Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56199 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2021, 04:08:37 pm »
Good for comfort, bad for payload. Ram 1500 has pretty poor payload too.

Maybe, maybe not.  The RAM 2500 has coil rears, and it's payload is just fine.  I think with the 1500 they lowered the payload on purpose so they could make the ride more cushy when empty. 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2021, 04:13:35 pm »
Rams payload went to crap with the air springs, they are also extremely problematic.

I bet this payload rating is the same/close as a leaf spring tundra. It should ride way better. I’m all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2021, 04:22:38 pm »
Rams payload went to crap with the air springs, they are also extremely problematic.

I bet this payload rating is the same/close as a leaf spring tundra. It should ride way better. I’m all for it!

They need to increase Tundra payload, though.  As it is, the current generation Tundra's payload is the lowest of all the half tons.  It's lower than some mid-size trucks.  It really hampers towing capacity - not because the engine/transmission isn't willing, but because the low payload limits the tongue weight you can put on the truck. 

I haven't weighed my truck, but I'd be willing to bet that when I have my camper hitched (300lb tongue weight), whole family + dogs on board (700-800lbs), plus the bed filled with coolers, luggage, portable air conditioner, and all the other accoutrements that we bring with us, I'm pretty close to max payload of the Tundra.  And that's with a small pop-up trailer.  Low payload is a real killer on the Tundra. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2021, 04:27:06 pm »
^ I'm sure I've been over max payload many times.  RV in tow, two dirt bikes in the box, never mind any other cargo.  RV stays put now though.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2021, 04:58:32 pm »
What is this payload thing?? Throw some airbags on there to stay level and run it!!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2021, 05:02:29 pm »
What is this payload thing?? Throw some airbags on there to stay level and run it!!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2021, 05:03:57 pm »
I'm just worried about the off chance of an accident where the insurance company investigates if an overloaded vehicle was the cause of the accident. I'm glad there are no tow police here.  :rofl2:

(There is no load on the tongue jack, I was adjusting the WDH to help level it out.)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:06:23 pm by dkaz »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2021, 06:09:28 am »

They need to increase Tundra payload, though.  As it is, the current generation Tundra's payload is the lowest of all the half tons.  It's lower than some mid-size trucks.  It really hampers towing capacity - not because the engine/transmission isn't willing, but because the low payload limits the tongue weight you can put on the truck. 

I haven't weighed my truck, but I'd be willing to bet that when I have my camper hitched (300lb tongue weight), whole family + dogs on board (700-800lbs), plus the bed filled with coolers, luggage, portable air conditioner, and all the other accoutrements that we bring with us, I'm pretty close to max payload of the Tundra.  And that's with a small pop-up trailer.  Low payload is a real killer on the Tundra.
Just get this already...I've seen it for $350 US..and considering your use, I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

https://motoiq.com/project-tundra-leveling-it-out-with-a-hellwig-big-wig-air-lift-kit/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2021, 07:55:34 am »

Just get this already...I've seen it for $350 US..and considering your use, I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

https://motoiq.com/project-tundra-leveling-it-out-with-a-hellwig-big-wig-air-lift-kit/

All well and good, but still doesn't increase the legal GVWR or GCWR. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2021, 09:11:37 am »
In addition, lifting the rear with bags does nothing for transferring weight from the rear to the front axle, which is what a weight distribution hitch does.  All the bags do is make it look like you haven’t overloaded the truck.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2021, 10:49:12 am »
I'm just worried about the off chance of an accident where the insurance company investigates if an overloaded vehicle was the cause of the accident. I'm glad there are no tow police here.  :rofl2:

(There is no load on the tongue jack, I was adjusting the WDH to help level it out.)

That looks like a lot of trailer.If no slides it isn't as heavy as it looks?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2021, 11:59:15 am »
Yea the 26 footer no slide is 4618 lb empty and 5700 lb loaded up with propane tanks, batteries, and gear. Another 300 lb if we have to carry water or sewage. I'm going with lithium batteries next time when the lead acid batteries die to shave 90 lb.

My buddy's 24 footer with a slide is 5500 lb empty.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2021, 08:57:57 am »
More tease..  :P

Looks good. Give me a full electric version though please!  ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:22 am »

I want PHEV.  30-50kms of electric-only range for the daily grind, with a nice powerful gas motor that allows you to go on long road trips pulling a camper without worrying about electric range. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2021, 10:05:57 am »

I want PHEV.  30-50kms of electric-only range for the daily grind, with a nice powerful gas motor that allows you to go on long road trips pulling a camper without worrying about electric range.
So with Toyota hybrids, if the vehicle has AWD the electric motors are usually powering the rear.  With this being a truck and RWD format, I wonder if it'll be FWD motors?  So would you be okay if your truck was FWD while it is running on electric alone, and then RWD/AWD when the gas engine is engaged?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2021, 10:20:13 am »

So with Toyota hybrids, if the vehicle has AWD the electric motors are usually powering the rear.  With this being a truck and RWD format, I wonder if it'll be FWD motors?  So would you be okay if your truck was FWD while it is running on electric alone, and then RWD/AWD when the gas engine is engaged?

SO, we're making some assumptions here about how Toyota is going to implement their hybrid system on their heavier duty, Body-On-Frame vehicles.  Let's assume that you're right, and the new Tundra hybrid will go with gas-powered rear wheels, and electric fronts (I doubt it, but let's go with it for now).  For a daily grind, yeah I'd be okay with electrically driven FWD wheels. 

I seriously doubt they're going to go that direction, though.  Just because that's what they do for their lighter vehicles (Rav4, Highlander, Prius etc) doesn't mean the same will apply to their trucks.  Given that Toyota makes a big deal of the capability and off-road aspirations of their trucks, there is a case to be made for the front wheels having a mechanical connection to the rear wheels through the transfer case.  I think they'll put a big old electric motor between the transmission and the transfer case.  This is similar to what JEEP does with the 4xE, except in the Wrangler's case, the electric motor is built INTO the transmission.  The 4x4 system functions exactly as it does on a conventional gas-powered wrangler, BUT, you have many kms of electric only range (including in 4x4 lo-range with locked diffs). 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2021, 10:35:27 am »

SO, we're making some assumptions here about how Toyota is going to implement their hybrid system on their heavier duty, Body-On-Frame vehicles.  Let's assume that you're right, and the new Tundra hybrid will go with gas-powered rear wheels, and electric fronts (I doubt it, but let's go with it for now).  For a daily grind, yeah I'd be okay with electrically driven FWD wheels. 

I seriously doubt they're going to go that direction, though.  Just because that's what they do for their lighter vehicles (Rav4, Highlander, Prius etc) doesn't mean the same will apply to their trucks.  Given that Toyota makes a big deal of the capability and off-road aspirations of their trucks, there is a case to be made for the front wheels having a mechanical connection to the rear wheels through the transfer case.  I think they'll put a big old electric motor between the transmission and the transfer case.  This is similar to what JEEP does with the 4xE, except in the Wrangler's case, the electric motor is built INTO the transmission.  The 4x4 system functions exactly as it does on a conventional gas-powered wrangler, BUT, you have many kms of electric only range (including in 4x4 lo-range with locked diffs).
Oh by no means do I know what Toyota will do, just speculating based on prior Hybrid/PHEV tech they have used in the past.  They haven't really done anything that big with a hybrid powertrain yet, little on a PHEV version.

I'd assume any electric motors for a PHEV would have to be around 200hp with a load more torque.  So you think that wouldn't be enough to keep it off road capable?  Maybe they don't have a Hybrid/PHEV off road model, maybe those models will be gas only.  The Rav4 Trail Edition is only available as a gas only.  Of course this is just speculation. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:31 am »
^^^

Yep, and all that is entirely possible.  The Hybrid and PHEV may be 'on-road only' vehicles, with the off-road versions being limited only to gas versions.  Something in me says that isn't the way they're going to go, though. 

Time will tell.  The direction they go with the basic hybrid will tell, I think. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2021, 12:28:04 pm »
The first three generation of Highlander Hybrids ran with a standard electric motor at the gas engine and letting the transfer case do the work. They could do the same with the Tundra. Toyota only starting doing the rear wheel electric motor with the RAV4.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2021, 01:38:29 pm »
Something that I don't think anyone has really talked about on here yet, if the new Tundra does offer a hybrid or PHEV option, are pickup owners going to be okay with a CVT transmission?  Can a CVT handle the towing stress?