Author Topic: MK8 Madness - 2022 Golf R  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
MK8 Madness - 2022 Golf R
« on: November 25, 2021, 09:34:10 pm »
When I set my sights on joining Volkswagen as the head of Product Planning about two-and-a-half years ago, I spent a lot of time on the configurator staring at the GTI and Golf R. While I appreciate the full portfolio, as an enthusiast, these two were near and dear to my heart. I eventually had the pleasure of "owning" two 2019 Golf Rs. Show n' Shine here: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=104724.msg1454409#msg1454409.

There's a reason the Mk7 Golf is regarded as one of the best cars of its era. Between my Rs, a bunch of seat time in GTIs, and my wife's Sportwagens, I got to know the model pretty well. On the performance end, I had a simple conclusion: if I could only own one car, given where I live, the Golf R would be it. But toss me both sets of keys on a sunny day, and I'd take the GTI every single time. The Mk7 Golf R was ruthlessly competent in every regard, but almost at the expense of joy. Unless the road was slippery, it never felt like it wanted to play. Still, big shoes to fill.

Enter the all-new Mk8 Golf R. More specifically, mine: Lapiz Blue. Manual gearbox. Sunroof. This being a Canadian car, it comes fully loaded. This latest generation finally brings a lot of the cool EU goodies, including the full Performance Package. All it's really missing is the cool animated signals and EU tail lights (victims of NA regulations), and the optional Akropovic exhaust (working on it!). It also has something the EU car doesn't: an optional manual gearbox, which is naturally what I chose despite the DSG being objectively superior in every way.

There's been a lot of... "noise" on the internet since this car launched in Europe. You've all read the reviews, so I won't rehash it. Having now put ~1,100 km on the car, some of it is justified, but a lot of it is just that... noise.

I'll be the first to admit the all-digital interior is the answer to a question few asked, but lived with as an owner and not a journalist flogging it on twisty roads for a few hours, I've grown quite accustomed to it. Pleased to report the latest software is also much snappier. Inside, the steering wheel is fantastic, the seats (now Nappa leather) are sublime, and the new HUD is great. Materials are basically the same, the design is just simpler/cleaner. I even like the haptic steering wheel after living with it for a year in my Arteon. Fight me.

As for the styling? You need to see this car in person. Just something about the proportions; even the very best photos don't translate how it looks in the sheet metal.

But speaking of noise, let's move on to the good stuff. The old car? Basically silent aside from the Soundaktor vibrating the windshield to create some simulated noise. The new car? Let me paint a picture:

You get in the car, and it starts with a little bark from the exhaust. "Whoa, that's different," you think. Once the idle settles down to 750 rpm, you hold the new "R" button on the steering wheel and the car jumps into Race mode. You hear the valves open in the exhaust, giving the idle a tone that's more menacing still. Cool. Now, you select the new "Special" drive mode denoted by an outline of the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife. Suddenly, the idle jumps up by 500 rpm, and now the car is really angry-sounding. At the same time, all the (incredible) ambient lights in the cabin turn green. "Green? Isn't that usually Eco mode?" you think, before you remember the Nordschleife's nickname... The Green Hell.

This is just a hint of what the new car brings to the table, and for me what ultimately vaults it clear ahead of its forebears: the Golf R now has a sense of occasion. A sense of humour.

The 315 horsepower comes on strong, and just as it did in the old car, pulls without pause all the way to redline - in turn denoted by flashing shift lights from the new digital cockpit. The Nurburgring mode is perfect for Canadian back roads, because it sets the dampers to Comfort while putting everything else in full kill. Lift after a part-throttle pull? The car pops and bangs on the overrun. Not synthetic, though - it only does it when it's been running rich. Downshift after a hard run and you'll sometimes get a big backfire. The new torque vectoring rear differential is an absolute game changer, allowing the car to rotate on the throttle for the first time ever. And the DSG model? Launch control is absurd. Who ever pictured we'd have hot hatches running mid-12 sec 1/4 miles with trap speeds >110 mph and 0-60 sprints in the 4.0 sec range. I won't even talk about the Drift Mode party trick.

But despite this newfound mad streak, the Golf R is the same as it ever was. Set it to Comfort mode and the throttle response calms down, the exhaust shuts up, and it maintains an incredibly plush ride. Now it's just a regular Golf... albeit one that can still plant you in the seat mid-gear.

You can also configure custom settings as before, now with the option to set the dampers two clicks past the default Comfort and Sport settings. There's also a "Pure" exhaust setting that allows you to tune out any fake engine noise while keeping the valves open. My preferred setting is Comfort dampers, Sport steering (middle setting), throttle response in Comfort (smoother tip-in), and exhaust in Pure (it still pops and bangs).

Anyway, enough rambling. Suffice to say I'm in love. No, it's not perfect, but for me the advantages of the new car far outweigh any areas where it's perhaps not as strong as before. I'm clearly not the only one who think so... our order book is huge. I wish I'd had a bit more time on the Bridgestone Potenza S005 summer shoes, but as of this week, the car is now ready to battle winter on a brand new set of Pirelli Sottozero Serie 3.

For the pictures, I'm going to cheat a bit. This specific car isn't mine, but rather its twin. These were taken by the incredible Lucas Scarfone at our press drive a few weeks back, so they're infinitely better than I could take.

OK, fine, a few of my awful pictures...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:44:23 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: MK8 Madness - 2022 Golf R
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 10:03:38 pm »
Great update Patrick. Loving the blue colour as it really pops especially under the autumn foliage.  I imagine it will be very hard to get one of these for the first 6 months.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 11:24:45 pm »
that blue is incredible.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 05:45:44 am »
Absolutely fantastic car Patrick - and great write-up!

The pics look totally pro - are they yours?  If so mad camera skillz as well.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 05:48:04 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 08:02:56 am »
,-spam-

Kidding. Sounds like a solid step up from the mk7.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:49:00 am »
Having owned a 2016 Golf R for 5 years and now a GLI for the past year and a half I know these vehicles very well.  I miss my Golf R, not because of the extra power but the traction it had off the line.  I did however find that I craved more power but was unwilling to void my warranty and get an APR tune.  Looks like they added some more power to this new Golf R, but it seems the one to get is the DSG, which is a shame because we all love the manuals.  Now it's awesome that NA VW lobbied for the manual, and I shouldn't complain, but limiting the torque makes me think they just put the same manual in from the previous generation and that one was getting towards the top of it's power limit.  In fact the old one limited the torque even more in first and maybe second gear.  This is why the DSG is sooooo much faster.  The thing is though, you put a different clutch pack in and it handles the power without issue, so why not spend a couple of bucks and give it the same power and don't limit the power in the first couple of gears.

It has a lot more tech than my old base model Golf R, some of the things are of the cool variety (like the R projected from the puddle lights, and the HUD).  It's great to hear that the sound has improved.  I wonder if you can do a resonator delete like the old MK7 which was a cheap way for more sound, I think it was an Audi part mod from the S3.

The thing is, the Audi version (S3) has a much better interior due to not having all these haptic and touch sensitive buttons, so if you are going with a DSG I'd likely point you to Audi to get the nicer interior. 

There is no denying this is by far the best vehicle that VW makes right now, better value I'd say than the GTI, and maybe the best value hot hatch on the market right now.  I'm tempted to get the new one in a couple of years but I really need to get onto something else and not repeat cars.  I desire a RWD vehicle and VW doesn't make anything with that set up so I'll be going elsewhere.  Which is a shame because I do like my VW's and the local dealer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:07:36 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 08:52:46 am »
Congrats Patrick! That's a sharp looking ride  :thumbup:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 09:07:46 am »
Now it's awesome that NA VW lobbied for the manual, and I shouldn't complain, but limiting the torque makes me think they just put the same manual in from the previous generation and that one was getting towards the top of it's power limit.  In fact the old one limited the torque even more in first and maybe second gear.  This is why the DSG is sooooo much faster. 

...that's exactly what happened. It would not have made any financial sense to re-engineer the gearbox and clutch for a single market, unfortunately. For people like me the slight loss in torque is a worthwhile trade-off. Out on the road, my butt dyno has a hard time telling the difference between the two cars in terms of in-gear acceleration.

The Launch Control is a different story, as you noted. It's not just the torque, or the seamless shifts... it's the fact that the thing dumps the clutch at 4,000 rpm. In 10C ambient temps, the thing laid 15 feet of rubber from all four wheels off the line. It's a monster.

The thing is, the Audi version (S3) has a much better interior due to not having all these haptic and touch sensitive buttons, so if you are going with a DSG I'd likely point you to Audi to get the nicer interior. 

The S3 interior is definitely nicer, but the decision is not so simple in my view. A comparably-equipped S3 is $15,000 more, slower in a straight line, and lacks the magic torque vectoring differential. With that fact pattern, I don't care how much nicer the interior is.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 09:23:26 am »
very sharp car, love the blue its similar to Navarra Blue on my Q and I get lots of comments on it in that colour

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
The S3 interior is definitely nicer, but the decision is not so simple in my view. A comparably-equipped S3 is $15,000 more, slower in a straight line, and lacks the magic torque vectoring differential. With that fact pattern, I don't care how much nicer the interior is.
makes sense...i faced a slightly similar dilemma when i got my Venza...i really wanted to wait and see the new NX350h, but since i like my goodies, i'd want the Executive package so it's loaded and that too is about $15k more than my Limited trim Venza...as much as i know i'd love the Lexus, i just can't spend that much on a new car...it's the same powertrain, and it's still Toyota, so i figured it wasn't too much of a "downgrade" anyway.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 09:33:07 am »
Great write up Patrick, thanks for sharing your review of the car... and it looks fantastic!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 10:01:57 am »
Agree, very cool  :skid: . Nice to see a company really pour their enthusiasm into a vehicle, car sounds like a hoot. 'Green Hell' lighting  :D

Like the yellow/gold colour myself

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 10:32:33 am »

...that's exactly what happened. It would not have made any financial sense to re-engineer the gearbox and clutch for a single market, unfortunately. For people like me the slight loss in torque is a worthwhile trade-off. Out on the road, my butt dyno has a hard time telling the difference between the two cars in terms of in-gear acceleration.

The Launch Control is a different story, as you noted. It's not just the torque, or the seamless shifts... it's the fact that the thing dumps the clutch at 4,000 rpm. In 10C ambient temps, the thing laid 15 feet of rubber from all four wheels off the line. It's a monster.

I agree. Unless you plan on doing drag strip runs or don't know how to drive a manual it does not make sense to get the DSG. Most acceleration events are in-gear from say 30kmph to 80 kmph or 80 kmph to 120 kmph and in these instances the difference is negligible if at all.

I don't know what there is to it but for example in slippery and snowy conditions having one hand on the wheel and the other on a manual gear shifter gives me a greater sense of control than having both hands on the wheel with an automatic or for that matter both hands on the wheel even with a  DSG. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 04:07:50 pm »
I won't even talk about the Drift Mode party trick.

Well that's a dickmove!  >:( :stick:  ;D

I really want to drive one of these.  I'm glad we've got you here to ruin our day every now and then...I really appreciate it.  Thanks!  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 04:57:01 pm »
Patrick.  The tail lights and the regulations.    I'm guessing that this is USA regulations as IIRC Canada accepts the EU tail lights.
So are they all red or are the flashers amber?      I presume that with Canada's newish regulations that they are on all the time now with the DRLs?

I put in my order for an R in August at my dealer. I have no idea where I am on the list as I haven't heard a word...but they do have a GTI available to test drive this week so there is hops a few boatloads of the R will dock at Halifax sometime...
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 05:26:35 pm »
Forgot you had one on order. You rock man

Look forward to hear your impressions when you finally get it

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 06:07:57 pm »
I presume that with Canada's newish regulations that they are on all the time now with the DRLs?

Sadly with the newish regulations manufacturers can still get around having all lights on.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 07:11:12 pm »
Patrick.  The tail lights and the regulations.    I'm guessing that this is USA regulations as IIRC Canada accepts the EU tail lights.
So are they all red or are the flashers amber?      I presume that with Canada's newish regulations that they are on all the time now with the DRLs?

I put in my order for an R in August at my dealer. I have no idea where I am on the list as I haven't heard a word...but they do have a GTI available to test drive this week so there is hops a few boatloads of the R will dock at Halifax sometime...

Issue with the tails has nothing to do with DRLs, but rather the animated signals from the EU. There's a portion of FMVSS/CMVSS that dictates how much of the turn signal must be visible at any given time. Because the EU VW ones begin with a tiny point and extend out, the "initial" activation of the signal is deemed insufficient. Audi gets around this by having a big chunk of the brake light illuminate immediately, but thus far, the VW side has not opted to re-engineer light modules for North America. Thus, we take the base brake lights. The good news is that this generation now has amber LED flashers in the back.

Re: your order, call the dealer and ask them for a Commission # for the car. Shoot me a PM with it and I can see where it's sequenced for build.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 01:04:19 am »
A great description of a remarkable car.

At my skill level, I could never use all this car's capabilities.  But, it would be fun to try.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2021, 06:01:19 am »

Issue with the tails has nothing to do with DRLs, but rather the animated signals from the EU. There's a portion of FMVSS/CMVSS that dictates how much of the turn signal must be visible at any given time. Because the EU VW ones begin with a tiny point and extend out, the "initial" activation of the signal is deemed insufficient. Audi gets around this by having a big chunk of the brake light illuminate immediately, but thus far, the VW side has not opted to re-engineer light modules for North America. Thus, we take the base brake lights. The good news is that this generation now has amber LED flashers in the back.

Re: your order, call the dealer and ask them for a Commission # for the car. Shoot me a PM with it and I can see where it's sequenced for build.

THanks Patrick.  So we get amber flashers great!   I never understood why so many German cars had red flashers.  You did not confirm but I guess the tails are on with the DRLs on all 2022s.
I'll be at the dealer test driving a GTI so I'll ask about the commission number... assuming that the order is real not just a note in the dealrships computer.