Author Topic: Jason on the GTI  (Read 27868 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Jason on the GTI
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 07:04:53 pm »
Just watched the video. OMG, that Scirocco in the garage :drool:

Interesting take, would like to try one myself to see how I felt about it but being a button and knob lover, I'm already bias already.

I'd like to see track times (which is totally meaningless for real world driving of course) between the 7 an 8 BUT with the exact same tires on both.

I like that despite Cammisa's very obvious VW bias that he makes VERY clear at the beginning of the video, he still proceeds to rip the Mk8 to shreds. 

The man tells it as it is. 

Then again, maybe he's just looking to stir up controversy and get views.  I doubt it, though.
seems pretty genuine to me...videos are very well done too (cinematically).

Considering how scripted these videos are, I'm sure he could have given it 100% praise and still sounded genuine. Acting is acting. ;)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8755118/bio

So he has an IMDB page. What was your point?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 07:05:44 pm »
Tough one for me to watch.

Always great to have your opinion on here. Please don't stop giving it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 07:22:45 pm »
It looks low slung and aggressive in the sheetmetal in a way that the Mk7 never did, which I feel suits the GTI & Golf R well.

"Aggressive" and VW?  :rofl: :rofl2:  Are you sure you didn't mean to type "Staid".   ;D

I've never thought "aggressive" about any recent VW....and I suspect it will be the case for me and this new GTI.  But who knows...maybe this one might change my tune.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 07:25:41 pm »
" These clearly didn't realize there's an easy, customizable shortcut menu giving direct access to basically anything you want - including ESC defeat."

This is key and at the same time, quite excellent.

I would buy the new MK8 GTI without hesitation because I do believe you can get used to interior controls.  I know the improvements in overall performance has been substantial, with increases in driving feel, improvements in ride, and considerably quicker in a straight line.

Yea, I'm not overly concerned with touchsnreen controls IF there's redundant controls on the wheel or a simple button for "most" things you'd need to do.  For example, I have the giant display on my Prime.  I can control everything with it.  However, most everything can be control via the steering wheel..and the things that can't there's a redundant physical button (HVAC hotter/colder for example).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 07:46:11 pm »
Imagine 14-15 seconds before you can do ANYTHING at all with any controls?  On a daily basis, it would be excruciating.
yea, that really makes no sense...my guess is, it needs a better processor or more RAM??...if that's the case, VW should have spent the extra $100 and make it run silky smooth.
My Volvo the same, needs a decent cpu and more memory. Assuming there is an   I5 or the equivalent Ryzen or even an M1 that could stand the temperature extremes in a car  that would do it!   Just for infotainment. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 07:51:42 pm »
@Patrick_D1.     The GTi infotainment I guess is much the same on the BTi and the R.    I have seen many Youtubes on the R and it looks manageable to me.

My complaint is really simple ( for GTI and R)      Who at VW hates Tornado Red?    and please can they be fired!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 08:01:20 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:18:11 pm by dougjp »

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 08:33:54 pm »

"Aggressive" and VW?  :rofl: :rofl2:  Are you sure you didn't mean to type "Staid".   ;D

I've never thought "aggressive" about any recent VW....and I suspect it will be the case for me and this new GTI.  But who knows...maybe this one might change my tune.

:rofl2: OK, I'll clarify that aggressive here is a relative term.

This is key and at the same time, quite excellent.

I would buy the new MK8 GTI without hesitation because I do believe you can get used to interior controls.  I know the improvements in overall performance has been substantial, with increases in driving feel, improvements in ride, and considerably quicker in a straight line.

That's very much my impressions so far. Really does feel like a good evolution in the driving experience. As for the rest, like I said above, once you're past a certain learning curve (and with the new North American software) a lot of the frustrations are far overshadowed by the driving experience.

But this is the part that saddens me, because of this "learning curve" and some of the design choices, feedback like in this video is also to be expected. It will invariably scare some people off. Which is a shame, because it's a really great car. But to each their own, no judgment here!

For the folks with a Mk7.5 GTI, I can completely understand why they'd want to hold on. The new car has elements they might not like, and the performance isn't THAT much greater in any one area.

But, I think the R will be a different story. The power gap from old to new is greater, with the Mk8 running low twelves out of the box... it's a monster. Pair that with the chassis improvements and, crucially, the trick rear differential? It brings a whole new experience.

@Patrick_D1.     The GTi infotainment I guess is much the same on the BTi and the R.    I have seen many Youtubes on the R and it looks manageable to me.

My complaint is really simple ( for GTI and R)      Who at VW hates Tornado Red?    and please can they be fired!

Identical interiors in both cars save for the seats (R gets Nappa leather vs. regular grain leather in GTI) and some graphics (R gets a bespoke gauge layout in R mode).

Hear you on the Tornado Red - the new King's Red is nice (twin-stage metallic), but Tornado never goes out of style.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 09:17:19 pm »
Just watched the video. OMG, that Scirocco in the garage :drool:

Interesting take, would like to try one myself to see how I felt about it but being a button and knob lover, I'm already bias already.

I'd like to see track times (which is totally meaningless for real world driving of course) between the 7 an 8 BUT with the exact same tires on both.

I like that despite Cammisa's very obvious VW bias that he makes VERY clear at the beginning of the video, he still proceeds to rip the Mk8 to shreds. 

The man tells it as it is. 

Then again, maybe he's just looking to stir up controversy and get views.  I doubt it, though.
seems pretty genuine to me...videos are very well done too (cinematically).

Considering how scripted these videos are, I'm sure he could have given it 100% praise and still sounded genuine. Acting is acting. ;)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8755118/bio

So he has an IMDB page. What was your point?

Just that he is an actor? Its a follow up link, isn't that clear?

Wasn't clear to me as anybody in film can have an IMDB page. I have a buddy that was a personal assistant to Johnny Depp for a film and he has an IMDB page.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 09:20:28 pm »

For the folks with a Mk7.5 GTI, I can completely understand why they'd want to hold on. The new car has elements they might not like, and the performance isn't THAT much greater in any one area.

Who to believe  ;D

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 09:22:46 pm »
Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

I hate using the touch screen when I'm on the 401. Even changing my focus to the screen for the split second attention span, bothers me. I'm so used to using buttons, that when driving, I adjust volume, stations and source using the buttons on my infotainment automatically. It's funny, but I never use the steering wheel controls, because 9 times out of ten, I don't think about them. I use the wheel controls for the cruise control, and the on/off button for the hands free voice activation only. All my HVAC controls are rotating knobs.

So for me, my comfort level when driving, is physical controls. The thought of touch screen controls while driving bothers me. Some day, I will have to get used to them. That is the future. But not today for me.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 09:34:07 pm »

Who to believe  ;D

Note I said in any one area. As a whole, the changes do all add up to quite a difference. Whether this is enough for some is the question. I just meant that unlike R where the difference in straight-line performance is huge, this is a case of incremental improvement across the board.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2021, 10:52:34 pm »

Who to believe  ;D

Note I said in any one area. As a whole, the changes do all add up to quite a difference. Whether this is enough for some is the question. I just meant that unlike R where the difference in straight-line performance is huge, this is a case of incremental improvement across the board.

Oh come on, I put a big  ;D in there. Plus I'm a big GTI fan and probably the forums longest running GTI owner at 13 years now.

Serious question. Are the USA reps not telling reviewers that the system will be faster than this test model? Just seems that everybody loves to harp on and on about it. Same with the heated steering wheel button but I've now watched two driving videos (this one and the one I will post below) and in neither did they once hit the button. Guess it can't be that bad. Also, with the one below, seems like making a mountain out of a molehill because I don't think people are turning ESC off so frequently it becomes annoying.  Next to being stuck in snow or hitting the track, I doubt it even makes a difference in normal driving.

I was envious of the low revs at hwy speeds though. That alone would be worth the upgrade for me.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2pjTnaqrEY

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2021, 10:58:37 pm »

Totally this.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that the outrage is to gather views/following. 

Doesn't mean he's not wrong.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2021, 12:08:02 am »
Car and Driver thought it was a significant performance improvement:

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-gti

5.1 seconds to 60 is booking it with a FWD car.

But 0-60 is meaningless to me as I already have a hard time getting past 2500 rpm in traffic.  ;)  Plus being 0.7 seconds faster with much better rubber isn't amazing IMO. Also, will factory cars actually get Bridgestone Potenza S005 tires?

BTW, MT only got 5.4 to 60.

Not only is the new GTI quicker in a straight line, we credit its electronically controlled limited-slip differential and brake-based torque vectoring for an uptick in entertainment value.

I thought the 7.5 also had this or does the 8 get a new and improved version?

The new GTI grows by an inch overall and sees its wheelbase stretch by 0.6 inch, which only furthers its impressive passenger accommodations and cargo space.

I can't stop laughing at impressive cargo space.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 12:15:55 am »

But 0-60 is meaningless to me as I already have a hard time getting past 2500 rpm in traffic.  ;)

Then why do you need a GTI?

Get a Prius.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2021, 12:21:18 am »

But 0-60 is meaningless to me as I already have a hard time getting past 2500 rpm in traffic.  ;)

Then why do you need a GTI?

Get a Prius.

I've thought about it but would get the Prime if going that route.

EDIT:  FTR I think the GTI is not about 0-60 times but more about being a fun and playful hatch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:24:19 am by quadzilla »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2021, 05:26:15 am »

The C/D test track runs downhill with a perpetual tail wind.  This is known.  How else to explain that they always manage to clock the fastest 0-60 time on any new car?  ;D

As for the center stack, VW isn't alone but is clearly leading the charge in eradicating all buttons / toggles / knobs / switches from cars.  While it wouldn't stop me from buying a GTI, I absolutely detest this from a functional point of view.  It's a trend that needs to die.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:30:23 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2021, 08:25:16 am »
Car and Driver thought it was a significant performance improvement:

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-gti

5.1 seconds to 60 is booking it with a FWD car.

But 0-60 is meaningless to me as I already have a hard time getting past 2500 rpm in traffic.  ;)  Plus being 0.7 seconds faster with much better rubber isn't amazing IMO. Also, will factory cars actually get Bridgestone Potenza S005 tires?

Not only is the new GTI quicker in a straight line, we credit its electronically controlled limited-slip differential and brake-based torque vectoring for an uptick in entertainment value.

I thought the 7.5 also had this or does the 8 get a new and improved version?

The new GTI grows by an inch overall and sees its wheelbase stretch by 0.6 inch, which only furthers its impressive passenger accommodations and cargo space.

I can't stop laughing at impressive cargo space.

You are on fire tonight!

The MK8 also hits 100 mph almost 2 seconds quicker and through the quarter 5 mph faster.  The street start is 1 second quicker. That ain’t due to the rubber.

I thought you would enjoy that.  :)

I agree about the 100 mph and quarter but I do feel that tires can make a big difference even on street starts. At least that I what I have experienced with my GTI which has less power than this new one.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2021, 08:35:40 am »
I think what bothers me the most about the new GTI is the needless break from tradition in a couple of area. They may seem minor but getting rid of the golf ball shifter and no longer offering Tornado Red bugs me.