Author Topic: Dent's crazy custom project - 1952 Austin A40 Somerset 'Special'  (Read 16082 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Dent's crazy custom project
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 11:15:23 pm »
Amazing, I can't believe how solid that shell is. Can't wait to see what you do with it, particularly engine choice. I feel like an MGB motor or similar just wouldn't be exciting enough; maybe Miata or Toyota power? Or a little GM 2.8L, those seem to wedge into narrow british engine bays pretty well?

Buick V6.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 06:31:46 am »
So did you get it for Great Beater Challenge money?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2022, 07:53:31 am »

Four doors are boring right? It needed to become something more special. I did some mock ups of possible ideas. The body has already mostly been modified but any guesses or preferences?

My preference is for the woody wagon, followed by the pickup. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2022, 08:12:32 am »
This is the very definition 'Dent' project.

Love it.  You're crazy, man. 

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 08:17:46 am »
I would love to hear all the details on how long this project takes and how much it ends up costing. 

So just out of curiosity, what were the options for frame/suspension, engine and transmission?  I'm guessing keeping the original frame would limit the suspension options, and the small engine bay likely limits the number of engines that you could fit in there.

What is the end goal for this car, you said hot rod, and I'm not certain exactly what are the requirements for such a designation.  Is there a minimum amount of power, modification, handling, etc?

Are you going to be keeping the same axles, what about brakes?

So exciting and something a lot of us dream of doing, but of course only a select few of us have the skill, patience, and money to do such a thing.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 09:03:44 am »
Time to start up a YouTube channel for all the world to follow along with?

I say go 2 dr coupe...but that would(?) involve stretching the doors a few inches to keep it proportionally looking right, right?  And then why not a small small block? A hot cammed little 267 ci Chevy (I know I know - why not a bored and stroked 383?  Well, because, you want the V8 sound, but not necessarily 450 hp in something that small).
Maybe an SHO V8, if there's a way to add a trans so it sits facing the right way.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 09:44:23 am »
I love the idea of this... it's really cool! Love seeing old, neglected cars saved.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 10:35:06 am »

So before I bought my used suspension bits it was time to make sure the body work was do-able. Tools included painter's tape, tape measure, Sharpie, angle grinder, reciprocating saw and a my flux core welder.

I planned out the surgery with tape a bunch of times to see how it might flow. I figured the pickup was easiest followed by coupe, van and fastback (there are a few done in the UK that look awesome). I decided on two door coupe first and if that went badly then we could swap over to pickup.  ;D I was considering a roof chop but decided not to in the end.

And its off. The plan was to move this forward.

Feeling pretty committed at this point.

I thought about chopping the roof but decided not too as stock height looked ok. It sorted of morphed from hot rod to period-ish two door.

Doing a trial fit before modifying the doors. The roof section was awkward to move around and place by one's self.

These welding spacers work great.

I was worried about this bit but it went quite smoothly.

The silver bits were from a 90s Honda Civic roof but the rest was re-purposed from the Austin. The ex-roof bit went to the trunk. It does look way better proportioned to my eyes than the sort of chubby and top heavy four door sedan. The look is almost "salesman coupe" I guess.

A good majority of the body work is done. Roof section brought forward, trunk extended with the ex-roof panel. Doors welded shut and new metal into the shut gaps. Thin layer of filler over all of it to smooth out everything.

Axle axle out ready for MG swap. Width looks good.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2022, 10:41:58 am »
I'd love to see a shot of this car next to a modern day compact, just to see the size comparison.  Was this vehicle offered as a coupe from the factory? 

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2022, 10:57:37 am »
The engine bay is super small in these. People have put in V8s but have to remove the firewall. I'd like to avoid that if possible. Stock is 42hp on a good day. I figured 100-150hp would be good. I am sticking with the stock frame. Its

I found a good deal on a Toyota 20R engine from a Celica. It had a header, Weber carb and was attached to a 5spd box. Lots of new bits on it too. Maybe 120hp or so? Its going to be a tight fit regardless.

I don't think I need to cross-member but maybe. The seller was a super nice and swapping in a JDM inline six into his 70s Celica.  8)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:17:56 am by Arthur Dent »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 11:04:35 am »
Brilliant. 

Only change I'd love to see in the engine department would be a swap to a Honda F20C (out of an S2000), but I could understand if those are hard to find.  One of the best 4-cylinders made, IMO.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 11:08:19 am »
Impressive!  :o
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 11:18:25 am »
Ok, let try and answer all the questions.

Any idea what you'll use for an engine? Yes - hopefully a Toyota 20R.

Is there such a thing as happy fixing when it comes to British cars? Only if it stays fixed :)

I feel like an MGB motor or similar just wouldn't be exciting enough; maybe Miata or Toyota power? Or a little GM 2.8L, those seem to wedge into narrow british engine bays pretty well? Buying a rusty donor MG B would have been the smart/easy thing to do. I was planning the 2.8L V6. There is a Devon in town with one. Seems to *just* fit. A Toyota motor came up first for about what just the Weber cost so we're going that way. I like good deals I guess.

So did you get it for Great Beater Challenge money? Car itself was $500. We have since gone past that as the engine cost me $600. The suspension bits could be considered "safety" I guess.

I would love to hear all the details on how long this project takes and how much it ends up costing. Car 500, engine 600, suspension 300, welding wire, filler, grinding disks 100, kijiji brand new hot rod wiring harness 120. I still need to buy lots like seats, seat belts, heater, wipers, new brake pads, bushings, get the driveshaft made. And the MG B steering column. Big cost will be paint and how nice the interior gets. We are about six months in but I did nothing to it all summer long as I enjoyed the good weather instead. I'm not tracking hours as its a hobby and probably depressing.

Is there a minimum amount of power, modification, handling, etc? Probably a hot rod snob would say this is not American enough, not V8 enough. Screw them.  :) We'll can call it a special or custom. I'm not fussed on labels.

Are you going to be keeping the same axles, what about brakes? I have a MG B rear and MG B front clip. They will get freshened up with new parts once mounted. Stock is similar design but parts are expensive and performance is poor. The rear will get gas shocks instead of the lever ones. MG bits will make it handle like a 70s car maybe rather than a 40s car (I know it was built in the 50s but it was dated then).

Time to start up a YouTube channel for all the world to follow along with? I did but never really had a camera person. Plus I don't really know what I am doing. Just doing it and making it up as I go so it takes a while. I do have some videos though and apparently 20 subscribers. I'll post the A40s below but https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJ8x5qUMiPW-lh7OP-xRYQ

I say go 2 dr coupe...but that would(?) involve stretching the doors a few inches to keep it proportionally looking right, right?  And then why not a small small block? A hot cammed little 267 ci Chevy (I know I know - why not a bored and stroked 383?  Well, because, you want the V8 sound, but not necessarily 450 hp in something that small). I think the proportions look ok as a 2dr. Its is a little big bummed I guess. Stretching the doors would be very involved with the front fender swooshing into the doors then moving the door posts. A V8 fits if you hack away the whole firewall.

I'd love to see a shot of this car next to a modern day compact, just to see the size comparison.  Was this vehicle offered as a coupe from the factory? How about a Miata instead of a compact? There is one sitting next to it now. They are about exactly the same length long. The Austin is less wide and taller. It is on jack stands which makes it look a little taller than it is. Photo from 10 seconds ago (somehow ended up on posts above and below but not this one. Weird.). The factory offered a model called a coupe but in British logic it was a convertible. They are quite rare and slightly odd looking. The early A40 Devon offered a 2dr but low production. They also had pickups and vans in the earlier ones.

Honda S2000. I don't think it would fit. Its a four cylinder but a physically large one.

Thanks all for the comments.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:31:08 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 11:19:01 am »
Let's try this again. Size compare. The MX-5 is a few inches forward of the A40 but they are about the same length wise.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:28:05 am by Arthur Dent »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 11:22:39 am »
Videos. Click often. I only need 40,0000 more traffic to be monitized.  :rofl2: Plus talent, decent camera work and good content.

Loading onto trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpt6oWNdvI

Initial walk around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQNHeBGdbkc

Tour of Austin A40 Somerset front suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wJ4KUU9Sc

Cranking over the engine by hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beurKpJ0p10

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:27 am »

Time to start up a YouTube channel for all the world to follow along with? I did but never really had a camera person. Plus I don't really know what I am doing. Just doing it and making it up as I go so it takes a while. I do have some videos though and apparently 20 subscribers. I'll post the A40s below but https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJ8x5qUMiPW-lh7OP-xRYQ

Twenty-one subscribers now. :cheers:

Too bad they demonetized just about everything.  I believe you need 10,000 subscribers now to make money.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 12:07:18 pm »

Twenty-one subscribers now. :cheers:

Twenty-two subscribers now.   ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 12:13:45 pm »
22! Thanks guys. When do I get to quit my job and call myself an influencer?  :rofl2:

Maybe I will do another video this weekend if I can mount the MG axle.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 12:30:39 pm »
23  :hello:

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 12:39:16 pm »
Wow, well I know you were doing this all on a budget first and fit second, so I'm not surprised you went with something smaller than a V8.  I do wonder, if money wasn't any consideration, would you have gone a different way?  I'm trying to think of small engines that pack a punch, mazda rotary engine or maybe a Honda K20 with close to 200hp and a high RPM.  But having a Toyota engine with a carb is pretty cool also.

My whole "hot rod" definition wasn't a dig at you, just I'm not really familiar with what you need to be considered that.  Obviously this will be a restomod/custom for sure, and should be a hoot to drive with 2.5X the power and likely 75% the weight of your Miata. 

Have you decided on what color you'll go with.

Something that always worry about with old cars like this and making them super fast, the safety.  If I ever got an old car and made it into something much faster, I'd want to upgrade the brakes but likely also the seat and a roll cage just to be safe.  But I'm more of a classic cruiser than I am classic sports car guy.  I feel like the old guys nailed the cruiser more than sports car.