Author Topic: '21 VENZA winter tire decision  (Read 37119 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: '21 VENZA winter tire decision
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2021, 03:00:50 pm »
hmm...he just let me know they don't have steelies for my Venza...seems to be a fitment issue.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2021, 03:16:24 pm »
I had toyota steelies for winter tires on my Altima, they had Toyota stamps all over them.

Darned bootleggers  ;D

(toyota centre bore is 60.1 and nissan's is 66.1 mm)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2021, 03:17:25 pm »
I had toyota steelies for winter tires on my Altima, they had Toyota stamps all over them.

Darned bootleggers  ;D

They fit perfectly....got them off the dealer too for 100 or 120 bucks
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2021, 03:23:18 pm »

Darned bootleggers  ;D

They fit perfectly....got them off the dealer too for 100 or 120 bucks

Then they were multi-fit, 73.1 mm bore typically. Dealers will sell and use anything nowadays. Hyundai offers chinese rims with H caps on them, there are plenty of ppl selling them on kijiji insisting they are OEM, only the finish is flaking off. Woops!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »
Holy crap, this is excruciating.  4 pages of choosing tires, and still no resolution.

Here's how it should go:

I'm shopping for winter tires for my Venza.  Should I go X-Ice, Blizzak, or Hakkapelita.  Steelies, or alloys? 

Honestly, for what you're going to pay at a dealer for a set of mediocre Firestones and some steelies that may or may not fit (I call :censor: on that, I bet they're just trying to upsell), you can get a nice set of aftermarket alloys and Blizzaks or X-Ice from Costco.

As far as tire storage, well Kal Tire offers a tire storage service: https://www.kaltire.com/en/tire-storage/

As an aside, I'm springing for the 2012 Mazda3 16" rims after all.  The seller accepted $150.  The dealer has agreed to switch the Blizzaks onto the new rims for me, no charge, and he'll keep and re-use the new steelies he bought for me. 
VMango would be proud of me.  No winter steelies for this guy!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 03:32:40 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2021, 03:34:50 pm »
^ :rofl2:

My tire shop said that the winter tire pkg for our MDX has arrived and is ready for install but they're booked solid this weekend, so next Saturday it is.  After that, I'll be doing the changeovers myself.

Went with X-Ice Snow and downsized to 18s from the factory 20s mounted on black Fast FC-04 rims.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 03:36:43 pm by JG20 »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2021, 03:43:47 pm »
^^^ LOL. My tire quest has ended at Post #4. For anything else I bear no responsibility  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2021, 09:26:29 pm »

My tire shop said that the winter tire pkg for our MDX has arrived and is ready for install but they're booked solid this weekend, so next Saturday it is.  After that, I'll be doing the changeovers myself.

Went with X-Ice Snow and downsized to 18s from the factory 20s mounted on black Fast FC-04 rims.

Same tire and same 18 incher coming of the 2019 to the 2022 MDX.  As long as you don't encounter any snow after 10K km, you'll be golden.  ;D

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2021, 12:00:18 am »

Same tire and same 18 incher coming of the 2019 to the 2022 MDX.  As long as you don't encounter any snow after 10K km, you'll be golden.  ;D

X-Ice Snow are new as of Fall 2020. You had them on your 2019 MDX? Or was it the Latitude X-ice Xi-2? The X-Ice Snow is supposed to have improved snow performance but obviously I won't know for sure till we try it out this winter.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2021, 09:00:57 am »

Blizzaks supposedly have winter performance degraded after the top half of the fancy compound they use wears off. For the Yukon I got a new set of Blizzaks DM V1s mounted on alloys from Tirerack in 2015. With the vehicle in 4 Auto and with those tires it was as if the SUV was on rails in the snow....at least for the first 4 winters. However during the 5th winter i.e. December 2019 onwards I did notice that they were not quite as sure footed although there was plenty of tread left. Last winter I hardly did any driving because of Covid. So this year I decided to be prudent and get a new set of winter tires. The Blizzaks have done about 75K over the last 6 years and time for a change. And for a change I decided to experiment with the X Ice Snows. I have ordered them and will hopefully mount them when the weather turns cooler in southern Ontario. Let's see how they compare with the Blizzaks. The pricing on the Blizzak V2s vs the  X Ice Snows was within shouting distance.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2021, 09:27:20 am »
^^^ Apparently the new WS90's get you a extra season of driving on their fancy compound.  I don't think they've adapted the new WS90's to their SUV/light truck 'DM-V' lineup yet.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:17 am »

X-Ice Snow are new as of Fall 2020. You had them on your 2019 MDX? Or was it the Latitude X-ice Xi-2? The X-Ice Snow is supposed to have improved snow performance but obviously I won't know for sure till we try it out this winter.

No, I missed the new X-ice snow intro.  Mine are circa 2018 (Latitude).  Made in Canada.  ya!  :D

Michelin claims an extra season of use with them.  Here is an interesting short read:  https://www.rubbernews.com/tire/michelin-has-high-hopes-new-look-x-ice-tires

This new snow should even the score between the Michelin and the Blizzack.  My choice for the Michelin historically has been driven by the fact I leave the Michelins on for the entire last year of the lease which always concludes in late fall.  This year, due to the shortages and rapidly rising prices, I switched leases earlier.  My point is after 3 years of use the Latitudes were very acceptable as a summer driver.  Consequently, it was easier to trade or dispose of the vehicle with the original OEM tires, that are never great historically, with one less summer of wear.  Say 36k km total.

This is the first year I did not see Michelin offering their traditional $70. rebate?    Years ago I just stuck with Gislaveds.  I liked those.  They slowly changed and whatnot.

I'm working on obtaining a defeat wiring harness for the 2022 MDX stop/start.   

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2021, 11:00:46 am »

No, I missed the new X-ice snow intro.  Mine are circa 2018 (Latitude).  Made in Canada.  ya!  :D

Michelin claims an extra season of use with them.  Here is an interesting short read:  https://www.rubbernews.com/tire/michelin-has-high-hopes-new-look-x-ice-tires

This new snow should even the score between the Michelin and the Blizzack.  My choice for the Michelin historically has been driven by the fact I leave the Michelins on for the entire last year of the lease which always concludes in late fall.  This year, due to the shortages and rapidly rising prices, I switched leases earlier.  My point is after 3 years of use the Latitudes were very acceptable as a summer driver.  Consequently, it was easier to trade or dispose of the vehicle with the original OEM tires, that are never great historically, with one less summer of wear.  Say 36k km total.

This is the first year I did not see Michelin offering their traditional $70. rebate?   Years ago I just stuck with Gislaveds.  I liked those.  They slowly changed and whatnot.

My tire shop and place that I store my off season rims/tires thorough whom I have ordered the X Ice Snows have told me that there is a $70 mail in rebate on these tires.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2021, 11:09:49 am »

This is the first year I did not see Michelin offering their traditional $70. rebate?   Years ago I just stuck with Gislaveds.  I liked those.  They slowly changed and whatnot.

My tire shop and place that I store my off season rims/tires thorough whom I have ordered the X Ice Snows have told me that there is a $70 mail in rebate on these tires.

Hmm, I'll check when I get them installed next week if we get the rebate.

AS, I'm not a fan of the start/stop either. I always just hit the button to turn it off.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2021, 11:18:12 am »

Hmm, I'll check when I get them installed next week if we get the rebate.

AS, I'm not a fan of the start/stop either. I always just hit the button to turn it off.
I have also not installed them. The news of the $70 rebate was via a phone call when the tire shop called back after my initial phone in asking them to price out the  2 tire brands. They came back with pricing on the Blizzak V2s and the Michelins at which point they spoke off the rebate. So I would presume that they checked on the price and rebate after my initial talk with them. And that it was not a reflexive response because of the long standing Michelin practice of offering the rebate.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2021, 11:20:22 am »
i think i'm going to grab a set of Cross Climate 2 tires and run them year round...i'll then put the stock tires up for sale (not sure how easy they will be to sell though).

18" steel wheels are available, it was the 19" that aren't (that was the confusion from yesterday)...18" Firestone Winterforce2 tires, on steel wheels are about $1450 plus tax...plus $80 per swap for storage and i'll have to deal with the TMPS light on all winter...if i want TPMS sensors for the winters, it's $1750 plus tax and another $65 per swap to reprogram the sensors back to the car.

if i just replace my tires with CrossClimate2 tires, it's about $1300 plus tax and no additional costs twice a year for storage (and TMPS programming if i added them).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2021, 12:30:42 pm »
and another $65 per swap to reprogram the sensors back to the car.

I thought all Toyotas had the ability to store two different codes now so you only had to program once. Either way, won't matter for you so congrats on the new tires.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2021, 02:39:13 pm »

I thought all Toyotas had the ability to store two different codes now so you only had to program once. Either way, won't matter for you so congrats on the new tires.
That's correct.

Something like this would be perfect for Jeffer

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/city-of-toronto/toyota-factory-rims-on-michelin-winter-tires/1590815187
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2021, 03:41:50 pm »

That's correct.

Something like this would be perfect for Jeffer

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/city-of-toronto/toyota-factory-rims-on-michelin-winter-tires/1590815187
those are 245 width tires...might be ok, but 2cm wider than my stock ones...but i'm pretty sure i'm going to go with all weather tires, Cross Climate2 specifically.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2021, 04:52:26 pm »