Author Topic: Michelin North 4  (Read 12543 times)

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Michelin North 4
« on: September 02, 2021, 09:15:53 am »
I am a committed user of studs but am disappointed with the lack of availability of higher end tires (Michelin, Bridgestone etc) in their studded forms in North America. Yes Hakkapeliittas are available in some areas of Canada and I would absolutely try them except zero availability near me and cannot obtain online. My Gislave Nordfrost 100s are coming to the end of their life and have proven to be best ever winter tire (on both my vehicles) but mixed reviews on their replacement , the Nordfrost 200. So i see that finally Michelin is selling a studded tire in the form of the North 4 and it is a top contender when I replace the Nordfrosts. Has anyone any experience with these that they would be willing to share?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Michelin North 4
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:32 am »
Where in the country are you?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:36:34 am »
Where in the country are you?

Yeah....even in buttphuket Edmonton I have access to all kinds of studded tires.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 12:59:22 pm »
Cooper, General Tire, Toyo, etc. have studdable winter tires. The Michelin X-Ice North 4 should be good just based on my experience with their X-Ice Xi2 and Xi3.

I've never tried a studded tire before. My question is what happens when the studs are worn out?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:18:14 pm »
I have dabbled with studs but here in Calgary they are mostly overkill. Sure there are probably 2 days per year where studs will be much superior to regular winters. For that superiority you grind around for 6+ months.. The rubber on studded tires tend to be a conventional winter formulation (harder than gummy winters like Blizzaks).

Studded tires are banned from my exposed aggregate driveway.  ;D

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 02:25:03 pm »
you can't use studded tires in Ontario unless you live in the northern areas

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 02:59:18 pm »
Studdable winter tires are not the same thing as studded winter tires.

There are lots of old-school studdable winter tires (Firestone, General, Cooper, etc.) available in Canada, but that’s not what the OP is looking for. We don’t get most of the premium, newer technology studded tires that are available in Europe.

The Michelin looks like a solid choice. No experience with it, but it was top of one Norwegian test last year. Good summary of the Euro test here: http://www.skstuds.ca/2020/10/10/end-of-the-flexstud-era-the-2020-naf-winter-tire-test/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:28 pm »
I have the Hakka 9 for the GX and the 8 for the JK, they are definitely worth the money. The problem here is ice, not snow, they have paid for themselves over and over.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:50 pm »
I am a committed user of studs but am disappointed with the lack of availability of higher end tires (Michelin, Bridgestone etc) in their studded forms in North America. Yes Hakkapeliittas are available in some areas of Canada and I would absolutely try them except zero availability near me and cannot obtain online. My Gislave Nordfrost 100s are coming to the end of their life and have proven to be best ever winter tire (on both my vehicles) but mixed reviews on their replacement , the Nordfrost 200. So i see that finally Michelin is selling a studded tire in the form of the North 4 and it is a top contender when I replace the Nordfrosts. Has anyone any experience with these that they would be willing to share?

IIRC Kaltire is the distributor for Hakka in Canada, Can't you or your local tire shop, order from them?  Kaltire certainly charge enough for them and if there is also shipping, presumably to some northerly point even more expensive
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 05:53:02 pm »

There are lots of old-school studdable winter tires (Firestone, General, Cooper, etc.) available in Canada, but that’s not what the OP is looking for. We don’t get most of the premium, newer technology studded tires that are available in Europe.

The Michelin looks like a solid choice. No experience with it, but it was top of one Norwegian test last year. Good summary of the Euro test here: http://www.skstuds.ca/2020/10/10/end-of-the-flexstud-era-the-2020-naf-winter-tire-test/

WTF? The Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club? For real? It looks like they summarized a winter tire test from Europe. They were discounting tires for wet pavement performance. In winter? In Saskatchewan?  :rofl2:   Any real Sask resident can get around just fine in a 2WD pickup on bald all-seasons  ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 05:57:42 pm »

WTF? The Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club? For real? It looks like they summarized a winter tire test from Europe. They were discounting tires for wet pavement performance. In winter? In Saskatchewan?  :rofl2:   Any real Sask resident can get around just fine in a 2WD pickup on bald all-seasons  ;)

As someone thats driven through "the gap" in the winter, I can safely say that no, they cannot.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 06:08:20 pm »
They sure as hell ain't driving on designer euro studs.. ;D I don't think 99% of my extended family in sask switches tires for the winter. Bunch of rural bumpkins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 06:11:08 pm »
Better die in a rollover in your 78 Ford F100 like a man than get studded tires like a big girls blouse, amiright??  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 06:14:47 pm »
Save that money for a spoiler and a new bunnyhug:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 06:17:47 pm »
They sure as hell ain't driving on designer euro studs.. ;D I don't think 99% of my extended family in sask switches tires for the winter. Bunch of rural bumpkins.

That's weird, same here...

My dad actually put winters on his pickup.  Mom's car runs studded winters in the back and sticks with the all season in the front.  Because you don't need to stop or steer 'round these parts.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 06:21:14 pm »

That's weird, same here...

My dad actually put winters on his pickup.  Mom's car runs studded winters in the back and sticks with the all season in the front.  Because you don't need to stop or steer 'round these parts.

Wifes family out in Manitoba is the same way...like two families out of the bunch run winters, because they believe they are a scam  ::) ::)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 06:31:51 pm »
Mom's car runs studded winters in the back and sticks with the all season in the front.  Because you don't need to stop or steer 'round these parts.

That's how all our vehicles were on the farm growing up. No such thing as a real winter tire back then, just 'grip' tires with big open treads and the same all season rubber as everything else.

Wasn't much point in putting them on the front as our vehicles were RWD and all they'd do is add noise

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 06:34:10 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I’m in Newfoundland and as East as it gets ( on a good day and with a good imagination I think I can see that great car land to the East- the U.K.) but no Kal Tire. The tire test that was  referenced, supports my point on limited availability of upper end studded tires with #3,4,5 and 7 not available in Canada although looks like Michelin at #1 wil be the replacement for the Gislaves.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 06:36:47 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I’m in Newfoundland and as East as it gets ( on a good day and with a good imagination I think I can see that great car land to the East- the U.K.) but no Kal Tire. The tire test that was  referenced, supports my point on limited availability of upper end studded tires with #3,4,5 and 7 not available in Canada although looks like Michelin at #1 wil be the replacement for the Gislaves.

I'll find you something...what size tire?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 08:32:36 pm »
To rrocket the Tire size is 195/65-15 , I’ve used ( all studded) General Altima ( very good), Pirelli (cannot remember the specific model - good but very noisy) , Goodyear (meh) and without studs - Blizzaks ( also good ).