Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56194 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2021, 10:22:21 pm »
Like I said, no more V8…

The specs are awfully similar to Ford’s 3.5 hybrid-10 speed combo, including the hybrid design - makes me wonder….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:00 pm »
Needs a bigger grille.  [emoji14]

Also disappointed in the hybrid not using a PSD.
For some reason, I don't think truck owners would be down with a CVT-like experience

I guess we will never know  ;) I enjoyed the RX's V6 hybrid powertrain in terms of power delivery and smoothness. It doesn't have the same pronounced CVT effect that 4 cyl hybrids do and it pulls like a freight train while not being too buzzy. A large, modern, NA 4L V6 coupled to a PSD would do the trick just fine and they could also use an IRS. I think they chose to play it safe in this segment, for now.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2021, 10:29:01 pm »

Like I said, no more V8…

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2021, 10:31:28 pm »
Also disappointed in the hybrid not using a PSD.
i'm not sure that would work for a truck (towing large loads, etc).

It would most certainly work, just needs to be scaled up for extra torque and have more cooling. Between Camry, Rav/Venza and Sienna/Highlander hybrids they use THREE different variants of PSD with adjusted for weight final gear ratios and for power, "beefiness" of motor-generators, so it's been done. Again, it seems they are playing it safe since trucks bring toyota a lot of cash.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:36:21 pm by EV Dan »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2021, 10:35:08 pm »
. Again, it seems they are playing it safe since trucks bring toyota a lot of cash.

I think it's more of what typical truck owners want.

You can bet they probably did a ton of focus groups with current truck owners.

And while a PSD would certainly work and be smooth..the one thing most people tend to dislike and complain about is the constant RPM (no shifting) when accelerating.

I'd say truck people are pretty set in their ways..ie regular transmissions.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:38:05 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2021, 10:46:42 pm »
. Again, it seems they are playing it safe since trucks bring toyota a lot of cash.

And while a PSD would certainly work and be smooth..the one thing most people tend to dislike and complain about is the constant RPM (no shifting) when accelerating.

But don't "truck people" also choose between the Detroit 3? I'm not a truck guy per se, but have done landscaping with an F150 back in the day. Honestly I wouldn't care about any CVT attributes if all of a sudden the truck went twice the distance on a tank of gas. People's MMV.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2021, 12:14:06 am »
Interesting….

Toyota chose to use a nickel-metal hydride vs Ford’s lithium…

EV only mode is limited to 18mph…

And you can’t use the truck as a generator…no generator is available in any trim in fact.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2021, 01:01:16 am »
Interesting….

And you can’t use the truck as a generator…no generator is available in any trim in fact.

And they gave intelligent reasons for those choices.

Now whether you agree with those reasons or not, that's another thing entirely.

I see merits in the ways both trucks were done.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2021, 06:49:02 am »

But don't "truck people" also choose between the Detroit 3? I'm not a truck guy per se, but have done landscaping with an F150 back in the day. Honestly I wouldn't care about any CVT attributes if all of a sudden the truck went twice the distance on a tank of gas. People's MMV.
Doesn’t it depend on the discount on the hood , but things could have change since the last time I replaced my truck
I look at a Tundra in 2011 but it would been $10g more for less equipment
A Chevy LTZ extended cab , was listed at $50s and there was $15gs on the hood

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2021, 07:15:08 am »
Okay, so is anyone else a little underwhelmed by this new Tundra?  I mean I get that it targeted the number one seller in Ford F150 and the stats look like they marginally beat that standard, but I think we were all hoping that they wouldn't just marginally beat their rival, but actually push the envelope, and I don't think this really did that.  Of course being a Toyota, it'll sell, likely just as good as the old one, but will it be contending with the Detroit 3 for sales, that I don't think so.  I guess if you are happy with 4th place in the category then you did your job.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2021, 07:37:12 am »
So, a few thoughts:

Don't care for the exterior styling, although that will likely grow on me.  The RED interior (as shown in the MT article) is garish, and I wouldn't have it.  I"m wondering if it will look better in a more subdued colour?

NiMH vs Li-Ion is no big deal.  It's the kWh that really matters.  What does bother me is the battery's location under the rear seats.  I would often lift one of the rear seats and pack the cab with stuff when we went camping.  If I'm not able to do that on this new truck, I would seriously consider not going hybrid (which sucks, because anything to get better fuel economy is welcome).  Running the high voltage cables inside the cab, resulting in a hump in the floor, also sucks.  Why couldn't Toyota have put the battery between the frame rails, like Ford? 

Finally, you can get a CrewMax with a 6.5' bed.  That was on odd omission on the last gen.  The CrewMax was great, the 5.5' bed, not so much.  A foot doesn't sound like much, but it really does equal much greater volume.  If I was purchasing, I'd definitely go for the CrewMax with 6.5' bed. 

I think not having an onboard generator is a mistake.  That was a great idea by Ford.  Toyota 'says' that a generator is cheaper and easier to lug around, but the thing is, now you have to find someplace to pack it, and if you're already packing a lot of stuff, it's just one more thing to find space for.  As a consumer, let ME make the decision if I want to pay for the option or not.  I think Ford caught Toyota flat-footed on that one.  Toyota didn't have enough time to develop their own and still make their release date.

TTV6 is what it is.  I"m sure it'll have more power and torque than the V8 at all RPM ranges, but there's no way it will be as sonorous as the V8, and I doubt it will be as fun to drive.  Honestly, the V8 MADE the old Tundra what it was.  Fuel economy aside, it was a fantastic engine (and I miss it very, very much).  The addition of a 10-speed transmission might have breathed some new life into that old V8, and increased its fuel economy substantially.  Toyota could have kept it around, and I'm sure they would have sold more than a few. 

Hmmm, anything else?  Right, the rear air springs.  Good idea.  I like them.  Too bad they're not available on the TRD Off-Road/Sport models.  Those models tended to be the volume seller.  Did they give us payload numbers, in addition to the 12 000lb towing capcity?  Having a high tow capacity is useless without also having decent payload.  I'd be looking for payload to at least match Ford's.  I'm still waiting to see if a PHEV drops at all in the future.  Toyota 'says' customers don't want it, but I disagree.  I'm a customer, and I want one.  There's no way I'm the only one. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 07:40:10 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2021, 09:39:34 am »
So, a few thoughts:

Don't care for the exterior styling, although that will likely grow on me.  The RED interior (as shown in the MT article) is garish, and I wouldn't have it.  I"m wondering if it will look better in a more subdued colour?

NiMH vs Li-Ion is no big deal.  It's the kWh that really matters.  What does bother me is the battery's location under the rear seats.  I would often lift one of the rear seats and pack the cab with stuff when we went camping.  If I'm not able to do that on this new truck, I would seriously consider not going hybrid (which sucks, because anything to get better fuel economy is welcome).  Running the high voltage cables inside the cab, resulting in a hump in the floor, also sucks.  Why couldn't Toyota have put the battery between the frame rails, like Ford? 

Finally, you can get a CrewMax with a 6.5' bed.  That was on odd omission on the last gen.  The CrewMax was great, the 5.5' bed, not so much.  A foot doesn't sound like much, but it really does equal much greater volume.  If I was purchasing, I'd definitely go for the CrewMax with 6.5' bed. 

I think not having an onboard generator is a mistake.  That was a great idea by Ford.  Toyota 'says' that a generator is cheaper and easier to lug around, but the thing is, now you have to find someplace to pack it, and if you're already packing a lot of stuff, it's just one more thing to find space for.  As a consumer, let ME make the decision if I want to pay for the option or not.  I think Ford caught Toyota flat-footed on that one.  Toyota didn't have enough time to develop their own and still make their release date.

TTV6 is what it is.  I"m sure it'll have more power and torque than the V8 at all RPM ranges, but there's no way it will be as sonorous as the V8, and I doubt it will be as fun to drive.  Honestly, the V8 MADE the old Tundra what it was.  Fuel economy aside, it was a fantastic engine (and I miss it very, very much).  The addition of a 10-speed transmission might have breathed some new life into that old V8, and increased its fuel economy substantially.  Toyota could have kept it around, and I'm sure they would have sold more than a few. 

Hmmm, anything else?  Right, the rear air springs.  Good idea.  I like them.  Too bad they're not available on the TRD Off-Road/Sport models.  Those models tended to be the volume seller.  Did they give us payload numbers, in addition to the 12 000lb towing capcity?  Having a high tow capacity is useless without also having decent payload.  I'd be looking for payload to at least match Ford's.  I'm still waiting to see if a PHEV drops at all in the future.  Toyota 'says' customers don't want it, but I disagree.  I'm a customer, and I want one.  There's no way I'm the only one.
The Hybrid engine can be had in the TRD Pro model, but not the lower trims with the TRD off road "packages".  The payload number is just shy of 2,000lbs so that too has increased, I'm not sure how that compares to the competition but more is always better, especially for people who tow heavier loads.

I 100% agree that a PHEV (Prime) model should be made.  Ford is going Hybrid and Electric, where as GM is just going Electric as far as I know, so a PHEV would be unique in the segment and could be a really good seller.  I know lots of people who would love to have around 50kms of electric range but the option of having an ICE engine to take them beyond the 4-500 kms EV's typically have.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2021, 10:13:54 am »
Interesting….

And they gave intelligent reasons for those choices.

Now whether you agree with those reasons or not, that's another thing entirely.

I see merits in the ways both trucks were done.

So from what I read the tundra only has 1 electric motor and it's connected directly to the engine.??  looks like connected to the crankshaft..? it mentioned helping quite a bit on the start/stop....function..sound pretty good!

in the battery choice i think my highlander had the same Nickel type.   I remember reading alon time ago why Toyotya descided to go with nickel insteal lithium.  I think it was the cooling system required for the lithium would take too muck space on bigger vehiclke and the nickel had a longer lifespans for this applicaiton...
Yeah I think the lifespan of the Nickel type is longer and seeing as people who own trucks typically keep them longer this would make a lot of sense.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2021, 10:25:07 am »
Similar the low electric only speed compared to Ford, less draw usually means longer battery life. Ford has never been afraid of pushing the reliability envelope

Disappointed on the lack of AWD, but for some reason this does not seem to be a bit deal with most pickup owners

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2021, 10:27:26 am »
Lets see:
Ugly AF, check
huge TV glued to dash, check
extremely complicated and loaded with do dads, check
no V8, check
price tag north of $100k. check

Sounds like a modern suburb cruising truck to me. ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2021, 10:30:54 am »
Did they give us payload numbers, in addition to the 12 000lb towing capcity?  Having a high tow capacity is useless without also having decent payload.

1970 lb payload in the gas double cab SR5 configuration. I'm hoping for at least 1800 lb in the CrewMax hybrid configuration but we'll see. I agree, payload is more important than towing capacity. The rest you said (other than the available 6.5' bed on the CrewMax) is rubbish.  :surrend:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2021, 10:39:53 am »

Doesn’t it depend on the discount on the hood , but things could have change since the last time I replaced my truck
I think discounts play a role and I'm not sure to what degree the "American steel" sentiment plays a role, like with some bikers, it has to be a Harley or nothing, although in case of trucks it would be more an American thing, what with the Pearl Harbour and all.  Toyota does discount Tundras at the end of a MY, IIRC I've seen 5 grand on the hood being a regular occurrence.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2021, 11:08:51 am »
The V8 is dying and I suspect that even in the F150, this will not be an option for long.

I'm just sad to see it go.  I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a TTV6 truck, I would just miss the V8.  You of all people can appreciate how nice a V8 is...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2021, 11:33:02 am »

I think discounts play a role and I'm not sure to what degree the "American steel" sentiment plays a role, like with some bikers, it has to be a Harley or nothing, although in case of trucks it would be more an American thing, what with the Pearl Harbour and all.  Toyota does discount Tundras at the end of a MY, IIRC I've seen 5 grand on the hood being a regular occurrence.

Dealers is a huge thing too, Toyota dealers in rural areas (at least in the Prairies) are few and far between

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2021, 12:35:09 pm »
i watched a Raiti's Rides review of this in the 1794 trim...it had some underseat storage...payload mentioned was 1940 lbs...towing was 12,000 lbs.

https://youtu.be/dZJjOMccGoQ
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.