Author Topic: Dent's crazy custom project - 1952 Austin A40 Somerset 'Special'  (Read 16089 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
I've always wanted to build a hot rod. But not your stereotypical '32 Ford. Something a little more unique, a little cheaper. A little more me. I like British cars, I like engine swaps. Maybe some semi-radical body work. So why not? We'll keep the budget super low in case it fails.

So I bought this back in 2021. Its an Austin A40 Somerset that has been sitting a long, long time. Maybe up to 60 years off the road. Likely any mechanical bits are toast which is fine as I'd like to modernize it a bit. The car had been for sale online for quite a long time. I'd been watching it but it was a good drive away and a little bit too much money. But out of the blue they lowered their price (moving, I found out later). So I bought it based off a handful of Kijiji photos.

It was a five or so hour drive to go collect it. Have you heard of Dog Pound, Alberta? Me neither but that is where we are going. Fun name though. We used my son's at the time high mileage Chevy pickup and a borrowed trailer (thanks Rod!) to collect it.

We got a bit lost and turned around thanks to Google Maps guessing when it does not know rural addresses. I really wish it would say "I don't know" rather than silently substituting something "close". We ended up about 40kms too far west before the owner got us sorted.

It has a 1.2L four cylinder (pre-B-series) engine with a four speed manual on the column. It received rear hydraulic brakes and a 2hp boost over the A40 Devon.

I think the original colour might have been the light green but the red showing through is primer. Amazingly good primer. A really solid shell so must have spend some time inside.

The seller let us know that the frame was no longer bolted to the body! He had planned to swap it onto a Suzuki Sidekick frame. The larger front suspension had stopped him before getting too far. The not attached to itself problem for loading problem was solved by his front end loader. I did not have one at the other end but that was a few hour from now problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:12:03 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Dent's crazy custom project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:12 pm »
Well, that's something that won't likely see anywhere else.  Any idea what you'll use for an engine?

:popcorn:

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1215
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:51 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: Great find! Looking forward hearing about the progress of the project!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 07:25:33 pm »

As usual I planned to drive home in the day light but ended finishing in the dark. The unloading took hours and was amazingly sketchy. I won't share the details as I can keep pretending it was not a horrible idea. A big thank you again to Rod who I needed to make his trailer to be Austin free. Oh the the wheels were all locked solid too.

Next it was time to assess what I had gotten myself into. How bad was it?

Pretty bad. In almost every respect except the body. It took a really long time just to clear out the field debris in it. No front side window glass probably did not help matters.

As a reward the floors were gobsmackingly solid. Almost like new which was amazing for a car that had likely been off the road for 60+ years.

Cool crank start handle. Too bad the seller had told me the engine was seized. Spoiler alert - it was not and turned over by hand which is silly fun.

This shows what the good lucky fairy can give (its came with keys) the bad luck fairy can take away (the cylinder was irretrievably seized). The instruments were in tough nick and sun fading left them unreadable which meant unknown mileage. Given the condition of the body I suspect it was not on the road long though.

A few neat touches like this period AMA badge on the grill.

I love the "Flying A" on these.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 07:34:01 pm »

Messing around but this is neat enough that I think I will add a grill light when done. If done I guess.

Firestone Safety Champion. These have to be pretty old. 16" super skinny rim.

Not much remained of the Austin's exhaust but it is not exactly big. Penny for size reference.

These don't have lights for turn signals but Semaphore Trafficators that come out between the doors. I'd love to get them going again. We'll see as they are in poor shape.

Overall the driver's side was in a little better shape. Maybe the passenger side faced the wind? Amazingly I got the brakes drums off out back. Parts are super expensive so likely destined for the bin.

Fancy lever shocks front and rear. Bushing is just ... gone.

Mustang rims fit in bolt pattern if not character.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 07:39:02 pm »

While the engine turned over it had been sitting a long time. I bet I could have got it running but again, parts are quite expensive for this pre-B-series engine (similar but not the same to a MG B or Nash Metropolitan engine).

I disassembled the rest of the interior. Including the gauges. The faded faces came off. The mileage indicated on my Austin A40 Somerset is 35557 miles. I suspect this is the true mileage given the condition of the body.

Some nice handy work here on the muffler hanger. Took quite a while to remove.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 07:42:53 pm »

I bought front and rear MG B suspension as it is similar in design. So that will get mashed in to improve performance and parts availability.

I have an engine for it too. Maybe revealed tomorrow?

Four doors are boring right? It needed to become something more special. I did some mock ups of possible ideas. The body has already mostly been modified but any guesses or preferences?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 07:54:47 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 07:56:12 pm »
Like all the chrome out front, sort of early Jaguar

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 08:02:09 pm »
Looking forward to the evolution!  Rock on, Mr. Dent. 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 08:17:00 pm »
What a neat little car Dent. I enjoyed all the pictures, was a welcome break from all the negative banter in here lately.

Can’t wait to see this up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 08:27:44 pm »
Excellent! And nice to see some car content!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:34:32 pm »
Please don't change. Ever.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 08:56:11 pm »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 08:58:21 pm »
Amazingly rust free to the extent it is.  Weird that the floor is so solid for a British car of that era.  Happy fixing. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 09:29:00 pm »
Is there such a thing as happy fixing when it comes to British cars?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 09:30:12 pm »

Depends how drunk/high you are.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Dent's crazy custom project
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 10:16:08 pm »
Once….that was enough for me, no more British cars for me. Guys like Firm and Dent have a special kind of patience and talent to work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 10:18:10 pm »
Guys like Firm and Dent have a special kind of patience and talent to work on them.

I agree.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:34 pm »
Amazing, I can't believe how solid that shell is. Can't wait to see what you do with it, particularly engine choice. I feel like an MGB motor or similar just wouldn't be exciting enough; maybe Miata or Toyota power? Or a little GM 2.8L, those seem to wedge into narrow british engine bays pretty well?