Author Topic: Bear vs Enduro bike  (Read 2856 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Bear vs Enduro bike
« on: July 04, 2021, 12:37:44 am »
I posted this in another forum but thought it may be of interest. I have included the crappy wolverine picture but not the scenic ones as I don't have a hosting site and I don't want to resize. This happened in the Columbia valley near Jumbo glacier and the resort of Panorama. As I mentioned in the story there has been two grizzly mauling's this spring near Calgary and a distant friend of mines sister was mauled (died) downhill mtb biking at Panorama about 10 years ago. Carry bear spray where you can get at it..

The story:

Does anyone have a good setup for a bear spray holster on their handlebars? When it the bush I carry one on my backpack (in case I need to walk out) but I learned a few days ago that bear spray that you cannot access quick is useless.

Due to extreme heat I did a late solo evening trip on some mellow but remote two tracks / bush roads. In the valley at 7:00pm the temp was around 40C (104 F) and it felt like a blast furnace the plan was to get some elevation (up to 6000-7000') and hopefully that and the glaciers and their creeks would bring the temp to something reasonable. It was glorious, much cooler up in the mountains.

Unfortunately my ultimate destination was out of reach due to a glacial stream washing out the road. Being solo and late in the evening it was not worth the risk. I hadn't seen a soul in over 20kms.

Tomorrow I would ride to the ridge on the right in this picture (around 9000-10000' I believe)

The next morning I woke early at 5:45am, gassed the bike and headed off to gain some serious altitude. The temp was already at 22C (72F) and climbing. I was solo so I was consciously riding at a moderate pace and enjoying the morning. On this usually busy trail again I saw no one. About 18km up the abandoned mining road things got interesting....

First I came across something I have never seen before in the wild. It was a medium grey wolverine ambling along the road edge. He seemed pre-occupied  and didn't pay me much attention. I stopped, fumbled for my phone and got this crappy pic.  I had heard horror stories about these things being viscous so I planned to ride past him at pace and keep going. In hindsight there was a reason on why the Wolverine seemed preoccupied (you NEVER see these things, they are solitary and avoid humans). I  rolled the throttle, went around the bend of the road in the pic and nearly crapped my Klims... Smack dab in the middle of the road about 30 yds away was a rather large bear standing on a kill. (Sorry no pic, I was crapping my pants lol)  Worse the bear hadn't noticed me (I was downwind)  and when he did he immediately stood on two legs and sniffed to air to see what I was. I was strangely calm and could see that he was just identifying me. He looked to be about 8' tall (I am about 6'5" with boots and helmet and he looked a good foot taller.) I He then dropped down and swung his head side to side. I didn't get a good feeling about that but I think it meant "My kill you F off!" I blipped my throttle a few times while backing the bike up and sideways so I could throttle my way out the way I came which I did... The wolverine had either been driven from the kill or was poking around to see if he could steal some.

First time in 3 decades of riding in the woods of riding up on a grizzly. My timing couldn't have been worse: Isolated road, solo and bear sitting on a kill.  Had the bear decided to charge I was in dire shape. He didn't seem real fazed about the engine noise. Bear spray strapped to the back does nothing here. So back to my original question. Does anyone have a good way of securing a spray holster on their bars? I am a little nervous days later but not at the time. There has been two grizzly mauling fatalities in my area this spring and that has been in the back of my mind. Oh yeah the crappy wolverine pic, he is in the middle on the left side of the road. To topit all off as I was riding back down a moose came out of the bush beside me and nearly gave me a heart attack at first. F me, enough riding for the day!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
Re: Bear vs Enduro bike
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 12:38:50 am »
some pics:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 12:39:35 am »
pics

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 12:40:09 am »
pic

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 03:50:09 am »
Yep...head swinging is a type of threat display.

Glad you're safe.

If you have spray on the handlebars, what happens if you get separated from your bike (fall off)?

Is there a way to carry it directly on your person?

I used to carry ice pics on a shoulder mount on my sled for easy access.

Sorry..I don't have much to offer, as it's not an issue for me.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 06:19:20 am »
Fack me - that kind of riding excitement I do NOT need!!  :o :o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 09:02:12 am »
More click bate headlines. The bear didn't even attack the bike. You should write for AT :rofl2:

Nothing like coming up on a bear with a kill to get the blood flowing. Be happy you were on a motorbike vs having to pedal. Glad you are safe and all turned out well.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 09:56:42 am »
More click bate headlines. The bear didn't even attack the bike. You should write for AT :rofl2:

Nothing like coming up on a bear with a kill to get the blood flowing. Be happy you were on a motorbike vs having to pedal. Glad you are safe and all turned out well.

I think the added noise/bulk of the motorbike helped for sure (to make oneself look bigger) although it would haver been easier to get a mtb turned around and I would never have closed at that type of speed . A mtb is super stealthy and I can see how they can surprise wildlife. I was probably doing 40-50 km/h when I jammed the brakes so I was closing fast! I always assumed that the noise of an enduro would scare things off but perhaps this guy was hard of hearing.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 03:20:03 pm »
A wolverine, a grizzly, and a moose on one trip, my goodness. I've never seen a wolverine in my life yet

And a motorcycle is so up close and personal!

Not sure where you'd keep bear spray on a dirt bike, needs to be a spot it doesn't get the valve knocked off if you go over, or get too hot, etc. That would ruin a day pretty good too. Someone at ADVrider must have set something up

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 03:40:43 pm »
How close do u have to be to a bear in order for bear spray to reach and do some damage as opposed to just pissing it off?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 05:23:41 pm »
Depends on the wind direction  :rofl2:

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 05:42:25 pm »
How close do u have to be to a bear in order for bear spray to reach and do some damage as opposed to just pissing it off?
Railton
My bro is a geologist.

When he was a junior geologist, he'd get sent to the middle of nowhere to do detailed mapping..places not mapped accurately..bodies of water with no names (he's named a few).

So he'd run into wildlife often, including bears.

I asked him what he used. He said "bear bangers". According to him, more effective than spray and can be used from much greater distances..which I think I'd prefer! LOL [emoji38]

He also said it's about the size of a pencil.

I used to wear a fanny pack on the bike. I figure one of these would fit easily and easy access on/off the bike.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 05:44:07 pm by rrocket »

ltruong

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
Crazy that you saw a wolverine.  I heard they can be vicious and fearless, taking down deers and mooses.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 06:07:44 pm »
Brother in law was issued a short barrelled shotgun for bears when working in the bush. Easier on an ATV, although....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpAqQwG8HxM

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 06:40:59 pm »
Gosh glad you're ok.  :o Dirt riding is safer than street riding they say. Bears are a huge nope for me.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 07:00:02 pm »
Railton
My bro is a geologist.

When he was a junior geologist, he'd get sent to the middle of nowhere to do detailed mapping..places not mapped accurately..bodies of water with no names (he's named a few).

So he'd run into wildlife often, including bears.

I asked him what he used. He said "bear bangers". According to him, more effective than spray and can be used from much greater distances..which I think I'd prefer! LOL [emoji38]

He also said it's about the size of a pencil.

I used to wear a fanny pack on the bike. I figure one of these would fit easily and easy access on/off the bike.

The wolverine was a new one for me. I have seen Grizzlies before but not that close. I did have spray mounted on my hydration pack (mostly if I have to hike out). I realized though that it needs to be grabbable in front though. No time to unclip a pack and swing it around. A bear if it decides to would close that distance before I even had the clip undone.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 09:22:40 pm »
I really think the way to go for bear is a sidearm.
Railton

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 09:38:35 pm »
The problem with bear spray is its only good from 10 meters and are affected by wind.

And a bear on the move can do 10 m/s

I don't like the math!! LOL [emoji38]

Bear bangers are good for up to 40 meters. Oh..and they can also fire emergency signal flares..which could also come in handy.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 10:42:34 pm »
The problem with bear bangers is that it is easy to overshoot such that it goes bang on the other side of the bear and you can guess where it will run. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »
Bears just like to have fun...