Author Topic: '21 VENZA winter tire decision  (Read 37118 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: '21 VENZA winter tire decision
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2021, 04:57:15 pm »
https://www.blackcircles.ca/en/tire/general/altimax-365aw/225-55-r19-99-h

Not a bad deal IMO.
yea, i saw those...but the Cross Climate2 tires seem to have better ratings in terms of stopping distance, etc.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2021, 05:23:34 pm »
https://www.blackcircles.ca/en/tire/general/altimax-365aw/225-55-r19-99-h

Not a bad deal IMO.
yea, i saw those...but the Cross Climate2 tires seem to have better ratings in terms of stopping distance, etc.

True. Go for it while they are in stock. Sell the all-seasons in spring.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2021, 06:55:13 pm »
I have been pleased (but not overwhelmed in winter) by my Cross Climate + on the Jetta GLi, but I see the "2" is an improvement in most areas;

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-2-VS-Michelin-CrossClimate.htm

I'm too old to be changing tires/wheels 2X per year, and have no easy storage space anyway, so I would have to pay, like I do with the other car. That adds up $$.   

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2021, 08:55:49 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pMODgh6bE

A nice test done by The Fast Lane Car last winter comparing:

Michelin Primacy AS OE all season tires
Bridgestone Escopia after market all season tires
Firestone Weathergrip All weather tires
Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 dedicated winter tires

All of them done on the same vehicle, a Toyota RAV4 hybrid. The OE all seasons look quite crappy in the snow.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2021, 09:07:45 pm »
I have been pleased (but not overwhelmed in winter) by my Cross Climate + on the Jetta GLi, but I see the "2" is an improvement in most areas;

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-2-VS-Michelin-CrossClimate.htm

I'm too old to be changing tires/wheels 2X per year, and have no easy storage space anyway, so I would have to pay, like I do with the other car. That adds up $$.
Exact same sentiment here.

Pleased with them but certainly not as great as X-Ice. But certainly good to get around competently and safely in the winter.

For what it is, it works well.

I don't see myself going back to dedicated winters for our current usages.

A5 is also on all weather, and were unstoppable on her TT.

And I'd imagine these tires will get better and better with newer iterations.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-98
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2021, 11:47:34 pm »
Michelin does have the $70 rebate for sure. It's on their web site and the dealer I got the new x-Ice Snow for BMW from said so too.

As I was looking at the new tires today while washing the wheels, they seem more aggressive than the x-Ice I had in the past. I think has something to do with "Snow" part. Made in Canada too. Looking forward to trying them on. Will probably install them in a week or two.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:49:48 pm by carcrazy »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2021, 12:33:06 am »

Yeah! The Cross Climate 2 is such a good tire!! It performs better than several dedicated winter tires - Michelin really did an excellent job here, and the only downfall is likely less longevity but…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2021, 03:30:18 pm »
Ordered the Cross Climate 2 tires for the Venza...they get installed Nov. 4th...they price matched a sale at Canadian Tire (actually, they beat them by $20).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2021, 03:31:04 pm »
Ordered the Cross Climate 2 tires for the Venza...they get installed Nov. 4th...they price matched a sale at Canadian Tire (actually, they beat them by $20).
I think you'll be pleased with your decision.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2021, 08:27:15 pm »
i've read and watched a ton of reviews on them...i think they will be a big improvement over the all seasons currently on my car, without the expense and hassle of a set of dedicated winters...as mentioned, if the weather is THAT bad out, i can take the Sorento (which has winter tires) or stay home...if it works out well, we'll likely need new tires for the Sorento next year so i might get another set of the Cross Climate 2 tires for that vehicle.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2021, 10:54:15 pm »
just because i had so many issues with the Kia dealership, i decided to call the Toyota dealership just to confirm that they did in fact order my tires so that when i showed up next Thursday, the tires are already there...guy confirmed my appointment and said the tires are already there waiting for me (tagged and set aside for my install)...it's nice to deal with people who know what the eff they are doing for a change.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2021, 11:39:12 pm »
i've read and watched a ton of reviews on them...i think they will be a big improvement over the all seasons currently on my car, without the expense and hassle of a set of dedicated winters...as mentioned, if the weather is THAT bad out, i can take the Sorento (which has winter tires) or stay home...if it works out well, we'll likely need new tires for the Sorento next year so i might get another set of the Cross Climate 2 tires for that vehicle.
Hang your head on shame if you get stuck.

Been out a couple really bad times and didn't get stuck in the Prius.

You'll be fine.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2021, 07:17:18 am »
Hang your head on shame if you get stuck.

Been out a couple really bad times and didn't get stuck in the Prius.

You'll be fine.
i never got stuck in my previous cars with all seasons so i should be fine...also, from what i've read, the Cross Climate 2 tires are made of the same (type of) compound that winter tires are made of, it's just that this formula and tread design improves the warmer weather characteristics (reduced wear, improved handling, etc).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2021, 04:22:07 pm »
If you get a good amount of snow in the winter, a good dedicated snow tire is the best.  Everything else is a compromise.

However, if you don’t, then all weather are decent, especially with awd.

When I lived with n Toronto, I had all seasons and did just fine.  Alberta, not so much.
Ron doesn't live too far away from me and he seems comfortable recommending them...i'm sure it will be fine...if things go well with them, i'll likely get them for the Sorento too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2021, 05:15:12 pm »
If you get a good amount of snow in the winter, a good dedicated snow tire is the best.  Everything else is a compromise.

When I lived with n Toronto, I had all seasons and did just fine.  Alberta, not so much.
Ron doesn't live too far away from me and he seems comfortable recommending them...i'm sure it will be fine...if things go well with them, i'll likely get them for the Sorento too.

Yeah.  I didn’t get dedicated snows until I moved to Alberta.

The problem around here isn't necessarily snow, its all the bloody ice and the citys refusal to put down sand. There is so much glare ice and ice ruts round here in the winter, that without a dedicated winter, its a sketchy drive to work.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »
Ontario doesn't get the perma-ice and Ruts that we get in the prairies.  I feel like you can almost get away with all seasons out east, as long as you're able to stay home when it snows.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2021, 05:54:19 pm »

Yeah.  I didn’t get dedicated snows until I moved to Alberta.

The problem around here isn't necessarily snow, its all the bloody ice and the citys refusal to put down sand. There is so much glare ice and ice ruts round here in the winter, that without a dedicated winter, its a sketchy drive to work.

Exactly.  And then I get an attitude when people with all seasons spin their wheels all over the place making the roads nice and smooth.

Oh man, the amount of advance left turns you miss because some chucklehead with all seasons can't get going is oh so frustrating. Like I've said before, with all the accidents the Hakkas have let me avoid, they are a no brainer to me.

Ontario doesn't get the perma-ice and Ruts that we get in the prairies.  I feel like you can almost get away with all seasons out east, as long as you're able to stay home when it snows.

Yeah, so a good all weather tire would work no problem. When I was out in Trenton, you only needed actual winter tires for a handful of days a year, here in Alberta, our street is a bobsled track for most of the winter, as are most side streets.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2021, 06:26:33 pm »
our city is quite good at plowing and de-icing so the "worst" scenarios are short lived.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2021, 07:09:22 pm »
Freezing rain is a a more prominent issue in Ontario and the coastal regions of BC. I call it instant skating rink.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2021, 08:19:31 pm »
Freezing rain is a a more prominent issue in Ontario and the coastal regions of BC. I call it instant skating rink.
Yeah but thats what vacation days are for for the 3 hours it hangs around

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk