Author Topic: What Next?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
What Next?
« on: September 21, 2021, 11:25:47 am »
Well, (without jinxing myself), it looks like the Bonnie is sold (at a tidy profit, to boot!).

It seems I have a habit of swapping out my bikes every year or so.  The way I see it, there must be at least another 20-30 cool bikes I'd love to own at some point, so I'd better keep flipping through 'em.  haha.

I find because I am really enjoying the M Roadster, I'm riding less than I used to, so I don't want to have as much money tied up into a bike as I have in the past (with the Z900, Street Triple R), so I'm going to spend the winter months looking at what kind of bargoons I can find.  I like naked bikes, and I really love Yamaha's triple, so if I can find a screaming deal on an XSR900, I could see going for one of those, but I'd really like to keep to $6k or less, and it's not very likely I'll find one anywhere near that price.

So...  what's left?  690 Duke has been on my list the last 3 times I've bought a bike.  Maybe this is the year I finally find out why Rrocket goes on about it so incessantly?  An old Street Triple, maybe?  (I've always loved the round headlight generation's looks and my '14 STR was by far the best bike I've owned).

What say you in the peanut gallery? 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What Next?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:32:05 am »
Well, (without jinxing myself), it looks like the Bonnie is sold (at a tidy profit, to boot!).

It seems I have a habit of swapping out my bikes every year or so.  The way I see it, there must be at least another 20-30 cool bikes I'd love to own at some point, so I'd better keep flipping through 'em.  haha.

I find because I am really enjoying the M Roadster, I'm riding less than I used to, so I don't want to have as much money tied up into a bike as I have in the past (with the Z900, Street Triple R), so I'm going to spend the winter months looking at what kind of bargoons I can find.  I like naked bikes, and I really love Yamaha's triple, so if I can find a screaming deal on an XSR900, I could see going for one of those, but I'd really like to keep to $6k or less, and it's not very likely I'll find one anywhere near that price.

So...  what's left?  690 Duke has been on my list the last 3 times I've bought a bike.  Maybe this is the year I finally find out why Rrocket goes on about it so incessantly?  An old Street Triple, maybe?  (I've always loved the round headlight generation's looks and my '14 STR was by far the best bike I've owned).

Your comment about riding lessand enjoying the roadster more is the key. I would suggest this moves you past duke territory and something cushier. Don't fight it...Goldwing.  ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:36 am »

Really happy to hear this, but not surprised.  :thumbup: Such a nice little car. 

Can't help you on your quest for a new bike though....lol  Happy hunting. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:10 pm »
Congrats on the sale! As you know I am fond of the 690 Duke, but they are pretty spendy.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

ltruong

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 02:05:47 pm »
For you price range you could probably find a nice VFR1200.... Decent HP..lol. you might find a XSR900 around the $7k too

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 02:11:01 pm »
that new Yamaha XMax 300 scooter is a fun ride.   ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 03:06:57 pm »
You'll be disappointed with the Duke if you ride it in the same way as the Bonnie.

I'd say a competent dual sport is worth a look...riding off road is a hoot.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 03:09:18 pm »

Your comment about riding lessand enjoying the roadster more is the key. I would suggest this moves you past duke territory and something cushier. Don't fight it...Goldwing.  ;D

LOL, well he is getting on a bit.

that new Yamaha XMax 300 scooter is a fun ride.   ;D

Closer...  :rofl2:

You'll be disappointed with the Duke if you ride it in the same way as the Bonnie.

I'd say a competent dual sport is worth a look...riding off road is a hoot.

This FTW. Get a CRF250L and come on the trails, sooooooooo much fun. I actually miss mine, should have kept it. I have to load up the dirt bike onto the truck and drive 3km to the local trails.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 03:28:27 pm »

This FTW. Get a CRF250L and come on the trails, sooooooooo much fun. I actually miss mine, should have kept it. I have to load up the dirt bike onto the truck and drive 3km to the local trails.

I guess in retrospect one of the 4 stroke KTMs might have been better?

They can all be made street legal.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:33:59 pm »
3km? You can get a mickey mouse dual sport kit for minimal bucks from RMATV. Surely the cops can't be that thick around your place?

Forget the Honda CRF300L. It's 309lbs. Come on Honda get your act together and drop 60 lbs at least... The Husqvarna FE350 is 236 lbs... If that little Honda was closer to 250 lbs it would be a winner.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:51:28 pm »
3km? You can get a mickey mouse dual sport kit for minimal bucks from RMATV. Surely the cops can't be that thick around your place?

Forget the Honda CRF300L. It's 309lbs. Come on Honda get your act together and drop 60 lbs at least... The Husqvarna FE350 is 236 lbs... If that little Honda was closer to 250 lbs it would be a winner.

Dude, it's literally double the price of the Honda.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »

I guess in retrospect one of the 4 stroke KTMs might have been better?

They can all be made street legal.

Nah, I'm happy with my choices, it's only a small PITA. Sometimes I take the Tiger there for the not so tight/steep trails.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 06:18:52 pm »

It's twice the bike...

A 911 is more than double than an Accord...  ;D

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:52:43 pm »

It's twice the bike...

Not to a guy who's never done off-roading, it isn't.

Just like a 911 to a person with their learner's permit.   ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 07:51:48 pm »
I would argue that having a bike that is 70 lbs lighter would benefit the beginner as much as a seasoned rider.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 07:57:40 pm »
I would argue that having a bike that is 70 lbs lighter would benefit the beginner as much as a seasoned rider.

I agree with that.

But not for what KTMs cost...for a newb, anyways.  He could buy a clapped out KDX/CR/YZ/whatever and realize most of the same benefits.

You never know..he might hate off-roading.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:59:11 pm by rrocket »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 10:09:41 pm »

I agree with that.

But not for what KTMs cost...for a newb, anyways.  He could buy a clapped out KDX/CR/YZ/whatever and realize most of the same benefits.

You never know..he might hate off-roading.

I do like offroading.  I'm crap at it still, though. 

A trio of proper trail bikes will be in the cards at some point (one for me, one for my g/f and one for my son), but not yet. 

In the meantime, I loved the look of the Bonnie, but I didn't love how it handled, nor the fact that I had to wring its neck only to still never keep up with my g/f on the ZX6R, pulling away from every stop.  Hahaha

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 09:14:26 am »

It's twice the bike...

A 911 is more than double than an Accord...  ;D

That's my point, it's not a comparable transaction.

ltruong

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 09:20:56 am »
What about a CRF250X... got a headlight and electric start or YZF250... more than enough power to have fun.  if not just go straight to the 450s

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 09:27:44 am »
YOLO.  Get the Speed Twin already.  It's everything you want, and you know it.  ;D