Author Topic: Johnny's Famous Canadian Made Pumpkin Si  (Read 20888 times)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnny's Famous Canadian Made Pumpkin Si
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2022, 11:26:05 am »
I wonder what brands other than VW get it right.

I know in my dad's Audi he always has to turn off the stop/start, but I'm pretty sure that driver nannies keep their settings. The stop/start drives him nuts.
VW doesn't get it totally right either.  During the winter months I typically have the seat heater on all the time, but every time I get in I have to turn them on, where as the Civic will remember.  Plus the safety systems always revert back to factory settings.

I am not sure if any manufacturer gets it 100% right, VW is closer than the Honda at this point.  But it's a minor annoyance.

Easy to fix the programming on VW with an obdeleven or vcds device though.

Re auto stop start always being enabled that may be for fuel ratings?
It's definitely for fuel ratings.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2022, 11:37:55 am »
Same reason our Equinox starts off in FWD, AWD has to be enabled with a button after

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2022, 11:50:15 am »

Looks like they've shifted a lot of heavy metal to the back of the engine bay  :thumbup:

Congrats and happy motoring!  :skid:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2022, 12:15:10 pm »

Looks like they've shifted a lot of heavy metal to the back of the engine bay  :thumbup:

Congrats and happy motoring!  :skid:
Yeah I don't know, I mean I'm sure the engine itself is likely fairly light considering it's only 1.5L.  I hate the look of engine bays nowadays, just a mess of wires, sensors, and tubes. 

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2022, 11:47:04 am »
I think this might be the best review so far.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5xmxmjPrE  These guys exactly voice my experience.  Coming from a MK7 Golf R and GLI, and then getting into a Civic Si.  Of course I watched and read every review, but because there was such a limited supply (even for the regular Civic) I wasn't able to drive the Civic Si before driving the 9+ hours to pick mine up.  As stated in the review, the new GTI is fantastic and would likely destroy a Civic Si in any kind of race, but it just doesn't have the personality and fun factor that the Civic Si has currently.  I find myself smiling more, enjoying the drive to work.  I look forward to driving it, and I didn't feel that way at all with my GLI.

These guys basically said no Civic Si fanboy would ever consider a GTI, and vice versa, but that's pretty much what I did.  7 years of performance VW's and I just craved something different.  Something that gives me the warm and fuzzies, and this Civic, even with it's meager power, does that.  I love putting it into sport mode (which cranks up the piped in engine noise), drop it a few gears and watch the shift lights appear and then it beeps, begging me to upshift.  It's really small theatre, but it's cheap thrills in my book. 

Anyway, I'll stop gushing.  I will however state that over the past ~600kms of normal every day driving (with one highway trip totaling 200kms) I'm currently averaging 5.9L/100kms.  Going back and forth to work I average 6.6L/100kms if there is a lot of traffic and I hit every red light, if I have clear sailing and less stops, it's closer to 6.3L/100kms.  I'm calling this my little "performance Prius".

It's not perfect, there is a small buzz sound that comes from that little height adjustment plastic bit for the seat belt right by my ear, but then I just touch it and it goes away for a little while.  I might eventually have the dealer see if they can solve this, but right now I'm just enjoying it.  The stereo is better than the Fender and Beats branded units I had in the Golf R and GLI, but you can tell it's geared more towards youthful (heavy bass) music than anything high end like you would find in a more upscale luxury vehicle (like a B&O in a Lexus for example).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2022, 12:09:14 pm »
Saw one on the road a couple days ago - spotlessly clean and shining in the sun.  That colour IS THE FREAKING SUN.  :o  Love it.  :drv2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2022, 01:02:48 pm »
I wasn't able to drive the Civic Si before driving the 9+ hours to pick mine up.

Proud of you. Thought I was the only one who did this kind of stuff.  :)

These guys basically said no Civic Si fanboy would ever consider a GTI, and vice versa, but that's pretty much what I did.  7 years of performance VW's and I just craved something different.  Something that gives me the warm and fuzzies, and this Civic, even with it's meager power, does that.  I love putting it into sport mode (which cranks up the piped in engine noise), drop it a few gears and watch the shift lights appear and then it beeps, begging me to upshift.  It's really small theatre, but it's cheap thrills in my book.

I hate when reviewers say stuff like this. People cross shop weird things sometimes, or move between very different cars.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2022, 01:10:36 pm »
I wasn't able to drive the Civic Si before driving the 9+ hours to pick mine up.

Proud of you. Thought I was the only one who did this kind of stuff.  :)

I hate when reviewers say stuff like this. People cross shop weird things sometimes, or move between very different cars.
There are definitely some car enthusiasts that stick to one brand or one specific vehicle (like every GTI generation, or only buys Fords), but for the most part true enthusiasts can look past the nameplate or the history, and give different vehicles a chance.  That's what I did.  I fully expected it to be just a bit harsher riding GLI, with less comfort, less performance, and just enjoy a more reliable long term daily driver vehicle.  What ended up happening is a breath of fresh air, sure it's a great daily driver, but it just speaks to me more than the GLI and if I'm honest a bit more than the Golf R as well.  All of these vehicles are great and I was lucky to drive and own them all.  Now the issue I have is, if I love this Si so much, how much more would I love a Type R.  LOL

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2022, 01:10:43 pm »
Late to the party but congrats on the new "pumpkin". Love the color and the seats. Awesome car overall. I'm sure will keep you smiling for a long time.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2022, 01:12:13 pm »
Late to the party but congrats on the new "pumpkin". Love the color and the seats. Awesome car overall. I'm sure will keep you smiling for a long time.
That's the plan, plus because the manual is so good, I can even open up vehicles that are auto only for the next purchase.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2022, 01:18:05 pm »
That's the plan, plus because the manual is so good, I can even open up vehicles that are auto only for the next purchase.

I thought the natural succession should be a Type R for an extra dose of awesomeness... or a GR Corolla perhaps.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2022, 01:24:22 pm »

I thought the natural succession should be a Type R for an extra dose of awesomeness... or a GR Corolla perhaps.

I haven't driven a Type R, but as a daily driver the Si would strike a nice balance between fun and comfort on our terrible roads.  A Type R might get tiresome.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2022, 01:48:41 pm »

I haven't driven a Type R, but as a daily driver the Si would strike a nice balance between fun and comfort on our terrible roads.  A Type R might get tiresome.
Most definitely, but if Honda gives it an adjustable suspension and different drive modes, it could be relatively civilized in daily commuting.  But it won't be the fuel miser that this Civic Si has been for me.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2022, 08:45:36 am »
Nice, congrats.  Impressed with the l's/100.  If only I needed a new car.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2022, 10:00:15 pm »
Car and Driver just added an orange Si to their long term fleet: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39966270/2022-honda-civic-si-reliability-maintenance/

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2022, 07:11:32 am »
Car and Driver just added an orange Si to their long term fleet: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39966270/2022-honda-civic-si-reliability-maintenance/
I saw that and I will be following that for the year.  Just wish they had the Canadian version instead of the American one.  I tend to think the added features we get might make it a bit more favorable in the comments.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2022, 08:57:01 am »
Car and Driver doesn't really seem to care that much about amenities in a sporty car though.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2022, 09:18:53 am »
Car and Driver doesn't really seem to care that much about amenities in a sporty car though.
Isn't that the mag that has an office in California and one in Michigan?  If so, the Michigan folks will note the missing bits during the colder months.  But I agree the magazine usually favors performance over amenities. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2022, 09:28:56 am »
Isn't that the mag that has an office in California and one in Michigan?  If so, the Michigan folks will note the missing bits during the colder months.  But I agree the magazine usually favors performance over amenities.

Their HQ is in Ann Arbor but they do have people on the west coast as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...