Author Topic: Meet the new boss. Or, Jaeger's Genesis G80 3.3t Sport.  (Read 14459 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Meet the new boss. Or, Jaeger's Genesis G80 3.3t Sport.
« on: March 14, 2022, 07:52:07 am »
So this isn't really an introduction - the car has been shown in the "Post pics of your car right now" thread.  I hadn't the time then to do a write-up of the purchase decision / process, so for those who are interested in that sort of thing, do read on.  This will also serve as a place-holder for future updates - and here's hoping they are as boring and drama-free as they were with the old boss.  ;D

So, you’ve got, like, 2 Genesis sedans now???

I’d barely driven my 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 over the last two years.  With only a brief blip of a part time return to the office, I’ve been working from home.  My daughter has been quite happy to make sure the car didn’t sit idle, though, and has been happy to have essentially unfettered access to it as needed.  With the return to work on the very hear horizon, however, I could see the writing on the wall.  Just before the pandemic hit, we had been looking at the Venue, Kona and CX-3 as possible subcompact / compact options for her for a first car.  But in the present moment, with new car availability being less than stellar and markups on dealer stock being quite common, buying new would definitely have its drawbacks.  And used car prices can be pretty bonkers as well at the moment. 

It occurred to me that she might already be driving her best option.  It’s certainly not the first vehicle that comes to mind for a first car for a new driver, but it’s an unstoppable tank in any weather and she really enjoys driving it.  With only 70,000 km on the clock, and a known history of reliability that approaches perfection, there was real peace of mind with the choice.  For those who think it’s too posh for a first car, well, I get that point of view for sure.  But on the other hand, it’s a 6-year-old Hyundai.  ;)

Now, one thing that came to mind in considering a replacement vehicle for myself was – okay – get something fun and sporty.  But suddenly, fun and sporty cars have dropped in my want list since getting my motorcycle – because it is vastly more fun and engaging than any Miata or Mustang (to me), not to mention a fraction of the price.  A 4-wheeled summer toy will be off the table for me for as long as I roll on two wheels.

The second thing that came to mind was that I couldn’t have been more completely happy with the Genesis in the time I have had it.  It simply excels in its role as a luxury sedan.  And reliability has been damned near perfect – a weak battery when brand new and a faulty door handle last year about sums up the drama.  So I decided I might just look at getting the same car again.  Other than a brief consideration of a used Lexus LS, nothing else really appealed to me as much and nothing at all appealed to me more.

And the third thing to come to mind was that, notwithstanding the rise in used prices, luxury sedans still absolutely suck for depreciation, and Genesis is even worse than Lexus in that regard.  Which, from this side of the fence, is very good news indeed.

But I figured that if I was going to end up driving more or less the same car for more than a decade, version 2 would be as different within the range as it could be just for the sake of some modest level of variety.  1) Different exterior colour – this was least on the requirement list because I still think this car looks amazing in white. But two white Genesis in the driveway seemed vaguely weird.  2) Different interior colour – this was a big one.  Pretty much EVERY car I have owned since my first has had a grey leather interior.  Definitely time for a change there. 3) Different engine.  I’ve been wholly satisfied with the normally aspirated 3.8 V6, but given the reduced price-delta on the used market, I might as well go for moar powah.

But duuuude – you coulda had a V8!  Duuude!?!?!

My main focus actually WAS on getting the V8.  They are already all but gone from the automotive landscape, and the Tau 5.0 is a pretty sweet example.  I ended up test driving a few of them of them, ranging from 2015 to 2018 model years.  One thing that impressed me on ALL the cars I drove was how tight and rattle-free they were (even some examples comfortably over 100,000k) and how solid and well-damped the suspension felt.  None of the cars felt even a little “old” in any way.  I had identified a couple viable options, but kept looking.  The main thing I noticed in driving the V8s was how incredibly similar the driving experience was to my V6 – which absolutely echoed my perception from back when I was shopping new. 

Both engines are smooth and quiet and move the car along briskly in a buttoned-down, drama-free way. This is due in large part to very similar power curves, with peak torque coming waaaay up the rev range. The V8 is always making more power, of course, but this is partly offset by the extra weight.  In normal driving, it doesn’t feel that much different than the V6. The differences really emerge between 7 or 8/10ths throttle to WOT. Absolutely mash the pedal on a highway on-ramp and the extra 100-plus horse of the V8 definitely wake up and gallop.  There’s also a noticeably deeper tone at full blast, but this thing doesn’t howl, bellow or scream – muted and hushed is the order of the day.

So, what’s so different about the turbo 6, then?

Which brings me to the 3.3t Sport.  Now, my only experience with this motor was when our own Patrick D took me for a spin in the G90.  Just from the passenger seat I could feel the substantially stronger pull from down low as compared with my car, but I couldn’t tell how much throttle was being applied to make that difference evident.  So, I drove one.  And immediately found out.  This engine makes the car feel MUCH different – and much more powerful – than my 3.8.  And that difference is manifest just off idle where peak torque arrives early and parties hard. By early, I mean something like 1300 rpm. The V8 makes a bit more torque still – but like the 3.8, you find the torque peak well up the tachometer.  With the turbo, you get immediate thrust any gear, any speed, any rpm. 

(Bonus points to anyone who noticed that all pics shown thus far have been taken in exactly the same spot) :)

There are no dogs in this generation of Genesis, though.  The 3.3t is bit more than a full second faster than the 3.8 in a zero-to-sixty run, and about a half second slower than the 5.0, but it FEELS the most unique and different of bunch.  I came across this dark grey example with the Panda interior and felt like I’d found the one.  The two-tone seats won’t float everyone’s boat but I absolutely love them.  A welcome break from the dark interiors I have known and more distinctive than the slightly old-man-ish (yes, I know I fit that description) tan leather found on the V8.  A dark brick-red / oxblood interior would be killer, but was never offered to my knowledge.  I didn't love the carbon fiber trim at first.  My old-man-ish self would have craved perhaps a matte black ash burl instead.  But the carbon fiber trim has quickly grown on me and I’m not sure I would swap it now if I could.

What about the tech?

This represents by far the biggest change in the driving experience.  Just a few highlights:

Adaptive cruise – I’m a believer.  Far less fiddling about in moderate traffic and very smooth transitions in speed – not as abrupt as some I have experienced.

Active lane keep assist.  Didn’t love it at first, but it’s growing on me.  It does want to keep you right in the EXACT center of the lane.

Auto-levelling and cornering LED headlights.  These are a real upgrade over the HID units in the old car.  Brighter, wider beam, and a surprising degree of deflection in the cornering direction to illuminate your intended path.

Android Auto / Apple Carplay.  Love it.  Seamless integration of music and updated-to-the-minute nav using the apps right from my phone.

Text message reader.  Loving this, too, as I do NOT otherwise check texts while driving.

Upgraded sound.  I’m no audiophile, but even I can discern an upgrade in the 900 watt 17 speaker sound system of the new(er) G80.

And that’s about it.  So, meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss. Sort of.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Meet the new boss. Or, Jaeger's Genesis G80 3.3t Sport.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:24:52 am »
Nice !

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 08:35:31 am »
Congrats.  It's a beautiful car.  So, is the 3.8 still the base engine on this car, with the 3.3T being the top level replacement for the V8? 

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:46:44 am »
Very nice! Congrats!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 08:49:12 am »
Nice, and an excellent way to rationalize a new car...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:46 am »

Nice !

:cheers:

Nice, and an excellent way to rationalize a new car...

;D  Thanks!

Very nice! Congrats!

Congrats.  It's a beautiful car.  So, is the 3.8 still the base engine on this car, with the 3.3T being the top level replacement for the V8?

Thanks man.  All naturally aspirated engines are gone for the current generation.  A 2.5t four cylinder replaces the former 3.8 V6 and a 3.5t 6 cylinder replaces both the 3.3t V6 and the 5.0l V8.  The 3.3t V6 lives on, for the moment, in the G70 sedan and Kia Stinger.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:57:10 am »
very nice, congrats

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 09:17:01 am »
Niice writeup! Makes me want a big Genesis

Totally agree with this too:

motorcycle – because it is vastly more fun and engaging than any Miata or Mustang (to me), not to mention a fraction of the price.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:48:44 am »
Now that is a good looking car!  Congrats!   :cheers:
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 09:50:27 am »
Congrats, sounds like a great car!

I didn’t even realize you got the same car again, until you posted the pictures side by side. FWIW, I think the dark grey on the new one looks way better. Wheels are nicer, too. Great looking sedan!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 10:00:26 am »
Nice ride. Two things you touched on. The v8 would have been sweet although the six seems solid. I agree with the carbon trim pieces., a nice clean grain (ash?) MATTE wood. Not feeling the shine in that interior.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 10:11:37 am »
Niice writeup! Makes me want a big Genesis

Totally agree with this too:

motorcycle – because it is vastly more fun and engaging than any Miata or Mustang (to me), not to mention a fraction of the price.

Now that is a good looking car!  Congrats!   :cheers:

very nice, congrats

Thanks a bunch, gents.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 10:16:17 am »
Congrats, sounds like a great car!

I didn’t even realize you got the same car again, until you posted the pictures side by side. FWIW, I think the dark grey on the new one looks way better. Wheels are nicer, too. Great looking sedan!

Much appreciated.  I gotta say I freaking LOVE the wheels on this thing.  At 19", a size up from the old car, and wider rubber, especially in the rear.  The classic design combined with the black chrome finish really do it for me though.  Also dig the copper accents on the wheels, which can be found throughout the car.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 10:20:29 am »
Nice ride. Two things you touched on. The v8 would have been sweet although the six seems solid. I agree with the carbon trim pieces., a nice clean grain (ash?) MATTE wood. Not feeling the shine in that interior.

I think it's the gloss more than the carbon fiber itself that took some getting used to.  I've seen black ash in other cars and think it's a fantastic application where you don't want to introduce colour to the interior trim.

And I think Genesis has pretty much gone to matte open-pore woods in any wood-trimmed model now.  The G90 retained the old school high-gloss finish on the dash and doors for a couple years, but abandoned it even before the new model.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 10:56:33 am »
Minor nit pick. The wheels are awesome.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 11:12:17 am »
Very nice. I did not notice the copper exterior accents before, but I really like that. Great color combo too!

I agree that the carbon fiber wouldn't have been my choice, a little too boy-racer for such an elegant car, but when buying used you take what you can get and I think you did pretty well here. For what it's worth, carbon fiber (or similar) trim in cars it doesn't suit is pretty common, I know I've complained about it a few times in reviews. The matte open pore wood grains are sweet, but I have to admit that I am a sucker for old-school high-gloss wood - though there really are not many manufactures doing it anymore.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 11:16:59 am »
This is really a great looking car and should serve you well based on your past experience.  Congrats.

Are those the factory wheels or a winter set?  Either way they are sharp. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2022, 11:19:06 am »
Congrats! As I said in the other thread, great car!  :thumbup:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 12:36:40 pm »
I prefer carbon fibre, I find wood gain gets old looking pretty quickly

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 12:54:04 pm »
Minor nit pick. The wheels are awesome.

Very nice. I did not notice the copper exterior accents before, but I really like that. Great color combo too!

I agree that the carbon fiber wouldn't have been my choice, a little too boy-racer for such an elegant car, but when buying used you take what you can get and I think you did pretty well here. For what it's worth, carbon fiber (or similar) trim in cars it doesn't suit is pretty common, I know I've complained about it a few times in reviews. The matte open pore wood grains are sweet, but I have to admit that I am a sucker for old-school high-gloss wood - though there really are not many manufactures doing it anymore.

Cheers.  The copper exterior accents are very unique.  It extends to interior details as well - copper guilloche dial on the clock and copper stitching on the seats and door panels. 

I'm fine with high gloss on an older car - such as the Equus and say, the previous generation Lexus LS.  But I find it looks pretty dated on a very contemporary offering.  I'm not sure who started the march away from gloss wood, but I remember seeing the matt wood first on a Volvo and thinking it looked awesome.

You are right about buying used and taking the best example you can find.  You have a lot of experience with that.  I have, well, just this one.  ;D