Author Topic: BMW X5 update  (Read 5662 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
BMW X5 update
« on: November 19, 2021, 06:02:12 am »
The X5 turns 5 years old today. I actually bought it in July 2017 but it was a program car with 7 months and 15K on the clock. It has just over 76,500 on the odometer now and (at the risk of jinxing myself) the ownership experience has been very positive. I've had two trips to the dealer for warranty, one for a repair to the soft close doors and the other some suspension work. Far, far fewer issues than the 2011 ML 350 Bluetec it replaced!

I have continued to enjoy the car. While it is arguably a little big for my needs I still very much like the way it looks and drives. I have one more year of factory warranty so I will have a decision to make next fall. I am driving significantly less than i was when I had the ML (It was over 120,000 at this age) so I might decide to go a little longer......time will tell  :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: BMW X5 update
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:51 am »
It's always nice when you like a vehicle and it's trouble free, can't always say that about an FGC  :)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 06:35:50 am »
Our family seems to have developed a "thing" for white BMW's. My sister was visiting from the US in October and we were all at my eldest daughter's house. We had 3 BMW's lined up in the driveway (X3, X5 and X7).....all white!  ;D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:44:42 am »
Glad the X5 has been mostly trouble-free, it's a great vehicle for our climate/roads.

BTW, everyone's favourite sales person is retiring in the next couple of weeks! 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 07:48:46 am »
Glad the X5 has been mostly trouble-free, it's a great vehicle for our climate/roads.

BTW, everyone's favourite sales person is retiring in the next couple of weeks!

Yes, I got an email from him to that effect. He and my daughter are friends on social media. When she was buying her X3's last spring they seem to spend most of the time exchanging Golden Retriever photos and stories.  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 08:05:27 am »
Sounds like you have had a great experience.  I remember back when you got this, first the X3 and then quickly switched to this X5. 

Here's the question I always have for someone who has had a good experience with their current vehicle, let's say you got in an accident and wrote it off, what vehicles would you consider to replace it with?

How is the 3 series doing?  You've had that for a while, not that it gets a lot of miles but still age can bring up issues.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 08:18:40 am »
Sounds like you have had a great experience.  I remember back when you got this, first the X3 and then quickly switched to this X5. 

Here's the question I always have for someone who has had a good experience with their current vehicle, let's say you got in an accident and wrote it off, what vehicles would you consider to replace it with?

How is the 3 series doing?  You've had that for a while, not that it gets a lot of miles but still age can bring up issues.

Yes, if I decide the next car is going to be in that price range I think another X5 would be the odds on favourite. Not sure I will though. Prices are really climbing and a nicely equipped X5 seems to be well into the 80's.

The 328 is doing well (knocks wood and crosses fingers). It turned 10 in September.....still under 65,000 on it and still no issues. I keep thinking we should get rid of it (my wife has pretty much stopped driving due to health issues) but I really like that naturally aspirated straight six!  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 08:36:26 am »
Nice update & happy to hear it's trouble free! :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 08:56:50 am »

Yes, if I decide the next car is going to be in that price range I think another X5 would be the odds on favourite. Not sure I will though. Prices are really climbing and a nicely equipped X5 seems to be well into the 80's.

The 328 is doing well (knocks wood and crosses fingers). It turned 10 in September.....still under 65,000 on it and still no issues. I keep thinking we should get rid of it (my wife has pretty much stopped driving due to health issues) but I really like that naturally aspirated straight six!  ;D

If you have ANY thought of getting rid of the 328, please reach out to me.  A colleague of mine bought a 1997 318i a few years ago and subsequently put 60,000km on it...now he's keeping his eye open for an E90 3-Series with low mileage to bomb around town in when he doesn't need his truck.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 09:21:01 am »

Have to say, with the experience you have had and the fact that the top vehicle you'd be replacing it with being another X5 that speaks volumes on how good it has been for you.  How would you compare the dealership experience with the Mercedes?  I know you always had good dealings with the Mercedes but wondering if the BMW dealer lived up to that standard.

Would you ever consider an electric vehicle, or do you take too many long distance drives?  I know a while ago you had a Caddy SUV, their new LYRIQ looks like a pretty neat CUV and certainly priced well.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 10:14:53 am »

Have to say, with the experience you have had and the fact that the top vehicle you'd be replacing it with being another X5 that speaks volumes on how good it has been for you.  How would you compare the dealership experience with the Mercedes?  I know you always had good dealings with the Mercedes but wondering if the BMW dealer lived up to that standard.

Would you ever consider an electric vehicle, or do you take too many long distance drives?  I know a while ago you had a Caddy SUV, their new LYRIQ looks like a pretty neat CUV and certainly priced well.

Mercedes service experience was first rate. BMW sales is top notch but I find service dept just OK.
They always seem to be trying to sell you something and can be a bit sloppy

Once I was about 40 minutes into the 90 minute drive to Moncton to pick up my car when they texted me to say it wouldn't be ready until late in the day (was to supposed to be done the night before)

Wanted to do a front brake job for $1200 about 12,000 kms before it was really needed due to "brake pulsation". I've driven a lot of cars and if you really, really focused you might have felt the tiniest bit, but nothing that I would have ever complained about. As it was I got the brakes done about a year later at my local Euro shop for about $650 using OEM parts not Chinese stuff.

Another time they wanted to charge $200 for a diff fluid change that was being tried on the advice of BMW technical support to correct a slight hesitation on hard acceleration issue (warrantable item as it was not a scheduled service and the other option was replacing the differential). 

I don't think I'd consider electric until the charging times and infrastructure are better. I also wouldn't pay more than could be saved back in fuel costs within 4-5 years. I'd  want a minimum 600km "usable" range in worst case conditions and still have a bit of a cushion on top of that. For a second "around town" car sure but I drive to the southern Maine, Boston and Cape Cod area most normal summers. I'm the kind of driver who likes to make good time so I'm always timing myself to see how quickly I can fuel up, take a pee break and get back to the interstate. I think even rapid charging for 30 minutes would drive me crazy.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:16 am »

If you have ANY thought of getting rid of the 328, please reach out to me.  A colleague of mine bought a 1997 318i a few years ago and subsequently put 60,000km on it...now he's keeping his eye open for an E90 3-Series with low mileage to bomb around town in when he doesn't need his truck.

I will, although I think it's mostly just talk on my part. I really like the car and it's handy to have a spare car from time to time.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 10:53:47 am »

Mercedes service experience was first rate. BMW sales is top notch but I find service dept just OK.
They always seem to be trying to sell you something and can be a bit sloppy

Once I was about 40 minutes into the 90 minute drive to Moncton to pick up my car when they texted me to say it wouldn't be ready until late in the day (was to supposed to be done the night before)

Wanted to do a front brake job for $1200 about 12,000 kms before it was really needed due to "brake pulsation". I've driven a lot of cars and if you really, really focused you might have felt the tiniest bit, but nothing that I would have ever complained about. As it was I got the brakes done about a year later at my local Euro shop for about $650 using OEM parts not Chinese stuff.

Another time they wanted to charge $200 for a diff fluid change that was being tried on the advice of BMW technical support to correct a slight hesitation on hard acceleration issue (warrantable item as it was not a scheduled service and the other option was replacing the differential). 

I don't think I'd consider electric until the charging times and infrastructure are better. I also wouldn't pay more than could be saved back in fuel costs within 4-5 years. I'd  want a minimum 600km "usable" range in worst case conditions and still have a bit of a cushion on top of that. For a second "around town" car sure but I drive to the southern Maine, Boston and Cape Cod area most normal summers. I'm the kind of driver who likes to make good time so I'm always timing myself to see how quickly I can fuel up, take a pee break and get back to the interstate. I think even rapid charging for 30 minutes would drive me crazy.

Yeah sounds like typical dealer stuff there, nothing really over the top, but annoying none the less. 

It does sound like an electric vehicle might not be ideal for those longer road trips, but I think it's closer than you think.  The Caddy for instance is claimed to have 480kms of range on a full charge, and around 120kms of range for 10 minutes of charging time.  So realistically that's 600kms with around 10 minutes of charge time on a fast charger.  Plus if you did a half hour stop for a pee and maybe a meal, you'd likely get 80% charge, so that would be about 380kms.  Again, not exactly on par with a gas vehicle, but closer than maybe you currently think.  The savings can add up when you consider how expensive premium fuel is compared to electricity, plus not having to do oil changes, that too adds up.  But I totally get having a gas vehicle that you can drive for 600kms, fuel up, pee, and back on the road in 10 minutes for another 600kms is pretty hard to beat.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 11:51:29 am »

I will, although I think it's mostly just talk on my part. I really like the car and it's handy to have a spare car from time to time.

At that mileage and I assume condition, I would say keep the 328. It's a great color combo too. Based on the mileage, you are still far from the known maintenance items with this car and even if they happen, they are not very expensive to fix at a good, honest indy shop (assuming you have one in the area). Not to mention that some jobs are fairly simple DIY even for less experienced people.
OE quality parts are widely available and that not expensive either (trust me I became a bit of an expert on this lately  ;)).  No need to pay highly inflated BMW prices for literarily the same part.

I'm sure the car drives like new. All I would be concerned about would be keeping it rust free (spray it) and clean. Sheet metal and paint on these is pretty good to begin with. Who knows, one day it may fetch you a pretty penny as I think good units will be more and more thought after because the reason you mentioned and the fact they are pretty reliable overall.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:53:23 pm by carcrazy »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 02:50:04 pm »
^ I seem to recall you having some issues with yours recently. Did they get sorted out?

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 04:34:04 pm »
^ I seem to recall you having some issues with yours recently. Did they get sorted out?

Nothing serious. Just small things expected with the age and mileage plus me being picky. The most and probably only serious thing so far was a rear wheel bearing going bad but at 180,000 km this is not a big surprise. The other stuff that went bad since I got the car in September was relatively minor - broken trunk lid wires and a leaky headlight washer nozzle. Other than that it was all cosmetic stuff, accessories, little upgrades things that I elected to do.
However the car runs great, engine is smooth at all speeds, even when cold and as you know first hand it's a pleasure to drive.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:59:28 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 07:07:13 pm »

Sorry about your wife  :'(

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2021, 03:39:31 pm »

Sorry about your wife  :'(

I second the condolences regarding your wife's health.

If I were looking for the C30's replacement right now, I'd seriously consider making an offer on that BMW...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...