Author Topic: Tire Storage?  (Read 11908 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Tire Storage?
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:43:22 am »
Does anyone else in here use the tire storage service from a local shop (tire shop, dealer, etc)?

I'll need to get some winter tires/rims in a couple of months and we're getting sick of doing the swaps every spring/fall on each car.  We're thinking of using that service, but geez, it adds up fast.  The place I bought my last set of tires from charges $70/swap, the dealer charges $80/swap.  Since we have two cars, and they'd need to be done every spring and fall, that's $250-$300+ every year for storage.  While I really like the convenience aspect of it, that's a lot of money every year to store tires.

Part of my problem is I can't lift the tires as I have a bad back so my wife always has to do it.  Not as big of an issue when we had the smaller tires before (Focus, Rio5, etc), but now we have 2 SUVs with larger tires (18-19") so they're getting pretty heavy.  I also hate transporting them back and forth as they can get the interior dirty with dirt, brake dust, etc, and sometimes they move around a bit and I'm always concerned if they shift and damage something (or worse, get in an accident and end up getting killed/injured by a tire hitting me).

I'm kind of talking myself into using it, but am having trouble convincing myself due to the cost.  Anyone else bite the bullet here too?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Tire Storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:48:35 am »
Look at it as just another yearly 'convenience' fee.  You're not paying for the tire storage, you're paying to not have to transport them, lift them into their cradles, and also paying not to have to switch over the tires yourself. 

You COULD do it yourself, and save the $250-$300 for both cars.  Same as you COULD do your own oil changes.  But you pay to get that done by the dealer, because it's a pain in the ass, right?

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 11:51:22 am »
I grumble to myself about the storage cost every single time, but not a chance I'll go back to lugging them back and forth again

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:57:28 am »
I used to pay $40 a month to have my hockey gear stored at the rink. They aired it out and had my gear ready at the rink before every game. 100% worth it. Then I could bus myself to the rink if I wanted and didn't have to worry about storing gear in my tiny condo.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 12:00:12 pm »
Sounds like this is a service that you require dj.  Does the $70-80 include storage and swap?  Seems like a great deal if that's the case.

Luckily for me my back is still healthy and I also have two strong young kids at home.  I also view it as a chance to inspect other components when swapping.  If I was in your situation I would likely suck up the cost and have it done.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:06:19 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 12:03:37 pm »
My shop stores tires for customers, all barcoded in the basement. We charge $99/season for the storage. MANY customers take us up on the service, makes swapping out tire sets a breeze. I store mine here too, we use cardboard and foam in between the rims when asked, and hardware is always kept with the rims (locks, aftermarket lugs, etc.). Such services are worth it in convenience for many.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:07:14 pm »
ok...you guys are making me feel a bit better about it...i guess i am saving some money in gas so using some of it towards tire storage could be worth it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 12:17:53 pm »
I did it due to a lack of storage space at our place in Ottawa. It was worth it (Civic Motors).
the space part is also an advantage (that i forgot to mention, but did consider).

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:22:39 pm »
Lots of talk about convenience, but IMO having to book an appointment during tire swap season and take the car to the shop and wait around isn’t exactly convenient.

I’d much rather do it myself, but if you have a bad back or live in a condo with no storage, then I guess there’s no choice. And I guess if you’re paying for the tire swaps anyway, may as well pay a bit extra for the storage.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:25:19 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 12:37:33 pm »
I will most likely be getting a set of winters, already have the alloys that seem to fit. I figured in the future if my back gets worse, I will use all-weather tires which are three-peak-mountain rated winter tires. General 365AW for example.

But so far I don't mind doing wheel swaps as that allows me to check on brakes and suspension components.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
Sounds like this is a service that you require dj.  Does the $70-80 include storage and swap?  Seems like a great deal if that's the case

That would be a great deal, usually it's $70-80 for each swap, plus $75 and up for storage

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 02:12:14 pm »
Sounds like this is a service that you require dj.  Does the $70-80 include storage and swap?  Seems like a great deal if that's the case.
no, that's just the storage...i already pay for the swap (or it's included with a service package anyway).

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 02:51:49 pm »
Lots of talk about convenience, but IMO having to book an appointment during tire swap season and take the car to the shop and wait around isn’t exactly convenient.

I’d much rather do it myself, but if you have a bad back or live in a condo with no storage, then I guess there’s no choice. And I guess if you’re paying for the tire swaps anyway, may as well pay a bit extra for the storage.

Agree with all of this. My Civic wheels are nice and light, the Acadia, not so much.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 03:34:22 pm »
Had great success with All Weather tires on the AWD Audi.

Decided to try them on the Prime. Not bad IMO.

I think there might be a person or two using them on their cars here.

I'll probably keep going this way...the tech will only get better and better.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 06:35:33 pm »
i let my wife know what you guys said and she agrees...just pay it and be done with it...as much as it pains me to spend it on that, smokers spend that a month in cigarettes or people who drink may spend that every couple of months in booze.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 06:36:58 pm »
i let my wife know what you guys said and she agrees...just pay it and be done with it...as much as it pains me to spend it on that, smokers spend that a month in cigarettes or people who drink may spend that every couple of months in booze.

Fixed that for ya  :)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 06:59:39 pm »
For the record, we offer tire storage at the shop. I'd say 90% of our tire change clients that have a tire+rim combo use the service. Fewer clients that have just tires on their own go for it.

We outsource to a pretty big tire storage company, who charges us $95 or $96 per season. We don't mark that up, and pass that cost onto the client.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 07:16:11 pm »

Fixed that for ya  :)
i was giving people wiggle room.  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 05:10:19 am »
I have left the seasonal swap and storage to one of our local shops  even since I moved to Guelph.  All our tires have been on their own rims.
 Worth it to know that they are kept properly and swapped around f-r as they should be.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 06:11:29 am »
I strore both sets at the shop I purchased them from.. its $100 per set per season which includes the swap.. much better then having 8 tires and rims sitting in my garage