Author Topic: Jason on the GTI  (Read 27861 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Jason on the GTI
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2021, 05:21:46 am »
I'd be shocked if somebody doesn't make an aftermarket golf ball shifter for the MK8.
RaceEngineering has always had one.

https://raceseng.com/nitro-master

I bought IQ one of their balls for her IS300. Beautifully made.

Am considering one for the Porsche.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:31:30 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2022, 10:24:34 am »
I think what bothers me the most about the new GTI is the needless break from tradition in a couple of area. They may seem minor but getting rid of the golf ball shifter and no longer offering Tornado Red bugs me.

In fairness, the shifter does still have golf ball dimples. The whole back-side of the shift ball, the part in leather, has them. They're not visible from the front but you feel them with your fingers when you shift.

As for Tornado Red, well, not just a GTI thing... the colour is gone across the range (incl. for GLI and other models in Europe).

Saw a new GTI in Kings Red the other day and was I ever disappointed. That colour reminds me of the Patagonia Red that Mercedes offers on a bunch of their models which is a really odd colour IMO. Just kind of dull and almost pink-ish. I've seen it compared to Mazda's soul red which I've always liked but to me it seemed quite different.

RIP Tornado Red  :(

Patrick, any chance we're gonna get some better colours on the GTI and R? I want something bright and vibrant.  :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2022, 10:52:04 am »
I think what bothers me the most about the new GTI is the needless break from tradition in a couple of area. They may seem minor but getting rid of the golf ball shifter and no longer offering Tornado Red bugs me.

In fairness, the shifter does still have golf ball dimples. The whole back-side of the shift ball, the part in leather, has them. They're not visible from the front but you feel them with your fingers when you shift.

As for Tornado Red, well, not just a GTI thing... the colour is gone across the range (incl. for GLI and other models in Europe).

Saw a new GTI in Kings Red the other day and was I ever disappointed. That colour reminds me of the Patagonia Red that Mercedes offers on a bunch of their models which is a really odd colour IMO. Just kind of dull and almost pink-ish. I've seen it compared to Mazda's soul red which I've always liked but to me it seemed quite different.

Patrick, any chance we're gonna get some better colours on the GTI and R? I want something bright and vibrant.  :)

Well they do offer that yellow color that is quite different.  I agree that I much prefer the Tornado Red over their current red.  If I was picking color options for the GTI/Golf R, I think an orange, line green, and maybe purple would all be great options.  Heck I'd even be willing to pay a $500 premium for such color options.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2022, 10:56:17 am »
The yellow is interesting. It's similar to the Sao Paulo yellow that BMW offers on the new M3/M4. I'd have to see it in person.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2022, 01:31:28 pm »

Working on some options for GTI, but don't hold your breath on R.

Re: Kings Red, honestly, I've grown to much prefer it to Tornado. In sunlight it's utterly stunning and has so much more range (twin-stage metallic) than Tornado's one-note solid.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 01:46:14 pm »
I have no doubt that Kings is a much more complex colour but 99/100 I will choose a brighter non-metallic red over the other choices. See also Porsche's Guards vs. Carmine.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2022, 12:32:14 pm »
Really nice review of the GTI, Elantra N, Civic Si, and WRX by Savagegeese.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yJbpxVgTA

Final thoughts were really interesting, with one guy pretty much going with "if it was my only fun vehicle" and the other guy going more "if I have a dedicated fun/track car" angle.  Things that I wish could have been set up for this test, give the guys a Canadian version Civic Si, and for the love of Pete, give that GTI some summer performance rubber for this type of test.  Obviously they are at the mercy of what manufacturers give them, and they tried to go as base model as possible.  Oddly, both guys agreed on what is 2nd and 3rd place, just flipped what was first and last.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2022, 10:11:12 am »
Really nice review of the GTI, Elantra N, Civic Si, and WRX by Savagegeese.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yJbpxVgTA

Final thoughts were really interesting, with one guy pretty much going with "if it was my only fun vehicle" and the other guy going more "if I have a dedicated fun/track car" angle.  Things that I wish could have been set up for this test, give the guys a Canadian version Civic Si, and for the love of Pete, give that GTI some summer performance rubber for this type of test.  Obviously they are at the mercy of what manufacturers give them, and they tried to go as base model as possible.  Oddly, both guys agreed on what is 2nd and 3rd place, just flipped what was first and last.

Was a solid review. The "base models only" thing ruled out summer rubber for GTI - the car comes with all-seasons on the 17" (Canada only) and 18", or summer performance tires for the 19" fitments. I was more surprised that they couldn't get the Elantra out of the hole quicker for the drag race. The GTI outperforms its horsepower rating for sure, but that Elantra is not slow. Interesting to note, they mentioned temperatures were cold. Had the GTI been on summer tires, they may have had more traction/axle hop issues off the line.

It's priced well beyond, but I'd still chuckle to see an R in that race. The DSG cars run mid-12s and trap 110-112 all day long. Monsters.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:13:20 am by Patrick_D1 »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2022, 11:28:17 am »
Had I ordered a GTI rather than an R. I would have ordered Pomelo Yellow.  When my local dealer got their first GTI in Kings/Royal Red the salesman told me that yellow was way down the production timetable.  I certainly haven’t seen one around here.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:33:14 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2022, 12:02:17 pm »

Good review, but “poverty spec” and “base models only” wasn’t quite true. I was really curious to see a review of a base model WRX, but that one wasn’t. Probably not a huge performance difference (17” 235 summer tires vs 18” 245 summers), but still.

I’d still buy a WRX of the four, mostly just want to know how the base cloth seats and interior compares to the premium cloth.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2022, 01:09:38 pm »
Had I ordered a GTI rather than an R. I would have ordered Pomelo Yellow.  When my local dealer got their first GTI in Kings/Royal Red the salesman told me that yellow was way down the production timetable.  I certainly haven’t seen one around here.

Pomelo Yellow is lovely, but my OCD is bothered by the contrast from the yellow paint to the red accents. Would have to be a Kings Red GTI for me... and may very well be in the future. My next R will be white.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2022, 01:13:12 pm »

Pomelo Yellow is lovely, but my OCD is bothered by the contrast from the yellow paint to the red accents. Would have to be a Kings Red GTI for me... and may very well be in the future. My next R will be white.
I figured you'd be putting your name on that special edition Golf R that is coming out, but I'm unsure if that's coming to Canada or if it's just a US market thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40107191/volkswagen-golf-r-20-years/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:15:10 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2022, 01:13:36 pm »
I would have to break my "no fake exhaust" rule to own the GTI, otherwise it looks good. VW used to be classier than this..

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2022, 01:16:29 pm »
I would have to break my "no fake exhaust" rule to own the GTI, otherwise it looks good. VW used to be classier than this..
Fake exhaust?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2022, 01:29:10 pm »
Not sure? GTI and R both have real exhausts, valved in the case of the latter. The new ones even backfire in the more aggressive drive modes, and the synthesized exhaust note assistance in the cabin can be deactivated.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2022, 01:30:53 pm »
Not sure? GTI and R both have real exhausts, valved in the case of the latter. The new ones even backfire in the more aggressive drive modes, and the synthesized exhaust note assistance in the cabin can be deactivated.
Surely he must mean the dual exhaust on a 4 banger.

The GTI is only running a single manifold up front...so it's a fake dual exhaust.

That's my guess.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2022, 01:35:05 pm »

The GTI is only running a single manifold up front...so it's a fake dual exhaust.

That's my guess.
That's strange.  Are there any 4 cylinders that have multiple manifolds?  Maybe he was referring to the "enhanced engine noise", but that too is kind of a weird thing to get caught up on as a lot of vehicles have that nowadays.  I'm just happy that there are still fun ICE vehicles with manuals to buy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2022, 01:42:53 pm »

That's my guess.
That's strange.  Are there any 4 cylinders that have multiple manifolds?  Maybe he was referring to the "enhanced engine noise", but that too is kind of a weird thing to get caught up on as a lot of vehicles have that nowadays.  I'm just happy that there are still fun ICE vehicles with manuals to buy.
We'll have to wait for him to chime in...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2022, 01:53:58 pm »
Quite a few transverse mounted V6s have fake duals.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2022, 02:47:51 pm »

That's my guess.

Yeah bingo. A four cylinder only needs one exhaust. Anything more is adding complexity and weight for looks. The second exhaust is for "looks" and nothing else. Slippery slope to this:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:51:44 pm by ktm525 »