Author Topic: Weeny Issi  (Read 7995 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Weeny Issi
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 05:16:07 am »
A cars and coffee would be a fantastic idea. I would be there in a flash with the fam in the big cat.
I'd be ahead of you in the AMG topless.. :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

It would mark the first time ever that both an AMG and a V8 Jag would be at the shop and I would go home with no more money than I left with!

Don't worry, one of them would probably breakdown while they are there!  ;D

Awesome find!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 10:20:26 am »
Now if only they could be found like that in LHD.

Nice find anyway.  :thumbup:

They actually can! They made some like they for the North American market, but they’re mostly all rusty. No one thought to preserve them. There are a few left in German and French markets too, but the way to go is Japan if you care about mint preservation.

Should be an easy enough LHD conversion, right?  Right??  :think:  A couple bolts here, a few nuts there...voila!  You've got a mini with the wheel on the right...I mean left...side, a VMax 1600 engine in the back...and you're gold!

I kind of like the appeal of RHD though! From what I understand, an LHD conversion isn't hard, but I'm not sure this will be a long term keeper. Let's see how things go / values are in a few months.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 02:12:52 pm »
Really nice unit there! The pic below shows model kits, but being the same scale it gives an idea of the size difference between a BMW Mini and the original:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2022, 07:23:48 pm »
Henry's all sorted now! Had a little bit of an oil leak from a seal, and luckily parts are cheap. $4 later we're all good! I had the side arches (flares) painted body color, mounted the little rally lights that were in the trunk, and gave it a wash/polish.

Now just waiting for the 12-inch Minilite wheels and tires and it's all good! I took it for another quick boot and it drives beautifully. Put a full tank of gas into it (24-liters LOL!). It got a TON of attention just going to the gas station across the street and back.

I also want to get the little burlwood shift knob and steering wheel, which would look properly cool.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 07:30:57 pm »
This will be an easy sell IMO

If it's going to be a sell anyways, I'd do the math and see what will fetch more money..RHD or LHD.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 07:35:01 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 09:06:42 pm »
LHD, in Canada, is definitely worth more. That's true of any LHD/RHD cars, JDM stuff, old British stuff, etc. I generally avoid RHD stuff, unless it's something that was only available in RHD so you've got no other options (MGTC for example). That said, this thing is pretty unique around here given that it's a fairly modern example and looks to be in really good shape, so I agree with you that it'd be an easy sell when the time comes.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 10:06:13 pm »
LHD, in Canada, is definitely worth more. That's true of any LHD/RHD cars, JDM stuff, old British stuff, etc. I generally avoid RHD stuff, unless it's something that was only available in RHD so you've got no other options (MGTC for example). That said, this thing is pretty unique around here given that it's a fairly modern example and looks to be in really good shape, so I agree with you that it'd be an easy sell when the time comes.

Not so much. The LHD cars have just about all rusted away. From what I've been seeing, the most valuable Minis are the 1.3L RHDs brought over from Japan or Australia, simply due to condition.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2022, 10:10:49 pm »

Not so much. The LHD cars have just about all rusted away. From what I've been seeing, the most valuable Minis are the 1.3L RHDs brought over from Japan or Australia, simply due to condition.

Condition wasn't the question.....All things being equal, LHD brings more $, in North America at least, vs. RHD.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2022, 10:16:53 pm »

Condition wasn't the question.....All things being equal, LHD brings more $, in North America at least, vs. RHD.

Yeah, that's fair enough, if you can find one. On one hand I wanted a RHD because I've never owned a RHD car and it'd be a neat novelty, but a LHD would have been more convenient for Mrs. Hire to drive around in the summer. Ultimately I couldn't find a single LHD that wasn't a total hotbox, while I found plenty of RHDs in fantastic shape with not a drop of rust to be found.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2022, 10:27:23 pm »

Yeah, that's fair enough, if you can find one. On one hand I wanted a RHD because I've never owned a RHD car and it'd be a neat novelty, but a LHD would have been more convenient for Mrs. Hire to drive around in the summer. Ultimately I couldn't find a single LHD that wasn't a total hotbox, while I found plenty of RHDs in fantastic shape with not a drop of rust to be found.
So is it worth the cost to convert to LHD?

Would you get your money out of the conversion when the time comes to sell..the car now being a mint LHD Mini.

That is the question.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 10:30:19 pm »

So is it worth the cost to convert to LHD?

Would you get your money out of the conversion when the time comes to sell..the car now being a mint LHD Mini.

That is the question.

No, originality > that I think. A car like this is $20-30k CAD right now, and they're basically bottomed out there. Worth enjoying for a bit and breaking even, since they're not exactly going down. Doing a conversion doesn't interest me, in fact there's a novelty in driving it as it is with the wheel on the wrong side.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2022, 08:19:18 am »
Thanks for sharing pictures. The Mini looks great! Is that a Testarossa behind the Mini??

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2022, 08:50:12 am »
I think this would be a great marketing tool for your shop and maybe other businesses.  Do you still have the Jag that you took to track days?  I’d think something like this mini would be great to take to any British car meets and maybe some shorter track days or autocross.  Could be something to enter into local parades too.  Like you said, price isn’t going down, cost to maintain is minimal, doesn’t take up much space, and grabs maximum attention.  Seems like a no brainer.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2022, 09:12:55 am »
Not a big fan of RHD vehicles in a LHD world but assume it's not as much of an issue with a car of this size....? 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2022, 10:07:05 am »
Not a big fan of RHD vehicles in a LHD world but assume it's not as much of an issue with a car of this size....?

It can be a real issue getting insurance in some cases and depending on where you are.
Mr Pickypants

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2022, 10:35:07 am »
Thanks for sharing pictures. The Mini looks great! Is that a Testarossa behind the Mini??

Yes sir. That's an '86 Testa that we're just completing a full engine rebuild on. All original, 18 or 19,000 miles.

I think this would be a great marketing tool for your shop and maybe other businesses.  Do you still have the Jag that you took to track days?  I’d think something like this mini would be great to take to any British car meets and maybe some shorter track days or autocross.  Could be something to enter into local parades too.  Like you said, price isn’t going down, cost to maintain is minimal, doesn’t take up much space, and grabs maximum attention.  Seems like a no brainer.

Yeah, that's sort of where my head is on this. Autocross for sure this year, because one of my colleagues is huge into that and is very willing to take it. Track days I'm not so sure.

No to the Jag - we sold it (somehow made a few bucks) after the timing chain gave out on the track.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2022, 11:20:00 am »

Yes sir. That's an '86 Testa that we're just completing a full engine rebuild on. All original, 18 or 19,000 miles.

Yeah, that's sort of where my head is on this. Autocross for sure this year, because one of my colleagues is huge into that and is very willing to take it. Track days I'm not so sure.

No to the Jag - we sold it (somehow made a few bucks) after the timing chain gave out on the track.
I was thinking if you had the Jag you would use it for bigger tracks and the Mini for smaller, almost go cart style tracks.  I just think having a "classic" British car for advertising is likely a good thing as there aren't many Indy mechanics that specialize in British vehicles.  You are likely already well known for your Italian and German car customers.

Do you still have that Bentley kicking around?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2022, 11:20:18 am »

I was going to ask the same question. Wonder how much that bill will be?

Cool Mini. Keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2022, 02:04:18 pm »

I was thinking if you had the Jag you would use it for bigger tracks and the Mini for smaller, almost go cart style tracks.  I just think having a "classic" British car for advertising is likely a good thing as there aren't many Indy mechanics that specialize in British vehicles.  You are likely already well known for your Italian and German car customers.

Do you still have that Bentley kicking around?

Thanks man; yes, that's not far off from what we're planning.

Yup, ended up getting the Bentley for my dad to enjoy:
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=112917.0

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2022, 02:05:50 pm »

I was going to ask the same question. Wonder how much that bill will be?

I'll post a full gallery once it's done  :) It's a really cool project we're working on. We had some custom wheels made for it by Augment Wheels, a 17" replica of the original Testa wheels because nobody makes the OEM tire size. The rubber on it right now is original from 1986...