Author Topic: 2019 Mazda CX-5  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 08:44:57 am »
So I guess the other side benefit of getting this wife compliant Mazda is that it clears the way for you to get a "you car"?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 09:01:18 am »
So I guess the other side benefit of getting this wife compliant Mazda is that it clears the way for you to get a "you car"?

Maybe, eventually?   I think I'd rather get a motorcycle before a 'me' car.  I'll still be the primary driver of the CX-5 anyway. 

Should be a nice upgrade over the Mazda3 when we do our May BC trip.  Little more fuel to burn, but the adaptive cruse will be handy, and the cabin inside the CX-5 is markedly quieter than the cabin in the 3. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2022, 09:15:42 am »
Nice going.  I think you'll be very happy in this...great choice as an all-rounder, especially for a one-car family.  Hope you rack up lots of mileage!!

Online JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2022, 10:24:20 am »
Congrats! Now time to update your "cars"  :D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 11:04:50 am »
Sweet. Those drive really nice.

Is it  AWD with the 2.5?

Yes, AWD with 2.5NA.  leatherette seats, dual zone automatic climate control, sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure Alert, Blind Spot monitoring., Power liftgate. No NAV on this one, but it has Android Auto/Carplay, so I don't care.

Fairly sure you can just add nav by putting the software on an SD card. I uh... "legally acquired" this software and put it on a $5 amazon SD card on my buddy's '17-ish Mazda3 hatch.

(@Firm, the same clown who now has the RAV2 Coupe)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 01:52:10 pm »
We took delivery yesterday afternoon.  So far I've driven it home from the dealership, and to/from work in the snowstorm today. 

A couple of first impressions:

The cabin is very quiet.  Quieter than any other vehicle I've owned.  Very nice.
The seat heaters and steering wheel heater turn off when you turn the vehicle off.  I'd prefer they stay on (like the Mazda3's heated seats did).  That's kind of annoying.  I'm not sure if there is a setting somewhere in vehicle settings that changes that or not.
The AWD system is great.  Competent and unobtrusive - it's just there.  Very playful, too.  It will let you kick the tail out in corners when slippery, and I haven't been able to determine yet if the stability/traction control system will ever intervene.  It's far more playful than the Tundra was - the computers on the truck would shut down any playfulness immediately. 
Needs winter tires.  It's got a set of Yokohama Geolanders on it.  It will be getting Blizzaks in the fall.

I'm very much looking forward to doing our BC roadtrip in the CX-5.  Will be a treat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2022, 02:09:19 pm »
New car day always exciting!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 02:36:50 pm »
Congrats GBA, nice unit and tough to go wrong with a CX-5.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 11:40:19 pm »
Congrats GBA. Might have missed it but is there a trailer hitch already installed for the bike(s)?

As for Android Auto, despite the glitches I get, I was enjoying it until my phone decided to crap out before driving home from up north when I plugged it in to see, device not recognized.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2022, 12:04:20 am »
Congrats GBA. Might have missed it but is there a trailer hitch already installed for the bike(s)?

As for Android Auto, despite the glitches I get, I was enjoying it until my phone decided to crap out before driving home from up north when I plugged it in to see, device not recognized.

It's booked to go in next week for the hitch & harness install.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2022, 11:51:08 am »
Nice acquisition man, Mazda makes the best looking CUVs on the market.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2022, 12:16:21 pm »

It really is a very pretty car/CUV.  The proportions are perfect, and the nose - man, Mazda is really at the top of their game when it comes to styling. 

The more time I spend with it, the more I love it.  The Mazda3 was a fine car, and I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it.  It also felt a bit like a tin can.  The CX-5 has a solidity to it that reminds me of the Tundra - it feels very vault-like.  Apparently when Mazda was refreshing the CX-5 for 2017, one of things they worked on was the suspension and the liquid-filled bushings to give it that solid feel. 

The one downside would be the infotainment - it's the same as what's in the Mazda3, and can be laggy at times.  Android Auto/ Apple Carplay would theoretically fix that, but you NEED to use the HMI controller with it - the touchscreen doesn't work with AA/ACP, even when stopped, and it just ends up feeling kinda clunky because of it.  Apparently the refreshed infotainment in the 2021 CX-5 is far superior. 

I've been getting anywhere from 9.5 - 11.5L/100kms so far on city drives with light traffic, but a lot of that was in snowstorm conditions, so who knows what kind of mileage I'll actually end up with. 

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 03:05:48 pm »

It really is a very pretty car/CUV.  The proportions are perfect, and the nose - man, Mazda is really at the top of their game when it comes to styling. 

The more time I spend with it, the more I love it.  The Mazda3 was a fine car, and I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it.  It also felt a bit like a tin can.  The CX-5 has a solidity to it that reminds me of the Tundra - it feels very vault-like.  Apparently when Mazda was refreshing the CX-5 for 2017, one of things they worked on was the suspension and the liquid-filled bushings to give it that solid feel. 

The one downside would be the infotainment - it's the same as what's in the Mazda3, and can be laggy at times.  Android Auto/ Apple Carplay would theoretically fix that, but you NEED to use the HMI controller with it - the touchscreen doesn't work with AA/ACP, even when stopped, and it just ends up feeling kinda clunky because of it.  Apparently the refreshed infotainment in the 2021 CX-5 is far superior. 

I've been getting anywhere from 9.5 - 11.5L/100kms so far on city drives with light traffic, but a lot of that was in snowstorm conditions, so who knows what kind of mileage I'll actually end up with.

What year was the Mazda 3? The reason I am asking is the "Tin Can" remark. I was just wondering if the 3 you referred to was the current generation or not.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2022, 03:10:46 pm »

What year was the Mazda 3? The reason I am asking is the "Tin Can" remark. I was just wondering if the 3 you referred to was the current generation or not.

It was a 2016, so the previous generation.  And I said 'a bit' of a tin can.  It was still fairly refined, but you could definitely tell that it was an economy car at its roots.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2022, 07:28:16 pm »

My mom has a 2021.5 CX-5 and she finds the drive very solid feeling. You do feel the road imperfections, but not so much that it beats you up.

The upgraded infotainment and high res screen is nice in the 2021.5, but there is no touchscreen at all and all the controls go through either the rotary knob or centre console buttons. It is okay, but it does take a bit of time to get used to coming from a touchscreen setup.

She is so far averaging about 11.5L/ 100 km, but that is mostly city driving and she has the Turbo. I would expect the non-Turbo to use 1.0-1.5L less.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2022, 07:53:21 pm »
^^^It's amazing how small the penalty seems to be if you go for the turbo engine.  No-san (a fellow member we seldom see) has a Mazda3 with the 2.5T, and according to him it doesn't get much worse mileage than my 2.0NA Mazda3 did. 

The 2.5NA in the CX-5 seems adequate.  It's no powerhouse, but it keeps up just fine around town.  I imagine on the highway is where you'd really benefit from the turbo. 

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2022, 11:28:41 pm »
^^^It's amazing how small the penalty seems to be if you go for the turbo engine.  No-san (a fellow member we seldom see) has a Mazda3 with the 2.5T, and according to him it doesn't get much worse mileage than my 2.0NA Mazda3 did. 

The 2.5NA in the CX-5 seems adequate.  It's no powerhouse, but it keeps up just fine around town.  I imagine on the highway is where you'd really benefit from the turbo.

Yes, she drove both when shopping, but once you drive the Turbo, it is hard to go back to the NA. She also came from a VW TDI with lots of low end torque, so she was used to the driving characteristics of a turbo. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the 2.5NA and it will suffice for most people. I like that Mazda is sticking with conventional torque converter automatics, whereas many of its competitors are now using CVTs.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2022, 10:35:23 am »
Nice acquisition, and definitely the best looking CUV IMO. And definitely ideal to have your wife driving. Add in AWD and this one should serve your needs for quite some time.

Nice that the dealer did a solid with trade-in value, which has an automatic 10% advantage due to taxation.

So is this car number 5 in 5 years? Caravan, Civic, Tundra, 3, cx-5? I'm kinda jealous, I've just had the golf wagon through this time  ;D

Good call going hitch rack for this, I find it hard enough to get the bikes on the golf and I'm reasonably tall and strong enough... I still prefer the hitch pretty much any day, and that's ignoring the stress of forgetting and hitting the garage or something  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2022, 11:40:50 am »
Nice acquisition, and definitely the best looking CUV IMO. And definitely ideal to have your wife driving. Add in AWD and this one should serve your needs for quite some time.

Nice that the dealer did a solid with trade-in value, which has an automatic 10% advantage due to taxation.

So is this car number 5 in 5 years? Caravan, Civic, Tundra, 3, cx-5? I'm kinda jealous, I've just had the golf wagon through this time  ;D

Good call going hitch rack for this, I find it hard enough to get the bikes on the golf and I'm reasonably tall and strong enough... I still prefer the hitch pretty much any day, and that's ignoring the stress of forgetting and hitting the garage or something  ;D

Yeah, it's quite ridiculous, isn't it?  I think I may have a problem.  The thing is, I haven't really lost any money switching vehicles in the last few years.  I made money on the Tundra, and drove the Mazda3 for free for 8 months.  That may end with the CX-5, though.  I'm expecting used car prices to dip back down to normal in the next year or two, as supply lines fix themselves and stock of new vehicles become readily available once again.

I'll still put a roof rack on this - I need to transport my canoe.  BUT, I prefer the hitchrack because it will improve fuel economy when transporting bikes.  I noticed a significant fuel economy penalty when transporting bikes on the roof of the Mazda.  Plus I wanted to get a hitch anyway so that I could pull a small trailer when doing yardwork or picking up something bulky. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:20:41 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2022, 07:34:33 pm »

That's just the consequence of having exquisite taste.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.