Author Topic: 2023 Toyota Crown Returns to Canada as a High-Performance Hybrid Sedan  (Read 4172 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Toyota Crown makes return after 50 years
Read more...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
WTF is this?  Looks like a jacked up sedan thingy.  Big nope from this guy.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Will probably be a great transportation appliance.  Using the Crown name probably created expectations, though.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Well that seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Reminds me of the old Venza. Shame it's not a hatch, never really got the point of a trunk

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Well that seemed to have come out of nowhere.

Reminds me of the old Venza. Shame it's not a hatch, never really got the point of a trunk

Me neither, but then again the Accord Crosstour was a flop. 

In the end this seems like some sort of catch-all vehicle that fills a bunch of small niches all at once. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Why couldn't they just make a hybrid Crown, as in something that looks good and is ultra luxurious.  That would be cool and I'd dig it.  But this, no, this should not get the Crown name.  Hell I don't even think it deserves the Avalon name.  Christ what is wrong with this auto industry sometimes.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Me neither, but then again the Accord Crosstour was a flop

Crosstour was, but Venzas were pretty popular (in Canada at least). Still all over Edmonton here.

SUV ground clearance and AWD but a lower center of gravity

No hatch might be a sop to the American market

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
The second is Toyota's new Hybrid Max powertrain. It uses a 2.4L turbocharged four-cylinder along with a powerful front electric motor and a water-cooled motor on the rear axle. It makes a total of 340 hp and Toyota estimates it to return a fuel economy of 8.4 L/100 km. This one is exclusive to the Platinum trim and will use a six-speed automatic instead of the continuously variable transmission (CVT) that Toyota's hybrids normally use.

So despite all added complexities and weak points of the strained 4-pot we've come to the fuel economy of outgoing V6 RX450h, but now with less rear head room and cargo space.  :-\
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Feck me is that thing ugly. What a way to disparage the Crown name Toyota. It was your S class, WTF is this mutant Legacy Outback sedan supposed to be!?!?
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Feck me is that thing ugly. What a way to disparage the Crown name Toyota. It was your S class Maybach, WTF is this mutant Legacy Outback sedan supposed to be!?!?
Fixed that for you.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Feck me is that thing ugly. What a way to disparage the Crown name Toyota. It was your S class, WTF is this mutant Legacy Outback sedan supposed to be!?!?
The only people who know what a Crown is in North America are car nuts. And even many of those don't know what a Crown is.

99 percent of buyers have no clue about the storied name.

And I'd say Toyota's S Class was the Century rather than the Crown.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 04:17:33 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Is it just like how the Harrier used to be the basis for the Lexus RX in North America and now it's just a Toyota Venza, the Toyota Crown which used to be the basis for the Lexus LS is just a Toyota here now?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Is it just like how the Harrier used to be the basis for the Lexus RX in North America and now it's just a Toyota Venza, the Toyota Crown which used to be the basis for the Lexus LS is just a Toyota here now?
The Crown was the basis for the Lexus GS.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The second is Toyota's new Hybrid Max powertrain. It uses a 2.4L turbocharged four-cylinder along with a powerful front electric motor and a water-cooled motor on the rear axle. It makes a total of 340 hp and Toyota estimates it to return a fuel economy of 8.4 L/100 km. This one is exclusive to the Platinum trim and will use a six-speed automatic instead of the continuously variable transmission (CVT) that Toyota's hybrids normally use.

So despite all added complexities and weak points of the strained 4-pot we've come to the fuel economy of outgoing V6 RX450h, but now with less rear head room and cargo space.  :-\
They're offering 2 different hybrids. The "normal" one and the performance version above

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

They're offering 2 different hybrids. The "normal" one and the performance version above

Yes, I'm aware. Do you think the performance one will have a TQ converter 6 spd auto or something else entirely? 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Yes, I'm aware. Do you think the performance one will have a TQ converter 6 spd auto or something else entirely?
It will be a DSG-type multi plate wet clutch 6 speed auto, no torque converter.  There's also a small e-motor in the tranny to prevent power dips during shifting (so it feels seamless).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 06:19:52 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

It will be a DSG-type multi plate wet clutch 6 speed auto, no torque converter.  There's also a small e-motor in the tranny to prevent power dips during shifting (so it feels seamless).

Thanks. That should be a lot of fun. DCTs have lower losses than conventional autos so with a help of e-motors I wouldn't be surprised that the stated 8.4L/100 number is conservative. Would still prefer a NA V6 there. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Saw this all over social media, and my first thoughts were 1) no one asked for this, 2) its fugly.

If you're gonna introduce a sedan, make it a proper one, not a Legacy Outback CUV wannabe like Fob said.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
Looks like it's part of a series

The 16th generation Crown, set to begin production in January, comes in four varieties -- a crossover with a hybrid system; a sedan that is most similar to the Crowns seen on Japanese streets; a sport-utility vehicle and a wagon crossover called the "estate," the company said.

The Crown will go on sale in 40 nations, with Toyota Motor Corp. aiming for 200,000 vehicles in annual global sales. The cheapest version starts at 4.35 million yen (US$31,000) in Japan.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/toyota-s-japan-flagship-crown-car-to-debut-on-global-markets-1.5988751

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Saw this all over social media, and my first thoughts were 1) no one asked for this, 2) its fugly.

If you're gonna introduce a sedan, make it a proper one, not a Legacy Outback CUV wannabe like Fob said.
Sadly, I think people are asking for this. Everyone wants CUVs/SUVs...so a vehicle that's similar but not as cookie cutter might be worthwhile for many.