Author Topic: my car is completely obsolete  (Read 10732 times)

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: my car is completely obsolete
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2022, 09:49:50 am »
He had a TL but I can't remember if his was a 6MT AWD? Definitely a neat car.

There's a single one on AutoTrader, a 2012 with 240k on it for $16,500. https://www.autotrader.ca/a/acura/tl/kitchener/ontario/19_12166857_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_8_8&pc=E3B%202A2&sprx=-1

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2022, 10:04:15 am »
VMango's TL was definitely a 6MT AWD TL. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-462
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2022, 10:17:01 am »
VMango's TL was definitely a 6MT AWD TL.
That's what I thought, and shame on us for forgetting about that nice vehicle.  I know he enjoyed it while he had it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2022, 10:21:13 am »

and adaptive cruise I would never trust.

Not in a Jaguar, anyways.
Any car. Computers screw up too often to trust them with my.life.
Dude...it's cruise control.

You still pay attention.

Geez.....we have the Tesla people who think tech can do no wrong and then Chaos who thinks cruise control is out to kill him...

I just don't trust it. I trust myself to drive and brake the car and keep it within the lines, not a computer. Too many variables that could go wrong.

I want to steer and drive my car, not some computer. But that is just me.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2022, 11:49:23 am »
I just don't trust it. I trust myself to drive and brake the car and keep it within the lines, not a computer. Too many variables that could go wrong.

You aren't having a nap or playing backgammon with your passenger. You still have to drive the car.

Nobody is saying use radar cruise on twisty switchbacks. It is for when you are logging miles down a boring straight highway as it just makes things more relaxing.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2022, 03:02:25 pm »

You aren't having a nap or playing backgammon with your passenger. You still have to drive the car.

Nobody is saying use radar cruise on twisty switchbacks. It is for when you are logging miles down a boring straight highway as it just makes things more relaxing.
I have never been sitting in my car with the cruise on, flying down a highway thinking it needs to be a more relaxed and disconnected experience...I stick my cruise on, and can go for hours on end. Just me though. I guess I am a luddite when it comes to highway cruising.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2022, 03:12:07 pm »

I have never been sitting in my car with the cruise on, flying down a highway thinking it needs to be a more relaxed and disconnected experience...I stick my cruise on, and can go for hours on end. Just me though. I guess I am a luddite when it comes to highway cruising.
Not a luddite.

Just a bit unreasonable in what you think it does/doesn't do.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2022, 03:30:08 pm »
Probably one of the most useful bits of the new tech. That and 360 cameras for me

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2022, 03:32:02 pm »
Probably one of the most useful bits of the new tech. That and 360 cameras for me

Agreed. Radar cruise and 360 cam are awesome on the MDX.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2022, 03:44:48 pm »

So you will use cruise but not radar cruise? I just can't follow your thinking with this one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2022, 04:56:41 pm »
He had a TL but I can't remember if his was a 6MT AWD? Definitely a neat car.

There's a single one on AutoTrader, a 2012 with 240k on it for $16,500. https://www.autotrader.ca/a/acura/tl/kitchener/ontario/19_12166857_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_8_8&pc=E3B%202A2&sprx=-1

No, his was an automatic.

Yep..auto.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2022, 02:15:51 am »

So you will use cruise but not radar cruise? I just can't follow your thinking with this one.
Yep. I am strange and dont like driving nannies. If you guys enjoy them, all the power to you.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-443
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2022, 08:09:50 pm »

Yep. I am strange and dont like driving nannies. If you guys enjoy them, all the power to you.

I am with you sir.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +233/-1074
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2022, 08:40:28 pm »
I don't like electronic nannies either, and I immediately turn off any of the lane departure / lane keep type stuff. Adaptive cruise is the one exception for me as it does take the misery out of long highway trips, especially when you're just chilling on cruise and someone slows down ahead, merges, etc. The automatic reaction, without having to manually pause your cruise, is pretty sweet. I don't do a ton of that type of driving these days, but if I did, adaptive cruise would be a very nice feature to have.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2022, 08:44:01 pm »
I don't like electronic nannies either, and I immediately turn off any of the lane departure / lane keep type stuff. Adaptive cruise is the one exception for me as it does take the misery out of long highway trips, especially when you're just chilling on cruise and someone slows down ahead, merges, etc. The automatic reaction, without having to manually pause your cruise, is pretty sweet. I don't do a ton of that type of driving these days, but if I did, adaptive cruise would be a very nice feature to have.

I also find that the following distances are "safer" than what most people typically follow when cruise is on.

Also...I've notice the radar cruise in certain weather can "see" farther than my eyes can...if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:45:44 pm by rrocket »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +233/-1074
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2022, 08:54:12 pm »

I also find that the following distances are "safer" than what most people typically follow when cruise is on.

Also...I've notice the radar cruise in certain weather can "see" farther than my eyes can...if that makes sense.

Yeah, most of the following distances are excessively cautious, I usually keep it on the tightest setting (assuming good weather), which minimizes unnecessary reactions. I agree on the 'sight lines'...heavy rain and spray for example, doesn't affect radar.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6818
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2022, 10:06:39 pm »
Dislike the adaptive cruise for the main reason that the amount of braking the vehicle does on the highway just following someone is ridiculous.

MDX displays vehicle braking in the cluster.  Even if you can't feel it, it's constantly on off on off.  Not an issue if you could revert back to good ole standard cruise but that's gone.  Moreover, when the front radar gets plastered with snow you get no cruise.

Big fan of the lane keep. You can mix a drink hands free. Fondle the wife.  Whatever.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2022, 10:13:59 pm »

Dislike the adaptive cruise for the main reason that the amount of braking the vehicle does on the highway just following someone is ridiculous.

MDX displays vehicle braking in the cluster.  Even if you can't feel it, it's constantly on off on off.  Not an issue if you could revert back to good ole standard cruise but that's gone.  Moreover, when the front radar gets plastered with snow you get no cruise.

Big fan of the lane keep. You can mix a drink hands free. Fondle the wife.  Whatever.

Shouldn't the MDX have regular cruise control as well? My Passport has both the adaptive & regular cruise for when the front radar isn't functioning.

The adaptive system in my old Grand Cherokee was MUCH better, wouldn't brake as aggressive, or as much, was smoother. The best feature was when you'd use the turn signal to move into the left lane after being slowed by a car in front it would accelerate back to your set speed VERY quickly, not at a snail's pace like the Passport does.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2022, 10:18:29 pm »
.  Not an issue if you could revert back to good ole standard cruise but that's gone.  Moreover, when the front radar gets plastered with snow you get no cruise.

According to the manual page 527, you can.

Press and hold the interval button for one
second. Cruise mode selected appears on
the driver information interface for two
seconds, and then the mode switches to
Cruise.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2022, 10:24:13 pm »
.  Not an issue if you could revert back to good ole standard cruise but that's gone.  Moreover, when the front radar gets plastered with snow you get no cruise.

According to the manual page 527, you can.

Press and hold the interval button for one
second. Cruise mode selected appears on
the driver information interface for two
seconds, and then the mode switches to
Cruise.
Same process as my Passport.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk