Author Topic: RRocket's 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60  (Read 26299 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: RRocket's 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2022, 02:20:04 pm »
I wonder what used RC-F values will be doing in the next couple years...

Could be a great compromise car.
Have looked! Pricing currently bonkers..but hoping pricing comes down.

But...I'm kinda, sorta, considering something with AWD this time around. Not a deal breaker of course...but maybe something I can drive a bit more during the winter months.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2022, 02:26:09 pm »
Sorry to hear it's gone, but you must have done well in this market

Looking forward to what you get next!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2022, 02:26:42 pm »
Sad day today....sold the car and it drove away with its new owner, some guy from Toronto.

With my bad back, limited driving it this year because of back and crazy market value, I decided to sell. Heart said keep, brain said sell. Brain won out. [emoji22]

Easily #2 of the best cars I've ever owned. It felt special, sounded amazing and was spectacular to drive! Will really, really miss it.

Not sure what's next..but not something super-low that my back will hate.
A tough decision indeed.  But it is likely a great time to let it go and put that money aside for something else down the line.  I know you loved the LC500, but it likely too is a bit too low to the ground.  I don't see the IS500 feeling special enough.  I won't be shocked to see a Macan be your next "fun car", which in all honesty, is not the giant step down that it is from some sports cars to CUV.

Edit: was there a reason you didn't mention it was for sale on here?  Maybe someone might have been interested.
The LC biggest problem for me is the cost. Used ones are mid $80k. Too rich for my blood!!

And yes, I REALLY like the Macan...feels more hot hatch than CUV to me.

I reached out to a couple people on the board who had expressed interest or "dibs" should I sell and they weren't ready to buy. So I advertised elsewhere.

What happened to my trade idea for my SLK 55?  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2022, 02:28:45 pm »
Sad day today....sold the car and it drove away with its new owner, some guy from Toronto.

With my bad back, limited driving it this year because of back and crazy market value, I decided to sell. Heart said keep, brain said sell. Brain won out. [emoji22]

Easily #2 of the best cars I've ever owned. It felt special, sounded amazing and was spectacular to drive! Will really, really miss it.

A tough decision indeed.  But it is likely a great time to let it go and put that money aside for something else down the line.  I know you loved the LC500, but it likely too is a bit too low to the ground.  I don't see the IS500 feeling special enough.  I won't be shocked to see a Macan be your next "fun car", which in all honesty, is not the giant step down that it is from some sports cars to CUV.

Edit: was there a reason you didn't mention it was for sale on here?  Maybe someone might have been interested.
The LC biggest problem for me is the cost. Used ones are mid $80k. Too rich for my blood!!

I reached out to a couple people on the board who had expressed interest or "dibs" should I sell and they weren't ready to buy. So I advertised elsewhere.

You would have been horrified at how much money you'd have to put up! LOL [emoji38]

Although my Boxster is special and unique, I think the money I got for it was fairly crazy.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2022, 02:30:58 pm »

You would have been horrified at how much money you'd have to put up! LOL [emoji38]

I would've had to cancel my wedding & honeymoon to France... I'm sure Bella would've understood  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2022, 02:32:49 pm »

I would've had to cancel my wedding & honeymoon to France... I'm sure Bella would've understood  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well yes!

Priorities!!

It's not like you're slumming it in an SLK55 though!!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2022, 02:41:02 pm »
It's not like you're slumming it in an SLK55 though!!

Nope, no complaints... the cold start of that N/A V8 is sweet, sweet music!! Put the winter wheels on last weekend & gave it a good cleaning inside & out, so it's ready to be driven on nicer winter days, like today if I wish. Only thing is not having 3 pedals sucks... at least Bella's 323i & both boys Mazda 3's have 3 pedals  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2022, 02:55:08 pm »
Congrats on the sale, sounds like you did really well on it! Time to move into a CUV old man  ;)

Someone else mentioned it, but an RC-F would be a really nice balance between practicality, luxuriousness and sportiness. I remember having the presser back in 2017 and it's one of the more memorable testers I've had. Commuted in it all week and was perfectly happy with the comfort/practicality.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2022, 02:58:36 pm »
I wonder what used RC-F values will be doing in the next couple years...

Could be a great compromise car.
Have looked! Pricing currently bonkers..but hoping pricing comes down.

But...I'm kinda, sorta, considering something with AWD this time around. Not a deal breaker of course...but maybe something I can drive a bit more during the winter months.

A Macan sounds like the natural choice...

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2022, 04:37:55 pm »
Glad you got good money, but I get the sting seeing them drive away, even when you know it’s the right thing!

I really don’t think I’d feel much loss if I had to go to just the Macan, I love driving it and it does everything so well (including fun when you feel like it).  There is something of an event driving a sports car in the perfect situation that you can’t replicate, especially a convertible, but it’s hard to find a better all rounder than the Macan.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2022, 07:02:25 pm »

Sucks, man. 

How about a PT Cruiser!   :rofl2:   :o   :run:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2022, 08:41:08 pm »

Now you're just being cruel.   ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2022, 08:42:35 pm »

LOL, you can get one with a Turbo and a drop top...It's basically a Porsche.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2022, 08:45:30 pm »

LOL, you can get one with a Turbo and a drop top...It's basically a Porsche.  :rofl2:

You mean a 597??

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2022, 08:46:51 pm »

You mean a 597??

Whatever cranks your hawg  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2022, 07:53:15 am »
When I saw this thread pop up I was thinking that you sold the car. Sad day for sure but I'm not surprised. Looking forward to what you get next but until then, you have the Prius Prime to keep you happy and entertained.

Maybe buy this soundbar with your new found money.  I'll say it first, damn that is one ugly sound bar.

https://www.porsche-design.com/us/en/porsche-design-shop/shop/electronics/sound/speaker/wap0509110nsdb-911-soundbar-2.0-pro/?variationCode=WAP0509110NSDB

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:21 am »
 :rofl: I'd like it, but for my wife it would be a $12,000 wagon wheel coffee table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCoKZNFftk8

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2022, 04:57:10 pm »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2022, 05:02:54 pm »
Keep in mind with any six-cylinder Macan, they're known to have bore scoring, connecting rod failure and requiring rebuild/replacement. I didn't actually know much about this before starting to work where I do, and I'm baffled at the sheer number of Macans we see coming in needing engines. Motors aren't cheap either - many used motors are already knocking/timing chain slap. I love the idea of the Macan too, but I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole knowing what I know. Same goes for earlier V8 Cayennes.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2022, 09:56:19 pm »
Keep in mind with any six-cylinder Macan, they're known to have bore scoring, connecting rod failure and requiring rebuild/replacement. I didn't actually know much about this before starting to work where I do, and I'm baffled at the sheer number of Macans we see coming in needing engines. Motors aren't cheap either - many used motors are already knocking/timing chain slap. I love the idea of the Macan too, but I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole knowing what I know. Same goes for earlier V8 Cayennes.
So that means the same thing is happening with Panameras? Same engine and all.

Having spent plenty of time on the forums I do read about the occasional engine repair being required...but really no different than my time in the Boxster or 911 forum (apart from IMS talk) It is perplexing how bore scoring can even be possible in a modern engine. But for whatever reason it's an issue for Porsche. No rhyme or reason either. Some get it some don't.

Of more immediate concern would be the cam cover or valve cover gaskets for me since they all seem to leak at some point.

I'd be paying attention to transfer case too.

But really, I'm not close at all to knowing what I'll be driving next.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:23:03 pm by rrocket »