Author Topic: Ford Maverick  (Read 40569 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Ford Maverick
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2021, 09:12:22 am »
My build: AWD, XLT with FX4 Off-Road package, Ford Co-Pilot, spray-in bed liner:

$35,480 plus taxes.
I'm assuming that is the 2.0T with AWD truck?  Could you build a similar options Ranger and see how much of a price difference it is between the two?  That would be useful information.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2021, 09:24:00 am »
I built up this Ranger XLT Crew, 4x4 with FX4 package and 301A package (I think that gets you Co-Pilot, as well as leather wrapped steering wheel/shifter), as well as a bedliner.  Couldn't find anywhere to add a sunroof on the XLT.  Not sure it's available.  I also HAD to add the $600 Trailer Tow Package to get wiring and a hitch.  Chose the Cyber Orange paint which added $550, but so worth it. 

$44 449+taxes & fees.  So, about $9k more than the Maverick.  I have a feeling the Maverick will have a nicer interior, but the Ranger is the more capable rig, for sure. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:29:42 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2021, 09:39:39 am »
No sunroof available on the Ranger.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2021, 09:56:33 am »
Ranger is jacked up like a trophy truck too.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2021, 10:24:58 am »

I find that to be an endearing quality in a truck.  I like being able to see over all the peons in their little cars and CUV's. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2021, 10:39:50 am »

I find that to be an endearing quality in a truck.  I like being able to see over all the peons in their little cars and CUV's.

and you pay for it every day with tippy handling (narrow track and high CG) and a ridiculous bed height and truck box making it a PITA to get things when you use it as a ....truck. Unless you are willing to go full Bro-Dozer F350, 6" lift and 35/38 " tires you are not seeing over anybody out here lol.

The truly enlightened out here (mostly empty nester dirt bike riding old men) drive these:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:56 pm »
I built up this Ranger XLT Crew, 4x4 with FX4 package and 301A package (I think that gets you Co-Pilot, as well as leather wrapped steering wheel/shifter), as well as a bedliner.  Couldn't find anywhere to add a sunroof on the XLT.  Not sure it's available.  I also HAD to add the $600 Trailer Tow Package to get wiring and a hitch.  Chose the Cyber Orange paint which added $550, but so worth it. 

$44 449+taxes & fees.  So, about $9k more than the Maverick.  I have a feeling the Maverick will have a nicer interior, but the Ranger is the more capable rig, for sure. 

I guess the next question is how much is an F150 optioned out like that with the base engine (if you can even do so, might have to go with 2.7T).

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:54 pm »
Pretty Basic Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7T (just gotta step up from the base V6), 301A Mid package, FX4 package.

$54 554. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2021, 12:55:15 pm »
The tricky thing with Ford is the Canadian Tire pricing tricks they pull

Full size pickups used to be discounted heavily while the Rangers were not (AFAIK)

That might all be different at present with the Covid shortages and the exchange rate issues

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2021, 01:11:24 pm »

Full size pickups used to be discounted heavily while the Rangers were not (AFAIK)

That might all be different at present with the Covid shortages and the exchange rate issues
Yeah I'm not seeing the same discounts on pickups this summer that there was last year.  I think there is a shortage right now and the demand is huge so why are they going to roll out these big discounts. 

It's similar to something I noticed the other day when helping a friend shop for a new minivan.  The price for a Honda Odyssey is crazy when compared to anything else, then I remembered how long it took my boss to get his.  They can't keep them in stock, so why offer competitive pricing and financing rates.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2021, 01:18:49 pm »
The discounts were on short term low mileage leases so they can sell them to the US in two years.
They better hope that the price of gas doesn't keep climbing or they won't be able to sell those trucks for good money (double whammy because our dollar will go up and demand for large vehicles will go down).

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2021, 07:35:25 pm »

Those are gone with the wind - I looked into swapping my 20 Lariat -> 21 Lariat hybrid but nope, would have to pay $73k+taxes - $1500 off from Ford. Order out and wait 6 months for delivery….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2021, 08:31:53 pm »
Will 4 bicycles and enough bags for a family of 2 adults and 2 teens for a weeks cottage trip fit in? The price for this is just perfect. I may even cancel the Cybertruck reservation.

Weekend cottage trip? You could stuff the bikes in there with fronts hanging over tailgate but all your bags will be exposed to theft and weather. You could do some sort of roof box I suppose.

I have done many similar family trips and you are going to want to step up to the Ridgeline. Trunk (although earlier gen was bigger), big storage under rear seats and a genuine 6' adult can sit in the back (gen 1 again, gen 2 a little tighter) and a 5'4" box with 50+ inches of width.
As soon as you cross into Ridgeline territory, one is better off with a 1/2 ton - the Ridgeline is WAY overpriced for what it is…you can’t compare $47k —> $30k?!?!

Wrong.  Ridgeline fits in a standard garage and outhandles eveything by a country mile. It lacks ground clearance and can't tow compared to a 1/2 ton so if you need that it won't work. The AWD with torque vectoring rear differential is vastly superior to a standard 4WD setup on winter roads etc. It has it's tradeoffs but If you wait until Honda puts  $5k on the hood then it ain't so bad. If you think it is the same as a 1/2 ton go hit some offramps at speed and get back to me.   ;).
I’ve driven one and I understand why it doesn’t sell - it drinks too much gas and the engine is overworked…

I am not trying to drive a truck as a sports car…[emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2021, 12:55:55 am »
Will 4 bicycles and enough bags for a family of 2 adults and 2 teens for a weeks cottage trip fit in? The price for this is just perfect. I may even cancel the Cybertruck reservation.

Weekend cottage trip? You could stuff the bikes in there with fronts hanging over tailgate but all your bags will be exposed to theft and weather. You could do some sort of roof box I suppose.

I have done many similar family trips and you are going to want to step up to the Ridgeline. Trunk (although earlier gen was bigger), big storage under rear seats and a genuine 6' adult can sit in the back (gen 1 again, gen 2 a little tighter) and a 5'4" box with 50+ inches of width.
As soon as you cross into Ridgeline territory, one is better off with a 1/2 ton - the Ridgeline is WAY overpriced for what it is…you can’t compare $47k —> $30k?!?!

Wrong.  Ridgeline fits in a standard garage and outhandles eveything by a country mile. It lacks ground clearance and can't tow compared to a 1/2 ton so if you need that it won't work. The AWD with torque vectoring rear differential is vastly superior to a standard 4WD setup on winter roads etc. It has it's tradeoffs but If you wait until Honda puts  $5k on the hood then it ain't so bad. If you think it is the same as a 1/2 ton go hit some offramps at speed and get back to me.   ;).
I’ve driven one and I understand why it doesn’t sell - it drinks too much gas and the engine is overworked…

I am not trying to drive a truck as a sports car…[emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166]

Huh?  drinks gas?

Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG
The Ridgeline's engine is the most fuel-efficient V-6 in its class at 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. On our 75-mph fuel-economy route, which simulates real-world highway driving and is part of our extensive testing regimen, an all-wheel-drive Ridgeline earned 28 mpg. That figure matches our results for a GMC Canyon with the diesel engine and all-wheel drive, which is impressive considering the Honda's gas engine.

By overworked do you mean it has to rev? Yes it does but it loves to as it is a Honda. It loves to sing. I t doesn't make for a great traditional truck engine though. It does however fit in your garage.
The performance specs may not match the largest engine full sizers but the numbers below aren't exactly slug like.

PERFORMANCE (40,000 MILES)
Zero to 60 mph: 6.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.2 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 14.0 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.0 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 112 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.80 g
*stability-control-inhibited

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2021, 07:17:59 am »
That hybrid system was changed for the Maverick, new motor and transmission, 'the first one developed and manufactured fully in-house at Ford'

Cheaper and lighter, and apparently part of the reason there is no AWD hybrid system initially

What's New With the Motor?

The whole shootin' match, really. Technically speaking, the Maverick's motor is an internal permanent-magnet reluctance design. It places magnets in V-shaped slots that help maximize magnetic attraction at some angles and minimize it (maximizing reluctance) in others. This is the type of motor Tesla employs on the rear of its Model 3 Performance and in the Raven setups in Model S and Model X Performance and Long Range models.

The rotor in this new 2022 Ford Maverick motor hides its magnets in double-V slots as opposed to single-Vs in the previous motor (which still powers the Escape Hybrid). This design uses more and smaller batteries, and they're all molded in place during the manufacturing process. The previous design glued the magnets in after the rotor's manufacture. The molded-in magnets can tolerate much higher rotating speed, and although the Maverick doesn't take advantage of this capability, we expect to see all-new hybrid systems designed to use this motor that will indeed do so.

The stator also gets an overhaul, switching from round-wire windings to square wires featuring "hair pin end turns." The major benefits are that the square windings fill the space more thoroughly so they can conduct more electricity, which helps increase torque density. Those hair pin end turns conduct more heat for better, more efficient cooling.

These seemingly minimal changes increase the motor's efficiency and reduce its mass. The latter benefit critically includes the mass of copper and increasingly scarce rare-earth materials used in the magnets. The new motor is said to weigh 20 percent less than the one powering the 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/

My 2014 Spark EV motor had square (solid) wires with air pin end turns stator construction, as well a double V shape inserts (exception maybe being glued instead of molded-in) magnets into its rotor,  if this is what they are talking about?  :think:

AFAIK, same type of permanent magnet are used in today's Bolt and former Volt, exception taken about Volt gen 1&2 had 2 motors type: (1) permanent-magnet motor + (1) Induction motor.

C&D
Insider
YT
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:13:28 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2021, 10:06:03 am »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 10:09:11 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2021, 10:08:56 am »
I applaud the small truck movement. Down with the behemoths.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2021, 10:11:25 am »
I applaud the small truck movement. Down with the behemoths.

Read this, lol. if you haven't already.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/pickup-trucks-debate-1.6119462

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2021, 10:54:01 am »
Actually saw a few Rangers on the road in BC, very rare here in AB

Was thinking though that electric power is going to keep the monster truck trend going, but now with 1000hp of instant-on power

This does look fun:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2021, 11:49:31 am »
BC loves midsize pickup trucks for wheeling and such plus parking stalls are ridiculously narrow there. Looking at you Burnaby 8 Rinks with your 7.5 foot wide parking stalls. Full size trucks are still best sellers there though.