Author Topic: New tires for the 128i  (Read 10465 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: New tires for the 128i
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 08:59:09 am »
To circle back to this, tire availability has been awful around here.  But I found the AS4 at Crappy Tire in time to get the current rebate, so they are getting installed this afternoon.  Looking forward to ditching the GY run flats and finally taking this on some longer drives (was nervous to venture too far from home on the current tires dated 1811).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 09:35:21 am »
New rubber is never a fun purchase (for me anyway) but awfully satisfying once you're rolling. And yeah, availability is a real issue right now.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 07:58:55 am »
Tires are installed and feel great, at least compared to what they replaced.  I'll never use the service dept at crappy tire again though....I'll just pick up the tires and take them elsewhere.  My sanity is worth more than the hassle of multiple stops.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 02:51:56 pm »
Tires are installed and feel great, at least compared to what they replaced.  I'll never use the service dept at crappy tire again though....I'll just pick up the tires and take them elsewhere.  My sanity is worth more than the hassle of multiple stops.
I've had better luck at Canadian Tire than dedicated tire places, personally.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 03:58:56 pm »

Totally going to depend on the store. Being franchise businesses, the Service Manager has a lot of control over how the shops are run - there are some very experienced and passionate Service Managers out there who run exceptional shops, but the opposite is also true too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 04:40:47 pm »

Totally going to depend on the store. Being franchise businesses, the Service Manager has a lot of control over how the shops are run - there are some very experienced and passionate Service Managers out there who run exceptional shops, but the opposite is also true too.

That's the case at the place I use.

Service manager knows I'm fussy and endeavours to make things perfect.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 09:51:36 am »

That's the case at the place I use.

Service manager knows I'm fussy and endeavours to make things perfect.

Showed up at 2:15 for a 2:30 install appointment.  Called ahead to make sure they were running on time.  Told them I would wait around for it, but I HAD to pickup my kids at 4:30, so please be honest with me on timing.  No problem to rebook another day if they were behind.  Told me they were pretty much on time, no worries.  Left my car and went across the street for a coffee, could see my car still sitting in the parking lot at 3:00.  Went back over to check in.  Said they were bringing it in soon.  Fine.  Sat in the waiting room watching the shop through the window.  Never saw so many guys moving around like they were walking in quicksand, SO SLLOOOWWWWW.  Saw my tires finally being mounted in the rims. Then saw my rims sitting stacked on the floor.  For another 15 minutes.  Went to the service desk at 4:00 to ask WTF was going on.  Told me the tech just went on his lunch beak.  Got a newbie to take over the job but he struggled to balance them.  I had some strong words for the manager and I had to call daycare and negotiate someone staying late with my kids.    Finally somebody got them balanced and mounted on the car.  At 4:45.  FFS.