Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56178 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2021, 05:53:32 pm »
Why do they put auto 4x4 settings on the SUVs based on the pickup trucks and usually not the pickup trucks themselves?

I think Sierra Denali has an automatic 4x4 mode.

That's always been a peculiar thing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2021, 07:39:39 pm »
Why do they put auto 4x4 settings on the SUVs based on the pickup trucks and usually not the pickup trucks themselves?

Most GM truck have an auto 4x4 mode

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2021, 08:18:47 pm »
My Frontier doesn't have a damped tailgate either.  Seems like a fluff feature to me.  I like a simple truck.

My son's 2020 f150 xlt as no damper.  It does have the integrated  "man"  ;D step and telescoping handle.  When Ford first displayed it I laughed.  Not so much now.  However it is a really heavy tailgate and it needs a damper.  It's caught me off guard a few times and would crush the grandson's head if he was standing behind it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2021, 08:28:51 pm »

We should clear this up.  4x4 "auto" is not AWD and it is slow to react.  When in 4 auto one is still in rear wheel drive.  When the ECU detects rear wheel slip it starts to pump oil pressure inside the transfercase and it locks the drive shafts.  It's not instant.  If you're on a slippery highway select 4wd HI.

With Ford, Lariats and up get the auto 4wd.  GM seems to offer it in many lower trims.  4wd auto is primarily for wives that have no clue of what's happening.  Just stick it in 4wd auto and tell them never to touch that dial.  Some men as well.  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:51:44 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:00 pm »
^^^Thats as good of an explanation as I've ever read.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2021, 10:17:39 am »
My Frontier doesn't have a damped tailgate either.  Seems like a fluff feature to me.  I like a simple truck.

My son's 2020 f150 xlt as no damper.  It does have the integrated  "man"  ;D step and telescoping handle.  When Ford first displayed it I laughed.  Not so much now.  However it is a really heavy tailgate and it needs a damper.  It's caught me off guard a few times and would crush the grandson's head if he was standing behind it.
You can buy a damper and install, easiest DYI ever - I helped a friend with his XLT, took us 20min and $30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2021, 10:23:49 am »

We should clear this up.  4x4 "auto" is not AWD and it is slow to react.  When in 4 auto one is still in rear wheel drive.  When the ECU detects rear wheel slip it starts to pump oil pressure inside the transfercase and it locks the drive shafts.  It's not instant.  If you're on a slippery highway select 4wd HI.

With Ford, Lariats and up get the auto 4wd.  GM seems to offer it in many lower trims.  4wd auto is primarily for wives that have no clue of what's happening.  Just stick it in 4wd auto and tell them never to touch that dial.  Some men as well.  :D
4WD Auto is awesome!! I have no use for it in the summer but winter??!! It’s fantastic…I don’t need to keep flipping between 2/4hi since the truck does the job for me really well. It’s such a luxury/worry free experience knowing the truck will engage itself in 4WD when you hit a light, or it senses slippage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2021, 02:18:58 pm »

4WD Auto is awesome!! I have no use for it in the summer but winter??!! It’s fantastic…I don’t need to keep flipping between 2/4hi since the truck does the job for me really well. It’s such a luxury/worry free experience knowing the truck will engage itself in 4WD when you hit a light, or it senses slippage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol
In the summer auto 4 wd can help if you get caught driving in a down pour of rain

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2021, 03:32:47 pm »

It's mostly a gimmick.  First the abs needs to detect slippage so the vehicle is already slipping by the time pumps starting pumping pressure into the transfer case..  Usually the slippage is just momentary so by the time it's pumped up it's then receiving signals to release the pressure.  Mechanical limited slip is vastly superior in these sporadic situations.  If it's that slippery just put the unit in 4WD HI.

4wd auto is for ppl too clueless to operate the transfer case manually.  It certainly is not a substitute for AWD.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2021, 08:09:32 pm »

It's mostly a gimmick.  First the abs needs to detect slippage so the vehicle is already slipping by the time pumps starting pumping pressure into the transfer case..  Usually the slippage is just momentary so by the time it's pumped up it's then receiving signals to release the pressure.  Mechanical limited slip is vastly superior in these sporadic situations.  If it's that slippery just put the unit in 4WD HI.

4wd auto is for ppl too clueless to operate the transfer case manually.  It certainly is not a substitute for AWD.
Nope…you are assuming 4WD auto has not been modernized.

The current system system uses many other inputs, including if your wipers are on or off but really the best part is having the 4WD come on automatic every time the truck stops, so off a slippery surface - very common at lights - you take off in 4WD instead of slipping in 2WD, the going for the 4WD switch and waiting a few seconds for it to kick in, super annoying.

But under rain as well, the 4WD system will turn the front end during driving in many conditions - e.g. it’s raining, wipers are on at position 1, and you attempt to pass somebody, boom 4WD is activated…

It works marvellously, doesn’t bind and doesn’t really affect gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:13:03 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2021, 09:06:42 pm »
Firstly the "front end" doesn't get "turned on" instantly.  It's not electric.  Secondly you don't own a F150 so STFU if it's not too much bother.  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2021, 09:10:05 am »
Ah, you poor kids. Just be happy you don't have to pry open the tailgate with a screwdriver, that used to be a standard Ford feature

Lol, i saw a F-250 parked on the side of the hwy this morning and the owner guy was hammering away at his tailgate with a large boulder.  Not sure what the problem was there but it gave made me laugh. 

Maybe not such a big deal on a small truck, but I'll say, once you've had a damped tailgate, it's hard to go back.

Same. I remember the first truck I drove didn't have one and the tailgate came crashing down when I opened it, really surprised me. And I remember thinking, holy sh!t, that would kill a child!

I find it hilarious that simple, helpful, common sense stuff like this (and steps to get into the truck bed), are considered 'unmanly', like denying simple solutions is more masculine. Give me a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGI8IRXRqpo

Personally I consider a damped tailgate the same as electric windows or central locking, just table stakes.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2021, 10:49:28 am »
Nope…you are assuming 4WD auto has not been modernized.

The current system system uses many other inputs, including if your wipers are on or off but really the best part is having the 4WD come on automatic every time the truck stops, so off a slippery surface - very common at lights - you take off in 4WD instead of slipping in 2WD, the going for the 4WD switch and waiting a few seconds for it to kick in, super annoying.

But under rain as well, the 4WD system will turn the front end during driving in many conditions - e.g. it’s raining, wipers are on at position 1, and you attempt to pass somebody, boom 4WD is activated…

It works marvellously, doesn’t bind and doesn’t really affect gas mileage.

That makes sense. It's hard to believe a 4WD system from 1986 is the best they can do for a modern truck.

See the Raptor is set up for 4WD auto, so it must work in demanding conditions

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2021, 03:15:25 pm »
Ah, you poor kids. Just be happy you don't have to pry open the tailgate with a screwdriver, that used to be a standard Ford feature

Lol, i saw a F-250 parked on the side of the hwy this morning and the owner guy was hammering away at his tailgate with a large boulder.  Not sure what the problem was there but it gave made me laugh. 

Maybe not such a big deal on a small truck, but I'll say, once you've had a damped tailgate, it's hard to go back.

Same. I remember the first truck I drove didn't have one and the tailgate came crashing down when I opened it, really surprised me. And I remember thinking, holy sh!t, that would kill a child!

I find it hilarious that simple, helpful, common sense stuff like this (and steps to get into the truck bed), are considered 'unmanly', like denying simple solutions is more masculine. Give me a break.

Personally I consider a damped tailgate the same as electric windows or central locking, just table stakes.

Maybe I missed it but where was it mentioned that having this stuff is considered unmanly?  Certainly wasn't me and I would never make such a statement.    I simply said it's not a feature that really interest me.  I've driven countless pickup trucks over the 40+ years I've been driving and never once has a tailgate come crashing down on me.  Then again I've rarely used a truck with a damped tailgate so it's simply second nature for me to hold on to it while opening.  I'm sure it's one of those features that if you're used to having you wouldn't want to live without.  For me it's a solution to a problem I've never had.  Ftr, the tailgate on my truck is not that heavy. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2021, 03:52:22 pm »
Maybe I missed it but where was it mentioned that having this stuff is considered unmanly?  Certainly wasn't me and I would never make such a statement.
i don't think it was directed specifically at you...just in general.

same with people who said the Ridgeline wasn't a "real truck"...often from the crowd who have hitch balls on their trucks.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:10 pm »

Maybe I missed it but where was it mentioned that having this stuff is considered unmanly?  Certainly wasn't me and I would never make such a statement.    I simply said it's not a feature that really interest me.  I've driven countless pickup trucks over the 40+ years I've been driving and never once has a tailgate come crashing down on me.  Then again I've rarely used a truck with a damped tailgate so it's simply second nature for me to hold on to it while opening.  I'm sure it's one of those features that if you're used to having you wouldn't want to live without.  For me it's a solution to a problem I've never had.  Ftr, the tailgate on my truck is not that heavy.

Wasn't directed at you, although you did say it was a 'fluff' feature.  :rofl2:

I meant in the ads like in the link I posted.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2021, 07:14:23 pm »

Wasn't directed at you, although you did say it was a 'fluff' feature.  :rofl2:

I meant in the ads like in the link I posted.

Hah, I knew fluff was the wrong term but I had writer's block at the time.  :rofl2:   Superfluous is what i meant.  :D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2021, 09:52:42 am »
Just to clear this tailgate thing up.   Not all tailgates the same.  Taco tailgate is perfectly manageable without a damper.  However, a late model F150 with the integrated "man step" is heavy.  It needs a damper.  Ford, like all manufactures, attempts to push the customer into higher trims.  Dampered tailgate is standard on Lariat and above.  I'll install one soon only because of the grand kid.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2021, 10:49:42 am »

.  I'll install one soon only because of the grand kid.

Why, will be be loading stuff into the truck? :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2021, 12:44:48 pm »
Are tailgates injuring children all of a sudden  ???