Author Topic: Hitting a goalpost - Hire's Ferrari 360 Modena  (Read 12415 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Hitting a goalpost - Hire's Ferrari 360 Modena
« on: June 21, 2022, 10:22:17 pm »
Hit a milestone that I wanted to get to before my 35th bday... just about a year early.

Felt great to bring this home, show my parents and hug them for all the sacrifices they made over the years. :)

Okay so here are some details. This is a 2001 Ferrari 360 Modena that I happened to find EXTREMELY under market. It's well priced, and also one of probably ~25 cars made with a factory removable sunroof. Very rare option. It has a Bordeaux (dark red) interior, and about 29,000 miles. It's an original Ferrari of Ontario car and has only had one owner prior to me finding it. I didn't want a red or yellow car - those were deal breakers. Ideally I'd have had the darker silver (Grigio Silverstone), but the lighter colour (Argento Nurburgring) is growing on me - especially with the unique interior and sunroof! It also has a TUBI exhaust and Fabspeed headers.

It needs a couple things, namely a major belt service, which thankfully on a 360 is NOT engine out, not that that would have deterred me. I have a tech at the shop that's well-versed in Ferrari and we have all the diagnostics/tooling to work on it, so we're good. I already took care of the common "sticky buttons" this week, and it's getting new tires (hoping to get PS4S but that's looking like an impossibility). Also got a Challenge rear grille (mesh) which is not only a cosmetic improvement, helps let the heat out so it doesn't melt the taillights.

BUT BEST OF ALL - it's an F1 car (horrifyingly bad single-clutch automated manual). I actually have acquired all of the necessary bits to convert it to a gated six-speed manual. More to come on this, but the car is mostly already in pieces and we have a tentative goal of July 10th to make its debut as a converted manual. Far as I know, we'll be the first and only facility in Canada to have done this, and will be offering it as a service to our other Ferrari clients.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:08:01 pm by TheHire »
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: Another goalpost...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 10:24:46 pm »
Oh wow! That is a dream for sure!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:27:01 pm »
Nice!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:32 pm »
WOW, nice!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 10:36:03 pm »
Pure awesome :thumbup:  Looking forward to more thoughts about how much you love this car and how you would rank it for favourite of all the cars you have owned.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:37:17 pm »
Thanks all!

Just updated the original post with what the actual plans are. I spent a couple of days driving it around and F1 sucks all the soul out of the car. The engine is BRILLIANT, sounds amazing, and feels spectacular. The driving position, handling, everything is just sublime. Other than the gearbox, this is every bit the car that teenaged TheHire dreamt of owning someday. Soon that'll be corrected, and it'll be an awesome addition to the fleet of jalopies.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Another goalpost... Hire's Ferrari 360 Modena
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:49:45 pm »
Very cool. Love that you’re swapping in the manual. Also love that it’s not red silver!

This was a dream car for me as well, but I was in my 30s then.  :-\

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: Hitting a goalpost - Hire's Ferrari 360 Modena
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 06:54:41 am »
Nice! Make sure to document and post pictures of the car's progress...love the silver as well.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1215
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 07:05:26 am »
Wow, a dream car for sure. Congrats!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 07:20:32 am »
Congrats! The 360 is a dream car of mine. I've always loved them.

BUT BEST OF ALL - it's an F1 car

Was very confused for a second when I got to this part.  ;D

With manual 360 values well above the F1 cars, offering the swap as a service makes a lot of sense.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 07:27:39 am »
Wow, congrats on earning a Ferrari. 

How much does owning a specialty shop play into your decisions to buy cars such as this?  I'm betting it's a huge factor.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 07:40:08 am »
Extremely cool!  You live the life all us car enthusiasts wish we could.  Even though I'm not exactly a Ferrari guy (I prefer Porsche) I totally understand the appeal of your childhood dream car.

So if you were to charge a client to do this manual swap, what would the price tag of something like that be and do you think the increase in value would be enough to justify it.  Obviously the manual is much better.

So is this manual swap to what would have been fitted originally if the manual was optioned, or is it an aftermarket transmission that fits in this application?

I'm just going to assume that the Aston will be your all time favorite, but maybe after you swap the manual in you'll feel differently.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 07:42:13 am »
That’s awesome, congratulations!  LOVE that interior with the silver

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 07:50:30 am »
That’s awesome, congratulations!  LOVE that interior with the silver

My rule for silver cars is they need a red or blue interior.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 08:09:24 am »
Extremely cool!  You live the life all us car enthusiasts wish we could.  Even though I'm not exactly a Ferrari guy (I prefer Porsche) I totally understand the appeal of your childhood dream car.

So if you were to charge a client to do this manual swap, what would the price tag of something like that be and do you think the increase in value would be enough to justify it.  Obviously the manual is much better.

So is this manual swap to what would have been fitted originally if the manual was optioned, or is it an aftermarket transmission that fits in this application?

I'm just going to assume that the Aston will be your all time favorite, but maybe after you swap the manual in you'll feel differently.

Well, he's go both.  Why choose when you can have a vintage 911, and a Ferrari?

I'm thinking his shop will do the swap on his car first, figure out how much work it takes, then figure out a rate after.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:15:30 am »

I'm thinking his shop will do the swap on his car first, figure out how much work it takes, then figure out a rate after.
That would make sense, although he already seems to have the parts to do the swap and a good idea on what is involved.  He just needs to do it and see how long it takes and how many issues that they run into.  I'd imagine it'd have to be at least a $20K job though, but maybe I'm way off.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 08:23:07 am »
Wow, congrats on earning a Ferrari. 

How much does owning a specialty shop play into your decisions to buy cars such as this?  I'm betting it's a huge factor.

Massive... absolutely huge. Labour being free (as long as I'm not keeping paying customers waiting) and parts at cost subsidizes ownership big time.

It's an OEM setup, but keep in mind the 360 F1 and manual use the same actual transmission, just with lots of electronic bits and actuators and different computer tuning to make the F1 cars an "automated" manual. It's an easier swap than you think.

That said, a converted manual 360 will always be worth less than a factory gated car, but still more than an F1 car. Right now as I analyze the market, the differential between a sorted F1 car and a stick is anywhere from $60k to $90k. It isn't necessarily a swap people do to increase the value, but moreso to squeeze more enjoyment out of a car they're planning to keep for a long time.

That would make sense, although he already seems to have the parts to do the swap and a good idea on what is involved.  He just needs to do it and see how long it takes and how many issues that they run into.  I'd imagine it'd have to be at least a $20K job though, but maybe I'm way off.

That's sort of what we're planning to do - get this one done and figure out exactly how long it takes, though it appears to be somewhat straightforward. The parts alone at retail are just over that (obviously my cost is considerably less), and let's say another $5-7k in labour. You're looking at $25-30k.

For comparison, European Auto Group in Texas is the only company that sells these on the regular, and they charge $35k USD for the job using aftermarket parts.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 08:24:44 am »
The thing with jobs like that is they tend to take way longer the first time a shop does one. The more a tech does a job the better they get at figuring out how to do it the most efficient way possible.

Great find BTW!  Hire has the perfect combination....owning exotic/collectible cars and a shop that can work on them  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 08:25:55 am »
Dude, I hate you even more  ;)

The Mentor's Modena Spyder is in the same shade, but IIRC its interior is blue. Also an F1 car due to a bad knee. There's a F1-to-stick Modena on BaT at the moment, seems to be trending! Neighbour's Stradale has the robot box of course - he seems fine with it.

My two experiences with single-clutch automated were both different and bad. Locally with a smart presser that rode like a childhood rocking horse, and in Europe with a Citroën that tried to kill us. The SCT only made sense on the open road, but in stop and wait-eventually-I'll-go urban driving, it was horendous. I learned to pre-load the box a few seconds before green lights, otherwise I was getting honked all the time in France. The Swiss were more patient!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 09:51:14 am »
The thing with jobs like that is they tend to take way longer the first time a shop does one. The more a tech does a job the better they get at figuring out how to do it the most efficient way possible.

Great find BTW!  Hire has the perfect combination....owning exotic/collectible cars and a shop that can work on them  ;D

And something goes horribly 'bang' in the process, well, no giant deal

Very clever. And if this works out well there must be a lot of F1 transmissions out there that people are tired of by now. Even that tiny gear selector thing sort of weirds me out