Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56198 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2021, 02:40:35 pm »
Those are actually electrical planetary transmissions
No belt and pulley

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2021, 07:12:54 pm »
Nothing's confirmed.  Look for a better version of the F150 hybrid.  Certainly will not employ the Toyota "Power Split Device" that ppl mistake for a CVT as noted.  Not to scare ppl off, Toyota calls the PSD an "e"CVT so they do confuse ppl as to what it really is

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2021, 07:29:28 pm »
It’s all speculation at this point.

Ram went mild hybrid with their eTorque setup where the electric motor merely assists the gas engine which uses a traditional automatic transmission.

Chevrolet had hybrid trucks and SUVs for a couple of years and Chrysler had hybrid Aspens as well. Both appeared to use two mode planetary type CVTs but I have to read up on it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
Something that I don't think anyone has really talked about on here yet, if the new Tundra does offer a hybrid or PHEV option, are pickup owners going to be okay with a CVT transmission?  Can a CVT handle the towing stress?
i would imagine they'd use a more conventional automatic transmission, but i'm not 100% sure...while Toyota's eCVT doesn't use pulleys and belts (it's a planetary gear set), i'm not sure how that handles TQ for towing etc...it may need a regular automatic.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2021, 12:08:28 pm »
I'd assume any electric motors for a PHEV would have to be around 200hp with a load more torque.  So you think that wouldn't be enough to keep it off road capable?  Maybe they don't have a Hybrid/PHEV off road model, maybe those models will be gas only.  The Rav4 Trail Edition is only available as a gas only.  Of course this is just speculation.

The Tundra is coming has hybrid and electric, more towards the end of decade. 

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/toyota/2022-toyota-tundra-hybrid-details/

2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid

The Toyota Tundra hybrid was hinted at in 2020. When asked by CarBuzz if there was room for a variant above TRD Pro, Sheldon Brown, the Chief Engineer at Toyota Motor North America for R&D, said, “electrification makes sense.” “Truck owners value torque and initial response,” Brown added, referring to either the pure electric or hybrid-electric Toyota pickup truck.

TNGA-F & V6 Hybrid

The next-gen Toyota Tundra would ride on the same platform as the 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser, the next-gen Toyota Prado, and the 2022 Lexus LX. Developed for body-on-frame vehicles, the ‘TNGA-F’ platform is internally called ‘F1’ and reportedly not designed for a V8 engine.

Reports say that a twin-turbo V6 hybrid powertrain developing 480 horsepower and 642 pound-feet of torque is in the works for the 2022 Lexus LX. The 2022 Toyota Tundra hybrid may feature the same powertrain, albeit with model-specific modifications for the power and torque.

The Toyota Tundra Hybrid could offer customers a nice balance of economy and power, delivering an EPA-estimated fuel economy of about 30 MPG.

Meanwhile, TFL Truck speculated more than one hybrid variant of the Tundra. A plug-in hybrid could be part of the variant mix, and if that indeed is the case, the Toyota Tundra Prime would give company to the Prius and RAV4 in the Prime family. While Toyota has said nothing about a Tundra PHEV, it has confirmed that the launch sequence in 2021, without naming the models, includes a plug-in hybrid besides two battery-electric vehicles.

Robert (Bob) Carter, Executive Vice President – Sales, Toyota Motor North America, revealed to Motor Trend that the company would offer the 2022 Tundra with two newly developed powertrains. Carter said that one of them is “a core powertrain” that offers more horsepower and torque than the outgoing model’s i-Force 5.7-liter V8.

As for the other, Carter said that it “will blow you away,” It is safe to assume that he was referring to a technologically superior powertrain, and thus, an electrified one. Could it be even more advanced than a full-hybrid powertrain, perhaps a pure electric powertrain? Possibly.

Toyota plans to expand to around 70 electrified models globally by 2025. This future lineup will feature 15 dedicated BEVs, including seven carrying the bZ (Beyond Zero) brand moniker. In addition, Toyota intends to bring electrification to its pickup truck lineup in the near future, including hybrid and BEV powertrains.

Toyota Motor at the debut of the bZ4X concept in Shanghai, April 2021

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2021, 12:21:40 pm »
Looking at what would make sense for the Tundra, will they go full hybrid/PHEV/EV and not offer a regular gas version?  If anyone can do it, it's Toyota, who has the most trusted hybrid powertrains in the world.

Now let's say the base engine is the Hybrid Turbo V6, with 450+hp and 600+torque, that would definitely make it king of the castle as far as power and likely capability.  So what would an upgraded engine look like.  Well there isn't a PHEV pickup right now, so hard to say what their target would be, but looking at recent history, Rav4 Hybrid and Rav4 Prime.  The Hybrid has 219hp and the Prime has 302hp, that's a 37.9% increase in power.  So could one assume that a PHEV/Prime model will get a large boost also, maybe not 38%, but maybe something closer to 25%, that would mean the 450hp would jump to 560+hp, which I would think could be classified as "blow you away" performance.  If we are talking about an EV, well there are a couple of trucks that will be EV's, the Rivien, new Hummer, Tesla truck, and the Ford Lightning.  So I'd assume the Tundra would likely offer more than the Ford Lightning but less that the other trucks (as all those are much more expensive and are more status symbols). 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2021, 12:30:27 pm »
So, from what I understand, the rumours are as such:

There will be a 'regular' I-Force drivetrain, which I think will be a TTV6.  Think ballpark 400hp and close to 450lb-ft of torque.  This would most likely be the 'base' engine.

Then there will be an 'I-Force Max' drivetrain, which I could see being the hybrid version of the TTV6.  Think close to 500hp and 650lb-ft of torque. 

No rumours of a PHEV in sight anywhere.  That is merely a dream (and a wish) that I would like to see.  Toyota has zero indication that they'll be going that route - other than the fact that they're starting to do PHEV on more and more of their vehicles. 

As far as pure EV, well once again, there is zero indication that Toyota will go in that direction with the Tundra either.  In fact, going against that, do they even have a 100% electric vehicle at this time?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2021, 12:44:12 pm »
So, from what I understand, the rumours are as such:

There will be a 'regular' I-Force drivetrain, which I think will be a TTV6.  Think ballpark 400hp and close to 450lb-ft of torque.  This would most likely be the 'base' engine.

Then there will be an 'I-Force Max' drivetrain, which I could see being the hybrid version of the TTV6.  Think close to 500hp and 650lb-ft of torque. 

No rumours of a PHEV in sight anywhere.  That is merely a dream (and a wish) that I would like to see.  Toyota has zero indication that they'll be going that route - other than the fact that they're starting to do PHEV on more and more of their vehicles. 

As far as pure EV, well once again, there is zero indication that Toyota will go in that direction with the Tundra either.  In fact, going against that, do they even have a 100% electric vehicle at this time?
I do believe that Toyota has already stated that they plan to offer all their vehicles as PHEV's (Prime) at some point.  If the timeline to switch from ICE to EV's is 9-15 years, you'd think they'd be pushing out these Prime models pretty regularly and something like a Tundra would make a lot of sense as they sell a lot of them and at very good profit margins. 

As far as EV's, Toyota hasn't really gone that route unless you count hydrogen cell vehicles.  But with so many countries stating that ICE sales will cease by 2030-2035, Toyota for sure are developing them.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2021, 02:12:40 pm »
IRL top trim spotting...
2022 TOYOTA TUNDRA FULL LEAK OF THE LIMITED

Hmmm...doesn't even look too bad.  Not exactly RAM pretty, but not Chevy/GM ugly (when they first came out - I'm getting used to some of them...but the GM is still buttfugly).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2021, 02:31:07 pm »
IRL top trim spotting...

Hmmm...doesn't even look too bad.  Not exactly RAM pretty, but not Chevy/GM ugly (when they first came out - I'm getting used to some of them...but the GM is still buttfugly).
It looks like a Chevy

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2021, 02:34:20 pm »
not yet, but there is one coming (next year?)...Toyota is actually doing the right there with how they are going about it...so many hybrid options, all of which make a substantial improvement in fuel economy and all are "regular vehicles", not $150k halo cars...if all brands did this to their vehicles as well, it would make a substantial reduction in fuel consume and emissions as a whole...one challenging issue now is the chip shortage...another is battery manufacturing capabilities (and possible raw materials for those batteries?)...while the Prime vehicles are that next level of hybrid, they're essentially unavailable (due to such limited supply of them).

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2021, 02:38:42 pm »
IRL top trim spotting...

It looks like a Chevy

The new Chevy has actually grown on me since it first came out.  The 1500, at least.  The HD Chevy is still ugly as heck.

My opinion remains neutral on the truck pictured above.  I like the current Tundra styling more than what is pictured here.  Then again, these are merely spy shots, and I'm sure don't do the actual truck any justice.  Vehicles often look better in the metal than in pictures, too (like the new Chevy's). 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:40:31 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2021, 04:06:19 pm »
More photos.

Double Cab vs. Crew Max

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »
Overall, It looks like trying to appeal to Ford and GM buyers. With a Dodge like ride.

I don't why Toyota is doing this, Black plastic bit, they've done with Camry at the back and the Mini Van, it's look like they trying to hide something,

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2021, 05:22:20 pm »
More photos.

Forgot about that...under-arm slicer on the dashboard.  Cleaning windows is gonna be injurious.  Shi# if you rolled it you'd likely die from the shot to the noggin from that TV sticking out.  :P  Off to WalMart for some pool noodles!!

That'll class it up real good.  ;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2021, 11:27:53 pm »
IRL top trim spotting...

So Toyota takes 15y to come with this Frankenstein a la Chevy?!!!? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2021, 12:08:49 am »
^ Really shows your level of intelligence Tauri. Yes it took 15 years to develop this mediocre exterior design. It had absolutely nothing to do with the current gen being a financial success as it was or development of other components 

Maybe Ford should take 15 years to develop a drivetrain so it’ll last more than a year without going in the shop.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:20:18 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2021, 12:25:37 am »

Maybe Ford should take 15 years to develop a drivetrain so it’ll last more than a year without going in the shop.

Let's wait and see if Ford can even have a smooth product roll-out..which they can't seem to do.   :rofl: :rofl2:

I think they've already had a "do not drive!" recall on the new 2021 F-150.   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:32:52 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2021, 12:39:27 am »
I remember a community college professor, a woman, used to call us Tundra because even in the late 90's "Chukchi" would be politically incorrect. None of us were natives  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2021, 06:37:09 am »
Might be one of those designs that grows on people in time.  From those pics ....   :o    Do hope they offer wheel options.