Author Topic: my car is completely obsolete  (Read 10719 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Re: my car is completely obsolete
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2022, 02:13:11 pm »
I think IQ (Ron's partner) has an A5 Quattro V6 manual .

Huh, neat. I didn't know theirs was a 3.2 - thought it was a 2.0 6MT.

I don't think the B8 A4 (2008-2009+) got the V6, but I may be wrong. Q5s got the 3.2 V6 though.
Yep...3.2L, manual, AWD.

Her TT was also V6, manual AWD. But different engine.

And of course her IS is I6+ manual.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 02:19:11 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2022, 02:16:02 pm »
Not an NA 6cyl but the entire drivetrain in my car is basically from the 90s, lol. Throw in quick ratio hydraulic steering (what other current car still has hydraulic steering) and the car feels very analog.  Bought it new in 2016 but it also didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2022, 02:20:48 pm »
Not an NA 6cyl but the entire drivetrain in my car is basically from the 90s, lol. Throw in quick ratio hydraulic steering (what other current car still has hydraulic steering) and the car feels very analog.  Bought it new in 2016 but it also didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
That was my thing with the 987/997s Porsches. Very analog.

The later Porsches, while better overall in most every regard, feel much less analog.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2022, 02:40:01 pm »
Maxima and Altima both offered V6 plus manual.  Owned both.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2022, 03:10:52 pm »
Wrong wheels driven though in both cases... just saying ;)

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-98
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2022, 03:24:44 pm »
Going forward I really have no interest in any of the new glass cockpit cars, electronic uber nannies and blender engines so It looks like I will be shopping used.

Looking at the market today, the only car I can think of buying in 10 years from now with a NA V6 and AWD (I'm a sucker for the goodness of AWD for a year-round car), is the IS300/350. It's a given a manual is no longer possible with that combo....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-462
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2022, 03:27:23 pm »
The only car that I can think of that can be bought with hydraulic steering is from Lotus, the new Emira gets it and one of the reasons why I think it’s so special.  That Alfa mini supercar that was sold up until a few years ago didn’t have any steering assist I think.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2022, 03:30:05 pm »
This thread got me thinking again about one thing....

Which "regular" cars (not high performance cars or versions of the car) sold in North America after 2000 had this exact combo: NA 6-cyl+Manual+AWD?

The only ones I can think of are BMWs and Audi A4 (2000-2005). Are there any other ones out there? I guess Subaru might've had the Legacy or Outback at some point but were they manual with H6?
That ideal car for me was the short lived Chevrolet SS, although it had GM's 6.2 liter V8, not a 6 cylinder. 4 door sedan, manual transmission option, naturally aspirated V8, rwd, it had it all and it was not a premium/luxury ride. But GM in it's wisdom only sold that car in North America long enough to satisfy it's production obligation to the Australian Government for GM's Holden operations in Australia. The SS was a thinly disguised export version of GM Australia's domestic Holden Commodore. And as soon as GM's Australian operations were wound up, the SS ceased to exist in North America.

Oh yeah, I remember those.... I really liked and still do to some extent the predecessor - Pontiac G8... It looked rather refreshing at the time as it didn't look much like a regular GM....

Owned a G8 GT (the non GTs were the V6 hair dresser version). Great proportions, good handling. Build quality was horrible. A nightmare if things broke because everything other than the drivetrain sourced from Australia. The G*s were hobbled by the horrible DOD (displacement on demand and a slow shifting 6 speed automatic. Some wizardry fixed the displacement issue but the only way to get around the auto was to go import a GXP from the US.
Was it you who had the sunroof explode?

Funny you mention exploding sunroofs. We were at a dinner party last night and the host told a story about the sunroof in her 535i wagon exploding while she was driving on a highway while carrying valuable artwork in the car.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-98
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2022, 03:36:19 pm »
This thread got me thinking again about one thing....

Which "regular" cars (not high performance cars or versions of the car) sold in North America after 2000 had this exact combo: NA 6-cyl+Manual+AWD?

The only ones I can think of are BMWs and Audi A4 (2000-2005). Are there any other ones out there? I guess Subaru might've had the Legacy or Outback at some point but were they manual with H6?
That ideal car for me was the short lived Chevrolet SS, although it had GM's 6.2 liter V8, not a 6 cylinder. 4 door sedan, manual transmission option, naturally aspirated V8, rwd, it had it all and it was not a premium/luxury ride. But GM in it's wisdom only sold that car in North America long enough to satisfy it's production obligation to the Australian Government for GM's Holden operations in Australia. The SS was a thinly disguised export version of GM Australia's domestic Holden Commodore. And as soon as GM's Australian operations were wound up, the SS ceased to exist in North America.

The 2006-2007ish A4 (early B7) had the 3.2 V6 + 6MT combo, with Quattro. That was a neat car.

Interesting... I thought the 2006-2009 A4s with 3.2L were automatic only. Never came across this combo in my searches....

EDIT: But you are right... they did exist but must be very rare... Even the Avant had this combo....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:44:18 pm by Dante »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2022, 03:40:52 pm »
You know what 6 cylinder, manual, AWD sedan I would love to have… Last generation Audi S4.  Sure it’s not naturally aspirated but supercharged engines are just as rare and offer similar experience.  A guy I work with has one and he did an APR stage 2 tune, software and hardware on it and it makes a lot of power and has been quite reliable for him.  I talk to him all the time about what he will buy next, he only wants AWD and manual set up and refuses to get something with less performance.  So his only real option is a 911 4S, but he is in no hurry as used prices for Porsche are crazy right now.

Yep, always liked these although I don't think they handle as well as a 3-series. But a few years back I was always looking for used ones. Manuals are relatively common in them too.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2022, 03:41:33 pm »
On the flipside modern cars are:

- Safer
- More reliable
- Less polluting
- Easier to use

Would be nice for manufacturers to offer basic cars with safety and efficiency but without all the gizmos and features. Base Maverick comes to mind.

Yeah, the Maverick is a great product. I think Ford really nailed it with that one. Much of its appeal lies in its simplicity.

Bronco, again from Ford, is another good example. New, from scratch, frame on SUV, with new tech. More of this please.

Also, we have sone survivor bias maybe as lots of older cars are POSs and have disintegrated from existence.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2022, 03:50:34 pm »
Wrong wheels driven though in both cases... just saying ;)

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

No argument here - but I thought we were talking n/a V6 plus manual.  But I could be mistaken - lots of different configurations being tossed about. 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-406
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '99 S 500 LWB, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2022, 04:04:59 pm »
You know what 6 cylinder, manual, AWD sedan I would love to have… Last generation Audi S4.  Sure it’s not naturally aspirated but supercharged engines are just as rare and offer similar experience.  A guy I work with has one and he did an APR stage 2 tune, software and hardware on it and it makes a lot of power and has been quite reliable for him.  I talk to him all the time about what he will buy next, he only wants AWD and manual set up and refuses to get something with less performance.  So his only real option is a 911 4S, but he is in no hurry as used prices for Porsche are crazy right now.

Yep, always liked these although I don't think they handle as well as a 3-series. But a few years back I was always looking for used ones. Manuals are relatively common in them too.

Yup, the S4 is one of my favourite daily drivers ever made. It's a shame they're now so old that I wouldn't realistically ever own one.

The whole "handles worse than a 3-series" is kind of nonsense in the day-to-day thing. I live somewhere where every corner is 90 degrees with a traffic light. Handling between a city bus and a Mini Cooper S might be different, but most would be hard-pressed to differentiate an E90 335i xDrive and a B8.5 S4, other than power delivery.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2022, 04:07:38 pm »

Yup, the S4 is one of my favourite daily drivers ever made. It's a shame they're now so old that I wouldn't realistically ever own one.

The whole "handles worse than a 3-series" is kind of nonsense in the day-to-day thing. I live somewhere where every corner is 90 degrees with a traffic light. Handling between a city bus and a Mini Cooper S might be different, but most would be hard-pressed to differentiate an E90 335i xDrive and a B8.5 S4, other than power delivery.

Fair enough.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2022, 05:39:56 pm »

- Safer
- More reliable
- Less polluting
- Easier to use

Would be nice for manufacturers to offer basic cars with safety and efficiency but without all the gizmos and features. Base Maverick comes to mind.

If the Maverick hybrid was AWD I'd be at the dealer right now.

It is a shame there is no adaptive cruise on the base model. I can do without leather seats, sunroof, etc, but adaptive would be great to have

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2022, 06:54:44 pm »

- Safer
- More reliable
- Less polluting
- Easier to use

It is a shame there is no adaptive cruise on the base model. I can do without leather seats, sunroof, etc, but adaptive would be great to have

See... I had adaptive cruise on the Tundra, and while it was a cool novelty at first, I found out that the longer I had the truck, the less I used it.  What I DO appreciate are sunroofs and heated seats....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2022, 07:03:19 pm »
How much driving did you do on busy 4 lane roads though? I assume that's where it really shines.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2022, 07:12:41 pm »

- Safer
- More reliable
- Less polluting
- Easier to use

See... I had adaptive cruise on the Tundra, and while it was a cool novelty at first, I found out that the longer I had the truck, the less I used it.  What I DO appreciate are sunroofs and heated seats....

We have it on our RDX and I do a lot of highway driving.  Love the adaptive cruise.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2022, 07:18:59 pm »
Edmonton traffic tends to be pretty brutal at rush hour. All speed adaptive cruise is apparently wonderful bumping along in gridlock

The adaptive cruise on the RX is fantastic on the highway, so I can see how a more modern system would be great in town

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2022, 07:32:13 pm »
I use the radar cruise in the city, 2 lane highways, and 400 series highways and love it in all applications. I also like how I can just dial in the speed to the exact number I want vs guessing on a crowded speedometer.

Now lane keep I only use on 400 series highways as I find it too ping-pong on 2 lane hwys.