Author Topic: Ford Maverick  (Read 40530 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Ford Maverick
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2021, 03:01:29 pm »
https://youtu.be/OwrcR2uxKdo

Savage Geese review

Hybrid is sold out for 2022. Who knew ppl would be more than OK with a frameless FWD hybrid truck?  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2021, 05:05:23 pm »
So it was quiet. How tall is the reviewer.? He looks like he barely could see out?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2021, 06:42:04 pm »
So it was quiet. How tall is the reviewer.? He looks like he barely could see out?

Probably just the camera angle. I'm pretty sure every type of a driver seat today is height adjustable.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2021, 06:59:20 pm »
trying to get a visual on how much cabin room there is.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2021, 07:07:25 pm »
trying to get a visual on how much cabin room there is.
I would think it’s similar to the Escape and Bronco Sport, but that’s just a guess.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2021, 07:18:33 pm »
I honestly would try to come up with the extra cash for the Ridgeline.  Wicked AWD system, way more passenger room, a larger and more functional bed, sweet V6 (last of its kind?). I know that this is less expensive but.....
It’s also a different class, this would be a compact compared to the Ridgeline midsize.  But 100% the Ridgeline is better in pretty much every way but fuel economy and fitting into smaller spaces. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Ford Maverick
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2021, 09:02:11 pm »
I honestly would try to come up with the extra cash for the Ridgeline.  Wicked AWD system, way more passenger room, a larger and more functional bed, sweet V6 (last of its kind?). I know that this is less expensive but.....
It’s also a different class, this would be a compact compared to the Ridgeline midsize.  But 100% the Ridgeline is better in pretty much every way but fuel economy and fitting into smaller spaces.
Fair but the price difference is massive and the usable bed in the Ridgeline isn’t much bigger than the Maverick…

The Ridgeline STARTS at $48k, pricing makes absolutely no sense in them…add in the extra gas $$$ you will dump extra on top of extra $$$ for a truck that isn’t as quick and can’t even carry as much payload, and it’s a total lose-lose to choose one.

Explain why sales have never taken off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 09:04:40 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2021, 09:41:39 pm »
Fair but the price difference is massive and the usable bed in the Ridgeline isn’t much bigger than the Maverick…

The Ridgeline STARTS at $48k, pricing makes absolutely no sense in them…add in the extra gas $$$ you will dump extra on top of extra $$$ for a truck that isn’t as quick and can’t even carry as much payload, and it’s a total lose-lose to choose one.

Explain why sales have never taken off…

Wait the Ridgeline has less payload than the Maverick?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2021, 10:22:51 pm »
Maverick would work well for us, size and pricewise, but this is not acceptable:

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/

The hybrid in AWD might get another look though, I think that NA 2.5 has been fine, believe it isn't even direct injected

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2021, 11:18:47 pm »
Maverick would work well for us, size and pricewise, but this is not acceptable:

The hybrid in AWD might get another look though, I think that NA 2.5 has been fine, believe it isn't even direct injected
Hey Honda has its shares of problems too:

https://weeklymotor.com/honda-ridgeline-problems/

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2021, 11:20:05 pm »

Can you get the hybrid in awd?
Nope…not yet.

And I don’t think it will come quickly, at the current rates Ford can’t keep up with sales, even the 2.0T are hard to find, whatever they get, gets sold quickly…

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2021, 12:05:45 am »
^ I can’t believe you actually used that article as a reference. Did you read it?  :rofl2:  It refers to a timing chain that gets misaligned, then a timing belt that gets stuck  :rofl2:, and requires frequent replacement. I stopped there.

That article may have less credibility than yourself.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2021, 01:02:36 am »
^ I can’t believe you actually used that article as a reference. Did you read it?  :rofl2:  It refers to a timing chain that gets misaligned, then a timing belt that gets stuck  :rofl2:, and requires frequent replacement. I stopped there.

That article may have less credibility than yourself.
I can find many like that…just to prove a point - nothing is perfect…

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2021, 01:55:47 am »
That article is bot generated? No way that was created by an actual human.  :rofl:

Anyhow Honda generally makes 40-50k Ridgelines per year (or did). Ridgelines are produced in an assembly plant that also makes Pilots and Odysseys. Depending on the demand for the other two Ridgeline sort of fills in the gaps. The net effect is that Honda simply doesn't make very many as they would require a whole new plant to pull that off. Honda sells every one though at a high price and rarely  if ever has to put incentives to move them unlike lets say Ram who seems (at least until covid hit) a perpetual $5000-$20000k on the hood to move product. On paper the Ridgeline doesn't seem to make sense vs larger trucks which offer more capacity and numbers for less money. It all makes sense when you drive them back to back.

This Maverick will sell well as it follows a similar recipe as the Ridgeline. In a 2/3 package.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2021, 01:59:34 am »

That article is a bit misleading: Because direct injection systems deliver fuel to the injectors at nearly 30,000psi of pressure, In some new diesels maybe.  But in passenger vehicles its more like 2200 psi.

This is an alternative review:  https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=134

Would I buy a 2.0 Ecobust?  Nope.  But I will buy my son's 2.7 Ecobust F150 leaser in 2 years.  But it will have 45K km on it and I'll probably put 3K km on it annually from then on.  Most of the big issues with the ecobusts where fixed by circa 2018.  I believe all Ford V6s and V8s have dual injection systems.

Both the MDX and Armada are DI.  Not a real positive.  You'd think they would have moved on to dual injection by now.  Credit to Ford in following Toyota lead on the dual injection.  I think Ford has really turned the corner of late.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2021, 02:30:51 am »
Maverick Hybrid and Ridgeline not remotely comparable.  msrp and fuel economy miles apart.  The Ecobust awd version no Ridgeline, but miles ahead of the current Ranger which is a major turkey.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2021, 11:41:13 am »
Early Ford hybrids (Gen1 Escape, C-Max, Fusion Gen1 and 2) used Toyota technology under licence. Don't know if that includes the planetary gear CVTs, but these Fords have pretty solid drivetrains. Not sure if any Toyota patents are still used in the Maverick and current Escape.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2021, 11:45:47 am »
Heard nothing but good on the toyota based transmissions. Engines also seem to avoid ecoboost problems, being naturally aspirated and port or semi port injected as far as I know

Unless Ford screwed up with the transmission modifications they did for the Maverick would guess this would be a good drivetrain

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2021, 12:00:01 pm »
The hybrid uses a cvt. Does anyone know which one and how reliable it has been on other applications?

Edit: Found some info here

http://testdriven.tv/2021/08/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-explained/

in-house design, different from normal CVT.
"As to the electrified transmission called eCVT, it’s not to be confused with a traditional gasoline powered CVT with pulleys and a belt that few people really like and many of which have bad reliability records. An eCVT is a completely different animal. Not the same thing at all in spite of a similar name.

An eCVT has no pulleys or belt but has a simple planetary gear set and two electric motors. One motor known as the eMotor provides your main electric driving power. The other smaller motor known as the motor-generator is used to start the engine, charge the high-voltage battery, provide regenerative braking, and performs other power balancing functions. While it sounds like voodoo science, it’s remarkably simple and has about a third the moving parts of a conventional automatic transmission."

Wikipedia says other applications are
2021–present HF45 Hybrid and Plug in Hybrid transaxle.

Ford Escape/Kuga FHEV / PHEV, Ford Maverick HEV.

Somewhat misleading. Surely there is a filter for the battery pack cooling system, which typically needs to be cleaned, unless Ford is using liquid cooling. In case of Toyota hybrids it is super important to keep that filter clean, otherwise the pack overheats and fails.

There is no such thing as lifetime transmission fluid, unless the car's lifetime ends together with the factory warranty. The good news is eCVTs are simple to serice: one drain plug, one fill plug, fill it to the top untill it leaks out, no dipstick, no filter to replace. I wonder what Ford uses for the ATF fluid in the hybrid.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2021, 02:55:39 pm »
I don't remember the details but is Ford's hybrid powertrain based on Toyota's design and technology? I know this site says it's not built by Toyota and it's in house.

The info may be out of date but this is what wikipedia says on the subject:

"Ford Motor Company independently developed a system with key technologies similar to Toyota's HSD technology in 2004. As a result, Ford licensed 21 patents from Toyota in exchange for patents relating to emissions technology.[38]

Aisin Seiki Co., minority-owned by Toyota, supplies its versions of the HSD transmission system to Ford for use as the "Powersplit" e-CVT in the Ford Escape hybrid[42] and Ford Fusion Hybrid.[43]

Nissan licensed Toyota's HSD for use in the Nissan Altima hybrid, using the same Aisin Seiki T110 transaxle as in the Toyota Camry Hybrid."

My take is Toyota Ford and Nissan eCVT transmissions are very similar in design and operation.