Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56180 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2021, 12:42:00 pm »
I like this, looking forward to see the resulting Sequoia.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2021, 01:19:23 pm »
i watched a Raiti's Rides review of this in the 1794 trim...it had some underseat storage...payload mentioned was 1940 lbs...towing was 12,000 lbs.

https://youtu.be/dZJjOMccGoQ

The non hybrids have underseat storage. I wonder if one can still flip the seats up in the hybrid to say carry taller house plants, or at least not make those seats dirty.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2021, 02:46:39 pm »
i watched a Raiti's Rides review of this in the 1794 trim...it had some underseat storage...payload mentioned was 1940 lbs...towing was 12,000 lbs.

https://youtu.be/dZJjOMccGoQ

The non hybrids have underseat storage. I wonder if one can still flip the seats up in the hybrid to say carry taller house plants, or at least not make those seats dirty.
ah, that makes sense then.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2021, 04:29:36 pm »
The one video I watched said all trims tow at least 11,200lbs and there's no need to buy a "towing package".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2021, 04:33:34 pm »
Video.

The interior looks way better than what Ford offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSOXPfTKsE

That video confirms the seats in the hybrid as well as the non hybrid flips up, you just don't get storage in the hybrid.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2021, 05:56:03 pm »
Video.

The interior looks way better than what Ford offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSOXPfTKsE

What pushed you that way? The red seat belts?

For $100k it better have a nice interior.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2021, 06:17:43 pm »
Have they released pricing for the Tundra yet?

Mind you, a fully optioned out F-150 is over $90k.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2021, 07:28:51 pm »

But with the Ford you can get a hybrid XL for $40k…OR a full EV XL for $58k!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36:48 pm »
Interesting….

Toyota chose to use a nickel-metal hydride vs Ford’s lithium…

EV only mode is limited to 18mph…

And you can’t use the truck as a generator…no generator is available in any trim in fact.

And they gave intelligent reasons for those choices.

Now whether you agree with those reasons or not, that's another thing entirely.

I see merits in the ways both trucks were done.

So from what I read the tundra only has 1 electric motor and it's connected directly to the engine.??  looks like connected to the crankshaft..? it mentioned helping quite a bit on the start/stop....function..sound pretty good!

in the battery choice i think my highlander had the same Nickel type.   I remember reading alon time ago why Toyotya descided to go with nickel insteal lithium.  I think it was the cooling system required for the lithium would take too muck space on bigger vehiclke and the nickel had a longer lifespans for this applicaiton...
Yeah I think the lifespan of the Nickel type is longer and seeing as people who own trucks typically keep them longer this would make a lot of sense.
Nothing to do with that…cost and supposedly better life in cold weather, but lithium batteries are much improved now, Tesla, GM, Ford have all tacked this problem.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:45 pm »
Interesting….

And you can’t use the truck as a generator…no generator is available in any trim in fact.

So from what I read the tundra only has 1 electric motor and it's connected directly to the engine.??  looks like connected to the crankshaft..? it mentioned helping quite a bit on the start/stop....function..sound pretty good!

in the battery choice i think my highlander had the same Nickel type.   I remember reading alon time ago why Toyotya descided to go with nickel insteal lithium.  I think it was the cooling system required for the lithium would take too muck space on bigger vehiclke and the nickel had a longer lifespans for this applicaiton...
Yeah I think the lifespan of the Nickel type is longer and seeing as people who own trucks typically keep them longer this would make a lot of sense.
Nothing to do with that…cost and supposedly better life in cold weather, but lithium batteries are much improved now, Tesla, GM, Ford have all tacked this problem.

Toyota's viewpoint was the nickel batteries and their components are cheaper and easier to source.

And also cheaper and easier too recycle.

I remember reading an article that post earthquake Toyota put a lot of effort into reconsidering their supply chain to prevent shortages. Apparently this due diligence is one reason Toyota was less affected by the current chip shortage than some other manufacturers.

So this might be some of that same consideration here?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2021, 09:54:18 pm »
i think Ron has got it...cost is certainly one benefit for NiMH batteries (vs Li-Ion)...but i think the supply may also be as big a factor...if Trucks sell well, they'll need a lot of batteries, and battery production is already basically running full tilt, so mixing their battery options likely gives them better supply management.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2021, 10:17:39 pm »
i think Ron has got it...cost is certainly one benefit for NiMH batteries (vs Li-Ion)...but i think the supply may also be as big a factor...if Trucks sell well, they'll need a lot of batteries, and battery production is already basically running full tilt, so mixing their battery options likely gives them better supply management.
This isn't the exact article I read, but it touches on Toyota being more keen on their supply chain after the earthquake.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-fukushima-anniversary-toyota-in-idUSKBN2B1005

And I think most of us have read that there's a potential for battery material shortages in the future.

Staying with battery tech where Toyota already has a long established chain probably played into their decision on battery tech for this truck.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2021, 10:53:55 pm »
Ni-MH patents in automotive applications were held by Chevron up until very recently, so I'd assume where there were patents there were royalties to be paid to their holders. Once the last patents have expired, Ni-MH batteries became cost effective for Toyota when compared to other chemistries since the R&D cost have long been paid. Here's the article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_encumbrance_of_large_automotive_NiMH_batteries
TL;DR Chevron are major a-holes.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2021, 09:26:44 am »
Interesting….

My Uncle has a Tesla Model 3.  I asked him about -20C weather and the negsative effect on battery life.  He said - don't believe the BS of a 10% drop.  It is more like 40 to 50% drop.

I trust Toyota to think this through.  Effectively.

Wow, interesting.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2021, 09:46:18 am »
Interesting….

My Uncle has a Tesla Model 3.  I asked him about -20C weather and the negsative effect on battery life.  He said - don't believe the BS of a 10% drop.  It is more like 40 to 50% drop.

I trust Toyota to think this through.  Effectively.

Wow, interesting.
We should start a thread and ask EV owners on the forum what their power usage is in the winter time

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »

But with the Ford you can get a hybrid XL for $40k…OR a full EV XL for $58k!!!!!!!

Fleet only*

The $58k Lightning will be a contractor spec.

And why are you comparing pricing of base model with fully loaded?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2021, 01:11:29 pm »

Fleet only*

The $58k Lightning will be a contractor spec.

And why are you comparing pricing of base model with fully loaded?

Are you new here?  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2021, 02:20:49 pm »
what does Fleet means? can only be bought buy a company?

Yes, basically.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2021, 02:26:11 pm »

Yes, basically.
Doesn’t even one have their own company

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2021, 04:09:56 pm »

Yes, basically.
Doesn’t even one have their own company

It's pointless if you don't need one.