Author Topic: 2022 F-150 Lightning  (Read 77828 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: 2022 F-150 Lightning
« Reply #500 on: July 20, 2023, 04:25:04 pm »

Give up people, gas will be $3 soon...

When is soon? You keep saying soon. Please use a real measurement of time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 20, 2023, 04:30:26 pm »
Ok, so 80% of truck owners don’t tow. I’d bet that 80% also don’t care what it’s costs to fill. And 80% don’t want to spend 10-20k more for a truck that really can’t tow (the 20% that do tow probably want to go more than 200km hitched up) just to not have to buy gas. It’ll go 0-60 in 4 seconds and is quiet, do 80% of truck buyers value this?

This thing was so hellfire amazing they wouldn’t be putting big discounts on them. Remember less than a year ago when the hype was a level 10 they were selling well over invoice. The inventory for loaded F150 ICE models is still low, yet the EV twin is piling up in dealer lots. The platinum Lightning I got a ride in back in April is still at my local Ford dealer. Hard pill to swallow at over 100 grand.
Been a hard pill for Ford to swallow too, since they lose money (lots of it) on every EV sold.
That’s part of the process - you get the ICE people to pay for the EV transition and investments. It’s the same approach Tesla took, took them years before they reached profitability….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And although currently profitable (with lots of help from govt) they still haven't made back what they lost...

There's also a massive difference:  Tesla was developing brand new vehicles from the ground up.  They didn't have an existing platform they could electrify.  They didn't own any manufacturing facilities, or existing supplier relationships, etc.  The amount of startup and on-going capital they required was massive.

On the other hand, Ford just took an existing platform, (F150) and electrified it.  They're able to share the development costs of the F-150 Lightning amongst the rest of the gas-powered trucks, sales of which greatly outnumber the Lightning. 

Even the Mach E just took a modified C2 platform from the Focus, Edge, etc, and modified it for electrification.

So for the Lightning to still not be making them any money, well, just goes to show it should be a lot more expensive than it actually is.
Ahhh so much resistance and arguments, and this and that…

Give up people, gas will be $3 soon and some of you might have no alternative but to convert [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Plug in hybrids are the way forward for many more people. Far fewer impediments to ownership and make better economic sense.

So much resistance from the pure EV Stans....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:41:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #502 on: July 20, 2023, 05:14:52 pm »

And the only rate that won't go up is Hydro/Electricity right? Charging these expensive EV's will cost how much? :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

$3 gas and I'll buy a Prius or another efficient car. I'm not selling my truck, just drive it less.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #503 on: July 20, 2023, 05:18:26 pm »

I could see myself in a hybrid down the line sometime, but a pure EV, yeah, no. Maybe when were 80, live in an apartment and a far drive is to the Sobeys, bingo hall, doctors and mall to walk down the middle of the aisles and hold up young people.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 20, 2023, 07:17:54 pm »

If you don't tow on the regular, then why own a truck?  A CUV with a trailer does all the hauling a pickup does.

Owning or renting a trailer can be a pain in the ass and isn't nearly as handy as a pickup truck. But I agree they are a reasonable option.

There are lots of non towing reasons to own an electric truck.  Because fuel costs are negligible, it can be a daily driver in the city of all things.  It doesn't need to fulfill all the truck duties. If you're towing long distances Ford will happily sell you a diesel motor.

People seem to think because it doesn't work for them it can work for anybody.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 20, 2023, 10:24:08 pm »

I really thought 3y, but take a look: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtZy622guO6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 20, 2023, 10:25:24 pm »
Ok, so 80% of truck owners don’t tow. I’d bet that 80% also don’t care what it’s costs to fill. And 80% don’t want to spend 10-20k more for a truck that really can’t tow (the 20% that do tow probably want to go more than 200km hitched up) just to not have to buy gas. It’ll go 0-60 in 4 seconds and is quiet, do 80% of truck buyers value this?

This thing was so hellfire amazing they wouldn’t be putting big discounts on them. Remember less than a year ago when the hype was a level 10 they were selling well over invoice. The inventory for loaded F150 ICE models is still low, yet the EV twin is piling up in dealer lots. The platinum Lightning I got a ride in back in April is still at my local Ford dealer. Hard pill to swallow at over 100 grand.
Been a hard pill for Ford to swallow too, since they lose money (lots of it) on every EV sold.
That’s part of the process - you get the ICE people to pay for the EV transition and investments. It’s the same approach Tesla took, took them years before they reached profitability….

And although currently profitable (with lots of help from govt) they still haven't made back what they lost...

There's also a massive difference:  Tesla was developing brand new vehicles from the ground up.  They didn't have an existing platform they could electrify.  They didn't own any manufacturing facilities, or existing supplier relationships, etc.  The amount of startup and on-going capital they required was massive.

On the other hand, Ford just took an existing platform, (F150) and electrified it.  They're able to share the development costs of the F-150 Lightning amongst the rest of the gas-powered trucks, sales of which greatly outnumber the Lightning. 

Even the Mach E just took a modified C2 platform from the Focus, Edge, etc, and modified it for electrification.

So for the Lightning to still not be making them any money, well, just goes to show it should be a lot more expensive than it actually is.

Give up people, gas will be $3 soon and some of you might have no alternative but to convert [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Plug in hybrids are the way forward for many more people. Far fewer impediments to ownership and make better economic sense.

PHEVs are a dying breed…

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 20, 2023, 10:39:39 pm »

PHEVs are a dying breed…

Oh..is this another timeline like $3 gas?  Timeline for PHEV phase out?

Because I see various manufacturers adding PHEVs to their line up rather than them phasing them out.

You EV slappies are sure drinking the Kool-Aid!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #508 on: July 20, 2023, 11:09:01 pm »
Owning or renting a trailer can be a pain in the ass and isn't nearly as handy as a pickup truck. But I agree they are a reasonable option.

Rural people buy the majority of 1/2s and 3/4 tons because their environment allows them to.  Some people buy life insurance and pay a premium all their life and some people buy pickups so they aren't crushed in a wiener vehicle like a sardine and forgo the life insurance.

Utility trailers are the go to for moving crap around, although they get the crap beat out of them which is actually the point.  Of course you need to have a place to park it which excludes 99% of urban dwellers.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 21, 2023, 07:48:08 pm »

PHEVs are a dying breed…

Oh..is this another timeline like $3 gas?  Timeline for PHEV phase out?

Because I see various manufacturers adding PHEVs to their line up rather than them phasing them out.

You EV slappies are sure drinking the Kool-Aid!
Maybe Toyota?!

Everybody else is pretty much moving away from PHEVs, that is a shrinking market.

I swear I am not an EV slappie - I drive them because they are very cheap to run right now…If gas went back to $1-$1.2, I’d totally explore the idea of going backwards…

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #510 on: July 22, 2023, 08:01:26 am »

I will continue driving an ICE even if its $4

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #511 on: July 29, 2023, 07:15:05 am »
PHEVs are a dying breed…

Maybe Toyota?!

Everybody else is pretty much moving away from PHEVs, that is a shrinking market.

As Ford loses billions on EVs, the company embraces hybrids

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/28/ford-embraces-hybrids-as-it-loses-billions-on-evs.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2023, 12:55:44 pm »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2023, 01:45:45 pm »
PHEVs are a dying breed…

Maybe Toyota?!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/28/ford-embraces-hybrids-as-it-loses-billions-on-evs.html

:rofl: Totally makes sense

I spent a lot of years working on in big technological change in farming and what I went by was

-don't get ideologically stuck on the 'fundamentalist option', things might get there, but it can take time before the technology is ready

-in that vein, look to see what people actually find useful

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2023, 02:25:03 pm »
PHEVs are a dying breed…

Maybe Toyota?!

:rofl: Totally makes sense

I spent a lot of years working on in big technological change in farming and what I went by was

-don't get ideologically stuck on the 'fundamentalist option', things might get there, but it can take time before the technology is ready

-in that vein, look to see what people actually find useful

Good advice!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2023, 10:53:10 am »
The EV transition or whatever you want to call it would have been just fine if government had kept their nose out of it. It ay have taken 50 years but it would be based on facts and results.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2023, 10:58:53 am »
The EV transition or whatever you want to call it would have been just fine if government had kept their nose out of it. It ay have taken 50 years but it would be based on facts and results.

By that logic we shouldn't have any environmental regulations.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2023, 11:00:54 am »
Lightning production has restarted and apparently they are going to have a run rate of 150k/year by the end of next month. Ford also says demand is 6x what it was before the price cuts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/01/ford-restarts-f-150-lightning-production-amid-heightened-demand.html

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2023, 11:46:49 am »

By that logic we shouldn't have any environmental regulations.

I think most people don't want to pollute more than they have to.  Society moved on from horse & buggy and coal steam engines when better more efficient options became viable.

The government should impose unachievable environmental targets on the airline industry. No more jet engines by 2035!  :rofl2:  Also no more fertilizer! Heavy shipping can only use electricity or perhaps solar power propulsion by 2035!

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2023, 12:42:14 pm »
Looks like it does well in the, uh, mud.  Sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHiAMBqrMoc