Author Topic: 2022 F-150 Lightning  (Read 77864 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: 2022 F-150 Lightning
« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2023, 02:43:31 pm »
Lightning production has restarted and apparently they are going to have a run rate of 150k/year by the end of next month. Ford also says demand is 6x what it was before the price cuts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/01/ford-restarts-f-150-lightning-production-amid-heightened-demand.html

Ford has dug themselves into a hole they may never get out of.  Jumping on the EV bandwagon without understanding what should and should not be an EV.  Currently, Ford loses up to $65K USD on every Lightning until they start producing in scale like the gas unit.  But still who is going to buy these things at scale ?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/07/27/heres-why-theres-lots-of-angst-against-ford-these-days.html?&recirc=taboolainternal

Perhaps Ford should have built their battery plant first.  Not open till 2026.  Cart before the horse.

Should have started small like the Koreans.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2023, 12:00:37 am »
Ford's mess is a really good case of them just not reading the room....5 years ago they had a lot going on; F-150 selling in masses, at strong margins, with no signs of slowing, Mustang too, the shift to crossover/SUV working in their favor, lots of fresh Police contracts on Explorer, etc. Then they put all their eggs into one very expensive EV basket, with the economy in a precarious state and rising inflation / interest rates. Never mind the fact that the lightning is a turd from a functionality standpoint.

The Koreans will come out the winners on this, as I've said many times, from a purely economic standpoint, there's no beating a simple naturally aspirated four cylinder, 140hp, mechanically simple, cheap to produce, cheap to own, etc. Compact sedan or compact CUV, when finances get tight, that's where the volume is going to go because the math works.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ford succeed though; they're building 'Blue Oval City', their newest/largest manufacturing campus about 30 minutes away from our new place in TN....Potential there to bring a lot of economic activity to an otherwise pretty slow area of SW Tennessee. Likely won't hurt real estate in the area either.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2023, 12:17:07 am »
Local dealer was offering a base Lightning model (XLT, standard battery) for $65K!  This included the $5K iZEV credit.

I spec'd out an equivalent ICE XLT with similar features and it was actually more expensive than the Lightning.

Can't say I wasn't tempted... but still couldn't pull the trigger.  Waiting for the Cybertruck specs and price before making a call.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2023, 07:06:46 am »
Did you test drive it? I have to say I am mightily impressed with my BIL Lightning.

Online EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 10, 2023, 10:56:29 am »
Lightning production has restarted and apparently they are going to have a run rate of 150k/year by the end of next month. Ford also says demand is 6x what it was before the price cuts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/01/ford-restarts-f-150-lightning-production-amid-heightened-demand.html

Ford has dug themselves into a hole they may never get out of.  Jumping on the EV bandwagon without understanding what should and should not be an EV.  Currently, Ford loses up to $65K USD on every Lightning until they start producing in scale like the gas unit.  But still who is going to buy these things at scale ?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/07/27/heres-why-theres-lots-of-angst-against-ford-these-days.html?&recirc=taboolainternal

Perhaps Ford should have built their battery plant first.  Not open till 2026.  Cart before the horse.

Should have started small like the Koreans.
That’s OK, transition to EV was not going to be profitable for a while…Ford was expecting 2027?!

In the mean time…anyone guy a gas vehicle is paying through the roof to help Ford transitions…

This is the plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 10, 2023, 10:59:27 am »
Ford's mess is a really good case of them just not reading the room....5 years ago they had a lot going on; F-150 selling in masses, at strong margins, with no signs of slowing, Mustang too, the shift to crossover/SUV working in their favor, lots of fresh Police contracts on Explorer, etc. Then they put all their eggs into one very expensive EV basket, with the economy in a precarious state and rising inflation / interest rates. Never mind the fact that the lightning is a turd from a functionality standpoint.

The Koreans will come out the winners on this, as I've said many times, from a purely economic standpoint, there's no beating a simple naturally aspirated four cylinder, 140hp, mechanically simple, cheap to produce, cheap to own, etc. Compact sedan or compact CUV, when finances get tight, that's where the volume is going to go because the math works.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ford succeed though; they're building 'Blue Oval City', their newest/largest manufacturing campus about 30 minutes away from our new place in TN....Potential there to bring a lot of economic activity to an otherwise pretty slow area of SW Tennessee. Likely won't hurt real estate in the area either.
…F150 is still selling in masses; CUVs are still selling in masses to…what’s this mess?! Using ICE profits to ramp up and build their EV arm? That’s strategic, nothing to do with ‘mess’…

You can’t be like Toyota and pretend you have EVs and the all of a sudden pretend even harder to stay relevant…

There’s no way out people, the transition is mandated..forced on all of you…move or be moved [emoji851]

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2023, 11:35:04 am »

…F150 is still selling in masses; CUVs are still selling in masses to…what’s this mess?! Using ICE profits to ramp up and build their EV arm? That’s strategic, nothing to do with ‘mess’…

You can’t be like Toyota and pretend you have EVs and the all of a sudden pretend even harder to stay relevant…

There’s no way out people, the transition is mandated..forced on all of you…move or be moved [emoji851]

17 for sale right now in Calgary.  Some at discounts.

They aren’t moving.

🤓

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2023, 11:35:52 am »
Did you test drive it? I have to say I am mightily impressed with my BIL Lightning.

You keep saying this.  It what way is it impressive?

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2023, 01:03:20 pm »

I'm sure it's a lovely test drive.  Road trips? No.  Towing?  That's a joke.  And wait a minute, it gets cold in Canada....

I mean, lease one as your household's second vehicle if you want....but I think you're crazy if you're paying cash for one to drive for the next ten years as your primary workhorse.  There has never been a product that's more "here and now" and it's incredibly obvious that the next generations are going to be much, much more usable, at least in terms of range (not towing).

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #530 on: August 10, 2023, 01:08:36 pm »
I could see building some pure electrics for the early adopters, but they really should have used most of those batteries to hybridize the vehicles they already had

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #531 on: August 10, 2023, 01:49:32 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/electric-vehicle-trip-charging-infrastructure-1.6932074

Betcha this guy is not too happy about the latest price reductions either.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #532 on: August 10, 2023, 01:54:28 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/electric-vehicle-trip-charging-infrastructure-1.6932074

I saw that and had the same thought  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #533 on: August 10, 2023, 02:01:20 pm »

Boy, that sounds like a great vacation. I remember when I went to a fuel station and the pump wasn't compatible with my fuel....I drove 10 ft ahead from the diesel to the petrol pump. This just sounds like such a pain in the...lower back area, no thanks.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #534 on: August 10, 2023, 03:56:32 pm »

Boy, that sounds like a great vacation. I remember when I went to a fuel station and the pump wasn't compatible with my fuel....I drove 10 ft ahead from the diesel to the petrol pump. This just sounds like such a pain in the...lower back area, no thanks.

Remember a trip years back exploring southwestern Saskatchewan (really neat actually) and how desolate it was makes me think that getting of the Trans Canada highway to explore a bit might not be possible in a EV. But hey, we’re all getting mandated to a EV  anyway  ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #535 on: August 10, 2023, 06:25:25 pm »

Powerful, comfortable, refined ride with independent rear suspension , silent. BIL had it for 8 months now, no issues. And it gets cold where he is.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #536 on: August 10, 2023, 08:34:09 pm »
 Frankly, I think this story is complete BS, but it's straight from the Liberal Party news network so it must be true?  :)

Online EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 10, 2023, 10:11:42 pm »

Remember a trip years back exploring southwestern Saskatchewan (really neat actually) and how desolate it was makes me think that getting of the Trans Canada highway to explore a bit might not be possible in a EV. But hey, we’re all getting mandated to a EV  anyway  ;D
TODAY, it’s not possible…

In 5y? Likely….

Online EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2023, 10:13:34 pm »

I'm sure it's a lovely test drive.  Road trips? No.  Towing?  That's a joke.  And wait a minute, it gets cold in Canada....

I mean, lease one as your household's second vehicle if you want....but I think you're crazy if you're paying cash for one to drive for the next ten years as your primary workhorse.  There has never been a product that's more "here and now" and it's incredibly obvious that the next generations are going to be much, much more usable, at least in terms of range (not towing).
Hey it’s my primary vehicle here and I moved outside the city all together! 110km each way, no issues at all…

And I tow my side by side as well, again no issue…

Does it require a tiny bit of planning? Yuppers…

But ….savings to date?! $7,500 and going up…[emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2023, 11:27:27 pm »

I test drove the XLT with the extended range battery.  The truck was fast, and quiet.  One-pedal driving was insanely good.  I really liked the Ford Lightning.  It's just that interest rates are way too high right now.  I'll likely get one once interest rates stabilize.