Author Topic: Johnny's Famous Canadian Made Pumpkin Si  (Read 20922 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnny's Famous Canadian Made Pumpkin Si
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2022, 07:13:21 am »
Congratulations! This generation looks much nicer than the previous one.
I think the exterior is more conservative and grown up, but the interior to me is a huge upgrade over the previous model.  Thanks for the kind words.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2022, 07:14:00 am »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2022, 07:14:25 am »
Last pic.

Brilliant colour and congrats.
Thanks bud.  I am enjoying the different color.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2022, 08:09:19 am »
Great looking ride Johnny. Looking forward to hearing about your ownership experience as time goes on.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2022, 08:40:14 am »
Great looking ride Johnny. Looking forward to hearing about your ownership experience as time goes on.
Yeah I'll try to keep doing some updates from time to time.  With the 7 year extended warranty I'm planning on keeping it at least that long.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2022, 10:41:28 am »
I can't think of a better compact performance vehicle that offers this much feel, personality, practicality, and fuel mileage.  I'm really enjoying it so far, but I don't want to gush over what is essentially just a mildly fast Civic.

I'm not sure I'd call it "just a mildly fast Civic".  When the Si was released people jumped all over it for not having any more power compared to its competitors.  I felt the same way until I read an article that mentioned all the changes they made to the suspension, and what a difference it made in the handling.  My impression that this is a "better than the sum of its parts" kinda car where the subtle changes they made had a big impact on the personality of a car.  This isn't just a base Civic with a power bump.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2022, 11:00:17 am »
I can't think of a better compact performance vehicle that offers this much feel, personality, practicality, and fuel mileage.  I'm really enjoying it so far, but I don't want to gush over what is essentially just a mildly fast Civic.

I'm not sure I'd call it "just a mildly fast Civic".  When the Si was released people jumped all over it for not having any more power compared to its competitors.  I felt the same way until I read an article that mentioned all the changes they made to the suspension, and what a difference it made in the handling.  My impression that this is a "better than the sum of its parts" kinda car where the subtle changes they made had a big impact on the personality of a car.  This isn't just a base Civic with a power bump.
True, but I also don't want to act like it's a competitor to a Porsche 911 either.  Definitely a lot happened under the skin to differentiate it from the regular Civic sedan.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2022, 12:00:15 pm »
Congrats. I love the colour and transmission. Seems like a really nice buy.  8)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2022, 12:18:06 pm »
Congrats. I love the colour and transmission. Seems like a really nice buy.  8)
Thanks bud. 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2022, 01:24:57 pm »
Congrats!! Nice write-up as well  :cheers:
Thanks, took a minute to write that novel out.  Glad no one has given me crap for the poor picture quality.

Still better than Ron!  :rofl2:
That's what I was aiming for.   :rofl2:

That's like my particularly slow-driving buddy at Autocross... he typically aims for "Not last"!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2022, 03:37:58 pm »

, but I don't want to gush over what is essentially just a mildly fast Civic.

Why not?

If it's done right...it's done right!

That's the point..

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2022, 03:38:58 pm »
Congrats!! Nice write-up as well  :cheers:
Thanks, took a minute to write that novel out.  Glad no one has given me crap for the poor picture quality.

Still better than Ron!  :rofl2:
That's what I was aiming for.   :rofl2:

That's like my particularly slow-driving buddy at Autocross... he typically aims for "Not last"!
I hate all of you...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2022, 02:25:04 pm »

Why not?

That's the point..
It's true.  I actually woke up early the last few morning looking forward to my morning commute, which is like under 10kms.  I mean that should speak volumes on how much I enjoy this so far.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2022, 03:15:29 pm »

Why not?

That's the point..
It's true.  I actually woke up early the last few morning looking forward to my morning commute, which is like under 10kms.  I mean that should speak volumes on how much I enjoy this so far.
Definitely a good thing!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2022, 08:36:50 am »
A couple of more things that I'm not the biggest fan of and a lot of vehicles have these issues, so this isn't just a Honda thing.  If your vehicle offers driving setting (modes), engine stop/start, auto rev matching, and active safety features, you should be able to set these and have them remain when you operate the vehicle next time.  My Civic always starts off in "regular" mode, and that means engine/stop start is always activated when I start the vehicle.  It seems to go back to the original factory settings for everything BUT the seat heaters, which for whatever reason will stay in the same setting no matter how long it has been since the last time you drove.  In my VW's the safety systems would resort back to factory settings but you'd maintain whatever driving settings you last drove in, heated/ventilated seats would keep their setting only if you hope back in your vehicle within a set time frame.

Why is it hard for manufacturers just to allow the drivers to set these systems the way they want and to modify them if needed after the fact.  Like I said, not just a Honda thing but every manufacturer.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2022, 08:59:34 am »
I wonder what brands other than VW get it right.

I know in my dad's Audi he always has to turn off the stop/start, but I'm pretty sure that driver nannies keep their settings. The stop/start drives him nuts.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2022, 09:41:07 am »
Was testing out the work Equinox with stop/start yesterday, and find it irritating. Top on my list of features not to get.

Fix for the Civic: https://www.idlestopper.com/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2022, 10:11:13 am »
Was testing out the work Equinox with stop/start yesterday, and find it irritating. Top on my list of features not to get.

Fix for the Civic: https://www.idlestopper.com/
Yeah it's not hard to turn off, has a button, plus if you switch to sport mode it is disabled, or if you are at a set of lights with the clutch engaged it won't turn off.  It really only turns off if the cabin is at the desirable temperature, in regular mode and turned on, plus in neutral.  So it's not often that it happens.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2022, 10:14:23 am »

I know in my dad's Audi he always has to turn off the stop/start, but I'm pretty sure that driver nannies keep their settings. The stop/start drives him nuts.
VW doesn't get it totally right either.  During the winter months I typically have the seat heater on all the time, but every time I get in I have to turn them on, where as the Civic will remember.  Plus the safety systems always revert back to factory settings.

I am not sure if any manufacturer gets it 100% right, VW is closer than the Honda at this point.  But it's a minor annoyance.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2022, 11:24:35 am »

VW doesn't get it totally right either.  During the winter months I typically have the seat heater on all the time, but every time I get in I have to turn them on, where as the Civic will remember.  Plus the safety systems always revert back to factory settings.

I am not sure if any manufacturer gets it 100% right, VW is closer than the Honda at this point.  But it's a minor annoyance.

Easy to fix the programming on VW with an obdeleven or vcds device though.

Re auto stop start always being enabled that may be for fuel ratings?