that was the basis for GS.

The GS shared the frame, suspension, engine, etc from the Crown. The Aristo was the JDM version of the GS...which used the Crown platform.

The LS (Celsior) platform was unique to those cars for the longest time.

Kinda surprised they mentioned it in this article.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota-crown-returns-to-us-for-first-time-in-50-years-as-an-suv-report

"The closest we've gotten in this millennium was the Lexus GS, which shared a platform with the JDM Crown until the early 2010"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:28:59 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Does seem like an odd vehicle in many respects.  $75K for the top model?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Saw this all over social media, and my first thoughts were 1) no one asked for this, 2) its fugly.

If you're gonna introduce a sedan, make it a proper one, not a Legacy Outback CUV wannabe like Fob said.
Sadly, I think people are asking for this. Everyone wants CUVs/SUVs...so a vehicle that's similar but not as cookie cutter might be worthwhile for many.
Who the heck are these people lol

Toyota got this one sooooo wrong….won’t last 3y imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Everyone...literally.

"Normal" sedans are dying.

CUV/SUV things dominate the market. I don't like this car..but people like higher riding vehicles.

Like the Corolla Cross...this is maybe like the CUVed version of a Camry.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 04:32:49 am by rrocket »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: 2023 Toyota Crown Returns to Canada as a High-Performance Hybrid Sedan
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 09:10:34 am »
Throttle House on the Crown....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bijAb-IvU&ab_channel=ThrottleHouse

Too bad we don't get the wagon version.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12435
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 11:41:10 am »

Agreed - the wagon looks pretty slick.

Price tops out in the lol zone, but that's a common occurrence these days.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 02:14:22 pm »

Their bit about all the Crowns was hilarious. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 02:20:28 pm »

YOU are those people.  Once upon a time, you owned a Taurus SHO (or maybe it was your parents, who the eff knows), which was a raised version of a mid/full-size sedan, basically a derivative of the Ford 500.

The Crown is playing in the same sandbox. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2022, 02:58:06 pm »
Hard to tell how it will do. The ZDX was a failure, the original Venza sold well in Canada but poorly in the US, while the Outback and Crosstrek do extremely well, decimating their non raised predecessors

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2022, 04:28:00 pm »
I want to see the plug in version.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2022, 05:57:37 pm »

YOU are those people.  Once upon a time, you owned a Taurus SHO (or maybe it was your parents, who the eff knows), which was a raised version of a mid/full-size sedan, basically a derivative of the Ford 500.

I have moved on lol…this was yearssss ago. SUV ne truck revolution have happened…!

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2022, 06:13:37 pm »
Hard to tell how it will do. The ZDX was a failure, the original Venza sold well in Canada but poorly in the US, while the Outback and Crosstrek do extremely well, decimating their non raised predecessors

The ZDX and Venza were ahead of their time.  Would sell like hot cakes now.  FWIW, Acura is bringing the ZDX back as an EV.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2022, 07:32:51 pm »

Taurus SHO was a sports sedan, and suspension wise might even have been a bit lower than the base, but certainly not jacked.  It was actually a cool car when it first came out with an Yamaha designed engine. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142141/1989-ford-taurus-sho-road-test-review/

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2022, 07:44:12 pm »

Taurus SHO was a sports sedan, and suspension wise might even have been a bit lower than the base, but certainly not jacked.  It was actually a cool car when it first came out with an Yamaha designed engine. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142141/1989-ford-taurus-sho-road-test-review/

My dad had one.  You t certainly wasn’t jacked.  The suspension was lower than the standard Taurus.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2022, 07:53:55 pm »
^^ You guys are talking about the first gen. Super-cool car (and with a stick!). My uncle had one and loved it.

I expect GBA is talking about the last one from the 2010s:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16581009/2010-ford-taurus-sho-road-test/

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2022, 08:24:48 pm »
^^ You guys are talking about the first gen. Super-cool car (and with a stick!). My uncle had one and loved it.

I expect GBA is talking about the last one from the 2010s:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16581009/2010-ford-taurus-sho-road-test/

Taurus in general got a lot more bloated in the latter years but the SHO was still not a jacked version.  From that article:

On the outside, the SHO looks almost exactly like its lesser brethren. Subtle SHO badges appear on the trunklid and C-pillars, and the LEDs in the front bumper have a silver bezel instead of a black one. “Why couldn’t they black out that chrome and maybe add some cladding with SHO on it?” we’re asked.

Riding on base 19-inch wheels, the SHO is nearly indistinguishable from the SEL trim level. We like stealthy performance cars, but we have to agree with the Taurus clubbers who would like the SHO to have something special to set it apart from the herd. And cladding is never the solution.

The Taurus X was the jacked version..

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/taurus-x/specs

I actually kinda liked it when it fist came out.  :-[ 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 08:27:56 pm by KD »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2022, 09:47:07 pm »

The ZDX and Venza were ahead of their time.  Would sell like hot cakes now.  FWIW, Acura is bringing the ZDX back as an EV.

Not so sure about the ZDX, but in our neighborhood it seemed every third driveway had a Venza on it at one time. Brother in law has one and just loves it, this type of thing might make a good replacement