Author Topic: 2021 Volkswagen Atlas Execline  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
2021 Volkswagen Atlas Execline
« on: September 22, 2021, 08:21:24 am »
(Almost) binging on 3-row SUV's this year. Funny thing is, while car guys diss these things, they each have their own personality.

In the Atlas' case, well it out-Buicks Buick. The ride is '70s-soft, the big flat hood rises and dives like a land yacht, there's plenty of room inside, cabin is quiet and comfy, V6 almost sounds like a V8 and it drinks gas like there's no tomorrow. My observed 15.0 l/100 km is in line with my previous drive from a couple years ago, so it's typical.

https://www.autohebdo.net/expert/20210921/volkswagen-atlas-execline-2021-essai-routier/

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-462
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2021 Volkswagen Atlas Execline
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 08:51:56 am »
Even though I'm a VW fan I just can't recommend any of their CUV's to people nowadays.  They have gone too far in trying to match what Americans want and have lost all connection of what VW's were historically about (that would be a luxury German feel at a budget price). 

I will say one thing though, it's so much nicer being picked up with the VW shuttle in this Atlas than the old Dodge VW badged van they were using for years.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:12:27 am »
Agreed.  I'd have a hard time going with an Atlas instead of a Pilot/Highlander, but I really don't need the size of the Atlas.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:21:10 am »
Agreed.  I'd have a hard time going with an Atlas instead of a Pilot/Highlander, but I really don't need the size of the Atlas.

The Atlas is one of the rare "real" 3-rows out there, so one of the very few minivan surrogates. Highlander's little cabin room IMHO doesn't justify going for one instead of RAV4, unless you have kiddos that are right between their booster seat and tween years, about the only human bodies that'll fit in the 3rd row.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:24:00 am »
One thing that gets me when I see an Atlas is how wide it is. Looks like a Humvee going down the road

Such a change from traditional VW's that always seemed a half size smaller than their category

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-462
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:37:00 am »

The Atlas is one of the rare "real" 3-rows out there, so one of the very few minivan surrogates. Highlander's little cabin room IMHO doesn't justify going for one instead of RAV4, unless you have kiddos that are right between their booster seat and tween years, about the only human bodies that'll fit in the 3rd row.
Personally I'd have a harder time passing on the Kia 3 Row SUV, just think it has the best looks and value.  That being said, if I truly need a 3 row vehicle, I'll either pick a minivan or go full size SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 10:33:34 am »

Personally I'd have a harder time passing on the Kia 3 Row SUV, just think it has the best looks and value.  That being said, if I truly need a 3 row vehicle, I'll either pick a minivan or go full size SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc.

The Kia Telluride is definitely not a value proposition. There's not a significant price difference between the mainstream 3-row mid-size SUVs. There's a large price increase when you go full size though. Vans are cheaper. You really have to evaluate your budget, wants/needs when shopping 3-row vehicles.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 10:54:41 am »
I will give the Atlas this:  It's BIG.  If you need a minivan, but don't want a minivan, the Atlas is a very good choice, spacewise. 

My mother has a 2019 Atlas (with the VR6), and we packed six people into it to do an 8 hour road trip from NB to Quebec City in 2019.  Four Adults and two small kids, plus enough luggage for a long weekend trip.  We never ever lacked for space, comfort, or power. 

Ease of access into the 3rd row is a major selling feature of this vehicle, and something that young, large families will really appreciate.  I believe the entire second row seat tips forward in one motion, meaning you can have a car seat installed, and still access the 3rd row easily. 

This isn't a VW that VW wanted to sell to VW fans (if that makes sense) - but rather to everybody else who may not have otherwise considered a VW.  It's very mainstream. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:02:37 am »
I will give the Atlas this:  It's BIG.  If you need a minivan, but don't want a minivan, the Atlas is a very good choice, spacewise. 

My mother has a 2019 Atlas (with the VR6), and we packed six people into it to do an 8 hour road trip from NB to Quebec City in 2019.  Four Adults and two small kids, plus enough luggage for a long weekend trip.  We never ever lacked for space, comfort, or power. 

Ease of access into the 3rd row is a major selling feature of this vehicle, and something that young, large families will really appreciate.  I believe the entire second row seat tips forward in one motion, meaning you can have a car seat installed, and still access the 3rd row easily. 

This isn't a VW that VW wanted to sell to VW fans (if that makes sense) - but rather to everybody else who may not have otherwise considered a VW.  It's very mainstream.

You nailed it. The driving experience did remind me of the Tahoe, size-wise. So did refueling.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 11:07:13 am »
That being said, if I truly need a 3 row vehicle, I'll either pick a minivan or go full size SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc.

I have a 'Burban this week. It's ridiculously big, driving local streets is like piloting a boat around canoes. And it's 96k$. Makes you feel like a king, and sails the highways like a champ. But there's a lot of wasted width in there, a minivan makes more sense. The Suburban offers 144.7 cu.ft of cargo room with all seats down, while an Odyssey has 158. It only makes sense if you're on hazardous country roads and / or really need to tow. Or, buy a minivan and a truck for the same price.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2124
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:57 am »
"throwing this mass on a highway ramp from the stop still requires sending the mushroom well to the carpet"

gotta love google translate hahaha. Good review but yeah, I would be hard pressed going to this over a Highlander/Pilot. The bland looks is really what kills it for me, like it looks like a presidents choice, no name CUV, now available in 5 shades of grey.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 11:15:58 am »
Sad that VW longer has a German entry in the SUV segment.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 11:18:55 am »
Sad that VW longer has a German entry in the SUV segment.

Well, they still have the Tiguan and this Atlas, but the first few gens of the Tiguan were a way cooler vehicle with way more interesting powertrain options.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 11:27:02 am »
The minivan argument makes sense.  An AWD Sienna would probably be perfect for most people if you don't need the ground clearance.

Highlander's little cabin room IMHO doesn't justify going for one instead of RAV4, unless you have kiddos that are right between their booster seat and tween years, about the only human bodies that'll fit in the 3rd row.

The Highlander I want is a last of the previous Gen Hybrid.  The V6, towing capacity and overall refinement would be appreciated over the Rav.  It would have more than enough space for us, and presumably would be more refined than the Rav.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 11:30:19 am »
Tiguan interior get improved at all? The one we rented a few years ago drove fine but the interior was Dodge Caliber level of cheap

The son in laws previous gen Tiguan looked like a Lexus inside by comparison, as did the Sportwagen we looked at buying

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 11:35:37 am »
Tiguan is still made in North America, right? 

No, it hasn't changed.  And yeah, it's pretty cheap feeling inside.  It all works very well, but feels really plasticy.  The biggests issue with the Tiguan was the engine.  It's a dog, and you couldn't tune it.   I think the Tiguan was developed in the middle of the dieselgate fiasco, so there was rampant cost cutting.   Even the Mk.7 Golf saw some cost cutting on the refresh, little things like hood insualtion and prop, rubber liners, etc.   

The previous version, despite being pretty small, definitely had had a nicer interior and drove like a big Golf.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 11:41:41 am »
Tiguan interior get improved at all? The one we rented a few years ago drove fine but the interior was Dodge Caliber level of cheap

The son in laws previous gen Tiguan looked like a Lexus inside by comparison, as did the Sportwagen we looked at buying

Haven't reviewed the Tiggy yet, hoping to get it in '22. Yes, it did look stark in a static sit-down session.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350, 2024 Mazda CX90
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 11:44:39 am »
"throwing this mass on a highway ramp from the stop still requires sending the mushroom well to the carpet"

gotta love google translate hahaha. Good review but yeah, I would be hard pressed going to this over a Highlander/Pilot. The bland looks is really what kills it for me, like it looks like a presidents choice, no name CUV, now available in 5 shades of grey.

I assume the Pilot is reliable but looks more bland than the Atlas to me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 11:46:37 am »

Really, when it comes down to it, all these soccer mom cars are utterly boring to the nth degree, thats what they are meant to be, inoffensive and forgettable. If you want an interesting SUV, get yourself a 4Runner, because nothing on a minivan platform is going to be interesting.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 11:53:16 am »

Really, when it comes down to it, all these soccer mom cars are utterly boring to the nth degree, thats what they are meant to be, inoffensive and forgettable. If you want an interesting SUV, get yourself a 4Runner, because nothing on a minivan platform is going to be interesting.

True,  but the 4Runner is objectively worse for family hauling duty, if you need a third row.  Ever sat in the back of a 4Runner?  I have.  It was terrible.