Author Topic: Jason on the GTI  (Read 27839 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Jason on the GTI
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2021, 08:41:05 am »
I think what bothers me the most about the new GTI is the needless break from tradition in a couple of area. They may seem minor but getting rid of the golf ball shifter and no longer offering Tornado Red bugs me.
It bugs the crap out of me too.  I do not like the idea of the haptic buttons.  I don't care if I'll get used to them over time, the point is I shouldn't have to.  No one is asking for these, if anything people are begging for buttons and nobs.  I'm sure it drives great, and it's certainly priced right, so it'll likely sell pretty well.  With the new Civic Si, Type R, WRX/STi, Elantra N, and if Toyota ever makes that Corolla hot hatch, there will be some competition for this new generation of GTI/R.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2021, 08:50:29 am »
I'd be shocked if somebody doesn't make an aftermarket golf ball shifter for the MK8.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2021, 08:52:56 am »
I'd be shocked if somebody doesn't make an aftermarket golf ball shifter for the MK8.
When I got my GLI I wasn't a big fan of the shifter, even asked the dealer how much a GTI golf ball shift nob would be.  I think it was something outrageous like $250, so just kept the ugly shifter that came with the GLI.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2021, 09:05:45 am »
Considering how scripted these videos are, I'm sure he could have given it 100% praise and still sounded genuine. Acting is acting. ;)

Totally this.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that the outrage is to gather views/following. 

Doesn't mean he's not wrong.
As someone who has followed Jason for years, and met him, I can tell you he calls it like it is, in his view, all the time. He never shies away from hard truths or harsh criticism when he sees it is warranted. Production and acting is just that, but the car content is genuine.

Example: he hates how the OG NSX drives. Thinks it is quite bad! Who else has called it a bad handling car?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2021, 09:09:15 am »
When I got my GLI I wasn't a big fan of the shifter, even asked the dealer how much a GTI golf ball shift nob would be.  I think it was something outrageous like $250, so just kept the ugly shifter that came with the GLI.

Damn, I paid around $100 for my M sport shift knob.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 10:09:53 am »
I think what bothers me the most about the new GTI is the needless break from tradition in a couple of area. They may seem minor but getting rid of the golf ball shifter and no longer offering Tornado Red bugs me.

In fairness, the shifter does still have golf ball dimples. The whole back-side of the shift ball, the part in leather, has them. They're not visible from the front but you feel them with your fingers when you shift.

As for Tornado Red, well, not just a GTI thing... the colour is gone across the range (incl. for GLI and other models in Europe).
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 10:52:36 am »

But 0-60 is meaningless to me as I already have a hard time getting past 2500 rpm in traffic.  ;)

Then why do you need a GTI?

Get a Prius.

I've thought about it but would get the Prime if going that route.

EDIT:  FTR I think the GTI is not about 0-60 times but more about being a fun and playful hatch.
not only fun and playful, but as a solid daily driver...it just does so many things well...a true all rounder...that's a big part of its appeal.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 11:48:44 am »

In fairness, the shifter does still have golf ball dimples. The whole back-side of the shift ball, the part in leather, has them. They're not visible from the front but you feel them with your fingers when you shift.

As for Tornado Red, well, not just a GTI thing... the colour is gone across the range (incl. for GLI and other models in Europe).
Patrick, we love you and what you do, interacting with us crazies.  But had VW gotten this right, you wouldn't be explaining how the shifter has dimples (but not the shape of the golf ball), that the infotainment is actually more user friendly than indicated in reviews, that you get used to the haptic buttons, etc.  VW was viewed as having one of the best interior in the segment, some claiming better than some luxury models, and even though this new GTI is a step up in performance, it's a step back in interior, user friendliness, and traditions.  Not sure what market or people were asking for these changes but it wasn't north America.  Of course you yourself have no control over these things.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2021, 11:53:19 am »
But had VW gotten this right, you wouldn't be explaining how the shifter has dimples (but not the shape of the golf ball), that the infotainment is actually more user friendly than indicated in reviews, that you get used to the haptic buttons, etc.  VW was viewed as having one of the best interior in the segment, some claiming better than some luxury models, and even though this new GTI is a step up in performance, it's a step back in interior, user friendliness, and traditions.  Not sure what market or people were asking for these changes but it wasn't north America.  Of course you yourself have no control over these things.

Couldn't agree more, frankly. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, and I do in this forum only because it's fun. For the broader public? We'll see how the launch goes. I remain quite optimistic.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
^^^Note, too, that it's a bunch of VW enthusiasts making all these comments.  Most of the people in this thread are either ex-Golf R owners, or current/ex GTI/GLI owners. 

It's not like it's a bunch of Honda/Toyota fanboys in this thread that are gleefully rubbing their hands at the fall of the mighty GTI. 

It's also a testament to just how successful the VW GTI as a nameplate is.  The GTI is arguably the most successful hot hatch on the market, ever, perfectly blending performance, fun, utility, and liveability.  I can understand why some of the diehard GTI fans are getting worked up over this.  No need to fix what isn't broken!!

Then again, large companies have a habit of 'telling consumers what they think consumers want'.  Apple did it when they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone - there was a huge uproar, but eventually it died down, consumers got used to it, and it turned into a non-issue. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2021, 12:01:18 pm »
But had VW gotten this right, you wouldn't be explaining how the shifter has dimples (but not the shape of the golf ball), that the infotainment is actually more user friendly than indicated in reviews, that you get used to the haptic buttons, etc.  VW was viewed as having one of the best interior in the segment, some claiming better than some luxury models, and even though this new GTI is a step up in performance, it's a step back in interior, user friendliness, and traditions.  Not sure what market or people were asking for these changes but it wasn't north America.  Of course you yourself have no control over these things.

Couldn't agree more, frankly. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff, and I do in this forum only because it's fun. For the broader public? We'll see how the launch goes. I remain quite optimistic.

I still think the GTI will be successful.  As I mentioned before, I think the new screens and tech will 'show' very well in the showroom and on testdrives.  Average people LOVE tech like that - being able to show off to their friends the fancy new screens in their fancy new GTI.  Just because the enthusiast community is making a big deal about this stuff on car forums, doesn't mean the John Q Public is going to pay any attention, or even know that such controversy exists.  The majority of people don't give a crap what us forum nerds think.  Case-in-point:  The sheer quantity of Chevy Equinoxes on the road  :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2021, 01:04:52 pm »
Just because the enthusiast community is making a big deal about this stuff on car forums, doesn't mean the John Q Public is going to pay any attention, or even know that such controversy exists.  The majority of people don't give a crap what us forum nerds think. 

This 100%

The enthusiasts make up such a small market for most car brands or even any product out there. I read all the same things when I'm on the audio/video or bike forums as they drop thousands and thousands  of $$$ to try and find that last 1% of diminishing returns.

I remember talking to a guy at my local coffee shop that just bought a Golf R and I came to the conclusion, he just liked the look of the car so he bought it. Nothing wrong with that at all but sure made for a boring conversation.

While some of us will go on and on about how things feel in your hand, how you can feel the chassis through your but etc, the other 98% won't stop talking about how many colours they can change the interior to.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2021, 01:12:08 pm »
Case-in-point:  The sheer quantity of Chevy Equinoxes on the road  :rofl2:
my parents and my in-laws love theirs.  ;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2021, 01:17:02 pm »

I still think the GTI will be successful.  As I mentioned before, I think the new screens and tech will 'show' very well in the showroom and on testdrives.  Average people LOVE tech like that - being able to show off to their friends the fancy new screens in their fancy new GTI.  Just because the enthusiast community is making a big deal about this stuff on car forums, doesn't mean the John Q Public is going to pay any attention, or even know that such controversy exists.  The majority of people don't give a crap what us forum nerds think.  Case-in-point:  The sheer quantity of Chevy Equinoxes on the road  :rofl2:

Are there non-enthusiasts that buy GTIs? Really?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2021, 01:23:03 pm »

Of course there are.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2021, 01:27:51 pm »

That's what I was thinking.  Sure there are a portion of people who buy GTI's and R's that aren't really car enthusiasts, but I'd say the ratio of car-enthusiasts to non is quite different than your run of the mill CUV.  Also, there is a big group of VW GTI/R fanboy's that get the new one every generation, if they aren't happy with the changes it'll mean losing the most profitable customers.

I'll wait to see if the GTI/R win awards, get on the 10 best cars lists of mags, etc, as that's what has happened with every generation since the MK5 GTI came out.  If this MK8 doesn't do that, well VW gone and did something very wrong.

I just hope and pray, that they make a MK9 ICE GTI and bring back all those things we loved from MK5-7.5, before they make it an EV.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2021, 01:31:53 pm »

BTW, MT only got 5.4 to 60.

The C/D test track runs downhill with a perpetual tail wind.  This is known.  How else to explain that they always manage to clock the fastest 0-60 time on any new car?  ;D

As for the center stack, VW isn't alone but is clearly leading the charge in eradicating all buttons / toggles / knobs / switches from cars.  While it wouldn't stop me from buying a GTI, I absolutely detest this from a functional point of view.  It's a trend that needs to die.

Volvo has entered the chatroom.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »

MK6 didn’t have the golf ball shifter, so not like there’s an unbroken history there.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »

That's what I was thinking.  Sure there are a portion of people who buy GTI's and R's that aren't really car enthusiasts, but I'd say the ratio of car-enthusiasts to non is quite different than your run of the mill CUV.  Also, there is a big group of VW GTI/R fanboy's that get the new one every generation, if they aren't happy with the changes it'll mean losing the most profitable customers.

I'll grant you the majority of GTI owners are likely enthusiasts.  But there are enthusiasts, and then there are enthusiasts who frequent car forums.  Not every enthusiast spends their time watching car videos for fun, or frequenting automotive forums to talk about the nitty gritty of volume knobs (or the lack there-of). 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2021, 03:03:47 pm »
I've always had a soft spot for the GTI, the rest of the VW range was never anything special to me, but the GTI, yeah, I liked it. I was very close to buying one when I bought my Altima back in 05, but the only colors the dealers had were black, black, and off black. The new ones dash and button situation, who thought that was a good idea?? The little fetuses that have a phone growing out of their right hand aren't buying GTIs and this is a huge black spot on the car, hope VW has a mid year change with buttons becoming a thing again.
Lighten up Francis.....