Author Topic: Toyota GR Corolla Tease  (Read 32406 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Toyota GR Corolla Tease
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2022, 07:47:48 am »
It's crazy they are mass producing this car, by themselves, after all the excuses we've heard about the Supra.  ;)

Not really.

I'm not talking about Toyota's technical capability or expertise. It's that they said it was too expensive to develop the Supra in house for a sports car that would be sold in relatively small numbers. How is this GR different?

Well for starters, the GR Yaris has already sold more than the GR Supra has.  Let that sink in for a moment.  :o  And the GR Corolla will too.

One of the desires of Akio was that whatever new sportscar they made he wanted it to be accessible to as many people as possible.  If Toyota had developed the Supra 100% in-house, from scratch, they would have had to sell it for $100k to be profitable (that number is Toyota's figure, not mine)...and that was a small profit.    They had no platform and no engine.  Apparently, the engine was the bigger deal of the two.  They would have had to build a new plant for it, as the last I6 plant was closed and repurposed.  Had they decided to build that plant, it would be just coming online this year had everything gone to plan.  It would have been more "doable" if that engine were to go into every high production model under the sun (like Stellantis' new I-6).  But that would have been a complete "reworking" of Toyota's model lineup as some of their important new models (Tundra) already had the engine choice selected.

I mean..I know we rag on Toyota for this...but it's nice to see Toyota still committed to interesting enthusiast cars.  GR Yaris GR Supra, GR 86 and GR Corolla.  A pretty decent lineup of enthusiast cars. I think they're doing alright for the enthusiast.

Agreed.
It's crazy that they pretty much went 15 years with nothing but boring appliance vehicles and then over the past 8/9 years they have slowly become the performance Japanese brand.  You look around and Nissan will only have one performance car, same for Honda, and Mazda only the Miata.  Subaru has two, but the WRX isn't exactly top notch.

Big time applause for Toyota.  They are doing this hot hatch right and I'm thinking it will 100% be as collectible, if not more than, the Civic Type R.  Mechanical limited slip diffs at both ends, being able to send more power to the rear than the competitors (and not calling it "drift mode" like a child), a special engine (not some hopped up engine from an Accord), carbon roof, huge brakes, proper tires, man this thing is excellent.  That being said, how much will it be?  I don't think it should be more than the Golf R or the next generation Civic Type R, but even if it's a little above those I still think it's desirable.

Well done Toyota, well done.  I know Ron was worried that they might mess this up, but it looks to me about as good as the GR Yaris, and that car is special. 

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2022, 08:46:15 am »
It's crazy they are mass producing this car, by themselves, after all the excuses we've heard about the Supra.  ;)

Not really.

I'm not talking about Toyota's technical capability or expertise. It's that they said it was too expensive to develop the Supra in house for a sports car that would be sold in relatively small numbers. How is this GR different?

Well for starters, the GR Yaris has already sold more than the GR Supra has.  Let that sink in for a moment.  :o  And the GR Corolla will too.

One of the desires of Akio was that whatever new sportscar they made he wanted it to be accessible to as many people as possible.  If Toyota had developed the Supra 100% in-house, from scratch, they would have had to sell it for $100k to be profitable (that number is Toyota's figure, not mine)...and that was a small profit.    They had no platform and no engine.  Apparently, the engine was the bigger deal of the two.  They would have had to build a new plant for it, as the last I6 plant was closed and repurposed.  Had they decided to build that plant, it would be just coming online this year had everything gone to plan.  It would have been more "doable" if that engine were to go into every high production model under the sun (like Stellantis' new I-6).  But that would have been a complete "reworking" of Toyota's model lineup as some of their important new models (Tundra) already had the engine choice selected.

I mean..I know we rag on Toyota for this...but it's nice to see Toyota still committed to interesting enthusiast cars.  GR Yaris GR Supra, GR 86 and GR Corolla.  A pretty decent lineup of enthusiast cars.  I think they're doing alright for the enthusiast.

They could have used the LC500 platform and decontented it to get the price lower, after all that's what worked with the original Lexus SC.

The only thing missing would have been the I6, but I doubt may would have complained of a sweet NA v8 in it's place .... at least compared to the amount of complaints saying that having BMW develop it is a copout.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2022, 09:26:53 am »
It's crazy that they pretty much went 15 years with nothing but boring appliance vehicles and then over the past 8/9 years they have slowly become the performance Japanese brand.  You look around and Nissan will only have one performance car, same for Honda, and Mazda only the Miata.  Subaru has two, but the WRX isn't exactly top notch.

Akio Toyoda is not your average CEO:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36818/this-video-shows-how-toyotas-ceo-drove-every-mule-of-the-gr-yaris

https://www.motor1.com/news/553983/akio-toyoda-gr-yaris-drift/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2022, 10:14:27 am »

Not really.

I mean..I know we rag on Toyota for this...but it's nice to see Toyota still committed to interesting enthusiast cars.  GR Yaris GR Supra, GR 86 and GR Corolla.  A pretty decent lineup of enthusiast cars.  I think they're doing alright for the enthusiast.

They could have used the LC500 platform and decontented it to get the price lower, after all that's what worked with the original Lexus SC.

The only thing missing would have been the I6, but I doubt may would have complained of a sweet NA v8 in it's place .... at least compared to the amount of complaints saying that having BMW develop it is a copout.
With the cost of the Lexus V8, plus I'm sure that platform isn't cheap either.  Also that platform is designed more for a GT car and the Supra has historically been more of a sports car.  The only think I could think of is if Toyota used the GT86 platform and stuck one of their V6's in there, maybe a supercharged one that is used in the Lotus models.

That being said, sharing the cost with BMW makes a lot of financial sense.  The issue I see is that it turned out soooo much more BMW than Toyota Supra, which is fine if you like BMW's but if you are a past Supra fan, it doesn't exactly hit the mark.  At least that's my opinion.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2022, 10:46:27 am »
https://vimeo.com/event/1928953

Video of the unveiling

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2022, 11:24:43 am »
Friend of mine has a '17 WRX that he almost traded in on a BRZ recently. He said he's gonna get a GR Circuit Edition.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2022, 11:33:24 am »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2022, 11:39:30 am »
Why wouldn’t it be happy? Under the hood it’s got a souped-up version of the turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder from the Yaris GR. In the Yaris, the engine makes 257 hp. In the Corolla, the G16E-GTS will make an astounding 300 hp and 273 pound-feet of torque. That’s 100 horses per cylinder.

The Corolla also has Toyota’s first sporty all-wheel-drive system in decades. Dubbed GR-Four—and embossed on the door sills in a nice little historical throwback to the GT-Four rally cars of the ‘80s—the system is designed for multiple terrains and quick adjustability. The standard setting is a 60:40 front to rear torque distribution, but it can go as rear-wheel biased as 30:70, or put in an even 50:50. However you split it, power feeds to open differentials as standard with an option for front and rear Torsen limited-slip differentials as part of the Performance package on the Core (the Torsen diffs are standard on the Circuit Edition).

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39596743/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-revealed/

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2022, 12:02:57 pm »
This thing looks incredible, I'm really impressed. Keen to see how they price it. Lots of bespoke (pricey?) bits... flared fenders (even Golf R has no unique sheet metal, only plastic bits), 4-pot brakes, front and rear LSDs, unique low-volume AWD + engine, carbon roof, etc.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2022, 12:44:52 pm »
Until this morning I didn't need a 300 hp Corolla.  Now, I do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2022, 12:51:20 pm »
How do the Torsen LSD's compare to open?

Get the power down better on dry pavement, but worse on snow/ice?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2022, 12:57:30 pm »
Man... Kudos to Toyota! I like few other Toyota/Lexus cars but none enough to actually consider buying at this time or outside of my price range.
However, this one is the one I want and would actually want to buy.
Already running timelines, budget, logistics.... Trouble is I don't want to get rid of any other car and no more parking space.  :think:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 01:01:20 pm by Dante »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2022, 12:57:54 pm »

Ha, wouldn't that be a hoot.  I bet you'd get a little more attention at the drag strips.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2022, 01:01:11 pm »

I might be wrong, but the difference in my mind is open diffs you'll see one wheel spinning away, where as LSD's will split that power to both wheels, most of the time evenly.  The way I think of it is if you see a burn out with one tire on the road, that's an open diff, when you see two sets of tires rubber on the road, that's because they have a LSD.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2022, 09:46:50 pm »

Ha ha...awesome!

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2022, 09:48:44 pm »

The Torsen LSD permits a variable torque split between the wheels.  It is actually likely better on snow / ice / gravel / your neighbors lawn.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2022, 07:44:50 am »
And doing 4 wheel drifts in the snow.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2022, 09:12:15 am »
And doing 4 wheel drifts in the snow.

Drifts on drifts!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2022, 09:26:13 am »

I might be wrong, but the difference in my mind is open diffs you'll see one wheel spinning away, where as LSD's will split that power to both wheels, most of the time evenly.  The way I think of it is if you see a burn out with one tire on the road, that's an open diff, when you see two sets of tires rubber on the road, that's because they have a LSD.

I've had Torsen LSDs in  a few vehicles, presently one in the rear end of my Miata.   They work great with no plates to wear out.
I drove a non LSD Miata at an autocross once, was always trying not to fry the inside tire on tight turns, LSD would have solved that.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2022, 09:34:20 am »
This thing looks incredible, I'm really impressed. Keen to see how they price it. Lots of bespoke (pricey?) bits... flared fenders (even Golf R has no unique sheet metal, only plastic bits), 4-pot brakes, front and rear LSDs, unique low-volume AWD + engine, carbon roof, etc.

Agreed on both points.  I figure I'd have zero problems convincing my wife to part with her Fit for one of these.... except maybe price.  That could be an eye-popper.  :o

Alex on Autos runs through the specs here for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5_XgU901k
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.