Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra  (Read 56399 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2021, 11:22:14 pm »
^^^I think the only path for an existing Tundra owner to upgrade to a new Tundra is with a hybrid.  Bonus points if a PHEV Tundra Prime is offered.

This. I would only buy a new one if it was hybrid, or totally EV.
Lucky you! This will likely get the new Land Cruiser 3.5TT hybrid - 409 hp and 479lbft.

No PHEV…Toyota doesn’t have that powertrain.

No V8…the LC also abandoned it…

The biggest question though - will the hybrid be standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LC has not abandoned V8. You're confused.

Toyota has the PHEV tech..it's coming on a range topping Lexus SUV. So it's in the pipes..and surely a fit (now or later) has been considered for other vehicles on a similar platform.

V6 TT is the base engine from what I heard.

Top power model will be hybrid I-Max.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:24:54 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2021, 01:16:04 am »
^^^I think the only path for an existing Tundra owner to upgrade to a new Tundra is with a hybrid.  Bonus points if a PHEV Tundra Prime is offered.

Lucky you! This will likely get the new Land Cruiser 3.5TT hybrid - 409 hp and 479lbft.

Toyota has the PHEV tech..it's coming on a range topping Lexus SUV. So it's in the pipes..and surely a fit (now or later) has been considered for other vehicles on a similar platform.

It sure did - the V6 will be the only available gas powertrain in the new 22 LC and matched up to a 10 speed transmission.

And nope they don’t - their existing tech is based off a FWD/CVT platform with a RWD electric motor - good luck making this work in a truck.

I’m curious to see if they copied Ford and attach the hybrid system to the transmission so you can get a proper transfer case.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:21:21 am by Tauri13 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 02:31:53 am »

It sure did - the V6 will be the only available gas powertrain in the new 22 LC and matched up to a 10 speed transmission.

And nope they don’t - their existing tech is based off a FWD/CVT platform with a RWD electric motor - good luck making this work in a truck.

I’m curious to see if they copied Ford and attach the hybrid system to the transmission so you can get a proper transfer case.

The LC continues with the V8. And not only that, the LC is supposed to gain a turbo V8 for the LC F.

Lexus has the new PHEV tech in the works.  As pointed out, it's supposed to be coming on a range topping SUV...the LS of SUVs apparently. Though I do concede they could skip the PHEV altogether and just release the new Lexus as an EV...but I really doubt it.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 07:09:59 am »

That's not what I said, though.  I said they have the tech and no-how to make it work.  Do you honestly think that Toyota, the single largest auto manufacturer in the world, and the company that has designed, manufactured and sold the most hybrids and hybrid models, doesn't have the capability to make a PHEV truck?

And yes, I think that attaching the hybrid system to the transmission will be the only way to make this work.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 11:14:18 am »

The LC continues with the V8. And not only that, the LC is supposed to gain a turbo V8 for the LC F.

Lexus has the new PHEV tech in the works.  As pointed out, it's supposed to be coming on a range topping SUV...the LS of SUVs apparently. Though I do concede they could skip the PHEV altogether and just release the new Lexus as an EV...but I really doubt it.

hmmmm I am talking about the new-2022 LC --> https://www.topspeed.com/cars/2022-toyota-land-cruiser-300-series-ar191946.html

no more V8, V6TT and 10 speed (similar combo as Ford) is standard now.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2021, 01:01:03 pm »
hmmmm I am talking about the new-2022 LC

This is the LC.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 01:19:56 pm »
hmmmm I am talking about the new-2022 LC

This is the LC.

That’s a Lexus…not the Toyota Land Cruiser (LC)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 01:21:52 pm »
Yeah, it's a Lexus, and you do realize that Lexus and Toyota share platforms and drivetrains, right?  Riiight???

The LC is a halo car.  Halo cars are typically used to develop technologies that will eventually trickle down to the more mainstream models.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 01:35:51 pm »
With where fuel prices are heading the Cruiser should have a diesel anyhow.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 02:49:11 pm »
With where fuel prices are heading the Cruiser should have a diesel anyhow.
In 2021 Cruiser should be an EV anyhow

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2021, 04:18:06 pm »
Yeah, it's a Lexus, and you do realize that Lexus and Toyota share platforms and drivetrains, right?  Riiight???

The LC is a halo car.  Halo cars are typically used to develop technologies that will eventually trickle down to the more mainstream models.
I must be living in some sort of parallel universe, I’ve been talking Tundra and Land Cruiser this whole time….nothing to do with Lexus —>

The Toyota Land Cruiser (LC) uses the same engine found in the existing Tundra - so the ancient and gas guzzling V8…

The NEW 2022 Toyota LC WILL NOT have a V8, it will be ONLY equipped with a 3.5V6/10-speed gas…

—-> https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35323595.html

I am puzzled as to why some of you are thinking the 2022 will have a V8 LOL

The Lexus LC is a diff category / vehicle all together…

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 04:22:17 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2021, 06:49:39 pm »
I love how you refer to the tundra V8 as ancient. It’s a DOHC V8. Dodge and Chev are using pushrod V8s. Not there’s anything wrong with that, but the Tundra engine isn’t antiquated. Gas guzzler? You bet.  ;D

When you say you’re confused about the V8 in 2022, no one has said they expect one in the Tundra in 2022. Unless you’re talking about the LC, which I thought was cleared up as there was confusion around LC versus Land cruiser.

I can see how you would get mixed up with all this. You don’t know the difference between a V8 and V6.  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:56:18 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2021, 06:56:18 pm »
Yup, DOHC, 32V, VVTi.  It was so archaic that Ford copied the configuration with the 5.0L

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2021, 07:28:35 pm »
Yup, DOHC, 32V, VVTi.  It was so archaic that Ford copied the configuration with the 5.0L
It’s not only me…all the professional mags out there are saying it. LoL…

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2021, 08:32:42 pm »
It’s not only me…all the professional mags out there are saying it. LoL…

^ Best believe what you read buds. Don’t bother thinking for yourself.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2021, 08:51:35 pm »

hmmmm I am talking about the new-2022 LC --> https://www.topspeed.com/cars/2022-toyota-land-cruiser-300-series-ar191946.html

That's a Land Cruiser, not LC.

In the Toyota family LC belongs to a Lexus car...LC500.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:56 am »

That's a Land Cruiser, not LC.

In the Toyota family LC belongs to a Lexus car...LC500.
Google —> Toyota LC and see what comes up…
Also tons of Toyo forums refer to the Land Cruiser as  LC.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2021, 10:34:47 am »

I can see how you would get mixed up with all this. You don’t know the difference between a V8 and V6.  :rofl2:

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2021, 10:40:05 am »
I've signed up for email updates from Toyota Canada.  So, to hell with this thread.   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2021, 01:07:46 pm »
^^Wise man. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR