Author Topic: MK8 Madness - 2022 Golf R  (Read 8367 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: MK8 Madness - 2022 Golf R
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 12:45:24 pm »
Well if TPL can get one at 75...WTF! I'm not 75 yet!  ;D

A great description of a remarkable car.

At my skill level, I could never use all this car's capabilities.  But, it would be fun to try.

Stick or auto?  Which one would Bubba get?  Maybe there's a yuge discount on Patrick's for a forum member when he's done.  ;)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 01:26:28 pm »

At my skill level, I could never use all this car's capabilities.  But, it would be fun to try.

Stick or auto?  Which one would Bubba get?  Maybe there's a yuge discount on Patrick's for a forum member when he's done.  ;)

Not in this market - we can probably get above MSRP for a used one.  :o
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2021, 02:17:53 pm »
C&D flogged the Golf for being inconsistent and the electronics are crap:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a38211950/2021-honda-civic-type-r-vs-2022-vw-golf-r-compared/

Anyway, the Civic wins. Wait, what? The Golf has a major flaw, and it sits front and center in the dash. The new infotainment interface looks cool, a glassy screen with an animated car and clickity haptic feedback. But using it is like trying to bake in a stranger's kitchen. Where is everything? Why won't this drawer open? It's pointlessly complex and frustrating in a car that's all about the simple pleasures of driving. Also, for as good as the dual-clutch automatic is at picking and shifting gears, clicking the tiny nub of an automatic shifter is physically unsatisfying, especially when put up against the Civic's perfectly weighted clutch and easy-throw manual. Satisfaction across the driving experience is where the Honda has the edge on the Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 02:22:08 pm »

I can't afford the wheels, never mind the entire car.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 02:32:42 pm »
BWII   I think I'll be well over 76 by the time it arrives.    I'll probably only keep it until the ID4  AWD  is easily available...having gone to the trouble of havingmy garage fitted out for charging.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 07:00:51 pm »
BWII   I think I'll be well over 76 by the time it arrives.    I'll probably only keep it until the ID4  AWD  is easily available...having gone to the trouble of havingmy garage fitted out for charging.

Well, there's apparently a whole bunch of people who are going to be living vicariously through you and your musings about the R, after you get it. I'm interested in if " incredibly plush ride " as Patrick says is how you feel about 35 aspect summer performance (or any other kind of thin sidewall) tires. I'm a convert of the value of VW's DDC and wouldn't live without it, but I have 45 aspect ratio non-band aid tires and have to be convinced of magic tech.  :rofl:

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2021, 02:12:46 pm »

Well, there's apparently a whole bunch of people who are going to be living vicariously through you and your musings about the R, after you get it. I'm interested in if " incredibly plush ride " as Patrick says is how you feel about 35 aspect summer performance (or any other kind of thin sidewall) tires. I'm a convert of the value of VW's DDC and wouldn't live without it, but I have 45 aspect ratio non-band aid tires and have to be convinced of magic tech.  :rofl:

The ride with the 225/40-18 all season tires on the GTI with DCC is more compliant than either the 55/60 (all season/winter) aspect tires on the Jetta or the 65/70 (all season/winter) aspect tires on my Yukon XL, so it won't be too much of a leap from 40 aspect to 35 aspect to degrade the ride so who knows......

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2021, 03:32:53 pm »

The ride with the 225/40-18 all season tires on the GTI with DCC is more compliant than either the 55/60 (all season/winter) aspect tires on the Jetta or the 65/70 (all season/winter) aspect tires on my Yukon XL, so it won't be too much of a leap from 40 aspect to 35 aspect to degrade the ride so who knows......

Interesting indeed. And I note Patrick said " now with the option to set the dampers two clicks past the default Comfort and Sport settings ". Maybe that's why, despite the 35 aspect tires.

If I'm not mistaken, your Jetta doesn't have DCC like mine? In the GLI I mostly use Custom settings - sport settings for everything (but turn down the piped in engine sound), except suspension which is set on comfort, and that does make a big difference vs. sport. Other times, I just hit the sport option, not custom. It remembers my custom settings, making it easy to switch. With the lesser power GLI, I find a smoother throttle tip in isn't necessary, whereas Patrick finds the R is better with it. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 04:26:03 pm »
I was offered MSRP.  No deals in my area.

Not surprising. Imagine it will be like this for 6 months just like when the R first came to Canada. Supply and demand.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 04:28:42 pm »

Not surprising. Imagine it will be like this for 6 months just like when the R first came to Canada. Supply and demand.
Back when I bought my Golf R, second one in Fredericton, I got MSRP minus $1k.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:47 pm »

But only two people wanted them in Fredericton and they had three to sell.  :P

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 05:57:20 pm »

But only two people wanted them in Fredericton and they had three to sell.  :P
Ha, I think their first dozen that year were presold, which I think was the first 6 months the of allocation.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 06:24:43 pm »

If my dealer attempts to either charge over MSRP or do a dirty on the trade in   I will just drive away and buy a Tesla.  We don't have a sale contract and won't until the VIN arrives

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 06:29:21 pm »
BWII   I think I'll be well over 76 by the time it arrives.    I'll probably only keep it until the ID4  AWD  is easily available...having gone to the trouble of having my garage fitted out for charging.

I had 225/40 on my GTI   and it was fine.   The problem is that Guelph has a lot of high and misshapen curbs.   So this is not good for these skinny tires.
Both the Q5 and the Volvo have 60 sidewalls

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 07:32:16 pm »
Even my Rolla came with 40 series tires. 225/40/18 to be exact. FTR I think it was stupid and would have been happy with a nice 17 inch tire instead. Running 205/55/16  for the winter.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 10:30:03 pm »

Interesting indeed. And I note Patrick said " now with the option to set the dampers two clicks past the default Comfort and Sport settings ". Maybe that's why, despite the 35 aspect tires.

If I'm not mistaken, your Jetta doesn't have DCC like mine?
Correct, It's the mid grade Highline trim. Regardless no Jetta other than the GLI has DCC.

In the GLI I mostly use Custom settings - sport settings for everything (but turn down the piped in engine sound), except suspension which is set on comfort, and that does make a big difference vs. sport. Other times, I just hit the sport option, not custom. It remembers my custom settings, making it easy to switch.
I have set up my Custom exactly the same way as you have but drive mostly in the default Comfort mode only hitting the Custom mode when I want to zip past somebody dawdling in the fast lane!!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 12:40:49 pm »

Should probably clarify that "plush ride" here is relative; it's stiff compared to the Arteon I just got out of (which was a cloud), but remarkably well-damped for a sports car the size of a shoe with a fairly short wheelbase.

Despite the suspension being able to go past the Comfort and Sport settings, I've found Comfort to be perfectly-suited to daily driving duty. It rides just as well as any GTI or GLI I've driven, absorbing large impacts without jostling the occupants and doing a reasonably good job of filtering out the high-frequency stuff.