Author Topic: 2021 Mach E  (Read 1251 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
2021 Mach E
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:06:37 am »
We looked at something pretty neat today.
This 2021 Mach E Premium Dual motor with extended range battery pack.

$71,595 - and it's a demo unit with 5000 km on it.  He said it was $2000 off for the km - which seems low, but it's also (he said) the only one in MB at a dealer for sale right now.

I jokingly suggested to my wife we should look at it as we went by on the highway.  We came back to town, went for a quick bite at the DQ (drive thru of course) and she finished up and said, "OK, now let's go look at that MachE!"

Really? Alright! OK!

So we go there and someone else is looking at it, so we leave and go kill time in another store for a bit...come back and it's back. 

She just wants to sit in it.  If she hates the seats she'd hate it so nothing more needed.  She's asking all kinds of questions...how far on a tank of gas?  Is it a 4 cyl?  You mean it's not a hybrid? Eek...how would that work on a long drive!? (because yeah hon, we leave the province SO often  :P ;D)  She hasn't gotten out yet so the seats can't be bad.

Then I say...if it's OK, why not take it for a quick spin? (he was OK with it)

Definitely an interesting driving experience.  The auto braking/regen thing was on, so the second you take your foot off it's, OK, we're stopping now. She got used to it pretty quick and made a judgement in minutes: I like this, a lot!

Take off is so smooth...we swapped about halfway and I swear the pressure of your foot sweating will make this thing exceed the posted limit like that.  Nothing abrupt like the Fusion when you take off from a stop, just wooooosh! and yikes! 70 in a 50 like that!

Shi#, I liked it!  I could get used to driving something like that every day...too bad I don't need a commuter anymore.  :-\ :(

There was so much more to learn but we did find the performance page - gave unbridled a little try out.  Changed the setting while we were moving and I swear my foot must've breathed - or the car was just letting me know that hey! There's more here now if you want it! 

Dislikes - well after a 10 minute test drive it's hard to say.  Didn't like the computer monitor on the dash...but truthfully it was basically un-noticeable once you were driving it. Nit pick but I wish they'd stop with that shi# already.  Rear hatch space looked kinda small to me, it's probably OK.  Can't be much more than the car's trunk - at first glance at least.
Wife said the tires were too narrow - that's the first thing she noticed.  What's going on here! You never notice wheels, and now you're noticing tires??
The price.  :-\
I could swear I heard wind noise up around the glass roof - which might explain why there's that recall Guy mentioned.  Or maybe it was just wind noise. 
Not much really to dislike...more to like than not.

For a glorified golf cart...yeah, I'm sold.  I could get used to the way that drives. (I kinda wish she didn't think the EV6 was ugly...or that "it's a KIA"  :P)

Too bad it's so damn much money, and of all the provinces with an abundance of hydro power, MB doesn't do shi# to encourage their purchase.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:27:20 am by BWII »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What Car did You Test Drive Today?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:19:08 am »
Nice review. Sounds like fun.

Oh, and we’ve got a whole forum for these threads.  ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 09:06:46 am »
There isn't already one of these threads is there?  Good?  I guess then it's time to start one.  My offerings will be short and few and far between, but, here's my first of one.
We looked at something pretty neat today.
This 2021 Mach E Premium Dual motor with extended range battery pack.

$71,595 - and it's a demo unit with 5000 km on it.  He said it was $2000 off for the km - which seems low, but it's also (he said) the only one in MB at a dealer for sale right now.

I jokingly suggested to my wife we should look at it as we went by on the highway.  We came back to town, went for a quick bite at the DQ (drive thru of course) and she finished up and said, "OK, now let's go look at that MachE!"

Really? Alright! OK!

So we go there and someone else is looking at it, so we leave and go kill time in another store for a bit...come back and it's back. 

She just wants to sit in it.  If she hates the seats she'd hate it so nothing more needed.  She's asking all kinds of questions...how far on a tank of gas?  Is it a 4 cyl?  You mean it's not a hybrid? Eek...how would that work on a long drive!? (because yeah hon, we leave the province SO often  :P ;D)  She hasn't gotten out yet so the seats can't be bad.

Then I say...if it's OK, why not take it for a quick spin? (he was OK with it)

Definitely an interesting driving experience.  The auto braking/regen thing was on, so the second you take your foot off it's, OK, we're stopping now. She got used to it pretty quick and made a judgement in minutes: I like this, a lot!

Take off is so smooth...we swapped about halfway and I swear the pressure of your foot sweating will make this thing exceed the posted limit like that.  Nothing abrupt like the Fusion when you take off from a stop, just wooooosh! and yikes! 70 in a 50 like that!

Shi#, I liked it!  I could get used to driving something like that every day...too bad I don't need a commuter anymore.  :-\ :(

There was so much more to learn but we did find the performance page - gave unbridled a little try out.  Changed the setting while we were moving and I swear my foot must've breathed - or the car was just letting me know that hey! There's more here now if you want it! 

Dislikes - well after a 10 minute test drive it's hard to say.  Didn't like the computer monitor on the dash...but truthfully it was basically un-noticeable once you were driving it. Nit pick but I wish they'd stop with that shi# already.  Rear hatch space looked kinda small to me, it's probably OK.  Can't be much more than the car's trunk - at first glance at least.
Wife said the tires were too narrow - that's the first thing she noticed.  What's going on here! You never notice wheels, and now you're noticing tires??
The price.  :-\
I could swear I heard wind noise up around the glass roof - which might explain why there's that recall Guy mentioned.  Or maybe it was just wind noise. 
Not much really to dislike...more to like than not.

For a glorified golf cart...yeah, I'm sold.  I could get used to the way that drives. (I kinda wish she didn't think the EV6 was ugly...or that "it's a KIA"  :P)

Too bad it's so damn much money, and of all the provinces with an abundance of hydro power, MB doesn't do shi# to encourage their purchase.

Damn. I got to to bottom of your comments and was disappointed that you didn't buy it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:32:04 am »

Never shop for groceries on an empty stomach...

Never start a new thread on an empty head...

...or 5 hrs of sleep and then 18 hrs later...

I knew I was forgetting something...

Thanks Brig for moving it... :-[ :P

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 09:33:53 am »
Damn. I got to to bottom of your comments and was disappointed that you didn't buy it.

Yeah, me too!  ;D 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
Re: 2021 Mach E
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 10:33:51 am »
After spending a couple of weeks with one, I wanted to buy one too. Honestly, I think an EV commuter is in my future "someday". Probably a Taycan or something...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: 2021 Mach E
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 12:08:41 pm »
It looks like an exact copy of mine, black with white interior.  :D Your wife is right about the tires, 225’s are way too narrow for a car of this weight and torque. I swapped mine with 245’s and it’s much better but the car could have taken even wider.

No wind noise on mine but I carefully selected it as one of this car weak point is the gap between the glass roof and the top of the windshield; it varies a lot from car to car. I ended up choosing the car on the lot with the best, smallest gap.

Glad you liked it.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 04:04:37 pm »

It's the Member Test Drives forum, and this is a member test drive, so I say it's fine right here  ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:18:04 pm »
It's the Member Test Drives forum, and this is a member test drive, so I say it's fine right here  ;)

I moved it from General Car Talk yesterday.   :P

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 04:24:50 pm »

I moved it from General Car Talk yesterday.   :P

Congrats on doing a great job then!