Author Topic: Jason on the GTI  (Read 27851 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Jason on the GTI
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2022, 02:56:19 pm »
Yeah bingo. A four cylinder only needs one exhaust. Anything more is adding complexity and weight for looks.

How about a Honda V6 in a truck?  ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2022, 03:10:36 pm »
Yeah bingo. A four cylinder only needs one exhaust. Anything more is adding complexity and weight for looks.

Just like VW they used to do it proper where form follows function (Single exhaust in the gen 1 Ridgeline). They fell to the same style stupidity as VW in the gen 2.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2022, 03:12:59 pm »

Just like VW they used to do it proper where form follows function (Single exhaust in the gen 1 Ridgeline). They fell to the same style stupidity as VW in the gen 2.  ;)
But the Honda has 2 exhaust manifolds, doesn't it?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2022, 03:29:38 pm »

It does but the engineers went 2 into 1 and then single back as they determined that is all that was needed. That is different than a designer adding a second pipe because it looks "sporty". Heck VW didn't even used to have exposed exhausts (and neither does the gen 1 Ridgeline or for that matter the LR4. Classy. Multiple (separated) exhaust tips (so it mimics V8 dual exhausts) on a single bank engine is one step away from "truck nuts".

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2022, 03:50:55 pm »

Plenty of V8 trucks also have two exhaust manifolds, but those manifolds feed into one single collector pipe, which then splits off into two pipes for the 'dual' exhaust.  Ram does this for sure.  Not sure about GM or Ford, but I assume the same.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2022, 03:56:44 pm »

Plenty of V8 trucks also have two exhaust manifolds, but those manifolds feed into one single collector pipe, which then splits off into two pipes for the 'dual' exhaust.  Ram does this for sure.  Not sure about GM or Ford, but I assume the same.

Yeah that's true and it makes the Ram look a little trashy Pep Boys styling. . If it is a true dual system with a H or x pipe then two outlets ok.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2022, 04:15:05 pm »

Yeah that's true and it makes the Ram look a little trashy Pep Boys styling. . If it is a true dual system with a H or x pipe then two outlets ok.

Man, the cars that have the fake dual exhaust tips must really cheese you off.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2022, 05:22:56 pm »
Yes they do Right up there with Toyota's fake hood scoops.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2022, 08:16:09 pm »
Had I ordered a GTI rather than an R. I would have ordered Pomelo Yellow.  When my local dealer got their first GTI in Kings/Royal Red the salesman told me that yellow was way down the production timetable.  I certainly haven’t seen one around here.

Pomelo Yellow is lovely, but my OCD is bothered by the contrast from the yellow paint to the red accents. Would have to be a Kings Red GTI for me... and may very well be in the future. My next R will be white.
I wish I had ordered white.  My cars since 2008 have all been white...usually because that was the colour on the lot.  The first warm day with the R parked outside , dark blue and black interior...should have bought white!.   Now I park in the garage all the time.

I hope I did not offend you by my comment to you  on the owners manual.    Softened my line a bit. Needs two manuals one for the car which could be quite thin and a big glossy full colour one for the infotainment.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:21:28 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2022, 08:18:54 pm »
Not sure? GTI and R both have real exhausts, valved in the case of the latter. The new ones even backfire in the more aggressive drive modes, and the synthesized exhaust note assistance in the cabin can be deactivated.

How do you deactivate the Soundakator?  Is there a secret button somewhere?
 I note that OBD11 says it needs a security code to do it.  I have VCDS  but my cable is out of date.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2022, 08:50:38 am »
Not sure? GTI and R both have real exhausts, valved in the case of the latter. The new ones even backfire in the more aggressive drive modes, and the synthesized exhaust note assistance in the cabin can be deactivated.

How do you deactivate the Soundakator?  Is there a secret button somewhere?
 I note that OBD11 says it needs a security code to do it.  I have VCDS  but my cable is out of date.

No way to permanently disable it until someone cracks the computer in this car, but in Individual drive mode, you can set the exhaust to "Eco" (turns off Soundaktor, exhaust valves closed) or "Pure" (turns off Soundaktor, exhaust valves open).
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2022, 09:31:41 pm »
Cottage neighbour came over to show his brand new GTI today.  Picked it up Friday with 9km in Barrie yesterday.  Silver, auto, 18 inch wheels, no sunroof, plaid seats ... whatever model that is.   Would not let me beat on it.  ;D  Still in break-in mode and this guy is very diligent with his cars.  He was under the impression that he was getting the model that included a sunroof and the audio upgrade, but apparently not available.  He was very anxious to get rid of his 2016 RDX on trade which had an off the books body repair, mechanical issues, but still receiving stupid money so he accepted.

Quite excellent vehicle for the price point. Only issue which I find a deal breaker is the engine stop/start.  No button for that, only method to kill it is via the info screen each time on start up .  :o   

Is there a fix for this? 

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2022, 08:39:38 am »
Silver, auto, 18 inch wheels, no sunroof, plaid seats ... whatever model that is.   

Quite excellent vehicle for the price point. Only issue which I find a deal breaker is the engine stop/start.  No button for that, only method to kill it is via the info screen each time on start up .  :o   

Is there a fix for this?

Autobahn trim without the sunroof & 19" wheels package. Great middle-of-the-road spec.

There's no factory way to disable ISG on startup, nor is there for the vast majority of cars. The reason for this is simple enough... ISG factors into the fuel economy cycle. It cannot be included in the fuel economy rating if there is a way to permanently disable it. Good news is, the GTI has a customizable shortcut menu (swipe down from top of screen) where the ISG defeat can be set as one of the tiles.

Otherwise, I'm sure tuners will eventually crack the ECM and offer an option to turn it off via OBDeleven.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2022, 09:02:24 am »
Silver, auto, 18 inch wheels, no sunroof, plaid seats ... whatever model that is.   

Is there a fix for this?

Autobahn trim without the sunroof & 19" wheels package. Great middle-of-the-road spec.

There's no factory way to disable ISG on startup, nor is there for the vast majority of cars. The reason for this is simple enough... ISG factors into the fuel economy cycle. It cannot be included in the fuel economy rating if there is a way to permanently disable it. Good news is, the GTI has a customizable shortcut menu (swipe down from top of screen) where the ISG defeat can be set as one of the tiles.

Otherwise, I'm sure tuners will eventually crack the ECM and offer an option to turn it off via OBDeleven.
Is it similar to my Civic Si in that I can disable it by simply just keeping the clutch depressed when at a stop light, also in sport mode the stop start is automatically disengaged, is it similar in the VW's?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2022, 10:03:25 am »

Is there a fix for this?

Is it similar to my Civic Si in that I can disable it by simply just keeping the clutch depressed when at a stop light, also in sport mode the stop start is automatically disengaged, is it similar in the VW's?

In the manual GTIs and Golf R there is no auto stop/start  ;)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2022, 10:07:22 am »

Is there a fix for this?

Nice, so you just penalize the people who go with the automatic.  That's a great way to sell people on getting the manual over the auto.  Good on VW for doing that.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2022, 11:28:04 am »

Is there a fix for this?

That's actually quite surprising. I have the auto/start function on the 335 and fine it works quite well with a manual.

How did that slip through VW?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2022, 12:53:56 pm »
Good news is, the GTI has a customizable shortcut menu (swipe down from top of screen) where the ISG defeat can be set as one of the tiles.

OK, will pass it on when I see him in a week.  Be interesting to see if he solves it for himself. 

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2022, 02:44:03 pm »

It didn't, we have plenty of global models with manual and ISG. A Euro-spec Mk8 Golf eTSI test mule with just such a setup is sitting outside. It's understood that manual GTI and R buyers are die-hard enthusiasts who would prefer not to have ISG, whereas the DSG buyers are split a little more across the enthusiast spectrum. In the case of the R, the gearbox is engineered just for North America, so we have full control. 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2022, 02:49:19 pm »

It didn't, we have plenty of global models with manual and ISG. A Euro-spec Mk8 Golf eTSI test mule with just such a setup is sitting outside. It's understood that manual GTI and R buyers are die-hard enthusiasts who would prefer not to have ISG, whereas the DSG buyers are split a little more across the enthusiast spectrum. In the case of the R, the gearbox is engineered just for North America, so we have full control.

Got it. Thanks