Author Topic: Ford Maverick  (Read 40556 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Ford Maverick
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:10 am »
Would have preferred the Bronco Sport's round headlights, but nice little truck overall!

I said the same thing to someone on Twitter. They could have made this a Bronco Maverick.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2021, 10:09:08 am »
You know I was thinking about why they might not ever offer the Hybrid with AWD, my guess is it adds too much weight and would reduce the towing capacity and possibly the payload capacity.  With both being pretty much on the minimum of usefulness I doubt they'd want to add the weight of AWD.

It would be nice if they had a longer bed version but I can understand why that might not be a big seller.  People who want a small truck won't want the extra foot or more in length to deal with, plus that would eat into Ranger and F150 sales.  Isn't there supposed to be a new Ranger coming out in the next year or two?  I thought I read that somewhere.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2021, 10:10:37 am »
You know I was thinking about why they might not ever offer the Hybrid with AWD, my guess is it adds too much weight and would reduce the towing capacity and possibly the payload capacity.  With both being pretty much on the minimum of usefulness I doubt they'd want to add the weight of AWD.

I think it's also about simplifying the number of configurations.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2021, 10:31:47 am »
I think it's also about simplifying the number of configurations.

For now for sure.

Until they find out this will sell or not. Or if it sells, if they have the capacity to build it

I think it will take off big time. Apparently in the US it will be their lowest price vehicle, below that tiny Ecosport thing. Crazy they've managed it with a hybrid pickup

Would guess AWD hybrid would be the next step, then maybe a long (er) box, shorter cab version

Wait a minute, where’s the AWD hybrid?
A-ha, the elephant in the room. Ford will not offer the Maverick hybrid with all-wheel drive at launch. If that seems like a huge miss to you, you’re not alone, but if there’s anything we’ve learned from pickup builders as a whole, it’s that they listen to their customers. If you want that configuration, say so. Use the comments here, in fact. Trust us. Ford is reading.
The reality is that Ford can do a lot more than what we see here thanks to the platform underpinning the Maverick. It’s the same global compact architecture found in the Escape, Bronco Sport, Kuga and Focus (RIP), and anything bolted to one of those could feasibly make its way into Ford’s new pickup, from the Bronco Sport’s available twin-clutch rear differential to the Escape’s available plug-in hybrid powertrain, it’s all on the table.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/08/2022-ford-maverick-revealed-compact-hybrid-pickup/

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2021, 10:56:36 am »
Pity the rear seat users

Actually watched the Doug Demuro review today and there is actually a decent amount of room.

Just watched that video. 

Like I said, I pity the back seat passengers.

I find your position a bit strange. It’s clearly meant to be a very small truck and if rear passenger space is a concern Ford offers a bunch of larger trucks.

What would you expect?

Anyway, a size like this at a good price point is a good thing. There’s a market for people that want a pickup but not a 60ft long one.

Further, ppl use crew cabs like a 4 door car.  It's mostly for stuff, not people.  The rear seats fold up and one just uses it as same as a car trunk.  Majority of crew cab owners are either alone in the vehicle or in couple format.  Cab and 1/2 pickups are really awkward to use the rear space.  Ya need 4 doors.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2021, 11:04:41 am »
Either way the maximum payload is 1,500 lb, and the nominally 4.5-foot bed has a capacity of 30 cubic feet (think: ATV). It can also accommodate 4x8 sheets lying flat, with the multi-position tailgate set appropriately.

The maximum payload is 1,500 lb, and the nominally 4.5-foot bed has a capacity of 30 cubic feet.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2021, 11:20:48 am »
Pity the rear seat users

Actually watched the Doug Demuro review today and there is actually a decent amount of room.

Just watched that video. 

Like I said, I pity the back seat passengers.

I find your position a bit strange. It’s clearly meant to be a very small truck and if rear passenger space is a concern Ford offers a bunch of larger trucks.

What would you expect?

Anyway, a size like this at a good price point is a good thing. There’s a market for people that want a pickup but not a 60ft long one.

Because it’s not good at anything.  It doesn’t fill any niche.  The cab is small, the bed is small, it is FWD based.

With a short bed and limited cargo weight can it haul
1. Wall board or plywood. NO
2. Adult bicycles without a wheel dangling outside the bed. NO
3. Kayak without leaning up. NO
4. Twin/Full size mattress without leaning up. NO
5. 1 cubic yard of soil. NO
6. 1 cubic yard of gravel. NO
7. 1 cubic yard of mulch. Maybe

As a fullsize truck owner, I can tell you that almost NO truck can do most of that stuff:

1.  Wall board or plywood - Any truck short of an 8' long bed will either need the tailgate open, or the boards leaning up on top of a closed tailgate.  Ford has demonstrated that the Maverick is capable of hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood with the tailgate in the partial-up position
2.  Again, 5.5' long bed of my Tundra strikes again - I CAN fit 2 adult bikes in the back of my truck, but it's very awkward, and I can't close the tonneau cover - and they're at an angle.  If I were to carry them straight fore/aft, my tailgate would need to be dropped.  I'm currently shopping for a hitch rack to carry bikes with the truck.  The Maverick seems almost as capable at hauling two bikes as a short bed Tundra.
3.  Sorry, is there a truck in the world that can carry a kayak in the bed without it overhanging the tailgate?  If there is, then it's not a 'real' kayak. 
4.  This is a limitation of almost any shortbed truck.  You'd need at least a 6.5' bed in order to haul a mattress with the tailgate closed and the mattress laying down flat.

5/6/7.  Okay, hauling a yard of anything - this is something a half-ton does very well, not only because of the increased payload of a half ton, but also because of the volume of the bed.  I can manage (and have hauled) a yard of topsoil in my truck.  I reversed as far as I could into my backyard in order to fill my planters, but due to the sheer massive size of the Tundra, could only get about halfway to the planters, and had to complete the job with a wheelbarrow.  It's possible that due to its smaller size, something like the Maverick could actually reverse and maneuver fully into my backyard and right up to the planters.  Yeah, I'd have to do twice as many trips to the soil place (about a 5 minute drive from my house), but those extra trips would be countered by getting the load closer to where it needs to ultimately end up. 

Look, I'm not saying the Maverick is a replacement for a half ton.  There are things that a Crew Cab, short bed half ton does very well, that the Maverick won't do.  Like hauling 4 people in comfort with plenty of legroom.  Half Ton will also tow a lot more competently.  Yeah, you can fit a larger load of cinder blocks or lumber in a half ton.  But how often are truck owners really doing that sort of thing?  Anybody who's doing it often probably already owns a truck.  I did strap a king-size mattress and box spring down in the bed of my truck (tailgate open), which is probably something a Maverick just would not be able to do at all.  So yeah, I guess you got me there.  The Maverick won't be able to haul a king size mattress, something which a half ton can do, something which I've had to do all of once in my 38 year life. 

For what is IS, I think the Maverick is excellent.  Nobody is pretending it will be as capable as a half ton at hauling or towing.  But for the occasional bulky or messy item, it should serve just fine. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
I see lots of Ridgeline types buying a truck like this, or older folks who don't want the step up height of a truck to haul fertilizer for their begonias or homeowners that that are into diy. Sure, this isn't going to haul a 40ft toy hauler or a pallet of paving stones in the box....but neither will a half ton.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2021, 11:50:33 am »
I should also mention that Ford pricing is not what you see.  A loaded version will no doubt be mid $40K CDN.  I am also concerned about the actual roll out of this truck.  The Bronco Sport has had several recalls already and reading some of the forums, has been less than reliable.  Keep in mind that I am a Ford fan too.

Ford pricing is exactly what you see, because it's all available.  :P

A Lariat with premium paint and all option packages (minus the First Edition) is $43,620.

An XLT AWD with towing and luxury packages is $37,100.

This is about the same, if not cheaper, than comparable smaller CUVs. It's also quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent Ranger, which easily crests $50k for a Lariat with the 501A, towing, FX4, and bed utility packages. And there's still more options to choose from.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:57:20 am by OliverD »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2021, 12:24:28 pm »
Because it’s not good at anything.  It doesn’t fill any niche.  The cab is small, the bed is small, it is FWD based.

With a short bed and limited cargo weight can it haul
1. Wall board or plywood. NO
2. Adult bicycles without a wheel dangling outside the bed. NO
3. Kayak without leaning up. NO
4. Twin/Full size mattress without leaning up. NO
5. 1 cubic yard of soil. NO
6. 1 cubic yard of gravel. NO
7. 1 cubic yard of mulch. Maybe

As a fullsize truck owner, I can tell you that almost NO truck can do most of that stuff:

1.  Wall board or plywood - Any truck short of an 8' long bed will either need the tailgate open, or the boards leaning up on top of a closed tailgate.  Ford has demonstrated that the Maverick is capable of hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood with the tailgate in the partial-up position
2.  Again, 5.5' long bed of my Tundra strikes again - I CAN fit 2 adult bikes in the back of my truck, but it's very awkward, and I can't close the tonneau cover - and they're at an angle.  If I were to carry them straight fore/aft, my tailgate would need to be dropped.  I'm currently shopping for a hitch rack to carry bikes with the truck.  The Maverick seems almost as capable at hauling two bikes as a short bed Tundra.
3.  Sorry, is there a truck in the world that can carry a kayak in the bed without it overhanging the tailgate?  If there is, then it's not a 'real' kayak. 
4.  This is a limitation of almost any shortbed truck.  You'd need at least a 6.5' bed in order to haul a mattress with the tailgate closed and the mattress laying down flat.

5/6/7.  Okay, hauling a yard of anything - this is something a half-ton does very well, not only because of the increased payload of a half ton, but also because of the volume of the bed.  I can manage (and have hauled) a yard of topsoil in my truck.  I reversed as far as I could into my backyard in order to fill my planters, but due to the sheer massive size of the Tundra, could only get about halfway to the planters, and had to complete the job with a wheelbarrow.  It's possible that due to its smaller size, something like the Maverick could actually reverse and maneuver fully into my backyard and right up to the planters.  Yeah, I'd have to do twice as many trips to the soil place (about a 5 minute drive from my house), but those extra trips would be countered by getting the load closer to where it needs to ultimately end up. 

Look, I'm not saying the Maverick is a replacement for a half ton.  There are things that a Crew Cab, short bed half ton does very well, that the Maverick won't do.  Like hauling 4 people in comfort with plenty of legroom.  Half Ton will also tow a lot more competently.  Yeah, you can fit a larger load of cinder blocks or lumber in a half ton.  But how often are truck owners really doing that sort of thing?  Anybody who's doing it often probably already owns a truck.  I did strap a king-size mattress and box spring down in the bed of my truck (tailgate open), which is probably something a Maverick just would not be able to do at all.  So yeah, I guess you got me there.  The Maverick won't be able to haul a king size mattress, something which a half ton can do, something which I've had to do all of once in my 38 year life. 

For what is IS, I think the Maverick is excellent.  Nobody is pretending it will be as capable as a half ton at hauling or towing.  But for the occasional bulky or messy item, it should serve just fine. 

I agree with GBA's answers to 1-4. I'll add that a cubic yard of gravel weighs 2400 lb. I think the highest payload you can get out of any F150 is about 2400 lb but that includes passengers and cargo. so maybe 7/8th of a yard. A Maverick can haul about 1/2 a yard of gravel plus driver.

I do prefer the Ranger but I can see the Maverick and Santa Cruz being popular with urbanites.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2021, 12:25:48 pm »
My point was that the pricing overlaps with the Ranger.  Much like how the price of the Ranger overlaps the F150.  Many prospective buyers will see that they prefer the greater utility for the same price but fewer options OR pay an extra $50 per month for more capability in the Ranger. The Ranger Lariat 4x4 starts at $42.7K for example.

And many of them will decide they don't need the increased capability of the Ranger, and decide that they want the higher specced version of Maverick.  It absolutely goes both ways. 

Probably better fuel economy in the Maverick, too.  The availability of hybrid is a big deal, too, although not being available with AWD at launch will likely hurt sales of the hybrid in Canada.  To my knowledge, this is the first compact hybrid truck of any kind, ever. 

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2021, 12:31:32 pm »
Just curious, is this Maverick "garageable" ? I mean, what is the actual size of garage of newer home build? They seem to $hrink as parking space does...

Overall, this Hybrid FWD light pick-up seem a good compromise to me.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2021, 12:35:59 pm »
Just curious, is this Maverick "garageable" ? I mean, what is the actual size of garage of newer home build? They seem to $hrink as parking space does...

It's 5072mm or 199.7" or 16'-8" long. So yea it's garageable. Still 6" longer than my first gen Sienna.

Even the Ranger at 210" long is garageable. A crew cab 5.5' box Ford F150 is 20 feet long IIRC.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2021, 12:36:30 pm »

This is the wrong thread for that discussion.  You want the OTHER identically named Ford Maverick thread, located here:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=107407.60

:rofl2: :bang:

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2021, 12:46:03 pm »

This is the wrong thread for that discussion.  You want the OTHER identically named Ford Maverick thread, located here:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=107407.60

:rofl2: :bang:

How did I manage to miss that 2nd (identical name) thread !  ;) :run:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2021, 12:51:06 pm »
^^^I'm with ya.  It's good to have options.  This won't be the vehicle for everybody, and true truck buyers are still going to buy trucks.  But for a small segment of the population, the Maverick will make sense.  I made the exact same argument about the Santa Cruz.  I like the segment, and I think it will do well. 

Will Ford sell as many of these as the F-150?  Not even close.  But they don't need to.  Maverick shares a platform with the Escape and Bronco Sport, and I'm guessing is built on the same assembly line?  Many of the costs of developing and building the Maverick will be shared with those other two vehicles. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2021, 12:56:56 pm »
They need to make an 'RS' version of this, with the 2.3T out of the Ranger.  That would be a hoot and a half, and really would appeal to somebody who enjoys driving and wants some of the practicality of a truck without giving up the driving feel and ride/handling of a car.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2021, 01:05:22 pm »

Overall, this Hybrid FWD light pick-up seem a good compromise to me.

We've been looking for something hybrid that is fairly narrow to fit beside the RX in the garage

This would seem to work well. The Maverick is a 72.4 inches wide compared to the 78.6 of a Ridgeline, or the 80 inches of an F150

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2021, 05:17:22 pm »
I guess I still don’t buy the argument presented against this thing. Sure I may be wrong.

But I’m always a little confused when a little “lifestyle” truck gets released and all of a sudden the hammer gets put down with examples of plywood, hauling etc.

FWIW I would want a smaller truck that is garageable and a guy like me isn’t hauling gravel on plywood etc. I’d be bringing :censor: back and forth to the cottage or chalet, getting bags of dirt for gardening- that kind of :censor:.

For those purposes something like this makes sense. If I wanted a work truck or I was hauling :censor: or plywood all the time  I’d just get the full-size.

I’d still probably prefer something ranger sized overall and I’d probably buy a ridge line if I got a pickup again but I think this makes sense as an urban truck.

People love to concentrate on what a vehicle can't do.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2021, 08:23:16 pm »
You all know that us gay dudes LOFGAO when we read or hear "Princess Auto Power Fist."

My LGBT grandkids do not find that very funny ,
I glide they are smart today

LBGT+ youth of today forget that it was LBGT+ 50+ year old farts that fought to give them a world where they could be so f@cking politically correct, uptight, and humourless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4naXsKsys

My generation, of course, has to adapt to modern acceptable language and behaviour, like the rest of us.  But the distain that the younger LGBT+ generations have for those who went through the AIDS crisis, bar and bathhouse raids, open mass police brutality in the streets as late as the early 1990s (https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/sex-garage-raid-a-turning-point-in-montreals-lgbt-activism), is revolting.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:36:16 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...