Author Topic: Jason on the GTI  (Read 27818 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Jason on the GTI
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:31 am »
^^^^Aside from the Mk5, all the GTI's have been very handsome.  Mk7 included.  Each generation just gets better.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2023, 08:44:16 am »
Was comparing the GTI to the R and in terms of a lease an R + sunroof is only about $100 more a month than a GTI Performance + sunroof. Almost makes the R a no-brainer.

I do prefer the looks of the GTI though I'm not a big fan of the grey on the leather seats, and none of the colours really do it for me. And the R only comes in three colours which to me really means one (because **** white and black).

Of course, who knows when you could actually take delivery of either one...

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2023, 10:25:09 am »
Was comparing the GTI to the R and in terms of a lease an R + sunroof is only about $100 more a month than a GTI Performance + sunroof. Almost makes the R a no-brainer.

I do prefer the looks of the GTI though I'm not a big fan of the grey on the leather seats, and none of the colours really do it for me. And the R only comes in three colours which to me really means one (because **** white and black).

I have heard that the GTI is more engaging to drive and almost as quick while rolling.  The LSD and 350 less pounds help.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2023, 10:37:07 am »
Use in real winter conditions = R. Other wise GTI.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2023, 10:42:51 am »

I have heard that the GTI is more engaging to drive and almost as quick while rolling.  The LSD and 350 less pounds help.
The Lightning Lap times would certainly disagree with that assumption.  https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/  I believe both would be from a roll, thus taking away any 0-60 time advantage the R would have.  I believe both were DSG.  The Golf R is a track weapon now.  But as far as engaging, yeah the GTI might feel that way, maybe a bit more drama and communication. 

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2023, 11:51:09 am »

The Lightning Lap times would certainly disagree with that assumption.  https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/  I believe both would be from a roll, thus taking away any 0-60 time advantage the R would have.  I believe both were DSG.  The Golf R is a track weapon now.  But as far as engaging, yeah the GTI might feel that way, maybe a bit more drama and communication.

The AWD helps out of corners.  I assume they had the same tires?  And I said 'more engaging' and 'almost as quick while rolling.' I never said boo about track performance (where the Type R can destroy both).

According to Car and Driver, since you quoted them, the GTI does the 30 to 50 mph sprint in and the 50 to 70 sprint in 2.7 and 3.8 seconds respectively whereas the Golf R is 2.7 and 3.6 seconds respectively.  Pretty close - using the same transmission.  Most of this has to do with lag on the R with the larger turbo.  Aggressive around town and clearly they are close.  They also brake identically from 70 mph (151 ft) and there is just .02g's separating them in skidpad performance.

I wouldn't spend a ton on a small hatchback no matter how good the performance is.  I think the sweet spot for the GTI is the base and then swap out the tires.  You don't need the DCC.

Anyhoo.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2023, 01:01:00 pm »
The base lacks way too much stuff to be viable for me. The price is certainly nice though. I think it's roughly what my 2015 Autobahn listed for.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2023, 07:29:21 pm »

The AWD helps out of corners.  I assume they had the same tires?  And I said 'more engaging' and 'almost as quick while rolling.' I never said boo about track performance (where the Type R can destroy both).

According to Car and Driver, since you quoted them, the GTI does the 30 to 50 mph sprint in and the 50 to 70 sprint in 2.7 and 3.8 seconds respectively whereas the Golf R is 2.7 and 3.6 seconds respectively.  Pretty close - using the same transmission.  Most of this has to do with lag on the R with the larger turbo.  Aggressive around town and clearly they are close.  They also brake identically from 70 mph (151 ft) and there is just .02g's separating them in skidpad performance.

I wouldn't spend a ton on a small hatchback no matter how good the performance is.  I think the sweet spot for the GTI is the base and then swap out the tires.  You don't need the DCC.

Anyhoo.

It used to be true that the GTI was more engaging to drive than the R in anything other than slippery conditions, but that ended with the Mk8. The added top-end power from the new-generation EA888 Evo 4 (R gets a bigger turbo), coupled with the new torque vectoring rear diff, completely change the game dynamically. For the first time ever the Golf R can be steered on the throttle.

In the dry you can feel the car correct its line in corners - just load it up and feed it throttle. It pivots into the apex in a highly effective way. In slippery conditions, it's dial-a-drift - you can drive it through the side glass on a whim.

Car and Driver's acceleration tests belie the performance gap between the cars. The R feels noticeably quicker in virtually all conditions, and especially at the top of the tach.

This isn't to say it's a slam dunk "just get the R" situation - the GTI remains as engaging as ever, with a higher performance envelope than before. I have one on order as we speak (2023 Performance 6MT w/ sunroof & leather delete in Kings Red). But if I had to buy one tomorrow, I'd personally stretch for the R over the loaded GTI.

P.S. - no doubt the Type R gets the edge on a circuit, but I'd still like to see an equal-tires test. The PS4S Honda uses is a superior tire to the summer boots on our cars, and the 11th gen's rubber is 30 mm wider. Fit an equal set on a Golf R and I suspect the gap might be slimmer than you'd think.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 07:34:51 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2023, 07:27:09 am »
Patrick, are there any updates coming for the 2024 model year for either the GTI or R?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2023, 11:14:40 am »
This statement from Patrick seals it for me:

It used to be true that the GTI was more engaging to drive than the R in anything other than slippery conditions, but that ended with the Mk8. The added top-end power from the new-generation EA888 Evo 4 (R gets a bigger turbo), coupled with the new torque vectoring rear diff, completely change the game dynamically. For the first time ever the Golf R can be steered on the throttle.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2023, 12:14:47 pm »

Anyhoo.

In the dry you can feel the car correct its line in corners - just load it up and feed it throttle. It pivots into the apex in a highly effective way. In slippery conditions, it's dial-a-drift - you can drive it through the side glass on a whim.

Car and Driver's acceleration tests belie the performance gap between the cars. The R feels noticeably quicker in virtually all conditions, and especially at the top of the tach.

This isn't to say it's a slam dunk "just get the R" situation - the GTI remains as engaging as ever, with a higher performance envelope than before. I have one on order as we speak (2023 Performance 6MT w/ sunroof & leather delete in Kings Red). But if I had to buy one tomorrow, I'd personally stretch for the R over the loaded GTI.

P.S. - no doubt the Type R gets the edge on a circuit, but I'd still like to see an equal-tires test. The PS4S Honda uses is a superior tire to the summer boots on our cars, and the 11th gen's rubber is 30 mm wider. Fit an equal set on a Golf R and I suspect the gap might be slimmer than you'd think.

The next Lightning Lap is in a week and the new GTI will be tested as will the New Type R.  The Elantra N will be there as well.  Should be interesting.

The PS4S is for the new Type R - the previous generation used Conti's and was still quicker than the MK7 and MK8 Golf R.  Remarkable for a FWD car.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:03 pm »

The next Lightning Lap is in a week and the new GTI will be tested as will the New Type R.  The Elantra N will be there as well.  Should be interesting.

I'd pick an RS3 over all if I lived in the US.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2023, 12:25:39 pm »

Needs a manual transmission for me to get excited. 

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2023, 01:35:24 pm »

RS3 will be there as well - M240 too.  Oh and the GR Corolla.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2023, 01:37:07 pm »

Isn't the RS3 like $15k more than a Golf R, though?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2023, 03:44:07 pm »
RS3 is not on Audi Canada's site?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2023, 03:48:40 pm »

Isn't the RS3 like $15k more than a Golf R, though?
Engine alone is worth it for me.

I'll take an I5 over sad sounding 4 banger any day.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2023, 03:49:43 pm »
RS3 is not on Audi Canada's site?
They aren't offered here any more.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2023, 04:11:41 pm »
I'm not saying the RS3 isn't worth the money, but it's in a different snack bracket compared to the R. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2023, 06:58:59 pm »
I'm not saying the RS3 isn't worth the money, but it's in a different snack bracket compared to the R.
Well worth it IMO.