Author Topic: '21 VENZA winter tire decision  (Read 37115 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: '21 VENZA winter tire decision
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2021, 08:33:34 pm »
got the Cross Climate 2 tires installed...just drove home so not much to report, but i can tell they do feel lighter when turning corners...the factory tires seemed to have a heavy steering feel (like the tires didn't really want to go around a corner that much)...these feel more "normal" (in terms of weight)...weather app says we are supposed to get some snow tonight, but i doubt it will stay on the roads.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2021, 08:38:46 pm »
got the Cross Climate 2 tires installed...just drove home so not much to report, but i can tell they do feel lighter when turning corners...the factory tires seemed to have a heavy steering feel (like the tires didn't really want to go around a corner that much)...these feel more "normal" (in terms of weight)...weather app says we are supposed to get some snow tonight, but i doubt it will stay on the roads.

Keep us posted.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2021, 09:07:52 pm »
I think it may be due to inflation pressure difference.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2021, 10:20:53 pm »

Not sure what this means. Wouldn't the tires be inflated to the correct pressure set on the door jam which would be the same pressure the OE tires were set at?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2021, 10:30:21 pm »

Not sure what this means. Wouldn't the tires be inflated to the correct pressure set on the door jam which would be the same pressure the OE tires were set at?

If the original tires were not topped up since the summer, now they would be sitting at around 30-31 PSI, from initial 33. So when they got swapped and pressure was set to 33 or over (some shops like doing it to compensate for winter temps), there would be noticeable difference in cornering feel. Maybe none of the above happened, all I'm saying is from my personal experience, underinflated tires feel very differently. They ride nice in a straight line but are "jelly" in turns.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2021, 10:44:42 pm »

If the original tires were not topped up since the summer, now they would be sitting at around 30-31 PSI, from initial 33. So when they got swapped and pressure was set to 33 or over (some shops like doing it to compensate for winter temps), there would be noticeable difference in cornering feel. Maybe none of the above happened, all I'm saying is from my personal experience, underinflated tires feel very differently. They ride nice in a straight line but are "jelly" in turns.

Ok, now it makes sense. Thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2021, 11:13:15 pm »

Yea..you won't notice 2 psi difference in handling on an SUV IMO.  Unless you already started way underinflated.

I don't even think I'd notice 2psi on the street in my Boxster.  And I can feel EVERYTHING through the wheel in that car.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:14:46 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2021, 12:16:29 am »

Yea..you won't notice 2 psi difference in handling on an SUV IMO.  Unless you already started way underinflated.

I don't even think I'd notice 2psi on the street in my Boxster.  And I can feel EVERYTHING through the wheel in that car.
tire pressure is fine...one difference with these tires is the tread profile...it isn't "flat" like most tires are...it has a slight curve to it so the center of the tire is slightly raised...if you were to exaggerate it, it's like a motorcycle tire...one of the things mentioned in many reviews were the "lighter steering feel" of the tire...in the case of my Venza, it's actually good because the stock tires felt heavy...these seem much more natural to turn...now, if you had a vehicle that was normal feeling to begin with, perhaps it may feel a little too light (although, i suppose you get used to it)...it's hard to describe so maybe i'm not explaining myself well.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2021, 06:45:42 pm »
Here's a quick photo of the new rubber.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2021, 08:01:00 pm »
I recommended a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2s for my dad's Ridgeline rather than running 2x sets of summers/winters.  Lots of good reviews out there on the CC2 and they will work well on the Ridgeline with its full time torque vectoring AWD system.

So far so good in the dry and wet. Will be interesting to see how they perform with some snow, but here is Vancouver area, that is always an unknown with our mostly wet winters with the occasional snow event. Winters don't have the greatest traction in the wet, but the Michelin CCs really excel in that area.

I think all weathers are a good option for people who live in area where winters are milder and not as severe. Storing/mounting two sets of 18-20" tires that most cars and trucks seem to come with nowadays can be a real pain. I do think there is still a benefit in running dedicated winters, but the all weathers seem to be closing the gap with each new generation.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2021, 12:05:27 pm »
listed the factory tires on facebook marketplace...let the fun begin.  :)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2021, 12:42:50 pm »
How much are you asking for them?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2021, 01:26:33 pm »
$400 or best offer for all four...i've had a few inquiries but no takers as of yet.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2021, 01:48:06 pm »
$400 or best offer for all four...i've had a few inquiries but no takers as of yet.

Don't go less than 400. This very tire costs over 200+tax and the cheapest of reasonable quality is on sale at Crappy for 170+tax.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2021, 01:59:52 pm »
i just want them gone...i'll take what i can get...my wife can't part in the garage until they are sold as they're in the way.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2021, 02:28:22 pm »
i just want them gone...i'll take what i can get...my wife can't part in the garage until they are sold as they're in the way.
Put them outside

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2021, 03:32:53 pm »
Put them outside
it would be nice to get some money for them though...have a guy who said he'd pick them up at 4pm for $200...told him the first person here with cash buys them...we'll see if he shows up.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2021, 03:56:08 pm »
guy showed up and took them...$200 cash...i'm just thankful i found a buyer for them (was worried it would be quite difficult to sell them).

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2021, 04:14:46 pm »
 ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2021, 01:05:44 pm »
Update. Rolled on the new General Arctic 12 winters for a couple of weeks. Was expecting to find some shortcomings but so far there are none. Compared to the previous ver. of Arctics these are super quiet and my tire guy has balanced them perfectly - no vibration at any speed. Going from 19 to 18" the ride has become a little softer, I think. Also, the rubber compound is not as soft as on my previous X-ice3, which could be a pro and a con at the same time. Very happy with them so far. Will update on the snow traction in a few weeks.