Author Topic: Dunlop Summer Performance Tire Opinion  (Read 8275 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Dunlop Summer Performance Tire Opinion
« on: April 27, 2022, 05:19:28 pm »
The dealer I am buying my Civic Si from was supposed to be putting on my preferred summer performance tires, which are General Tire G-Max RS, but I think they waited till last minute and now can’t find them.  This obviously could have been avoided if they had ordered them two weeks ago when the car arrived and we agreed on a deal.  So he called me all in a panic at 3:50pm asking if I would be okay with what their shop suggested instead, that would be the Dunlop Sportmax RT 2, and he needed to know by 4pm. 

Now these are a free upgrade, from the standard performance all seasons that come on the Si, but still I wasn’t overly impressed that they likely waited until today to find my preferred tires.  In the end I had a quick look and found that they are similar high performance summer tires and gave them the go ahead and order them.  Now I’m questioning if I should have asked for something else.  I’m not that familiar with the second tier performance tires and really only know that the Generals and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s are good.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this brand.  I doubt anyone here has owned these specific ones before.  All the reviews seem to be from Europe.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlop Summer Performance Tire Opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 05:38:21 pm »
The dealer I am buying my Civic Si from was supposed to be putting on my preferred summer performance tires, which are General Tire G-Max RS, but I think they waited till last minute and now can’t find them.  This obviously could have been avoided if they had ordered them two weeks ago when the car arrived and we agreed on a deal.  So he called me all in a panic at 3:50pm asking if I would be okay with what their shop suggested instead, that would be the Dunlop Sportmax RT 2, and he needed to know by 4pm. 

Now these are a free upgrade, from the standard performance all seasons that come on the Si, but still I wasn’t overly impressed that they likely waited until today to find my preferred tires.  In the end I had a quick look and found that they are similar high performance summer tires and gave them the go ahead and order them.  Now I’m questioning if I should have asked for something else.  I’m not that familiar with the second tier performance tires and really only know that the Generals and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s are good.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this brand.  I doubt anyone here has owned these specific ones before.  All the reviews seem to be from Europe.

I think you're splitting hairs here for what is a street tire....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 06:44:06 pm »
I agree with Ron but here is more reading if you want to drive yourself crazy over this. Also, I don't think Dunlop is a 2nd tier brand if that is what you were saying of course.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Dunlop/SportMaxx-RT-2.htm

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 06:52:29 pm »
I agree with Ron but here is more reading if you want to drive yourself crazy over this. Also, I don't think Dunlop is a 2nd tier brand if that is what you were saying of course.

I would call them second tier similar to Firestone, General Tire and Cooper Tires.  The parent company is Goodyear, so this is their budget brand.

I’m going to accept this and not let it taint an otherwise great deal.  I mean, it’s only a mildly sporty Civic and I’m not taking to the track, plus it’s free and likely better than the stock all seasons.  So should t complain.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 06:59:58 pm »

I would call them second tier similar to Firestone, General Tire and Cooper Tires.  The parent company is Goodyear, so this is their budget brand.

I’m going to accept this and not let it taint an otherwise great deal.  I mean, it’s only a mildly sporty Civic and I’m not taking to the track, plus it’s free and likely better than the stock all seasons.  So should t complain.

If it's the 18" it's probably also 240 treadwear rating.  I think they might be being discontinued and on sale.  They should be relatively sticky.
Dunlop and Goodyear merged and are un-merging, Dunlop wasn't really a second tier company like Kelly or Cooper, which Goodyear also bought.  IIRC   
There was some rebranding and cost-cutting of some cheaper Dunlop tires, but I think that might be in the past.

I have DZ102 on the Miata, they're good for the price, which is cheap, but not great in rain.  YMMV with the RT2
Mr Pickypants

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 07:07:35 pm »

If it's the 18" it's probably also 240 treadwear rating.  I think they might be being discontinued and on sale.  They should be relatively sticky.
Dunlop and Goodyear merged and are un-merging, Dunlop wasn't really a second tier company like Kelly or Cooper, which Goodyear also bought.  IIRC   
There was some rebranding and cost-cutting of some cheaper Dunlop tires, but I think that might be in the past.

I have DZ102 on the Miata, they're good for the price, which is cheap, but not great in rain.  YMMV with the RT2
I think the stock tires are 235/40R 18’s.  I believe the stock tires are Goodyear Eagle Sport all seasons.

If they are decent or close to the General Tires I wanted, I won’t care. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:09:46 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 07:17:04 pm »

Agreed

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 08:57:35 pm »
With a 240 treadwear rating I wouldn't sweat it, you'll be replacing them soon enough anyway.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 08:59:01 pm »
Those Dunlops are stock tires on WRX and STI. They're pretty good as a street tire. Decent grip and predictable imo. People who track don't like them and usually upgrade to stickier (more expensive) tires.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 08:59:30 pm »
With a 240 treadwear rating I wouldn't sweat it, you'll be replacing them soon enough anyway.
^this! :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 07:11:01 pm »
I had those tires for a season of mixed DD and track use about 5 years ago and quite liked them. Dunlop is a premium brand, right up there with Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone. It they were able to get them for the same price as the Generals, then it sounds like a great deal. They will wear quickly, however, but will give you many smiles on their way down to their tread wear indicators.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 07:16:07 pm »
I had those tires for a season of mixed DD and track use about 5 years ago and quite liked them. Dunlop is a premium brand, right up there with Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone. It they were able to get them for the same price as the Generals, then it sounds like a great deal. They will wear quickly, however, but will give you many smiles on their way down to their tread wear indicators.
Any idea on how many kms you think you would have gotten with them?  I only drive about 7,500kms per year, and half of that would be with winter tires, so at most 4,000 kms per year on the summers.  Even if they only last 20,000kms, that would be 5 seasons.  I don’t track my cars, just back road blasts occasionally.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 07:26:47 pm »
Any idea on how many kms you think you would have gotten with them?  I only drive about 7,500kms per year, and half of that would be with winter tires, so at most 4,000 kms per year on the summers.  Even if they only last 20,000kms, that would be 5 seasons.  I don’t track my cars, just back road blasts occasionally.
They will do you fine! I liked them just as much as the Michelin Pilot SuperSports that I put on after them. Great grip, balance well, and quiet. Awesome in the rain, too. Google around and you might find the slightly hyperbolic review that an Australian wrote on these. Dunlop is a very big brand in Asia and Oceania

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 11:19:52 pm »

My friend DD them and he's very impressed with the grip and longevity.