Author Topic: 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5  (Read 24001 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2022, 09:50:10 am »
Saw two I5s on the way to work this morning.  First time seeing them in the flesh. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2022, 10:02:27 am »
I saw one recently too. I think they look great.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2022, 06:11:39 pm »
Ok, try the Ioniq and report back  :P

That box may not be huge, but it's in addition to the main cargo space of the hatch. I'm sure future models will be able to free up even more space under the hood due to more compact drivetrain components and more efficient packaging. Hyundai along with many other traditional automakers are currently rushing to stake the electric market share; refinements will follow.
It’s still a disappointment - looks like exactly like the ‘frunk’ aka storage box that you can buy online as an add on…I’d expect to see a proper frunk there, there’s sooo much lost space inside that hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2022, 06:43:45 pm »
Saw two I5s on the way to work this morning.  First time seeing them in the flesh.

I'm yet to see either I5 or Kia EV6 in person. The latter has grown on me but the Ioniq is the ultimate 80's cool  8)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2022, 06:47:21 pm »

I'm yet to see either I5 or Kia EV6 in person. The latter has grown on me but the Ioniq is the ultimate 80's cool  8)

Not cooler than the Honda E IMO....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2022, 06:58:11 pm »

Are they even bringing those to Canada? With a small-ish battery it already seems out of date, which is a shame as it looks sharp.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2022, 07:01:58 pm »

Are they even bringing those to Canada? With a small-ish battery it already seems out of date, which is a shame as it looks sharp.

Not coming here.

But that doesn't mean it's not the coolest!!   ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2022, 01:18:55 pm »
My venzaurus has a rear wiper, obviously. I used it twice, maybe three times, mostly because it's there  :P If it wasn't I see no problem with wiping off the rear glass every once in awhile, like I do with the rear camera lens or side mirrors.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2022, 01:50:32 pm »
My SAABs. A 78 99 and a 82 900, both hatchbacks, neither had a spoiler on the top of the rear window,  either had a rear window wiper.  The rear windows stayed clean.   The airflow over the roof stayed attached down to the bottom of the hatch door.   Below that the rear of the cars were covered in mud,snow, whatever.
These roof top spoilers are a nuisance at any speeds we are allowed in Canada
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2022, 03:58:44 pm »
I have taken out the rear view mirror in my truck out 11 years ago
There no camera on the truck , just use the side mirror
On the Lexus used the rear wipe probably 3 times in 4 years
Just remember the first rule of Italian driving  :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2022, 04:39:28 pm »
The biggest drawback to the Ioniq5 is the lack of a rear wiper. Sure it looks clean, but the spoiler is supposed to have downforce for the air to clean the window. Doesn't work. There is a employee from Hyundai dealer in the Fraser Valley, that has done some youtube videos in regards to this problem.  Its alway raining in his videos which is good thing, and he has a rear facing camera. In the first video, he admits that there should be a wiper and the vision becomes very blurry in just a few minutes.

In the second video he uses rainx on the rear window and it really isn't any better. I think he tries to downplay the lack of vision saying the there are delivery vans that don't have any rear windows at all, so having blurred rearward vision is no big dieal. Thinking he was probably told to say this by his superiors. But then that comparison is like trying to compare to apples to oranges.

The third video, he once again applies rainx to one half of the rear window, and a spray on ceramic coating, I believe from Turtle Wax, though it is not a dedicated ceramic spray for windows, just says can be used on glass. After some high speed driving, the ceramic coating is only marinally better than the rainx. To me the surface is not slippery enough for any clearing of the beaded drops.

From my research, when you are getting a ceramic coating on your vehicle, there is a ceramic coating that is specifically for glass. Most places recommend getting more than a single coating, for durability and sheeting action.

I have to admit I do have one on order, with a refundable desposit, supposed to be here next month. Really not sure what to do, if the positives FAR OUTWAY this pretty big negative. Thinking if I do really like it, to lease it, rather than buy it and hopefully at the end of the lease, move up to a newer one if they get the rear wiper problem solved.
Ummm, rear view visibility wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.  You have a reverse camera for backing up, cross traffic alert sensor, side view monitor and I assume it has the same feature where it shoots a video feed to you instrument panel showing what beside/behind you.  You won’t be hauling anything with it.  You have side mirrors.

Would it be better with a wiper, of course, but so would my GLI, I manage just fine.

Don’t let a minor flaw ruin a great vehicle.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2022, 05:00:13 pm »
My Saturn SW2 & Spark EV has/had a rear wiper and quite vertical angle rear glass but none of Volt gen 1 & 2 have, I can easily deal wit the rear defroster alone, not an issue to me.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2022, 09:13:19 pm »
The biggest drawback to the Ioniq5 is the lack of a rear wiper. Sure it looks clean, but the spoiler is supposed to have downforce for the air to clean the window. Doesn't work. There is a employee from Hyundai dealer in the Fraser Valley, that has done some youtube videos in regards to this problem.  Its alway raining in his videos which is good thing, and he has a rear facing camera. In the first video, he admits that there should be a wiper and the vision becomes very blurry in just a few minutes.

In the second video he uses rainx on the rear window and it really isn't any better. I think he tries to downplay the lack of vision saying the there are delivery vans that don't have any rear windows at all, so having blurred rearward vision is no big dieal. Thinking he was probably told to say this by his superiors. But then that comparison is like trying to compare to apples to oranges.

The third video, he once again applies rainx to one half of the rear window, and a spray on ceramic coating, I believe from Turtle Wax, though it is not a dedicated ceramic spray for windows, just says can be used on glass. After some high speed driving, the ceramic coating is only marinally better than the rainx. To me the surface is not slippery enough for any clearing of the beaded drops.

From my research, when you are getting a ceramic coating on your vehicle, there is a ceramic coating that is specifically for glass. Most places recommend getting more than a single coating, for durability and sheeting action.

I have to admit I do have one on order, with a refundable desposit, supposed to be here next month. Really not sure what to do, if the positives FAR OUTWAY this pretty big negative. Thinking if I do really like it, to lease it, rather than buy it and hopefully at the end of the lease, move up to a newer one if they get the rear wiper problem solved.
Ummm, rear view visibility wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.  You have a reverse camera for backing up, cross traffic alert sensor, side view monitor and I assume it has the same feature where it shoots a video feed to you instrument panel showing what beside/behind you.  You won’t be hauling anything with it.  You have side mirrors.

Would it be better with a wiper, of course, but so would my GLI, I manage just fine.

Thanks for the advice. The model I ordered, when changing lanes, a visual comes up on the instrument panel, so that your blind spot is eliminated, but having said that I have always adjusted my mirrors so that I don't have a blind spot. I usualy like a clear view to the back, to see how close someone is following, it can make a differnce as to how hard I can brake if the light is changing or if it is better to go through then risk them rear ending the vehicle. I live on the WEsT Coast, and we have a really rainy climate. so rear wiper gets used more than two or three times a year. However I am keeping my options open, that is why I stated that I could lease the vehicle. Its going to be tough decision thats for sure.
Listen, I’m not saying your concerns aren’t valid or that you don’t need rear visibility.  All I’m saying is that for me it wouldn’t be a deal breaker and that maybe you should give it a chance and really consider how much this issue effects you.  You stated that your climate had a lot of rain and that you worry about someone rear ending you.  That is not a concern for me, I can’t control the person behind me and hence I focus my attention on things in front of me for the most part.  If someone rear ends me, it’ll be their fault. 

So in summary, your points are valid, the different is the value you allocate on them, for me it’s minimal, but others (you) it could be much greater.

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2022, 02:10:39 pm »
I'm like you and keep a pretty regular eye on what's going on behind me, but I find it's so vehicle specific as to the need for a wiper.  Some I've owned I barely ever turn on, but the Macan we have now I use it constantly during this slushy weather.  I don't think it's something you'd get from a test drive, but I also wouldn't let it stop me or be a big deal, just an irritant in worst case.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2022, 02:18:00 pm »
It's odd..I thought the Prius would need a rear wiper..but nope.

Again..not sure if because of the aerodynamics or the very pronounced inward curve in the middle of the glass..but have never needed a wiper. Stays totally clear.

But the very rear gets totally covered in dirt, snow, etc

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2022, 04:41:53 pm »
The GTI could be bad in the winter when on the highway. This is after only 10 km of driving on snow covered roads.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2022, 09:16:17 pm »
The GTI could be bad in the winter when on the highway. This is after only 10 km of driving on snow covered roads.

Many years ago I was driving from Halifax back home to SJ in my 93 Civic Si hatch - about 450kms.  The roads were a slushy sandy messy during the three days I spent in Hfx and my car was filthy after driving around in those conditions.  The highways were clear and it started snowing during the last 100kms, or so.  It was a blustery fluffy light snow and blowing straight at me.  There wasn't much accumulating because of the wind so I didn't slow down at all.  By the time I got home my car was completely clean, actually shiny clean like it just got detailed.  It's never happened to me since.  Just the right conditions and speed i guess.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2022, 11:40:50 pm »

It’s a huge one for me - I mean just today, my Kona electric rear window was all clogged up in snow and ice, without the wiper…I’d have to either clean it every time or give up on that spot all together…this is also true for spring and mucky roads!!

There are other design issues as well:

1- the door handles get stuck in snow - I can only imagine what will happen when it freezes…

2- the charge port gets clogged up with snow, ice, dirt….and gets stuck. The Kona has the same issue - I.e. I insulated the port to help mitigate this issue and carry a can of wd-40 with me….there’s no manual way to ‘force open’ the charge door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2022, 12:10:18 am »
^^^^ Am glad I have no such issues with my Prime.

I guess I can live with the back of my car getting dirty rather than issues like that!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2022, 08:08:33 am »
Not sure why EV manufacturers feel they have to come up with « better mousetrap » door handle designs. I bet these do not make 1 km difference in range.

The Mach-E doors work quite well in all conditions including heavy icing range, the problem is that if someone not familiar with those doors is coming with me, I need to get out and teach them how to open the stupid door.