Author Topic: Hannibal's 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad in Barcelona Red  (Read 15173 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Hannibal's 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad in Barcelona Red
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 08:17:37 am »
Congrats! I was looking forward to a Trail loaner - also a 5-seater - but the four women of the house vetoed going on a roadtrip with a 2-row. I deffered that one to later in August, will roadtrip with an Explorer.

How is it back there with 3 passengers?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 08:30:27 am »
Nice whip! (right?)  I find the Ltd's unattractive for some reason, but this one looks nice.  Gotta be a wheel thing. I mean they're the same otherwise right?
Did you get it at MSRP or stealershipped:o :o

Thanks gents. And apologies for the crappy pictures. I never know what size to upload on this site…I suck

Set up an Imgur account and use the img tags (BBCode (message boards & forums)) and then it shouldn't matter, plus it's also quicker than trying to figure out all the sizes and crap from your phone/computer when doing attachments.  And then you won't suck anymore!  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 08:45:45 am »
Nice whip! (right?)  I find the Ltd's unattractive for some reason, but this one looks nice.  Gotta be a wheel thing. I mean they're the same otherwise right?

Thanks gents. And apologies for the crappy pictures. I never know what size to upload on this site…I suck

Set up an Imgur account and use the img tags (BBCode (message boards & forums)) and then it shouldn't matter, plus it's also quicker than trying to figure out all the sizes and crap from your phone/computer when doing attachments.  And then you won't suck anymore!  ;D

Not a Limited - it's a TRD Off-Road.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2021, 08:48:45 am »
Brilliant.  One of the last true SUV's available for purchase.  Probably why they still sell as many as they do. 

My BIL is still very happy with his 2010.  He wants to buy a half-ton to pull his trailer longer distances as the 4Runner is a little small for that, but he's planning on keeping the 4Runner.  So far, at 11 years old (purchased used in 2016) it has given him exactly zero problems. 

There was a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-Road in white in the campsite opposite from us.  It's a very sharp looking vehicle, especially in white.  Looks like a storm trooper!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 09:24:33 am »
Great color and a proper SUV. I tested a Trail (super base) back in the winter and I loved it in the snow....hated the fact that it had manual climate controls and no heated steering wheel, but I am pretty sure the TRD would have those.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:50 am »
Nice!  I love the purpose built aspect of the 4Runner.

I was reading this ranking by C&D where the 4Runner came dead last.   It made me laugh.  The fact that it's the worst option for 99% of the people, but the best option for the 1% really sums it up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g8525152/best-midsize-suv/
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 09:39:45 am »

I was reading this ranking by C&D where the 4Runner came dead last.   It made me laugh.  The fact that it's the worst option for 99% of the people, but the best option for the 1% really sums it up.

Oh, yeah, in almost every 'objective' category, it's worse than it's Crossover competitors.  Subjectively, though....there's just something about it.  Body-on-frame means it's far more robust, too - even than Toyota's own competitor in the segment, the Highlander. 

ltruong

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 09:46:09 am »

Oh, yeah, in almost every 'objective' category, it's worse than it's Crossover competitors.  Subjectively, though....there's just something about it.  Body-on-frame means it's far more robust, too - even than Toyota's own competitor in the segment, the Highlander.

Yup one of the last body on frame.  Nice buy!   back window rolls down for puppies, that's a +

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 09:48:30 am »

For 99.9% of people the better choice would be the limited and then ditch those goofy 20" wheels back to something reasonable. The Limited looks awful with those tall narrow wheels.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 09:50:00 am »
Love that colour.  Great truck.  Congrats!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 10:04:57 am »
Great color and a proper SUV. I tested a Trail (super base) back in the winter and I loved it in the snow....hated the fact that it had manual climate controls and no heated steering wheel, but I am pretty sure the TRD would have those.

It has auto climate and heated seats, but not a heated steering wheel (not available on any 4Runner).
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 10:10:47 am »
Congrats! I was looking forward to a Trail loaner - also a 5-seater - but the four women of the house vetoed going on a roadtrip with a 2-row. I deffered that one to later in August, will roadtrip with an Explorer.

How is it back there with 3 passengers?

Its not bad. We need to get a roof rack for the times we all travel together. But it’s no minivan as far as room is concerned, but we knew that going in. Fact is our oldest will have his license soon and we just don’t often have everyone in the van.

It’s a trade off and I really wanted my wife to have a cool interesting vehicle. And she loves it, and that means a lot to me.

Worst case this ends up my winter “beater” lol…but I don’t think she’s letting go of it :)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:41 am »
Congratulations. The 4Runner looks so awesome. I am sure you will enjoy years of trouble free driving with it.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 10:31:54 am »

I know...but also didn't want to write a wall...it's not diction,  :think: but improper and incomplete thought structure...whatever that's called...  Lazy?  ??? ;D I meant to say I don't find the Ltd's appealing, at all.  The TRD's though...shi# I even saw one with black wheels and I liked it.  And I don't like black wheels.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:31 am »

I know...but also didn't want to write a wall...it's not diction,  :think: but improper and incomplete thought structure...whatever that's called...  Lazy?  ??? ;D I meant to say I don't find the Ltd's appealing, at all.  The TRD's though...shi# I even saw one with black wheels and I liked it.  And I don't like black wheels.

My bad.  I misread.  With a 4Runner, the TRD Off-Road is the one to get.  The Limited is too 'luxury', which it doesn't do too well.  If you want luxury, get a Telluride.  At least the TRD Off-Road keeps the 4Runner true to its roots and what it really is, which is a second-to-none adventure vehicle.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2021, 10:57:22 am »

Very interesting... Passport came in 5th somehow  :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 11:00:11 am »

Very interesting... Passport came in 5th somehow  :o

Out of 23, that's pretty good!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 11:38:55 am »
Congrats! Looks great in red too.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 01:00:56 pm »
Congrats on your newer wheels!

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=96609.msg1571777#msg1571777
One on the list of recommendation: "Place vehicle key fob inside a radio frequency shielding bag when not in use"

^^Let me guess, most were Toyota Highlanders and Lexus RXs
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 03:57:19 pm »
Nice purchase buddy, that thing is awesome!! If the wife would have gone for the Offroad or TRD Pro, we would have gone with a 4Runner as well, but I can't stand the front bumper, wheels and chrome trim of the Limited, yours looks great.
Lighten up Francis.....